Pages:
Author

Topic: Why seeing merit button on my post when I can not merit my own post - page 2. (Read 289 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 4508
**In BTC since 2013**
I understand your point, and it doesn't seem to make sense for the button to be available on a post that you can't give merit to. Logically, it is possible to make this type of adjustment, so that it does not appear in these topics. Maybe our service tech @PowerGlove can take a look.

Either way, it's good to understand why the merit button appears in all posts (even those that have no use) and other buttons do not appear (such as edit post). The buttons, such as edit post, are an original part of the software used by the forum. That's why all the features are already integrated, allowing you to only appear in posts that can be used.

The merit button was added later, and for faster implementation, the option to only appear in posts where it can be used was not coded. In other words, it was easier to place the button on all posts, and then on the merit page to manage this, whether or not to give merit. Basically, the simplest and fastest way to implement merit was used, without having to make major changes to the original code.

In short, it is possible to adjust so that the merit button only appears in posts where this can be done. This was not done, due to the complexity involved, which was not extremely necessary for merit to work.
Activity: 336
Merit: 365
The Alliance Of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG>PID
When I go through a post of other members, I will see the link to a merit page which can be used to merit the particular post that you have just read. If it is my own post, I can not merit it. Then why should merit link to give merit to a post be seen on my own post when I can not merit myself. I think something should be done for us not to see the merit link on our own posts. Only other people's posts should the merit link be seen.

Though it shouldn't be a topic in question as it has been suggested or asked several times, I still think it should be removed from a users end. As a user who already knows the forum very well and understand that you cannot merit yourself then we shouldn't be that bothered if the button works or not.

Anyways I am just a basic code writer so I really can't tell how difficult it would be to make such edit nor can I suggest way to edit it. Anyways let's just hope that theymos and the Bitcointalk developer team would consider this suggestion.
If it were a major problem, I guess by now alot of programmers would have suggested a fix for theymos. And he must have taught of it before now but I think he just wants the forum to remain as it is.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1024
Hello Leo! You can still win.
When I go through a post of other members, I will see the link to a merit page which can be used to merit the particular post that you have just read. If it is my own post, I can not merit it. Then why should merit link to give merit to a post be seen on my own post when I can not merit myself. I think something should be done for us not to see the merit link on our own posts. Only other people's posts should the merit link be seen.
Could this also be likened to a question as "why allow me see and click a locked thread if I cannot post in it?". I think we should just disregard things that do not seriously pose a problem to anyone in the forum. Let's keep going hoping that someday a new forum software might emerge.
Activity: 392
Merit: 237
It wouldn’t be a bad idea to get it removed but the question remains is it actually necessary to do so? I would have actually gone with idea that it should be removed if at all if someone uses it and the merit goes through by allowing to send to yourself but since the options is blocks you off then there is no problem like mistake of sending to your self. Also although o don’t have much knowledge about this patches, but wouldn’t create more of a problem eliminating that button only for yourself, if it were to be a easy fix then no problem but something tells me it will mostly affects like plenty areas on the patch, which to me wouldn’t worth the hassle.
Activity: 252
Merit: 32
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

I also noticed same thing, but I never bothered to ask because seems that's how it has been right from when I have not joined the forum. Once you make comment on a topic, you will definitely see the merit button on that your comment but when you try to merit your self, it wouldn't work. That's how the coding of the website was done, it was code in such a way that anyone who makes comment on each topic will have a merit menu on their commet but button will be non functional. I don't have problem with it being there as long as I don't pay attention to it and I feel it's not even right to award merit to yourself. Other people should be the one to appreciate your comment by giving it merit and not doing it by yourself.
Activity: 308
Merit: 448
Math + Code = Blockchain 😁
Yes thats very true Op just like you won't find edit post button and delete post button on another users post except you are obviously moderator. If I get you correctly , what you are making is suggestion that there should be no merit button for self posts and threads.In that case I think it would be more direct to make the topic something like;
Code:
[Suggestion]Merit button for OP's posts

Anyways I am just a basic code writer so I really can't tell how difficult it would be to make such edit nor can I suggest way to edit it. Anyways let's just hope that theymos and the Bitcointalk developer team would consider this suggestion.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1094
Pages:
Jump to: