Pages:
Author

Topic: Will Ethereum/Altcoins Be Valuable Or Relevant without Bitcoin? - page 4. (Read 622 times)

Activity: 1456
Merit: 579
HODLing is an art, not just a word...
well at this point the altcoin market pretty much exists on its own. and it exists so that traders have a place to go to and earn money. it may as well not even be called altcoin market and they may not even be trading altcoins that exist (which happens to be the case sometimes! people trade altcoins that  don't even have a functioning blockchain anymore!!!). so with or without bitcoin this broken market would still exist.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
If Bitcoin, for whatever reason, disappeared, the whole cryptocurrency ecosystem would disappear as well, for the simple reason that cryptos would no longer be reliable. It would not be the failure of a coin, it would be the failure of an idea.

In 2013 that would definitely have been the case. these days i'm not so sure.

if bitcoin died from attacks or became too broken to continue everything else would take a huge hit and there'd be years in the doldrums but many of those coins would not be broken and the concept would live on through them. they would take the lessons that ended bitcoin on board and make sure it didn't happen to them.

bitcoin is the reference coin for all alts when it comes to trading and pricing. i don't believe an alt could ever take that place. i do believe a fully legit USD pegged token could.
Activity: 112
Merit: 0
I'm sorry I could not agree with you. Because Bitcoin is a coin whose radiant power covers the entire market. With its ups and downs, the whole market shone with it. Because when the price increases, the price of the whole market including the ETH increases and the price of other coins decreases and decreases. Yes Ethereum usage has increased but Ethereum / Altcoins can not be worth more than Bitcoin.
Activity: 1176
Merit: 501
In my own knowing, I knew that Bitcoin came on the scene the first, and that the idea of it inspired Ethereum second, which gave platform for many Ethereum-based tokens, and there are also other platform-based tokens also like Wave, Stellar, etc
Could all of these starting from Ethereum still exit or useful if Bitcoin wouldn't be any more?

Bitcoin is not only the first cryptocurrency, it's much more than that. Bitcoin represents cryptocurrencies as a concept. If Bitcoin, for whatever reason, disappeared, the whole cryptocurrency ecosystem would disappear as well, for the simple reason that cryptos would no longer be reliable. It would not be the failure of a coin, it would be the failure of an idea.
Activity: 1708
Merit: 105
sometimes someone chooses a coin which they think has more functions than BTC, for example ETH
but please note, that BTC can never be replaced its position, because the embryo of cryptocurrency is from BTC
the cryptocurrency symbol is bitcoin, BTC is only one, and ALTCOIN is a lot and only as a complement

actually altcoins are pretty much good now and can be used as long-term investments even though not a few altcoins make many unsympathetic. if bitcoin is clearly still the best and certainly also ith ethereum.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 3873
Paldo.io 🤖
what is the usage of Ethereum? creating ICOs.

I disagree with this statement.
The whole purpose of ethereum is NOT to creat ICOs.

The real purpose is to be able to create small programs (smart contracts) which can be executed without a central authority.
Just because the majority of people are using them to simply create ICOs where they just build some kind of a payment token and promise a lot of utility, this doesn't describe the usage/purpose of ethereum itself.
Most people are greedy. Thats the reason we have so much shitcoins and tokens now. They all just want to make fast money.
But this does no way mean that the whole ethereum network has been made for this one purpose.

Pretty much. Just because it's currently mostly being used for ICOs it doesn't automatically mean it was made for that sole purpose. It's just like saying bitcoin is being bought solely for speculation and not for transactions(which what it was made for).
Activity: 476
Merit: 112
IDENA.IO - Proof-Of-Person Blockchain
sometimes someone chooses a coin which they think has more functions than BTC, for example ETH
but please note, that BTC can never be replaced its position, because the embryo of cryptocurrency is from BTC
the cryptocurrency symbol is bitcoin, BTC is only one, and ALTCOIN is a lot and only as a complement
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
what is the usage of Ethereum? creating ICOs.

I disagree with this statement.
The whole purpose of ethereum is NOT to creat ICOs.

The real purpose is to be able to create small programs (smart contracts) which can be executed without a central authority.
Just because the majority of people are using them to simply create ICOs where they just build some kind of a payment token and promise a lot of utility, this doesn't describe the usage/purpose of ethereum itself.
Most people are greedy. Thats the reason we have so much shitcoins and tokens now. They all just want to make fast money.
But this does no way mean that the whole ethereum network has been made for this one purpose.

@OP
I think it heavily depends on the reason for BTC going down.
If it would be because of a security vulnerability, the chances of ALL cryptos going down would be very high, IMO.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137
There was an argument recently, for and against, about the fact that non-existence (if possible) of Bitcoin would render or make Ethereum (and other altcoins) useless.
majority of altcoins serve one purpose and that is to generate money for their investors aka speculators. with or without bitcoin they may exist because pump and dumps don't just go away. people are making a lot of money from them! besides they are mostly useless already if you don't count what i just said as their usage.

In my own knowing, I knew that Bitcoin came on the scene the first, and that the idea of it inspired Ethereum second,
ethereum is in no way "second" it is after at least a couple of thousands of different altcoins!

which gave platform for many Ethereum-based tokens,
that is the only reason ETH exists and the only reason it is this pumped up. because it offered a very easy way of creating tokens out of thin air which you could offer in an ICO and earn a shitload of money. so it attracted thousands of scammers and people who wanted easy free money to itself.

Could all of these starting from Ethereum still exit or useful if Bitcoin wouldn't be any more?
The answer to me is in affirmative, but can anyone lecture on why not?
Insightful answers please.
there was a topic that was deleted because OP of it was advertising shitcoins, in there he was insisting that ICOs are "solving problems". i asked him to provide an example of at least one and he failed. i ask you again. what is the usage of Ethereum? creating ICOs. what is the usage of ICOs? what have they solved? nothing. prove me wrong!
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 3873
Paldo.io 🤖
Other coins and tokens hugely rely on bitcoin's price. If bitcoin goes crashing down to triple digits, the cryptocurrency market as a whole will definitely be hugely affected, but it doesn't mean other coins/tokens will be render them useless. It's just that they will be extremely cheap.

If bitcoin goes to $100, it's still the same bitcoin that can be transacted freely. Same with ETH and other non-crap coins/tokens.

Price =/= utility
Activity: 82
Merit: 5
I happen to be in a group that has to be with Bitcoin or cryptocurrencies in general. There was an argument recently, for and against, about the fact that non-existence (if possible) of Bitcoin would render or make Ethereum (and other altcoins) useless.
The stronger argument which is for Bitcoin had it that if it happens that there was no Bitcoin again, other coins/tokens would also stop having values. They might justify this because bearish trend in Bitcoin affects almost all other, and for other related reasons.

In my own knowing, I knew that Bitcoin came on the scene the first, and that the idea of it inspired Ethereum second, which gave platform for many Ethereum-based tokens, and there are also other platform-based tokens also like Wave, Stellar, etc
The answer to me is in affirmative, but can anyone lecture on why not?
Insightful answers please.
Pages:
Jump to: