Pages:
Author

Topic: Will bitcoin be used to support terrorists? - page 14. (Read 140885 times)

Activity: 854
Merit: 140
IMO it could, but so do other currency, for now on btc might be a bit untracable and it used networks rather than online payment which used banking transfer.
But hey terrorrist around the world use cash eg; dollar,euro, even oil to trade and gaining profit. So if they found other sources that would make them feel safer then why not  Cool Cool
Activity: 686
Merit: 282
If state surveillance groups tracked down BTC-E money laundering, they should also be able to track down money laundering transactions in crypto by terrorists, drug cartels and other illicit groups.

The claim of crypto obfuscating transactions making them impossible to track no longer applies, assuming it ever did.

If an evil genius deigned the perfect currency for criminals, it likely wouldn't have a public ledger the way bitcoin does. The arguments of bitcoin being designed for use by criminals reflects more propaganda than real world data.

Tracking is one thing, but recovering money from BTC is practically impossible if you do not have the keys. That is why it is becoming more and more popular. Money is easier to detect ...
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
If state surveillance groups tracked down BTC-E money laundering, they should also be able to track down money laundering transactions in crypto by terrorists, drug cartels and other illicit groups.

The claim of crypto obfuscating transactions making them impossible to track no longer applies, assuming it ever did.

If an evil genius deigned the perfect currency for criminals, it likely wouldn't have a public ledger the way bitcoin does. The arguments of bitcoin being designed for use by criminals reflects more propaganda than real world data.

I cent percent agree with your views on this topic.More over it is true that no one can stop bad, even though how many N number of precautions you take against it.The logic behind it is there is no existence of  GOOD with out this BAD.
legendary
Activity: 2884
Merit: 1258
Since it is hard to track where is the location of the sender and receiver of bitcoin then it can be an advantage for the people who will use bitcoin for bad purposes such as supporting the terrorists because they have the confidence that they can't be tracked down so they will just use bitcoin without having any doubts or even fear.

It may take sometime but I know FBI claim that they can track bitcoin user as long as there is a connection between the identity of the suspected address to the persons identity.  Bitcoin is not fully anonymous and the ledger is very transparent .  This means, bitcoin movement can be tagged and eventually track the person using it. But we cannot remove the fact that Bitcoin or any kind of currency can be used if the person wanted to, to support terrorists.
Activity: 224
Merit: 103
They are already using fiat for their financial needs. Bitcoin does not directly enable them to do more.

It could make certain transactions easier though, but the same goes for any new technology. Bad people can always use it for their purposes as well. Does this mean we should stop technology development?
All people can use Bitcoin, include terrorist also can use it. but the problem is not on BTC,  but the people that use it. because there's no security check for the bitcoin users, which one is good people and which one is not.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
On March 8th, Cheollima Civil Defense(CCD) released a video on its website claiming:” Han Sol, the son of Kim Jong Nam, and two other family members were met quickly and relocated to safety. “ And they receive bitcoin for financial support. http://news.8btc.com/bitcoin-plays-a-role-in-humanitarian-assistance This is something nice to do. But what if bitcoin be used to support some bad organizations, even terrorists? Is this already happening?  What i am worrying is if bitcoin be widely used for bad things, negative news would be all over and bitcoin price will drop. It will lead to tougher regulation. Do u think world leaders are willing to kill btc to make sure they can fight terrirists?
May. Because when Bitcoin transactions users do not need to disclose personal information. Criminals will take advantage of this to be illegal.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

Activity: 938
Merit: 137
Since the crypto currency is relatively complete anonymity in transactions, it is possible that the digital currency will be used by bad people for their own mercenary purposes. However, the tragedy of this should not be done. Every thing, including a virtual one, can be used both for the benefit of the community and for harming the community. With this nothing will be done.
Activity: 2212
Merit: 786
OP, believe me, you want that to happen. If you think "mainstream adoption" will take Bitcoin use to another level then you are gravely mistaken. It is the criminal, underworld use of Bitcoin that will take it to new heights in price and technology-wise.

Well,there is really rhis possibility that bitcoin be used to finance terrorist but who would want it. There cod always be ways even if it's not bitcoin. We can never put the blame on bitcoin and I think this shouldn't affect bitcoin's reputation.

Yes, it will not affect bitcoin's reputation but this will hinder the success of it growing on a international-scale due to the potential trading scheme of it. Remember that due to bitcoin's nature being decentralized, no one really controls the regulation and imposing of rules of bitcoins, thus making all trades and payments anonymous from one person to another. This poses a problem on the government on tracking monetary payment to terrorists and it is also possible for it being banned from different countries for security reasons.
Activity: 252
Merit: 100
Bitcoin can be used all sorts of people, so this bitcoin can anyone use even terrorists can use bitcoin as their fund to perform its malicious actions.
Activity: 952
Merit: 500
Not only bitcoins,any currency like USD could be used to support terrorists.Bitcoin is a digital currency and it is free to use for any one for any purpose,either good or bad.Bitcoin could not be blamed for that.If any one decides to use a crypto currency to support terrorists,then they may use zcash or monero for that instead of bitcoins since such coins provide full anonymity.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
OP, believe me, you want that to happen. If you think "mainstream adoption" will take Bitcoin use to another level then you are gravely mistaken. It is the criminal, underworld use of Bitcoin that will take it to new heights in price and technology-wise.

Well,there is really rhis possibility that bitcoin be used to finance terrorist but who would want it. There cod always be ways even if it's not bitcoin. We can never put the blame on bitcoin and I think this shouldn't affect bitcoin's reputation.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
 Hello please I have problems in my deposed to poloniex I make maining in nanopool but when he send me etc in poloniex receive not my etc please where is the problem
Activity: 770
I have never had strong evidence that terrorists are connected with bitcoin transactions, as long as this is just a diversion of issues because in the middle east country all internet activity is restricted and tapped by western countries, there is no privacy they can freely use, If problems are directed to North korea then I can believe because this country closed all access the outside world with the progress of information technology.
yes i personally have mo idea that either bitcoin has any link with terrorists or not, but my personal view is that they may not have any connection with bitcoin because bitcoin is a new emerging currency and still most of the people do not know about it.
Activity: 1162
Merit: 260
Because of it decentralised nature of BTC it is easy to use bitcoin anonymously . And it is used a lot in the dark webs as well. So there is always a chance that bitcoin to be used to support terrorist. But bitcoin is not the offender.
Activity: 1680
Merit: 263
I have never had strong evidence that terrorists are connected with bitcoin transactions, as long as this is just a diversion of issues because in the middle east country all internet activity is restricted and tapped by western countries, there is no privacy they can freely use, If problems are directed to North korea then I can believe because this country closed all access the outside world with the progress of information technology.
Activity: 113
Merit: 100
Since it is hard to track where is the location of the sender and receiver of bitcoin then it can be an advantage for the people who will use bitcoin for bad purposes such as supporting the terrorists because they have the confidence that they can't be tracked down so they will just use bitcoin without having any doubts or even fear.
Activity: 616
Merit: 256
once a terrorist always a terrorist, it doesn't matter what kind of medium of exchange for owning them a weapon or financial support for terrorist acts anything will do even if it is a bitcoin or not.they are  exploiting the loopholes of bitcoin in terms of anonymity of transactions .being greedy and hunger of power is the root cause of evil doing and not by bitcoin alone.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 252
Bitcoin can be used for any purpose including terrorism. But since bitcoin is not a hundred percent anonymous then it is not a big deal. The authorities can certainly trace it if it happens. Criminals and law enforcement learn continuously to beat each other. That's the life cycle!
Activity: 770
Well it is true that bitcoin is used to support terrorist. We all know that bitcoin is anonymous so it is pretty easy to send it.to the terrorists and they used it in illegal transactions and also used it to buy some guns . It is pretty easy to send big amount of money in bitcoin than in fiat because they pretty easy to detect that they are sending big amount of fiat
to me i personally have no clear idea bout that. but i think that it  is possible just like other currencies but i think that bitcoin is a new currency therefore it may still not be using for such kind of activities.
Pages:
Jump to: