Pages:
Author

Topic: Why is bitcoin price not going up? - page 4. (Read 10824 times)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500
hm
July 04, 2013, 07:55:50 PM
Why is bitcoin price stuck around the same number and not  increasing, how likely  is it for bitcoin to steadily start going up again?

Bitcoin is scheduled to trade in a narrow range of 102 to 108 dollars until September.  From September until January it will gradually increase reaching a high of about 118.  That is why I am holding strong to my bitcoins till then.  The 2014 schedule has not been decided yet.

lol, what's your source?

It was in one of those articles about stuff the NSA does.  If you can understand it it is in the MtGox source code.

That was a funny one Smiley
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Activity: 752
July 04, 2013, 04:44:18 PM
thats exactly whats happening to Gold right now.  Nice!

Unless Gold supply is unlimited (paper Gold supply, that is). That's the big question.
All gold etf's have to have the physical to back them up.  The caveat being owners of a gold etf can never convert it directly to physical.  The physical price can go lower and at the same time the etf could dry up, loosing almost all value.  paper gold is dying a fast death. IMHO.  Never never never buy a bitcoin etf. For the record.

Peter Schiff on the winkle twins:
http://db.tt/2qZpfEG6
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531
yes
July 04, 2013, 04:30:41 PM

Unless Gold supply is unlimited (paper Gold supply, that is). That's the big question.
legendary
Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020
Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!
July 04, 2013, 04:25:07 PM
They wouldn't be able to buy up all the coins. And if they did then the price of 1 satoshi would SKYROCKET. Can you imagine 1000 dollars per satoshi?
Activity: 752
July 04, 2013, 04:21:26 PM
If I was in a government and I wanted to destroy bitcoin...

I'd figure out how to buy up all the coins with fiat and then destroy them.

M

It would be cheaper, and maybe even profitable (especially for those in the know), to create so much volatility using ETFs that it becomes difficult to use as a currency.

Doubtful. When they short sell, the price for the ETF goes down. The max that can be sold is the amount that is in the trust, 200000 BTC. If the ETF were to dump those shares on the actual market, 200000 would be sold to cover the sale, but really, that's it. They can only do it once. How many BTC are outstanding? The market would get artificially cheap coins! Done, bear out of ammo.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
July 04, 2013, 03:12:52 PM

M

It would be cheaper, and maybe even profitable (especially for those in the know), to create so much volatility using ETFs that it becomes difficult to use as a currency.

Doubtful. When they short sell, the price for the ETF goes down. The max that can be sold is the amount that is in the trust, 200000 BTC. If the ETF were to dump those shares on the actual market, 200000 would be sold to cover the sale, but really, that's it. They can only do it once. How many BTC are outstanding? The market would get artificially cheap coins! Done, bear out of ammo.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
KUPO!
July 04, 2013, 03:04:57 PM
exaclt.y if one bloke buys everything and refuses to sell then its game over. yeah people will make some money but the 'currency' wont exist anymore
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
July 04, 2013, 02:09:16 PM
And BTC as a currency would be destroyed.

Mission accomplished.
What are you talking about?

Of course it wouldn't, people would be mining like crazy to get that reward...

Selling BTC and having BTC as a currency are two different things.

M
Activity: 630
Bitgoblin
July 04, 2013, 01:21:23 PM

Mission accomplished.
What are you talking about?

Of course it wouldn't, people would be mining like crazy to get that reward...
legendary
July 04, 2013, 12:19:35 PM
You seriously believe that?  If the government always bought, and destroyed, every coin that every became available, it wouldn't hurt bitcoin?
If someone constantly bought coins "at whatever price", miners would be rich...

Mission accomplished.

M
Activity: 630
Bitgoblin
July 04, 2013, 09:39:04 AM
You seriously believe that?  If the government always bought, and destroyed, every coin that every became available, it wouldn't hurt bitcoin?
If someone constantly bought coins "at whatever price", miners would be rich...
legendary
July 04, 2013, 08:10:34 AM
Governments can and do make money out of thin air.  They can buy every single one and destroy them, it won't even appear as a blip on the deficit.  Yes, some people will make a lot of money off of it.  But bitcoin as we know it will be destroyed.

Actually this is expected, they need another big bubble to save them from the current mess

And bitcoin will not be destroyed, since most of the bitcoin owners will sell only a fraction of their coins, even the price goes to infinite, it doesn't hurt to have more coins at hand

M
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
July 04, 2013, 08:07:02 AM
Governments can and do make money out of thin air.  They can buy every single one and destroy them, it won't even appear as a blip on the deficit.  Yes, some people will make a lot of money off of it.  But bitcoin as we know it will be destroyed.

Actually this is expected, they need another big bubble to save them from the current mess

And bitcoin will not be destroyed, since most of the bitcoin owners will sell only a fraction of their coins, even the price goes to infinite, it doesn't hurt to have more coins at hand
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
July 04, 2013, 07:59:17 AM
Isn't it going up now?
legendary
July 04, 2013, 07:39:17 AM

M

Governments don't care about cheap ($500 hammer anyone?).  All they care about is power and control.  Buy every single coin for sale from every exchange.  It would be the beginning of the end.

M
legendary
July 04, 2013, 07:37:16 AM

M

If you buy then and destroy those X which you bought, then only 21M-X will remain on the market and price will be bigger. You can not destroy them...

THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF BITCOIN

You don't understand.  There's a finite number of bitcoins.  Governments can and do make money out of thin air.  They can buy every single one and destroy them, it won't even appear as a blip on the deficit.  Yes, some people will make a lot of money off of it.  But bitcoin as we know it will be destroyed.

M
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
July 04, 2013, 07:15:30 AM

M

ask
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004
July 04, 2013, 06:53:01 AM

M

If you buy then and destroy those X which you bought, then only 21M-X will remain on the market and price will be bigger. You can not destroy them...

THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF BITCOIN
legendary
July 04, 2013, 06:24:13 AM

M
Pages:
Jump to: