Pages:
Author

Topic: Why I'm switching to mXBT — and why you should too - page 7. (Read 24641 times)

Activity: 116
Merit: 10
I actually believe this is a pretty big problem in the marketing aspect of this thing, and that it's not really a good idea to have the base-unit that everyone uses be 1/21million of the total units ever.

What's funny is that when I explain Bitcoin to people, the first question they have is "So what actually IS a bitcoin", and I have to explain that there's no such thing, that it's just a ledger with entries, and that the base-unit is actually a Satoshi which makes 1 BTC be 100million base-units. Then the reaction to that is usually "Oh so it's like futuristic "credits" from the sci-fi movies", which isn't all that inaccurate really. And people grew up watching all these sci-fi movies where in the future you just have ambiguous "credits", and that's how they relate to it.

If the base-unit was 1-credit (which is just 1 satoshi), then it would solve all these problems. You'd just buy 1million credits for like a dollar, and there would never be a need to adjust any of this stuff. Even if we start calling it mXBT, at some point that's going to become "too expensive" as well. Why not just use the actual base-unit and call the whole thing by its real name?

There are only 2.1 quadrillion "base units" that will exist, ever. This is clearly not enough in a growth situation as you suggest, so the base unit will have to be changed anyways. Better deal with fixed-value units than volatile-value ones.

Are you saying that 2.1 quadrillion credits/satoshis aren't enough? By all accounts there are only several trillions of dollars in existence, maybe in the tens of trillions, but that's it. Say that we want to measure in cents, so that it compares to one of Bitcoin's base-unit, then we're still talking about some hundred trillion cents, or maybe a quadrillion. And that's after massive inflation. I would think that 2.1 quadrillion credits is more than enough.

Even if that's true, that's a problem with Bitcoin itself, not its nominal denomination. I still think that referring to it by its base-unit will make it easier for everyone who's new into it understand, and allow them to get in at any price-point, rather than having to buy 0.5BTC or 0.1BTC. They could get in with 1 dollar if they wanted to. All without the mental barrier that the single unit is actually 1BTC=100million
Activity: 525
Merit: 500
I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, but would rather not use BTC for mainstream usage, it's too nerdy. No one has a BTC key and they aren't going to learn alt codes.

I would love to see Clark Moody or others switch to mBTC as default. Or is that already available somewhere?

in edit - I've posted to Clarks page.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
I agree. Switching to mɃ from now on. I suggest we just call these "millibits," which is easier to say than "millibitcoin".

Millies have been agreed upon for millibitcoins and Mickeys for microbitcoins.

I'm pro.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories
I agree. I've just switched my client to mBTC too.

My concern with enabling it by default in the client is that it will confuse users; after all, all exchanges and merchants still use 'whole BTCs'.

So, keep up the good work of convincing people Smiley (maybe to list both BTC and mBTC prices, so it gets exposure)
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Agreed. I've heard people say they love the idea but can't afford one.

Those same people would have gladly said "I'm gonna but 50mBTC
Activity: 518
It really is funny how bad the human brain can function.

Like how terrible altcoin users try to say that their altcoin of choice is better than BTC because it has 4x more coins meaning the coins are cheaper!  It doesn't technically matter because is something costs 100USD it'll cost 100usd worth of BTC or whatever coin.

But yes, it'll help in the long run the sooner we can switch to mBTC/mXBT
FNG
Activity: 588
This is what Bitcoin needs IMO.

Most people do not want to buy less than 1. A lot of people would get on board if they felt like they were able to purchase a lot more. It also gets rid of the psychological factor of the previous crash.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
People are various surprised, impressed, proud and/or pleased that our unit is bigger than governments units.
Like this:

http://www.meetup.com/Dallas-Bitcoin-User-Meetup/events/117641062/

I been reading about bitcoin quick answer the us dollar has less value than bit coin ? 1 bit coin = to $117.49 usd ? that shit is fucking crazy I want fucking in on this shit lol
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1015
Strength in numbers
The psychology of this goes both ways. People are various surprised, impressed, proud and/or pleased that the value of our unit is bigger than governments' units. Many units and phrasings will be used in different contexts.

Seals chips are now mBTC, as they always have been.
legendary
Merit: 1076
100 years ago a quarter would get you a gallon of milk.

100 years ago things were sold in pennies.
legendary
Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020
Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!
100 years ago a quarter would get you a gallon of milk.
legendary
Merit: 1076
I actually believe this is a pretty big problem in the marketing aspect of this thing, and that it's not really a good idea to have the base-unit that everyone uses be 1/21million of the total units ever.

What's funny is that when I explain Bitcoin to people, the first question they have is "So what actually IS a bitcoin", and I have to explain that there's no such thing, that it's just a ledger with entries, and that the base-unit is actually a Satoshi which makes 1 BTC be 100million base-units. Then the reaction to that is usually "Oh so it's like futuristic "credits" from the sci-fi movies", which isn't all that inaccurate really. And people grew up watching all these sci-fi movies where in the future you just have ambiguous "credits", and that's how they relate to it.

If the base-unit was 1-credit (which is just 1 satoshi), then it would solve all these problems. You'd just buy 1million credits for like a dollar, and there would never be a need to adjust any of this stuff. Even if we start calling it mXBT, at some point that's going to become "too expensive" as well. Why not just use the actual base-unit and call the whole thing by its real name?

There are only 2.1 quadrillion "base units" that will exist, ever. This is clearly not enough in a growth situation as you suggest, so the base unit will have to be changed anyways. Better deal with fixed-value units than volatile-value ones.
Activity: 116
Merit: 10

Activity: 35
Merit: 0
Good post. I hope it has legs.
Activity: 772
Merit: 501
how do I get the bitcoin symbol for my keypad? 

I believe the one used in the OP is a custom font-type that only works in this forum. You can display the Baht symbol, ฿, by inputting unicode 0x0E3F.
Activity: 22
Merit: 0
how do I get the bitcoin symbol for my keypad? 
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
Mickeys sound like we are promoting Mickey Mouse.
- and here I was just thinking it was a racial slur. "Legend has it, their country was so poor, the famine ended once the EU sent them one Mickey, quintupling their GDP." ... I'm not very good with jokes, sometimes.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Mickeys sound like we are promoting Mickey Mouse.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
I don't understand what's wrong with "millibitcoin".

Are USians so afraid of the metric system?  Cheesy
pa
Activity: 527
Merit: 501
Millies have been agreed upon for millibitcoins and Mickeys for microbitcoins.

I could get used to "millies" and "mickeys". . . although they sound a bit like street names for illicit substances.
Pages:
Jump to: