Pages:
Author

Topic: Why is there such an insurgence of flat-earthers in 2015? - page 15. (Read 29793 times)

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
The funny thing is that you have to be more than ignorant to believe this, you have to be willfully ignorant. No teacher at a school or trip to the museum is informing this belief. You have to force yourself to think that despite hundreds of years of global navigation and millions of trips around the world each month, somehow no one ever noticed that the Earth is flat. WTF?
You have to reject geology, astronomy, geography, all maps, hundreds of scientific experiments that clearly demonstrate the roundness of the Earth going back over two thousand years (Eratosthenes of Cyrene); and everyone you meet.  
Basically you have to be Alex Jones.  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038
Random, but you know the people who believe in flat earth will be talking about this forever:

Artist's Decades-Old Painting of Pluto Is Eerily Accurate

"NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft is currently sending back the most detailed pictures of Pluto ever taken. But if the images from the historic flyby look just a little familiar to you, there might be a good reason why.

A new image of the dwarf planet tweeted by NASA yesterday bears a striking resemblance to a painting of Pluto created in 1979 – before any detailed information about this far-off celestial body was known and it was nothing more than a tiny blur through even the best telescopes.

Conspiracy theorists, start your engines.

Take a look at the two images side by side. The one on the right is a three-decades-old painting! The main question is this: How could the artist, astronomical painter Don Dixon, obtain detailed information about Pluto 36 years ago? "

Artistic plagiarism on NASA's part. Why paint a picture of Pluto from scratch when they can just rip one off?

---

"NASA WHISTLE BLOWER IMAGE HOAXSTER"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKbdH7a2IZw
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
The generation that is devoured to religion and superstition are finally coming around to social media by the masses. There are not more flat earthers, the flat earthers are just becoming more vocal.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014
Why? Because the Earth is in fact flat.

Cool! All hail Terry Pratchett Smiley! Can someone tell me where can I find the Rim on Travelrepublic or on booking.com? Some reviews about the best hotels there would be also useful Smiley.

Yeah, must be because of Sir Terry's passing.

So, when's the expedition to the circumfence starting?  Roll Eyes

But the reason these debates are injected (flat earth, evolution denial, invention of gods), is because the sheeple need to be dumbed down.

And UN logo is just a projection. One of many possible. People should really start learning about such stuff in school.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projection

Specifically this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projection#Azimuthal_.28projections_onto_a_plane.29
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
Random, but you know the people who believe in flat earth will be talking about this forever:

Artist's Decades-Old Painting of Pluto Is Eerily Accurate

"NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft is currently sending back the most detailed pictures of Pluto ever taken. But if the images from the historic flyby look just a little familiar to you, there might be a good reason why.

A new image of the dwarf planet tweeted by NASA yesterday bears a striking resemblance to a painting of Pluto created in 1979 – before any detailed information about this far-off celestial body was known and it was nothing more than a tiny blur through even the best telescopes.

Conspiracy theorists, start your engines.

Take a look at the two images side by side. The one on the right is a three-decades-old painting! The main question is this: How could the artist, astronomical painter Don Dixon, obtain detailed information about Pluto 36 years ago? "
Remember when the school's funding was cut because we thought education was so expensive? Well the kids are grown up now and they are as ignorant as a box of hammers. Just wait till you see how much stupid costs.  Wink

But Beliathon says we're getting smarter as a species, the majority of people believe in science, and trust it wholeheartedly? Shouldn't the number of people who would take this seriously go down? Why has no one answered the topic of this thread?

I know that there is a dramatic increase in atheism, but I'm not sure faith in the scientific method means understanding science. Look at how many flat-Earth-ers, bigfoot trackers, and UFO enthusiasts point to their "data" and use various electronic quackery devices to "study" their topic. None of it is even remotely scientific, but how would they know?
I still think it is the rise of stupidity and the flawed idea that different theories can be weighted equally in science. For example, how many geographers think the world is flat?  

Ok, let's say that there are more and more people currently who believe in things such as big-foot, UFO's, spirits, etc. I can see how these people are growing in population. Then, the question is, why are there more people who are not accepting the scientific data, or explanations of these experiences or weird photos?

I guess my thought would be, people are not getting satisfaction from science. They believe there are things science has not properly explained yet. Humanity is getting more ignorant, but they still lean on science in general. The problem here, I see, is that science is not explaining "weird" things that humanity is seeing. However, I don't see how the flat-earth falls into this category, because science has pretty well explained it, to the point, people shouldn't be looking for another explanation.  

I think half of these flat earthers are just trolling. Or maybe like Alex Jones and David Icke they don't believe half of the shit they say but can make money off peddling the paranoia and fear to the gullible. I mean, somebody is always buying their books.

I don't see how they are making money.

Why has no one answered the topic of this thread?

Well I did a few posts up. Not my fault you disagreed with the answer.

1) Can you provide us with some stats to show us this uptrend of flat people?
2) What's your answer to the thread topic then?

Ok, your answer was, “Because some people are at war with science. They are so desperate to disbelieve that they will cling to anything available to 'prove' their anti-science position, using 'data' taken from their inferior experiments.”

Yes, I do not agree with you. What would have caused these people to disbelieve in science? Above, in this post, I wrote that some people have experiences that they cannot explain with science. I can see why they would maybe start thinking there are other things science cannot explain. But science has already explained, in depth, about the global world, and continues to provide evidence with each passing day (like Pluto pictures). What pushes someone from something that has so much proof and explanation, to the point that they want to disprove it? Shouldn't they be out there trying to prove aliens exist or big-foot exists, which might be far easier to fake and change other people's opinions, versus trying to prove the laws of gravity are fake? Also, the flat-earthers tell people to do these experiments themselves. If they wanted to discredit science, the far easier way would be to fake things, under their specific conditions, instead of explaining how someone else can come to the same conclusion.

1) Sadly specific stats will be hard, not too many people poll humanity to whether or not they believe the earth is flat, lol. I think we all know why.

"A genuine Flat Earth Society ran from 1956 to 2001, peaking at 3,500 members, keeping up a stream of newsletters during that time....More recently, the society has been “refounded”, including a substantial website and wiki." (link)

The rest is built upon YouTube searches. If you check out the videos, far more videos are recent videos, and the top viewed video about the subject has 6,187,528 views and was released only 7 months ago. If this was not something people (on both sides) were interested in, why would it have so much activity recently?

2)

Example 1) The Earth is flat, God knows it's flat, and He's sick of people being deceived.

Luke 8:17 For nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light.
John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

From a non-religious stand point, The Truth will out

Example 2) The Earth is a globe. Humanity is sick of having experiences that have not been explained by science, and are looking for other possibilities, because science has not explained everything perfectly yet. Scientists right now are working at CERN with antimatter to learn how it works and are confused, waiting to learn how it works so they can explain it to others.

"Everything in our universe is made of matter, but a century of physics has revealed that at the beginning of time, an exactly equal amount of antimatter existed. Then, two seconds after the Big Bang, something changed and suddenly there was more matter than antimatter. What we don't know is how matter won and opened the door to existence as we know it. If we can produce antimatter long enough to study it -- as it appears we have -- we have a fighting chance of figuring out how we got that extra one up there." (link)

Seeing as how scientists still don't know how everything works yet, makes people uneasy, maybe.

However, I still don't really see how that has anything to with the flat-earth revival, as science pretty much had that covered.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1016
Why has no one answered the topic of this thread?

Well I did a few posts up. Not my fault you disagreed with the answer.

1) Can you provide us with some stats to show us this uptrend of flat people?
2) What's your answer to the thread topic then?
legendary
Hey TECH, you seem to be knowledgeable regarding air traffic. Perhaps you could explain to us why all flights turn off their GPS when flying over the ocean in the southern hemisphere?
legendary

Looks pretty round to me.

I think half of these flat earthers are just trolling. Or maybe like Alex Jones and David Icke they don't believe half of the shit they say but can make money off peddling the paranoia and fear to the gullible. I mean, somebody is always buying their books.

Yeah, it does look pretty round.

Activity: 21
Merit: 0
http://cdn.rsvlts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/earth-as-seen-from-the-international-space-station-hq-photos-video.png

Looks pretty round to me.

legendary
Remember when the school's funding was cut because we thought education was so expensive? Well the kids are grown up now and they are as ignorant as a box of hammers. Just wait till you see how much stupid costs.  Wink

But Beliathon says we're getting smarter as a species, the majority of people believe in science, and trust it wholeheartedly? Shouldn't the number of people who would take this seriously go down? Why has no one answered the topic of this thread?
I know that there is a dramatic increase in atheism, but I'm not sure faith in the scientific method means understanding science. Look at how many flat-Earth-ers, bigfoot trackers, and UFO enthusiasts point to their "data" and use various electronic quackery devices to "study" their topic. None of it is even remotely scientific, but how would they know?
I still think it is the rise of stupidity and the flawed idea that different theories can be weighted equally in science. For example, how many geographers think the world is flat?  

What does that have to do with teachers unions? It is just a collection of stories from around the world of "worst teachers". Do you think that turning teaching into a "McJob" is going to help with this? Not that I care. I have always been one of the highest paid teachers in the states I have lived in.
How? easy, I teach rich kids. The rich lawmakers who cut school budgets and bust school unions certainly don't want their kids to become dummies.  When they attack teachers they mean the people who teach YOUR kids. Your the "little man", you only need to know enough to sweep the streets and pay taxes for the wealthy. My kids pay as much as $90,000 for a 6th. grade education. Do you think they learn about the flatness of the earth or ignore evolution? Please, they are going to college.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon

Thanks to great teachers backed by the teacher's union

The Earth is FLAT ~The planes help to prove the plane - Video that shows how far flights should be according to Google Maps, and then tries to book flights. Also shows the flight paths, that look odd on a globe, but make sense on a flat earth map.

The Horizon doesn't curve, Ships Zoom, Flat Earth - Shows what looks like a boat disappearing over the curve, zoomed in, you can still see it clearly.

(images cut for quote)

As far as the flight paths, you will notice the chosen path which seems to not make any sense, makes a lot more sense suddenly when you look closer to see they took that way because THERE ARE ISLANDS TO LAND ON TO REFUEL.

As far as the ship, this is not proof of anything either. If you are on land, you are ABOVE SEA LEVEL, meaning any time you look at a ship at a distance, you are looking down on it, negating the effect of it being hidden behind the curvature of the earth until it goes further away. Also it is pretty clear the photographer is on a hill from the photos.

As for the flight paths, on the globe map, it looks almost exactly the same distance to get from Australia to South America, as it does to go from Australia to the US. I understand what you're saying, but that's pushing it, they seem like the same distance or very close to it.

For another level video closer to the ground: https://youtu.be/F4w41bjgymw?t=1m

So you think expecting that a plane has to refuel is "pushing it"? Did you even read the whole sentence before you decided it was not true? The distance between the two is NOT THE SAME. The route that is longer ALSO HAS ISLANDS IN ITS PATH TO LAND ON FOR REFUELING. I don't know how familiar you are with the technology in planes, but they can not just fly endlessly over open ocean without having to land to refuel.

As far as your video, I have been to the top of a tall building and seen the curvature of the earth for myself. I will trust my own eyes over some nutbag youtube video, thanks.

You totally ignored the fact I agreed that planes had to refuel. I never said that was pushing it, lol.
legendary
I've spoken up in other threads, that I think debate is great. You learn something new everyday. Though most laugh at this immediately, I find the debates going on fascinating.

There comes a time when debate is pointless. The Earth is not flat. Debate on the topic is not great, it's evidence of either stupidity, trolling, or subversion for personal gain (money, attention, notoriety; whatever your currency of choice).

There are certain topics where I wouldn't characterize debate as "great", and this is one of them. Not to say people aren't free to be stupid, but celebrating it is going too far.

As for the evidence it suggests, most of the people trying to prove the Earth is flat, are not getting any money, and are being ridiculed. I will give you trolling, it could be a reason, but I don't think it's stupidity, as they are attempting to disprove a theory that is heavily regarded. If they are going to be successful, they will have to work harder than many to come up with a proof that is accepted. You may consider a waste of time because you think they will not succeed. But I believe working for something, even if proven wrong, still teaches you something.

Also, looking at the world in ways others don't consider, well, this is how inventions are made. Just look throughout history, there are examples of inventions that were made from things that had no relation. You never know when a positive will come out of scientific work.

believe in science

How the hell do you "believe" in science? Do you believe that 2+2=4? I thought it could be tested, guess I was wrong...

By that I would be meaning, believing in science in the same way someone believes in a religion, such as taking things as faith, instead of testing them personally. Sorry, I should have clarified that, I will edit now.

Saw this point and just wanted to elucidate: Your point that faith in science and faith in religion have parallels may be true, but with one major difference in that science deals in things that are objectively and demonstrably true and verifiable, whereas religion is based entirely on things that are not. I wouldn't characterize these types of faiths as being the same, as faith in things that can be proven doesn't seem like faith to me at all. Faith in the principles of science may be closer, but still, that's based on a history of producing results and doesn't seem very faith-like in the religious sense.

Faith in science and faith in religion are the exact same thing, until someone tried to prove or disprove either.

Yes, science can have things "proven" more readily than religion can, but the point I'm trying to make here, is that people in general do NOT. Yes, many scientists do.

But as a whole, asking someone on the street, "why does gravity work", or "how fast is the Earth spinning", you probably won't even get a correct response. Now, if you get the answer you're looking for, ask, "how do you prove that those answers are true?" Even fewer will be able to tell you. Now of those who know, ask them to prove it for you. How many people do you think know the scientific answers and will actually be able to prove it or have ever attempted to in the past?

The answer is usually, I'll look it up, the science books will tell me, the scientists know, we trust them.

How is that not like religion? The people saying I don't know, the book tells me it is so! I believe the bible and trust it.

Now whether or not science can be proven. There are some people who believe we are hooked up to a machine, like the matrix. I am totally serious. But how do they prove to scientists that the gravity, and the mechanisms in the world only work this way because the simulation/matrix/machine tells it to? How do you know all of this isn't a dream and you'll wake up on Venus tomorrow and Earth is inhabitable? How do you prove you're not dreaming right now? Is there a scientific way?
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
believe in science

How the hell do you "believe" in science? Do you believe that 2+2=4? I thought it could be tested, guess I was wrong...

By that I would be meaning, believing in science in the same way someone believes in a religion, such as taking things as faith, instead of testing them personally. Sorry, I should have clarified that, I will edit now.

Saw this point and just wanted to elucidate: Your point that faith in science and faith in religion have parallels may be true, but with one major difference in that science deals in things that are objectively and demonstrably true and verifiable, whereas religion is based entirely on things that are not. I wouldn't characterize these types of faiths as being the same, as faith in things that can be proven doesn't seem like faith to me at all. Faith in the principles of science may be closer, but still, that's based on a history of producing results and doesn't seem very faith-like in the religious sense.

Is "string theory" a clown show? Is psychology a science?

legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 2008
First Exclusion Ever
The Earth is FLAT ~The planes help to prove the plane - Video that shows how far flights should be according to Google Maps, and then tries to book flights. Also shows the flight paths, that look odd on a globe, but make sense on a flat earth map.

The Horizon doesn't curve, Ships Zoom, Flat Earth - Shows what looks like a boat disappearing over the curve, zoomed in, you can still see it clearly.

(images cut for quote)

As far as the flight paths, you will notice the chosen path which seems to not make any sense, makes a lot more sense suddenly when you look closer to see they took that way because THERE ARE ISLANDS TO LAND ON TO REFUEL.

As far as the ship, this is not proof of anything either. If you are on land, you are ABOVE SEA LEVEL, meaning any time you look at a ship at a distance, you are looking down on it, negating the effect of it being hidden behind the curvature of the earth until it goes further away. Also it is pretty clear the photographer is on a hill from the photos.

As for the flight paths, on the globe map, it looks almost exactly the same distance to get from Australia to South America, as it does to go from Australia to the US. I understand what you're saying, but that's pushing it, they seem like the same distance or very close to it.

For another level video closer to the ground: https://youtu.be/F4w41bjgymw?t=1m

So you think expecting that a plane has to refuel is "pushing it"? Did you even read the whole sentence before you decided it was not true? The distance between the two is NOT THE SAME. The route that is longer ALSO HAS ISLANDS IN ITS PATH TO LAND ON FOR REFUELING. I don't know how familiar you are with the technology in planes, but they can not just fly endlessly over open ocean without having to land to refuel.

As far as your video, I have been to the top of a tall building and seen the curvature of the earth for myself. I will trust my own eyes over some nutbag youtube video, thanks.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1115
★777Coin.com★ Fun BTC Casino!
believe in science

legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1115
★777Coin.com★ Fun BTC Casino!
I've spoken up in other threads, that I think debate is great. You learn something new everyday. Though most laugh at this immediately, I find the debates going on fascinating.

There comes a time when debate is pointless. The Earth is not flat. Debate on the topic is not great, it's evidence of either stupidity, trolling, or subversion for personal gain (money, attention, notoriety; whatever your currency of choice).

There are certain topics where I wouldn't characterize debate as "great", and this is one of them. Not to say people aren't free to be stupid, but celebrating it is going too far.
Pages:
Jump to: