Pages:
Author

Topic: Will Ethereum/Altcoins Be Valuable Or Relevant without Bitcoin? - page 2. (Read 622 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 0
Other coins and tokens hugely rely on bitcoin's price. If bitcoin goes crashing down to triple digits, the cryptocurrency market as a whole will definitely be hugely affected, but it doesn't mean other coins/tokens will be render them useless. It's just that they will be extremely cheap.

If bitcoin goes to $100, it's still the same bitcoin that can be transacted freely. Same with ETH and other non-crap coins/tokens.

Price =/= utility

Now ethereum and other altcoin still dependent on bitcoin. When bitcoin price goes down so does altcoin. Its so hard to replace or even level to bitcoin right now. But I think if ever bitcoin happen to crash down I think altcoin can definitely useable as replacement to continue crypto currency.
Activity: 57
There won't be any cryptocurrency without Bitcoin because it is the first to introduce the digital currency concept to the world and then new currencies like Ethereum, NEO and other followed and more and more coming to the crypto world every year but it all started from invention of Bitcoin so it is significant to the cryptocurrency world   
Activity: 121
Other currencies like Ethereum stellar would exist in the world without Bitcoin but without these kind of demands that currently they posses because Bitcoin has taken the world attention  as a cryptocurrency immensely as the first virtual currency so others cryptocurrencies didn't have to bare that much of weight during the launching so for other currencies to exist Bitcoin existence is essential   
Activity: 113
I wouldn't want to think of the cryptocurrency world without bitcoin, but in a case where it happens that it ceases to exist, I think that ethereum and other altcoins will still succeed. While the process might be challenging and probably more difficult for them, at the end, they will scale through, and do just fine without Bitcoin. So yeah, altcoins would still be relevant without bitcoin.
Activity: 62
In my opinion the alts are very dependent on bitcoin, bitcoin slipping, and 80% of them are affected. But they still play the role of normal trading. Its worth it too cheap.
Activity: 589
Merit: 102
WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN
For the very first I can say that I cannot imagine the cryptocurrency world without bitcoin it is the same as to say that worldwide currency would function without dollars, it is insane for now, maybe in future.
Activity: 266
If Bitcoin disappeared now the world will think this is the end of cryptocurrencies because it is that important to the cryptocurrency market which is why Bitcoin price variations effect other currency prices due to its important role in the trading market and the image it has in front of the common and financial public.

Activity: 504
Merit: 100
Today bitcoin is the logotype of all crypto currency. If they talk about crypto-currencies, it's necessarily about bitcoin. The popularity of bitcoin is evident today. But as for other projects, it seems to me that they also can have value without bitcoin.
Activity: 265
Merit: 100
Bitcoin and Etherum are not a standard gauge for buying another Altcoin, we see more and more coins appear to be standardized like Binance Coins, USDT, TrueUSD. These types of coins do not have to be high or low.
Activity: 84
Most probably not. We all need a standardize method to measure others. I think BTC will always remain there to be the standard crypto and not going to collapse any soon. But your thinking is legit and appreciable.
Activity: 2352
Merit: 245
There was an argument recently, for and against, about the fact that non-existence (if possible) of Bitcoin would render or make Ethereum (and other altcoins) useless.
majority of altcoins serve one purpose and that is to generate money for their investors aka speculators. with or without bitcoin they may exist because pump and dumps don't just go away. people are making a lot of money from them! besides they are mostly useless already if you don't count what i just said as their usage.

In my own knowing, I knew that Bitcoin came on the scene the first, and that the idea of it inspired Ethereum second,
ethereum is in no way "second" it is after at least a couple of thousands of different altcoins!

which gave platform for many Ethereum-based tokens,
that is the only reason ETH exists and the only reason it is this pumped up. because it offered a very easy way of creating tokens out of thin air which you could offer in an ICO and earn a shitload of money. so it attracted thousands of scammers and people who wanted easy free money to itself.

Could all of these starting from Ethereum still exit or useful if Bitcoin wouldn't be any more?
The answer to me is in affirmative, but can anyone lecture on why not?
Insightful answers please.
there was a topic that was deleted because OP of it was advertising shitcoins, in there he was insisting that ICOs are "solving problems". i asked him to provide an example of at least one and he failed. i ask you again. what is the usage of Ethereum? creating ICOs. what is the usage of ICOs? what have they solved? nothing. prove me wrong!
ICO solve a lot of practical issues. As is known, blockchein technology is very well used for secure and open storage of large databases, this has been successfully applied in ICO projects. The simplest example. Prior to the appearance of the corresponding ICO, merchant ships were transporting a certain product to the destination and, as a rule, returned empty. Using blockchein technology, ICO has connected shippers and merchant ships around the globe into a single database, where everyone can go in and use information about the relevant passing cargo or vice versa, about a ship that can take a load of goods along the way. This is provided by the ICO team, which provides the opportunity to carry out related transactions for the transportation of such passing goods through smart contracts. It is fast, convenient and profitable for everyone. Saves a lot of time and money.
Activity: 2086
Merit: 603
I happen to be in a group that has to be with Bitcoin or cryptocurrencies in general. There was an argument recently, for and against, about the fact that non-existence (if possible) of Bitcoin would render or make Ethereum (and other altcoins) useless.
The stronger argument which is for Bitcoin had it that if it happens that there was no Bitcoin again, other coins/tokens would also stop having values. They might justify this because bearish trend in Bitcoin affects almost all other, and for other related reasons.

In my own knowing, I knew that Bitcoin came on the scene the first, and that the idea of it inspired Ethereum second, which gave platform for many Ethereum-based tokens, and there are also other platform-based tokens also like Wave, Stellar, etc
Could all of these starting from Ethereum still exit or useful if Bitcoin wouldn't be any more?
The answer to me is in affirmative, but can anyone lecture on why not?
Insightful answers please.
Okay so the against argument that I understand here is that bitcoin gives value to other cryptocurrencies. Not in the usual sense that cryptos follow bitcoin's trends, but that bitcoin provides a figurative backing to other cryptos. People measure the worth of altcoins in terms of bitcoins and because it was the first to emerge and the market leader it drives people towards other currencies. Which is an interesting thing to note, that a decentralized coin gives value and security(figuratively) to other altcoins.

Having said that my answer will also be that at this moment the crypto market is highly diverse and self-sustainable. It is way to expansive, that even if bitcoin collapses or disappears, after an initial shock, it would still survive.
Activity: 924
Merit: 260
From my opinion, alt coins can survive without bitcoin. Maybe any other coin will take place of bitcoin. But i think cryptocurrency will lose people’s trust if bitcoin falls.

Correct, Bitcoin is acting as the default liquidity asset and therefore also acting as the index for the while crypto industry. If Bitcoin falls, so does everything else. Unless some other coins replaces Bitcoin as the default liquidity (the coin with the most liquidity). I think LTC, BCH and ETH falls into the description.
Activity: 112
It will be a tough time for crypto world if bitcoin is destroyed or disappeared. I think all other alt coins follows the trend of bitcoin so many coins will be destroyed with it.
Activity: 215
From my opinion, alt coins can survive without bitcoin. Maybe any other coin will take place of bitcoin. But i think cryptocurrency will lose people’s trust if bitcoin falls.
Activity: 336
Mainly BTC is the 1st crypto currency in the world we saw in past that the price of btc is very important to other coins based on this if this coin is infected then most of the coins are getting infected for price even ETH.
Activity: 196
I believe that without bitcoin the market of crypto currency is nothing. It has been experienced from the past that price of altcoins move as per the movement in the price of bitcoin. Bitcoin is the leader and without it market will fall.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 534
Well, I believe that each and every coin has its own philosophy and that's how it works. Bitcoin came up with the solution for the issue of time/cost consuming centralized payment system. On the other hand, Ethereum is solving the issue of traditional contracts through its ability of smart contracts. Even though it is true that Bitcoin gained momentum due to the first move in the market, things are not interrelated and thus I don't think that anything happening with BTC will affect altcoins directly.
Activity: 126
I think altcoins are pretty much fine now and it can be used for long term investments although not a few altcoins make a lot of unsympathetic. But I think bitcoin is still best also paly role as a market leader.
Activity: 56
Though ALTcoin or Ethereum is a totally different crypto and they have their own feature which is not similar to bitcoin but I think they can not relevant without bitcoin.
Pages:
Jump to: