Pages:
Author

Topic: Why Is Bitcoin's Value So Volatile? - page 29. (Read 11234 times)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
August 13, 2017, 01:28:16 AM
As Bitcoin becomes more accepted globally, its value will become less volatile. For the time being, it is volatile because large individuals/corporations can have a big effect on the price due to the relatively low market cap.
Activity: 777
Merit: 251
August 12, 2017, 11:24:00 PM
Bitcoin is and always will be very volatile, but this does not mean having to give up his purchase. If you look at the chart of growth rates you will see that every year the price of bitcoin is increasing. This trend will persist for a very long time so you can buy it at any time.

so i should buy bitcoin at this point or when the value reduce.

Yes, it is still you need to buy more as long as you can afford to do it. Because like what others community expecting about in bitcoin it will reach 10, 000$ or more and more. Don't wait for the time when bitcoin reach it. it maybe down for its for awhile only then it will resume to the original value or more.
Activity: 377
Merit: 100
MenaPay - Crypto made easier than cash
August 12, 2017, 10:59:20 PM
Why Is Bitcoin's Value So Volatile? I am confused to buy bitcoin now when it's value is too high.

Don't be confused. Bitcoin's price depends on the market's demand. Its value at this moment is so expensive and maybe it has to do with the relation of supply and demand. Everything and anything that is in demand will result for a high value. Maybe, Bitcoin will be less volatile if it will be legalized to most of the countries where most of the people will use , spend and invest to it. That will make it in demand and will maintain a high price.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048
August 12, 2017, 08:17:19 PM
Bitcoin's value is volatile because there are not enough users/money invested worldwide.

Even a multimillionaire can have an effect on the price because if he buys lots of Bitcoins the price will go up.

Also if someone with lots of Bitcoins from 2009 or 2010 comes along then he dumps his coins there can be a global price drop.

But when there is more money invested (over $1,000,000,000,000) then no one will be able to affect the price a lot. Not even the richest people in the world. This is when the volatility will stop.
Indeed, this is the actual reason behind the volatile nature of Bitcoins. To become stable, it still needs much more support around the globe. The pace at which Bitcoins are becoming popular, it would not be an exaggeration to predict that within a decade Bitcoins will become the most stable digital currency worldwide.

This isn't even the whole of it. The lack of liquidity due to its small total valuation (yes, this is small) makes the uneducated investors respond with more effect. Dips become dumps; natural growth gets misinterpreted and then exaggerated.  A perfect example of this is what happened with BCC as it became available after the fork. People couldn't arb because everything was janked up, so the price started varying wildly per exchange (250 on hitbtc, 700 on Bittrex).

For whales it's hard to move your position around without making the market react.

And for those that say a billion is too high to manipulate, remember, rich people can work together Wink
Activity: 840
Merit: 516
August 12, 2017, 04:36:30 PM
Bitcoin's value is volatile because there are not enough users/money invested worldwide.

Even a multimillionaire can have an effect on the price because if he buys lots of Bitcoins the price will go up.

Also if someone with lots of Bitcoins from 2009 or 2010 comes along then he dumps his coins there can be a global price drop.

But when there is more money invested (over $1,000,000,000,000) then no one will be able to affect the price a lot. Not even the richest people in the world. This is when the volatility will stop.
Indeed, this is the actual reason behind the volatile nature of Bitcoins. To become stable, it still needs much more support around the globe. The pace at which Bitcoins are becoming popular, it would not be an exaggeration to predict that within a decade Bitcoins will become the most stable digital currency worldwide.
Activity: 546
Merit: 255
August 09, 2017, 12:44:15 PM
Bitcoin is and always will be very volatile, but this does not mean having to give up his purchase. If you look at the chart of growth rates you will see that every year the price of bitcoin is increasing. This trend will persist for a very long time so you can buy it at any time.

so i should buy bitcoin at this point or when the value reduce.
Wait for the value of bitcoin to decrease. There are many factors that trigger bitcoin's volatility like the rate of adoption for bitcoin is is being interfered by the news or the media. This kind of news scares potential bitcoin users and they are being forced to not invest in bitcoin at all. Watching or hearing bad news about bitcoin, triggers hesitation to potential users so mass adoption is progressing very slowly.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
August 09, 2017, 11:28:37 AM

Activity: 672
Merit: 250
August 09, 2017, 05:31:41 AM
The volatility happens in accordance to the circulation volume there in the market. Right now volatility is a major issue for very few users, who haven't tried making profit through the same. Some stated that due to volatility businesses were not much accepting bitcoin. Then how a country as a whole accepts bitcoin. This is all about trust and the behind technology.
As what I have studied, the smaller the market cap an asset has the more volatile. Just for example comparing it between a bucket of water versus a  swimming pool. So if you throw a rock on the bucket, the water is more disturbed than throwing a rock into the ocean.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1106
Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI
August 09, 2017, 04:07:23 AM
The volatility happens in accordance to the circulation volume there in the market. Right now volatility is a major issue for very few users, who haven't tried making profit through the same. Some stated that due to volatility businesses were not much accepting bitcoin. Then how a country as a whole accepts bitcoin. This is all about trust and the behind technology.
Activity: 508
Merit: 254
August 09, 2017, 02:45:21 AM
The price of Bitcoin depends on the community and that is why the price of it often goes up and down. the more people knowing it will make it less volatile. the growth of Bitcoin will still be huge, price Volatility is one of the characteristics of Bitcoin since price would really vary, depending on the supply and demand of Bitcoin.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
August 09, 2017, 02:26:47 AM
Why Is Bitcoin's Value So Volatile? I am confused to buy bitcoin now when it's value is too high.

I don't think there will come any moment when your confusion gets over because the price of bitcoin does not seem to be stable at all. Sometimes its high, and sometimes its too high, and seeing the market, it has been growing since its start though losing value in between but in the long term, it has been growing, so if someone really wants to invest in bitcoin, i don't think they should be confused seeing the potential bitcoin produces for everyone.
Activity: 560
Merit: 257
August 09, 2017, 02:17:34 AM

For me there is nothing unusual with bitcoin values because bitcoin values are indeed volatile. If you feel confused with bitcoin you better undo your intention to buy bitcoin and you better learn first how bitcoin works, you must have knowledge and understanding enough on bitcoin so that your investment in bitcoin can produce good result.
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
August 09, 2017, 02:03:44 AM
Commodities like oil have some intrinsic value - i.e. oil can be used to produce energy, which can be used to increase the value of raw materials by turning them into a finished product. That potential increase in value thus dictates how much someone is willing to pay for oil.

Since Bitcoin doesn't have that intrinsic value, it's price is all based on speculation, which makes it very uncertain, very volatile, and very open to market manipulation.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1353
August 09, 2017, 02:01:02 AM
I'm not saying with 100% sure, but seems it's the speculation what makes the volatility so high. Big holders, the whales, choose when provoke flutuations, making profit from trading this way. In a decentralized world who has more coins control the market, from my experience on Crypto-Currency world that is what I see. The little investors are just the little fishes on the sea, nothing they do cause a big impact.

We should remember that bitcoin is purely driven by speculation a negative news impacts the price to go down, while a positive once shoots it up. That's how it really works. So volatility of bitcoin has something to do with it. Yes, bag holders can also spike fluctuations, like if they sell a huge amount, it will cause a massive downward spiral and others would panic as well causing the price to crash. Little investors or the casual one are just fishes and should not go against the whales in the ocean, we can only react and can't go against the flow.

Since Bitcoin isn't yet adopted in most places, a large part of its supply and demand is based on price speculation.  So as the confidence changes, the price fluctuates a lot.  As its adoption increases and people send or receive payments for commerce instead of speculating on its price, it should be less volatile.

The rate of adoption of bitcoin is really slow because of several factors. But once it got to a point that people are really using bitcoin for online purpose, I think it can somewhat put less volatility. But what we all love about bitcoin is the price swings, specially for day traders and even for long term investors.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1728
August 09, 2017, 01:53:57 AM
Since Bitcoin isn't yet adopted in most places, a large part of its supply and demand is based on price speculation.  So as the confidence changes, the price fluctuates a lot.  As its adoption increases and people send or receive payments for commerce instead of speculating on its price, it should be less volatile.

I would like to add-on to this answer.
Generally value of currencies of different countries is determined by either country's gold deposits or deposits of registered securities with IMF. But Bitcoin is entirely different from conventional concept of currency. The only backing to Bitcoin is trust of people. As the trust of people regarding future of Bitcoin increases, its price increases whereas if people smell some contingencies in its near future, prices shatter.
So due to spontaneous ups/downs, Bitcoin is very volatile.
I disagree to above point regarding stability, we can't say that if we increase its use in commerce, it will decrease the speculative practices.
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
August 09, 2017, 01:05:33 AM
Since Bitcoin isn't yet adopted in most places, a large part of its supply and demand is based on price speculation.  So as the confidence changes, the price fluctuates a lot.  As its adoption increases and people send or receive payments for commerce instead of speculating on its price, it should be less volatile.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 525
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
August 09, 2017, 12:38:11 AM
I'm not saying with 100% sure, but seems it's the speculation what makes the volatility so high. Big holders, the whales, choose when provoke flutuations, making profit from trading this way. In a decentralized world who has more coins control the market, from my experience on Crypto-Currency world that is what I see. The little investors are just the little fishes on the sea, nothing they do cause a big impact.
Activity: 805
Merit: 250
August 09, 2017, 12:30:48 AM
bitcoin is volatile because it has a scale, it was once low and now it's  high. been decentralised is also an additional factor. 
Yes, bitcoin is decentralized and there is a lot of take control to it. That's the thing make bitcoin volatile, a possible fluctuation of prices every time. A simple theory may implies, when the demand is high the price is high and if the demand is low the price is low also. The community can make this volatility happens because its matter their demands since bitcoin is know nowadays.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 255
August 08, 2017, 10:03:37 PM
bitcoin is volatile because it has a scale, it was once low and now it's  high. been decentralised is also an additional factor. 
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
August 08, 2017, 09:58:20 PM

Bitcoin is not controlled by any central body since it is a decentralized currency.Its price changes in proportion to increase or decrease in demand for bitcoins.But fiat currencies are controlled by governments and hence its price remains stable.It is due to the volatility of bitcoin by which traders gain profits with the difference in price.
Pages:
Jump to: