Pages:
Author

Topic: Why didn't you sell? - page 6. (Read 13315 times)

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
December 09, 2013, 09:34:31 AM
You mean in USD terms?

If that's what you have in mind: my trading gains are obviously much smaller than the pure appreciation gains, but if you have some internal btc goal in mind and invested already all or most of the fiat you want to, any further progress towards that goal has to come from active trading.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
December 09, 2013, 09:25:00 AM
looks like those who sold and tried to "time" the bottom lost coins or gained fractions, all that time and stress for nothing lol

That's a bit presumptuous, isn't it? I sold a decent portion of my btc holding at ~950-1000, re-bought at ~700-750. Sure, I didn't sleep as good as usual during the weekend, and was somewhat distracted most of the time, but I made an approximately 30% coin profit. Was it worth it? Sure.

30% from decent portion = 3% of all your coins ?

About 10% total. Maybe we have different definitions of "worth it"?

And what % is increase in coins since begin of year ?
legendary
December 09, 2013, 09:21:29 AM
looks like those who sold and tried to "time" the bottom lost coins or gained fractions, all that time and stress for nothing lol

That's a bit presumptuous, isn't it? I sold a decent portion of my btc holding at ~950-1000, re-bought at ~700-750. Sure, I didn't sleep as good as usual during the weekend, and was somewhat distracted most of the time, but I made an approximately 30% coin profit. Was it worth it? Sure.

About 10% total. Maybe we have different definitions of "worth it"?
legendary
Activity: 1400
December 09, 2013, 09:19:02 AM

legendary
December 09, 2013, 09:12:18 AM

legendary
Activity: 1441
Live and enjoy experiments
December 09, 2013, 09:09:36 AM
Hindsight is always 20/20, some people just take it to extreme.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106
December 09, 2013, 08:45:23 AM
I sold.  For sure.  Sold at $1107. Bought back in at $690.  Missed the bottom in both directions, but was happy to get SIXTY PERCENT MORE coins than what I had on Friday!  WooT!

Dude congratulations for being one of the smartest users on the forum.

This is exactly what I've been trying to explain to them all along and there you come and prove me right!

Thank you dude, thank you!

And for those who think this is gambling...well for sure you don't know what you're talking about.

Actually I would argue that holding your Bitcoins after the announcement would've been more gambling!

you seem to be smart. so please tell me:

is this a bull trap right now, should i sell now to buy back later and cheaper ?

or is the btc going back to da moon for sure and i am missing the train if i don´t buy back now ?

facts are known now: chinese news wasn´t actually that bad at all, more of a market panic. or did a lot of buyers lost faith now and this is just a dead cat bounce back ?

op, let´s say you got 100 k on stake, what do you tell me to do. of course i will sue you if it doesn´t come out the way you advise me. (just to get you to a really serious advise.)

if you have balls, please tell me.
Activity: 308
Merit: 251
Giga
December 09, 2013, 08:40:51 AM
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087
December 09, 2013, 08:38:47 AM
quick poll. hands up those people who lost BTC recently by holding?

...@....
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087
December 09, 2013, 08:36:57 AM
I sold.  For sure.  Sold at $1107. Bought back in at $690.  Missed the bottom in both directions, but was happy to get SIXTY PERCENT MORE coins than what I had on Friday!  WooT!

This is exactly what I've been trying to explain to them all along and there you come and prove me right!

And for those who think this is gambling...well for sure you don't know what you're talking about.

Actually I would argue that holding your Bitcoins after the announcement would've been more gambling!

Most speculators lose money.

Thing is you're not getting the point.

The ones speculating are the ones who didn't sell while it was going down. Why? because you were speculating that the price will go up again. <-- this is speculating by itself.

Selling after the announcement was a safer strategy. 

congrats on "winning" by redefining words to mean what you want them to. stand up job. I'm sure everyone who reads this thread will be teh smrtr for it.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
December 09, 2013, 05:42:38 AM
i did sell. started selling at 1000 and ended when it crashed.  Undecided
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Small Red and Bad
December 09, 2013, 05:37:40 AM

LOL What announcement? Why would a sane person join this idiotic sell off caused by misinterpretation, and gox lag?

Activity: 378
Merit: 255
December 09, 2013, 05:33:18 AM
Many people panicked after the shut down of Silk Road and sold their coins.  The rebound was really fast though and then many had to buy in at a higher price and ended up with less coins. The China situation could have had the same response. Nothing is a sure thing with BTC.

For some of us with BTC in cold storage, it is a bit time consuming to get coins on exchanges.  Then the risk of trading them is a bit daunting.  It is not a guarantee that the price will drop much.  For those of us that do not want to end up with more fiat then BTC it is just not worth the risk.  We are thinking long term here.  To end up with $10,000 or more in fiat now would be stupid if the BTC we sold is worth $100,000 in a few months.  It is way less risky to just buy and hold.

And you have to understand that Bitchick came to this realization after daytrading .5 BTC for several months and ending up with...  .48 BTC.

Once you try it OP, you'll see just how "easy" it is.  I did buy and hold 2 more BTC this weekend since the price was significantly under $1000 and it's probably my last opportunity to do so.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom
December 09, 2013, 04:33:40 AM
If everyone sold, you would not be feeling like a winner Wink If i had sold everyone would have lost, so thank me this time Wink
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
December 09, 2013, 04:08:59 AM

Most speculators lose money.

Thing is you're not getting the point.

The ones speculating are the ones who didn't sell while it was going down. Why? because you were speculating that the price will go up again. <-- this is speculating by itself.

Selling after the announcement was a safer strategy. 

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
December 09, 2013, 03:57:35 AM

Activity: 910
Merit: 501
December 09, 2013, 03:22:36 AM
Didn't sell because I saw what I interpreted as market manipulation which resulted in a combination of mass panic and speculators expecting "teh cheep coinz".  Sure, you can try to guess at precisely how dumb people can be ($800?  $700?  $600?), and if you guess right, congratulations.  But you're only guessing at mass psychology and the whims of the whales.  Generally, a foolish thing to do.  We'll rebound and things will go back to usual shortly.

Also, I tend to be morally opposed to contributing to panics to fatten my wallet.  I know most of you are in it for the quick buck, but some of us would rather sink or swim with Bitcoin.

But of you know for certain it's a panic, you don't need to call the bottom. You just need to buy back coins at a lower price than what you originally bought them for.
Activity: 910
Merit: 501
December 09, 2013, 03:20:28 AM
I sold.  For sure.  Sold at $1107. Bought back in at $690.  Missed the bottom in both directions, but was happy to get SIXTY PERCENT MORE coins than what I had on Friday!  WooT!

You sold ALL your BTCs? That's a dangerous gamble. One that historically didn't succeed. - the one that has historically been a winner is pushing BUY at any given moment.

You got lucky. Probably you won't in the future. Try to accumulate as much coins as possible and then gradually sell for profit when you hit your targets.

Good luck.

Sort of a gamble... I'm still mining, so there's always new coins coming in. So if the prices rise, I win at mining, if the price drops, I win at buying back more coins than I had before. Fully hedged I am.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Small Red and Bad
December 08, 2013, 10:59:50 PM
I bought at 150 and will hold until I'm at a loss. Currently it's a constant win because every month it goes up.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
December 08, 2013, 10:09:18 PM
Didn't sell because I saw what I interpreted as market manipulation which resulted in a combination of mass panic and speculators expecting "teh cheep coinz".  Sure, you can try to guess at precisely how dumb people can be ($800?  $700?  $600?), and if you guess right, congratulations.  But you're only guessing at mass psychology and the whims of the whales.  Generally, a foolish thing to do.  We'll rebound and things will go back to usual shortly.

Also, I tend to be morally opposed to contributing to panics to fatten my wallet.  I know most of you are in it for the quick buck, but some of us would rather sink or swim with Bitcoin.
Pages:
Jump to: