Pages:
Author

Topic: Why is bitcoin now so absurdly stable when priced in USD? - page 3. (Read 4799 times)

legendary
Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001
buyers = sellers

That's obvious, the question is why buyers = sellers for past few months.

There was a report a few months ago that brokers from the London exchanges were becoming interested in Bitcoin.
I wonder if they are using their money to buy/sell within a limited range (5.00 - 5.20)? I mean, maybe they are not interested in buying and keeping BTC but they use their money to profit from the price movements. If a lot of them are doing this this would increase the depth like an above poster said.
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004
Nobody can answer this question.

You can only guess or speculate.

If youre happy with it, go on :
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
buyers = sellers

That's obvious, the question is why buyers = sellers for past few months.
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004
buyers = sellers

thats it.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
My theory:

Besides the growing depth of the market I also think it's all the various tools available to speculators to make bets about the exchange rate in any possible direction. We had bitcoinca where people could hedge or go long on a margin, we have several exchanges that offer arbitrage opportunities and we're getting more and more of these services which allow game theory to fully develop and that's really what is happening IMO game theory fully playing itself out between all the players.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
Thank pirate for the stability.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
I guess the market is prepared to buy 100% of the btc for sale at $5.10ish but not pay a nickle more. Why is this? Does bitcoin posses some quality that makes it inherently stable?

That is an incorrect assumption.

Price is always dependent on volume.  There are enough buyers and enough sellers that any trade which isn't an outlier to current daily volume can be absorbed without any significant change in price.

That doesn't mean the market is willing to absorb an unlimited volume without more slippage.  Try dropping $1M USD or 250K coins on to the market and I guarantee you the market will move.  Not only will it move directly (you simply sucking up the supply or demand) others will jump in and attempt to capitalize on that momentum. 

The "calm" is simply a metric of depth vs volume.  Depth has grown faster than volume (likely as many chased "free profits"). Today it takes "more" to move the price compared to a year ago.  Volume while it has grown, it hasn't grown by a comparable amount.  If volume quadruple and depth didn't increase you would see volatility take off again.

Activity: 141
Merit: 100
Bitcoin has been trading at very close to $5.10 US for 2 months now. Why so stable? bitcoin has previously been characterized as being a highly volatile commodity, store of value, currency, investment, call it what you will. If someone had predicted in 2011 that the price would stabilize at X price and not move for months we all would have laughed. What are the factors that contribute to the stability of bitcoin? I think it might related to the unprecedented liquidity of bitcoin. I guess the market is prepared to buy 100% of the btc for sale at $5.10ish but not pay a nickle more. Why is this? Does bitcoin posses some quality that makes it inherently stable?
Pages:
Jump to: