Pages:
Author

Topic: Why is Ripple price going mad right now? - page 2. (Read 7601 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
December 20, 2014, 11:26:36 AM
It was a nice P&D like bitcoin, but smaller  Smiley
Activity: 326
Atdhe Nuhiu
December 20, 2014, 11:22:25 AM
Well there are 2 centralised issues:
1. Ripple labs, which piss off many wannabe anarchists, because it is a corporation and they are baaaad banksters
2. There is a centralisation about information = ripple is not anonymous, or even less than bitcoin, what I understood.

Point 2. is a concern for me and this is why I believe btc more. Love it or hate it, cryptocurrency must imo have higher degree of anonymity than common money. There are lot of overregulated or banned markets that need currency. If the hispters can not buy the Jack Herrer with it, it is not good currency. I must insist on this. The stage where the cryptocurrency needs those markets is not over and the time is not even close. grey and black markets are few trillions of USD. Coins capitalisation is 5 bn.
legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...
December 20, 2014, 11:05:15 AM
and who are ripple's opponents mostly here in this forum?  usually random neck-beards in their mom's basement or some fat, hopeful 30 something guy bored out of his wits.

if misterbigg thinks it's not worth it then i don't blame him.

after a bit of googling, here's the link to the white paper on how ripple works:  https://ripple.com/files/ripple_consensus_whitepaper.pdf

it's funny how people say it's centralized when the system eliminates the need for a central network operator.  maybe they mean something else when they say it...?  i'm a bit lost on that one.
Activity: 326
Atdhe Nuhiu
December 20, 2014, 11:01:34 AM
Hyena, are you aware that Carlos Castaneda was faking it all. I mean this is quasi-buddhistic bullshit fit for socially awkward people.

And yes, I am saying this as big fan of CC.

Every relationship between people is artifical in some way and starts inside, but this approach does not help to go deeper. You are only putting here oil into flames. If one has to solve his inner problem to not fight with other people is the same problem as that he has to fight with other people to solve his problems.

I somehow like your posts very much, but there is a truth above the truth always. And I think you know it. Nothing can be described in very short sentence, e.g. "opposition is always present" -> therefore it has no sense to trying to avoid it. That is nonsense that ends in asylum. Yes, opposition is always present, but there are situations where it actually amazingly has sense to avoid it, or at least try. To rest, to change perspective. That is also the cosmic dance.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1015
December 20, 2014, 10:44:00 AM
You should take it as a challenge without attaching any petty feelings to it.

Quote from: Carlos Castaneda
The basic difference between an ordinary person and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge, while an ordinary person takes everything as a blessing or a curse.

A warrior might take up everything as a challenge but a strategist chooses his battles wisely.

The moment you lose your nerve is when you have lost the battle that is between you and your self-importance. You're referring to human wars/battles which is a completely different thing. The battle I'm talking about is within you not between you and me. You can either defend Ripple here or not --- it's up to you --- but your choice should be free of petty feelings, which apparently it wasn't, since you're referring to Ripple's opponents with a negative superficial generalisation.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
December 20, 2014, 09:49:11 AM
You should take it as a challenge without attaching any petty feelings to it.

The basic difference between an ordinary person and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge, while an ordinary person takes everything as a blessing or a curse.

A warrior might take up everything as a challenge but a strategist chooses his battles wisely.
Activity: 132
Merit: 100
December 20, 2014, 09:38:12 AM
it's a good thing you pointed this out, i hope someone from ripple labs is lurking these forums and give us an answer.

I'm really trying to muster up the energy for a proper response but to be honest, the negativity on this forum towards anything that isn't bitcoin or promising overnight riches makes it not worth the hassle of posting. Any discussion of Ripple is met with false accusations of centralization, scamming, or shilling. Why should anyone waste their time writing up a lengthy reply? Ripple is going to succeed with or without approval from the bitcointalk peanut gallery.

i agree with this response.

I don't think it's a good excuse. One should not let negativity affect them. If you encounter opposition and give up then the bad guys win. Opposition is always present, that's the nature of our universe. You should take it as a challenge without attaching any petty feelings to it.

I think they've been pretty patient and professional on this forum for over a year now. At a certain point there's only so much you can do.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1015
December 20, 2014, 09:13:38 AM
it's a good thing you pointed this out, i hope someone from ripple labs is lurking these forums and give us an answer.

I'm really trying to muster up the energy for a proper response but to be honest, the negativity on this forum towards anything that isn't bitcoin or promising overnight riches makes it not worth the hassle of posting. Any discussion of Ripple is met with false accusations of centralization, scamming, or shilling. Why should anyone waste their time writing up a lengthy reply? Ripple is going to succeed with or without approval from the bitcointalk peanut gallery.

I don't think it's a good excuse. One should not let negativity affect them. If you encounter opposition and give up then the bad guys win. Opposition is always present, that's the nature of our universe. You should take it as a challenge without attaching any petty feelings to it.

Activity: 132
Merit: 100
December 20, 2014, 08:53:08 AM

legendary
December 20, 2014, 08:36:33 AM
i think it would be nice to have an answer here.  and if ever that question comes up again we could use your reply as reference. 

Again, what for? It's already been answered a few times. There's even a white paper on it.

link?
legendary
December 20, 2014, 08:19:38 AM
i think it would be nice to have an answer here.  and if ever that question comes up again we could use your reply as reference. 

Again, what for? It's already been answered a few times. There's even a white paper on it.

Activity: 53
Merit: 0
December 19, 2014, 11:57:10 PM

Can you explain how its not centralized?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1116
December 19, 2014, 11:24:03 PM
still no news as to why XRP went up.  could this be the driver of XRP's recent rise?

charles xue:  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Xue

he confirmed that he is investing in ripple last september.  so he probably made is move recently, then traders being traders, pumped the shit out of XRP.

what do you guys think?

That is exactly what I think
legendary
December 19, 2014, 11:17:42 PM
still no news as to why XRP went up.  could this be the driver of XRP's recent rise?

charles xue:  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Xue

he confirmed that he is investing in ripple last september.  so he probably made is move recently, then traders being traders, pumped the shit out of XRP.

what do you guys think?

Activity: 364
The 4th industrial revolution!
December 19, 2014, 07:46:16 PM

Yep, the constructive criticism and pure innovation has left this forum a long time ago.  All of us hoping that feeling will come back one day because bitcoin changed our lives.

Some major players and posters the last few years have totally logged out of their usernames and have been inactive for a year or more now.  They still comeback here but they want to stay out of the spotlight not giving anyone a chance to steal their fortune.

Asking questions will take you far in life, what has shilling done for anyone here? Nothing

Your example is flawed. You say that the transaction fee will be only 1/10 of a penny. What happens if Ripple grows and new XRPs are not handed out in the system? The value of XRPs will go up without bound. Especially because, once an account is funded the XRPs are "locked in." From an analysis perspective they are effectively destroyed since they can't leave the account. That means that the rate of deflation is many orders of magnitude greater than the rate of XRP destruction due to transaction fees. "Implausible in the extreme" is only true if no one controls the bulk of the XRP supply.
50 billion XRP will be given away by Opencoin. But it still doesn't matter. So long as there are enough XRP in circulation to perform transactions, XRP still won't limit the ability of people to perform transactions. Over a quadrillion drops have already been given away, and consensus can change the base transaction fee to less than a drop.

I keep hearing about how easy it is to change the transaction fee through the consensus mechanism. But no one has explained exactly what criteria a gateway will use to determine if the fee needs to be adjusted.
The primary criterion will be what they believe the transaction fee should be. The secondary criterion will be what they believe they can get a consensus on.

I believe I explained the mechanism in more detail in another thread, but here's a summary:

1) Validators add to specific validations an indicator of what they think the transaction fee should be.

2) Validators look at other validations to see whether there's a sufficient consensus for moving the transaction fee up or down.

3) Validators then add pseudo-transactions to change the fee.

4) If a pseudo-transaction gets voted into the consensus transaction set, fees change as of the next ledger.

A similar mechanism is used to make logic changes, except nodes won't themselves vote yes on a change unless they see it has a supermajority or if they are specifically configured to treat the change is urgent.

There is no specific check for spammy transactions. If it has the correct fee, it will be processed. If the network is overloaded, slow nodes will bow out of the consensus process and the transaction fee will rise to maintain stability.

legendary
December 19, 2014, 07:31:01 PM

sure.  but i think it would be nice to have an answer here.  and if ever that question comes up again we could use your reply as reference. 

...  or maybe show joelkatz the question so he could answer it...?  he prolly will have more patience and spare us the time to make a reply. 

thanks.
legendary
December 19, 2014, 07:20:34 PM

legendary
December 19, 2014, 06:30:11 PM
I think it poses a big question --- whether Bitcoin will remain due to it's advantage of being the first or will it be dethroned by others. Fact is that decentralization is the future. Everything that can be decentralized will be decentralized. Ripple is perhaps the last pathetic breath of the centralized money transmitting system that is based on debt (IOUs).
I think the advantage is the key point and bet on the advantage.

But even Bitcoin used for real transactions is of course based on IOU. Any money is and always will be. Otherwise it is not money.

Bitcoins have nothing to do with IOU's because there is no debt system inside Bitcoin plain and simple.

Also, how will the ripple network overcome foul nodes? Essentially the bigger the ripple network grows the higher is a chance that some node will be compromised or will go rogue and run away with money. the nodes could even practise some sick reserve banking. At least with bitcoin it is cool that all the nodes either follow the same protocol or become incompatible. ripple is a much more loose concept.

legendary
December 19, 2014, 06:28:24 PM
I dont like Ripple, seriously you dont own your private key and your funds can be locked by them, it ridiculous perversion of the Bitcoin ideals.

XRP can't be locked?

They (Ripple) can lock your account pretty much like paypal;

I am not sure about that. Can anyone confirm?

https://wiki.ripple.com/Freeze

Yes the gateways can freeze the IOUs you hold but I don't think ripplelabs can lock your account and prevent you from sending XRPs. I can be wrong as I'm not that familiar with it.

yup you're right.  and i should point out that some ripple gateways do not like the freeze feature and disabled it. afaik, once it's disabled, you cannot enable it anymore.
legendary
December 19, 2014, 06:25:03 PM
I dont like Ripple, seriously you dont own your private key and your funds can be locked by them, it ridiculous perversion of the Bitcoin ideals.

XRP can't be locked?

They (Ripple) can lock your account pretty much like paypal;

I am not sure about that. Can anyone confirm?

they can't. when you open a ripple wallet, you get a secret key which only you know.  so if it is even possible that somebody can lock your account, all you have to do is go here:  https://www.rippletrade.com/#/login, click account recovery then type in your secret key.  the client will prompt you to make a new password.  as long as you have your secret key, you have full control of your account.

Pages:
Jump to: