Pages:
Author

Topic: why no crash ? - page 2. (Read 2516 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
May 16, 2013, 11:29:10 AM
If US decides bitcoins is a threat they'll be worthless overnight.

How could this current action not cause the price to dip to double digits???

You, sir, are an idiot.

Look at the vast majority of historical examples and you'll see that this is not the case.

The price of drugs did not go DOWN after government intervention, they went way UP, despite sketchy OTC availability situations.
The price of education did not go DOWN after government intervention, it went way UP.
P2P torrent protocol is in INCREDIBLE demand and is wildly popular, despite government intervention.
Alcohol did not become less popular during Prohibition, even though you risked arrest and had to maintain secrecy going to a speakeasy.
The government only was able to destroy e-gold because it was centralized and had a single point of failure. Gox is nothing. Gox is a poorly performing exchange that many people are hooked on due to liquidity (a chicken/egg problem) and need a kick in the butt to go elsewhere. This is the kick in the butt. Gox is not a single point of failure. Gox dying would be great for bitcoin.

It only would crash to double digits because of idiots like you who panic sell because you do not understand how markets respond to government intervention/regulation. Fortunately, for the time being at least, it seems most people are smarter than that.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
May 16, 2013, 11:10:51 AM
I guess this is where we are still in a wait and see mode.  The US govt. seeks to control all and smash anything threatening its ability to dominate economically.  Just look at the last 15 years as a small sample.  Yes they have not begun targeting CampBX and exchanges directly, but I do feel this is their first step in attempting to halt or disrupt Bitcoin.  This though, is getting slightly off topic and discussing politics here never produces a winner.

The DOJ doesn't do this stuff by piecemeal. They didn't shut down Megaupload.com one day. Freeze the banks another day. Arrest him another day. It happened all at once.

MtGox is on a .com, they could seize that anytime they want. Japan is more buddy buddy with the USA then New Zealand is. If they wanted to go after Bitcoin, every Bitcoin .com would be gone. CampBX would be gone. Bitpay, BitInstant, would be shut down, banks seized. They've both American companies.

The DOJ isn't after Bitcoin. It doesn't even make sense to go after them. Cryptocurrencies are here to stay. The genie is out of the bottle. They're better off tracking Bitcoin, keeping tabs on it, then pushing it further underground. Bitcoin isn't a threat to the USD. People are dreaming if they think it is. The DOJ will cut a deal with MtGox, let us have access to all the logs (website and transactions) and we'll leave you alone. Considering MtGox is telling people it will cost 25M to become legit in the USA (and they're planning to do it), they'll play very nice with the DOJ going forward.

This whole event was actually good news. People leaving MtGox for other exchanges. The sooner that happens, the better.
AFAIK, LEOs haven't yet had a test case on whether or not courts will agree with BTC classified as currency. This is that test case and could lead to other consequences if a clear precedent is set, inside and outside the US. Hopefully, Gox's defense team will directly challenge that particular point of contention instead of caving and hoping someone else will do their work. Odd as it sounds, I think this could be decided by the Supreme Court. What is currency, and how does the USG reconcile its laws normally reserved for USD to new alternative "currencies"? Can FinCEN and (for whatever fucked up reason) DHS regulate video-game currency as if it's the holy Dollar itself -- Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ripple? Can USG bureaucracies run around fining and shuttering any exchange which hasn't spent millions in USD? Is BTC taxable as currency, or a commodity?

I view this as recon, not war, but if given a crack, the USG might go through it like a floodgate going down.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
May 16, 2013, 11:05:43 AM
I don't think bitcoin will EVER be illegal. Trading/exchanging bitcoin for USD could become illegal, but trading, spending, mining, bitcoin will never be against the law in the US. 

I agree with this, I also think that (hopefully) the government will realize the potential in the future of cryptocurrency and will regulate as opposed to making it illegal.  While they wouldn't directly benefit from it, the indirect benefits of adoption by a large number of their constituency is a big indirect benefit if growth of cryptocurrencies continues.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
May 16, 2013, 11:02:38 AM
I don't think bitcoin will EVER be illegal. Trading/exchanging bitcoin for USD could become illegal, but trading, spending, mining, bitcoin will never be against the law in the US. 
Merit: 501
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
May 16, 2013, 10:57:12 AM
I guess this is where we are still in a wait and see mode.  The US govt. seeks to control all and smash anything threatening its ability to dominate economically.  Just look at the last 15 years as a small sample.  Yes they have not begun targeting CampBX and exchanges directly, but I do feel this is their first step in attempting to halt or disrupt Bitcoin.  This though, is getting slightly off topic and discussing politics here never produces a winner.

The DOJ doesn't do this stuff by piecemeal. They didn't shut down Megaupload.com one day. Freeze the banks another day. Arrest him another day. It happened all at once.

MtGox is on a .com, they could seize that anytime they want. Japan is more buddy buddy with the USA then New Zealand is. If they wanted to go after Bitcoin, every Bitcoin .com would be gone. CampBX would be gone. Bitpay, BitInstant, would be shut down, banks seized. They've both American companies.

The DOJ isn't after Bitcoin. It doesn't even make sense to go after them. Cryptocurrencies are here to stay. The genie is out of the bottle. They're better off tracking Bitcoin, keeping tabs on it, then pushing it further underground. Bitcoin isn't a threat to the USD. People are dreaming if they think it is. The DOJ will cut a deal with MtGox, let us have access to all the logs (website and transactions) and we'll leave you alone. Considering MtGox is telling people it will cost 25M to become legit in the USA (and they're planning to do it), they'll play very nice with the DOJ going forward.

This whole event was actually good news. People leaving MtGox for other exchanges. The sooner that happens, the better.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
May 16, 2013, 10:35:36 AM
I am also horrified that sent the price through the floor.

This is the US government going on the warpath against bitcoin.

Not really.  They're going on the warpath against companies who think they can just refuse to register as a money transmitter despite transmitting money.

I'd only conclude it was BTC in particular they were after if they got their pound of flesh from Coinbase and other currently unlicensed money transmitters and still continued to go after them. 
Activity: 490
Merit: 101
FRX: Ferocious Alpha
May 16, 2013, 10:33:44 AM

The biggest threat the currency has had... Ever.

I feel differently, the US attacking Bitcoin the way that they are is only going to make Bitcoin stronger in the long run.  Its the fledgling attempts of a dragon on its last breath, this is a marathon not a sprint.
The USA is currently not attacking bitcoin. They are attacking a single bank account holder that broke their laws.

Merit: 501
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
May 16, 2013, 10:31:48 AM
MtGox being incompetent isn't news.

The US isn't going after Bitcoin. CampBX is also using Dwolla (the same way MtGox was) and they're fine. They were setup properly.

Bitcoin was never mentioned. They were exchanging "something" (cryptocurrency) for USD. Which they were not allowed to do. They were accepting huge amounts of money, and sending out huge amounts of money, but somehow claimed they were not a "money services" company. The DHS disagreed.

So MtGox are morons. They opened a company in the USA improperly, used it improperly, got in trouble. Numerous other companies in the USA are setup properly, and still use Dwolla / Bitcoins.

Gox fail, nothing more, nothing less. The domain is fine, the servers are fine, the bank accounts in Japan are fine. Their company in the USA was slapped down because of their own incompetence, it's not that big of a deal.
Activity: 240
Merit: 250
May 16, 2013, 10:27:52 AM
people realized that mtgox is not bitcoin, its only a bad service that probably will die soon, and we'll have some other beautiful and functional (maybe decentralized) exchangers
legendary
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
May 16, 2013, 10:27:25 AM

I feel differently, the US attacking Bitcoin the way that they are is only going to make Bitcoin stronger in the long run.  Its the fledgling attempts of a dragon on its last breath, this is a marathon not a sprint.
The USA is currently not attacking bitcoin. They are attacking a single bank account holder that broke their laws.
May 16, 2013, 10:23:30 AM

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
May 16, 2013, 10:23:05 AM
Fucking hell.. this is craazy

Do I dare place another buy order??

At a loss???

wtf, somebody panic already.
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
May 16, 2013, 10:22:06 AM
My reasoning:

April: jeez it's gone up this much and hasn't crashed yet? I'd better start cashing out now while I can.

May: hmm, it wasn't that long ago since the last crash, I feel safe holding onto my coins for now, better than cashing out and paying a bunch of taxes/fees, and risk missing the next rocket.
May 16, 2013, 10:21:15 AM
-) "Now more than ever" attitude of the True Believers: There is a limited amount of people actually buying more coins as long as the price doesn't crash into oblivion. alas: "The feds think they can stop us, HURR DURR, BUY BUY BUY!"

This is sentiment I agree with as well.  Before April I was buying BTC in small quantities, and since the press has increased tenfold, and the latest breed of confidence showing amongst the "true believers" as you put it, I am converting about 1k a week into BTC.  Attitudes are changing so it feels, and I know there are plenty others out there on this train.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
May 16, 2013, 10:20:55 AM
The bots are in control.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
May 16, 2013, 10:20:18 AM

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
May 16, 2013, 10:14:59 AM
There are two things to consider here:

-) Negative feedback due to the difficulty of getting USD out of mtgox: People choose to buy BTC and withdraw them/move them to another exchange.
-) "Now more than ever" attitude of the True Believers: There is a limited amount of people actually buying more coins as long as the price doesn't crash into oblivion. alas: "The feds think they can stop us, HURR DURR, BUY BUY BUY!"
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
May 16, 2013, 10:13:21 AM
Markets aren't rational.

Also consider that the present market may just be more fragile at trading prices above about, say, $150.

Interesting.  I agree.  I think we are still towards the bottom of the "Crash."  There is enough people that want BTC that the price really will not go down much more because demand outweighs supply, even with bad press.  If the price was at $266 yesterday we might be down to $115 today?  I am not sure but it is a thought.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
May 16, 2013, 10:12:24 AM
Two reasons:

1. The people that weren't going to stick around have now gone. Bitcoins are in stronger hands than when there is a mass influx of new people which is to be expected.

2. A lot of people that sold are waiting on the sidelines with fiat for a drop in price. They are the people that caused the drop and they no longer have BTC to sell.

The question is how long this will last? The answer is 2-3 months give or take some major event such as gox going down or facebook adopting bitcoin.
May 16, 2013, 10:11:05 AM
It is interesting to think about when you put it in these terms.  I think our confidence is at all time highs because of the recoveries seen after the "bubble" and correction, and now the attack on MtGox US arm along with the lawsuit between Coinlab and MtGox which really didnt affect the value much if at all.  Good news just seems to be outweighing the bad these days.
Pages:
Jump to: