Pages:
Author

Topic: Will a bank being hacked boost adoption of bitcoin? - page 3. (Read 6475 times)

legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
/dev/null
majority of people are already sick by current bank status, loans model, all the fees, possible block by gov (wave on greece) etc etc. bank "hack" would be another (small) nail to coif but generally, I don't think, that it will boost somehow adoption..
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005
I think the imprisonment of funds in accounts really pisses people off.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
it could be a good lesson for them to use cold storage

As a matter of fact using cold wallet is pretty inconvenience for some people. That is why people tend to store their BTC in an online wallet and also exchanger which allow them to withdraw it instantly if needed. Also that not everyone is a tech guy that know how to secure their BTC in cold wallet properly.
This will be another reason BTC will have a hard chance to replace traditional bank as because any wallets that connects to the network is pretty much risky while on the other hand using cold wallet is inconvenience

Therefore the idea to make a BTC bank or rather call it BTC storage is pretty much a good idea which that will serve as a storage only "bank" and takes fee from this service. This would be a good service to provide some security for those who dont know how to secure their coins properly . This will encourage people to shift from traditional bank into BTC as well

well you don't need to be a tech guy to copy paste a file in a usb(it's like a backup of any other file, does they don't know how to do this? come on even my father which do not know what is copypaste know this..., that is a cold storage(when you need touse those bitcoin you do it in a safe enviroment, cold storage with offline transaction is another story

there should be an easy way to send offline transaction, for newbie, for those that are approaching crypto, it should be integrated in the core wallet, the mere thing that there are many different client, is already confusing for newcomers....

what i would suggest for a newbie is to buy a cheap laptop, do a format and install everything there, and don't touch that laptop for anything else that isn't bitcoin(no browsing no anything...)

bitcoin banks could help rising the bitcoin adoption, for those individuals which apparently are the majority, but in the end they should try to handle the bitcoin security aspect on their own
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1414
it could be a good lesson for them to use cold storage

As a matter of fact using cold wallet is pretty inconvenience for some people. That is why people tend to store their BTC in an online wallet and also exchanger which allow them to withdraw it instantly if needed. Also that not everyone is a tech guy that know how to secure their BTC in cold wallet properly.
This will be another reason BTC will have a hard chance to replace traditional bank as because any wallets that connects to the network is pretty much risky while on the other hand using cold wallet is inconvenience

Therefore the idea to make a BTC bank or rather call it BTC storage is pretty much a good idea which that will serve as a storage only "bank" and takes fee from this service. This would be a good service to provide some security for those who dont know how to secure their coins properly . This will encourage people to shift from traditional bank into BTC as well
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
For people having an opinion stating that bitcoin is much safer than banks, yes, you're right. For people having an opinion stating that bitcoin can never be hacker, um, no. Everything in this world can be hacked, nothing is secure enough for the best. A lot of bitcoin hacks have already happened, refer to the mt.Gox bitcoins went 'missing' scandal.
legendary
I think it will. Till now, when people asked how this could happen, the only answer was shrugging, it's the way it is, que sera sera.

Now, when people ask, they might get this, depending on who they ask: Well, in fact there is another way, bitcoin, check it out.

it will eventually, but only if it will be on a large scale, and not 1 or two bank hacked from time to time, if the majority of banks(not gonna happen at 99% at least) will begin to face some heavy hacking all over the wolrd, then something will happen about the possible shifting to bitcoin from many around the world

Well if banks start to get hacked then bitcoin could be too. And i`m not talking about offline wallets, but the online wallets.

I`m sure 95% of bitcoin users use online wallets, so if they want to harm bitcoin, the online wallets will be the target probably Sad

it could be a good lesson for them to use cold storage, and learn more about bitcoin, those are just lazy people guided by those, lazy's guides that say that learning about how bitcoin works is irrelevant, there is a thread talking about this in the bitcoin discussion board, this can not be more wrong...
Activity: 1148
Merit: 252
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
I think it will. Till now, when people asked how this could happen, the only answer was shrugging, it's the way it is, que sera sera.

Now, when people ask, they might get this, depending on who they ask: Well, in fact there is another way, bitcoin, check it out.

it will eventually, but only if it will be on a large scale, and not 1 or two bank hacked from time to time, if the majority of banks(not gonna happen at 99% at least) will begin to face some heavy hacking all over the wolrd, then something will happen about the possible shifting to bitcoin from many around the world

Well if banks start to get hacked then bitcoin could be too. And i`m not talking about offline wallets, but the online wallets.

I`m sure 95% of bitcoin users use online wallets, so if they want to harm bitcoin, the online wallets will be the target probably Sad
legendary

legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031
Banks get hacked frequently but not always in the most high tech way you would think.  A local bank in my town here was in the news recently because a "hacker" in China was able to get the local bank to send millions of dollars through business accounts.  The process followed usual business protocol and the guy in China had all the correct security info (which was probably attained through a mix of social engineering and actual computer hacking to gain access to personal information).
Activity: 826
The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange
I think only bitcoin lovers are capable of hacking banking system in order to increase their price of bitcoins because the system is working for the years
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

legendary
Activity: 1274
★ BitClave ICO: 15/09/17 ★
No.
Last year HSBC Turkey got hacked and 2.7 million user's credit card data etc were stolen. But it changed nothing in Turkey.
https://www.google.com.tr/search?q=hsbc+turkey+hacked
legendary

* Do learn how to quote properly, corrected the wrong quote anyway

Good example you got there however none of it is correlated with the topic. Perhaps you should read the main point of my statement again (bolded my main point, some people tend to not read giant wall of text I assume ).

With all what had happened recently especially with the Greeks, Id assume people wont trust banks anymore but that doesnt mean that people will shift their choice to BTC. If actually people shifted their choice into BTC, I'd assume we could see some huge increase on some graphs like number of Transaction per month or so .

Which means that people do not shift their choice to BTC just because the banking system in their country is failing. So the chance of BTC being adopted to the failure of the banking system is actually low. On another note, the failure of the banking system on a country will mostly lead people to shift their choice to another banking system in another country ( high chance for this to happen but not shifting into BTC )

Because they dont know about it. We need big advertisement campaigns telling greeks to buy bitcoin with their money under mattress.

I`m not saying all greeks to adopt bitcoin, but if we start with a healthy 15% that might do it for now.

We need awareness raising for them, and also quick greek language websites for bitcoin, i`m sure not all greeks speak english.

As a matter of facts securing money in form of BTC is the best security nowadays however this doesnt mean that it will be easy for people to shift their choice to BTC right away as there are other stuff that needs to be consider about such as the volatility issue . Common people would not love to have have their saving in BTC to be declining day by day ( or increasing ) .

Also that as most people are techsavvy, especially the older people,  I doubt that people will want to go into trouble to secure their own belongings while they can easily put it into another bank abroad (Swiss for example) and it is hard to convince people that you can store your own money in your own computer in form of a virtual coin. Try to tell that to your grandpa and see what his reaction is.

Code:
We need big advertisement campaign

For the bolded part of yours, who are we again? As we are decentralized this means that everyone is on their own in this matter. The community wont go into such length as to provide such advert campaign to lure people into BTC. Everyone got here to use BTC by their own decision and/or from hearing words about it not from seeing any advert campaign in the street's billboard or so
Activity: 252
Isn't it sure to happen, sooner or later, that some country's central bank, or banking system, gets hacked? If that happened it'd shake peoples' confidence in the banking system, which most think is more robust than the likes of the blockchain, simply because banks are centralised systems. I guess some people would then look at the likes of bitcoin, but even it's not invulnerable - or is it?
The idea is good, however people only cannot able to adopt bitcoin in their entire banking system in their daily life on their own way without being support of Government who act as a central authority, What if government ban the people to adopt the bitcoin in their transactions ?

Good example you got there however none of it is correlated with the topic. Perhaps you should read the main point of my statement again (bolded my main point, some people tend to not read giant wall of text I assume ).

With all what had happened recently especially with the Greeks, Id assume people wont trust banks anymore but that doesnt mean that people will shift their choice to BTC. If actually people shifted their choice into BTC, I'd assume we could see some huge increase on some graphs like number of Transaction per month or so .

Which means that people do not shift their choice to BTC just because the banking system in their country is failing. So the chance of BTC being adopted to the failure of the banking system is actually low. On another note, the failure of the banking system on a country will mostly lead people to shift their choice to another banking system in another country ( high chance for this to happen but not shifting into BTC )

Because they dont know about it. We need big advertisement campaigns telling greeks to buy bitcoin with their money under mattress.

I`m not saying all greeks to adopt bitcoin, but if we start with a healthy 15% that might do it for now.

We need awareness raising for them, and also quick greek language websites for bitcoin, i`m sure not all greeks speak english.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
It depends on the person pursuing the situation or how media demonstrates the situations to the masses who believe and follow such news blindly.
If people realize the beauty of bitcoin and shift, it might be great but chances of that happening too cannot be calculated just by assumptions. It may or may not boost it.
legendary
BTC is absolutely different but again it is still hackable. With all the hacking that occured throughout the world and also alot of bank robbery that happened , it will take more than that to shift people's choice into BTC as an alternative to secure their belonging.
Mainly the reason for that will be that because not everyone know such tech-things or that people will still have some confidence with banks because it has been some sort of "tradition" or "common sense" to secure your money in a bank ( even you learned it when you are in your elementary stages that you need to save your money in a bank )

Hahaha ask that from Argentinians or Venezuelans or now from Greeks...they will simply laugh at your statement.

These guys have experienced what happens to the economy when banks play ponzi schemes. I think if this collapse happens nobody will take banks seriously anymore.

They already have bad reputation so it's common sense to keep your money near you, and not in the bank.

BTC is absolutely different but again it is still hackable. With all the hacking that occured throughout the world and also alot of bank robbery that happened , it will take more than that to shift people's choice into BTC as an alternative to secure their belonging.
Mainly the reason for that will be that because not everyone know such tech-things or that people will still have some confidence with banks because it has been some sort of "tradition" or "common sense" to secure your money in a bank ( even you learned it when you are in your elementary stages that you need to save your money in a bank )

Hahaha ask that from Argentinians or Venezuelans or now from Greeks...they will simply laugh at your statement.

These guys have experienced what happens to the economy when banks play ponzi schemes. I think if this collapse happens nobody will take banks seriously anymore.

They already have bad reputation so it's common sense to keep your money near you, and not in the bank.
Activity: 462
That's why I own more and more cryptocurrency But regarding the hacking, he had no insider - it was pure exploitation of technology.

You are making your argument sounds like crypto is not hackable though. It is no doubt that crypto especially BTC is much more secure than a traditional bank however it doesnt meant it is a top notch security and is not hackable. The history of BTC is pretty much full of hacking incident especially that occured on a few exchanger several months ago and not to mention the MT. GOX "incident"

You misunderstood me. Sure, cryptocurrencies can be compromised too, but but be your own choosing your are able to "not put all egg in one basket". I have addresses in different forms of cold-storage off-line, and I own altcoins to diversify money. I even own various "precious metals". Still using backs bu when possible I move them off-line. Like my gold.
legendary
That's why I own more and more cryptocurrency But regarding the hacking, he had no insider - it was pure exploitation of technology.

You are making your argument sounds like crypto is not hackable though. It is no doubt that crypto especially BTC is much more secure than a traditional bank however it doesnt meant it is a top notch security and is not hackable. The history of BTC is pretty much full of hacking incident especially that occured on a few exchanger several months ago and not to mention the MT. GOX "incident"

All banks can be hacked
-snip-
So the entire model is not secure because you have to rely on people. Bitcoin is different

Pages:
Jump to: