Pages:
Author

Topic: Will LTC make it or BTC be the lone king? - page 2. (Read 2506 times)

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Whether LTC will "make it" isn't very interesting to me. What is interesting to me is whether an alt-coin will ever overtake bitcoin. That's why this bet is coming soon to betsofbitco.in:

An alt-coin will take the lead from Bitcoin before 2015

This statement is true if on or before January 1st 2015 any alternate distributed currency has displaced Bitcoin as the biggest crypto-currency, as determined by total market cap.

* Market-cap does not include any scheme creating artificial scarcity, such as "pre-mined" coins which are known to be held back from trading. (e.g. Ripple)

* New protocol layers built on top of bitcoin do not count. This bet is about whether bitcoin will be displaced, not whether someone will expand bitcoin.

Will we see an alt-coin that improves on the bitcoin idea so much that most people choose it over bitcoin? You decide - place your bets now!

Once approved, the link to this bet will be: http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=1630

I disagree. The more interesting aspect is how the current financial, regulatory, international laws will try to kill bitcoin (obviously can't really) or will end up slowly dying because good money drives out bad money in a system.

Cryptocurrency in general will likely be what may be a huge blow to the status quo of the banks/etc.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031
Rational Exuberance
Whether LTC will "make it" isn't very interesting to me. What is interesting to me is whether an alt-coin will ever overtake bitcoin. That's why this bet is coming soon to betsofbitco.in:

An alt-coin will take the lead from Bitcoin before 2015

This statement is true if on or before January 1st 2015 any alternate distributed currency has displaced Bitcoin as the biggest crypto-currency, as determined by total market cap.

* Market-cap does not include any scheme creating artificial scarcity, such as "pre-mined" coins which are known to be held back from trading. (e.g. Ripple)

* New protocol layers built on top of bitcoin do not count. This bet is about whether bitcoin will be displaced, not whether someone will expand bitcoin.

Will we see an alt-coin that improves on the bitcoin idea so much that most people choose it over bitcoin? You decide - place your bets now!

Once approved, the link to this bet will be: http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=1630
Activity: 898
Merit: 1000
Litecoin is good for speculation. That's enough to give it a fair amount of value apparently. I need to learn more about the differences between scrypt and SHA256 to pass an educated comment on that, but somehow I think its a good thing to have two coins which use different hashing algorithms.
legendary
Activity: 960
Merit: 1028
Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.
WRONG: Trading bitcoin wallets is stupid.

User A can just keep a copy of their wallet and then sent the funds shortly thereafter to another bitcoin address thus screwing user B. Try again  Tongue

Yes trading fiat in person is true...good point. But problem with fiat is well it is paper and backed by bullshit. So it isnt a bad medium for paying for bills etc or getting cash off of an exchange without tax implications but it isnt the best medium to stay in based on its flawed fundamentals of devaluation to 0.
Then in-person mixing - A sending coins to a fresh address owned by B, B sending coins to a fresh address owned by A.

Or in-person trades of BTC for gold rounds.

The point is that there are a lot of ways to break the transaction chain that are just as good as BTC/LTC trading, and that don't have any requirement of a whole separate superfluous currency with identical properties and features to BTC.

If the LTC developers were to implement some more interesting features (the zerocoin protocol, for example), that'd be enough to get my attention. But as it is now? Nah.
Activity: 787
Merit: 250
Ltc is overpriced , most people hope that will make fast profit if mtgox adopts it , but i dont see the demand for it.

I don't see how LTC is overpriced and BTC isn't. in both cases you are looking at their potential value. Anyone else think BTC is the better investment ATM? growth wise LTC could expand way more IMHO
legendary
I do feel its got an advantage over BTC on a technical level
What advantage would that be?

Litecoins are good for buying bitcoins. And it is only thing it is better at than Bitcoin as buying bitcoins for bitcoins makes no sense.

i bought bitcoins with bitcoins. twice. made perfect sense to me. for those bitcoins i acquired were from the 10.000 btc pizza transaction and everybody with blockchain has the proof. but those are special trades.

Well if you buy Casascius bitcoins with bitcoins...aren't we doing that too? Buying bitcoins with bitcoins?  Tongue

Those are not really Bitcoins. That is a currency built on top of Bitcoin backed by full faith in Casascious, the issuer. Bitcoin has somewhat different properties.

Okay let's meet in the middle and say we are both half right.

If it is backed by bitcoins then essentially you are buying bitcoins despite what form they were packed or came in.

True bitcoins do have different properties but to say you can't buy bitcoins with bitcoins is not 100% true once you bring up Casascius. Just my opinion though. Tongue
legendary
Say user A and user B want to exchange bitcoins for litecoins off exchange.

How do you prove that the coins sent from bitcoin wallet A to bitcoin wallet B are in fact related to the Litecoins from LTC wallet A and LTC wallet B?

This is the example I think I meant to use.

As far as I can tell you can't do this with Bitcoin alone. You can track every transaction on the block chain. But if you ahve two chains and you exchange off of a central site (literally off) then you cant prove certain bitcoins were related to certain litecoins in a P2P transaction or sorts.
If two people, offline, agree to trade Bitcoin wallets, it does the same thing.

Heck, you can do the same thing by trading national currency for BTC on localbitcoins.

Don't get me wrong, I think altcoins are super-important for a few different reasons. But I don't think Litecoin, specifically, is really that useful when its feature set is basically identical to that of Bitcoin.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-

Litecoins are good for buying bitcoins. And it is only thing it is better at than Bitcoin as buying bitcoins for bitcoins makes no sense.

i bought bitcoins with bitcoins. twice. made perfect sense to me. for those bitcoins i acquired were from the 10.000 btc pizza transaction and everybody with blockchain has the proof. but those are special trades.

Well if you buy Casascius bitcoins with bitcoins...aren't we doing that too? Buying bitcoins with bitcoins?  Tongue

Those are not really Bitcoins. That is a currency built on top of Bitcoin backed by full faith in Casascious, the issuer. Bitcoin has somewhat different properties.

Activity: 229
Merit: 100
Ltc is overpriced , most people hope that will make fast profit if mtgox adopts it , but i dont see the demand for it.
legendary

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

legendary
Im not the first to say it (crazy rabbit) but all those scam coins killed alts. alts are now dead....the issue is this, will it be profitable enough for new crypto business to accept LTC, both for more fees and to attract members of the alt community?
Or will we see a move by the BTC holders attempting to form a monopoly and kill LTC while they still have a chance

Alts are dead? Funny, I recall raging against alt-coins and trolling the shit out of smoothie and all those alt-coin tards incessantly a couple years ago. I turn back up and the problem has exacerbated a hundredfold. People are still mining fucking ixcoin and i0coin and those fucking abominations.

Trust me, greed hasn't gone anywhere.

+1
legendary
Smoothie, isn't what you just described above is effectively using litecoins to buy bitcoins? Just like I said.

Yes.

legendary
If I own Bitcoin address A and B and Litecoin address C and D and I am an exchange.

User E sends Litecoins to address D but I credit his account in my accounting system with address C litecoins (meaning if he withdrew them it would come from that address).

But say user E sells LTC for BTC. So now his balance shows up as bitcoins in the accounting from account A but when he withdraws simple send him bitcoins from account B.

So is that not enough obscurity to say that bitcoin can't do this on its own?

Or did I miss something? (sorry a bit tired, may have overlooked something)..

Smiley

To trace the transaction you would need the exchange accounting information as well as bitcoin and litecoin block chains. Quite a bit of information when tracking I think.
I deposit some BTC at Mt. Gox, do some trading, withdraw some BTC from Mt. Gox. To trace whose coins those are, you need Mt. Gox's records, plus the Bitcoin blockchain (trivial to obtain).

All that you add by involving Litecoin is the requirement of a second blockchain (equally trivial to obtain).
Activity: 448
Im not the first to say it (crazy rabbit) but all those scam coins killed alts. alts are now dead....the issue is this, will it be profitable enough for new crypto business to accept LTC, both for more fees and to attract members of the alt community?
Or will we see a move by the BTC holders attempting to form a monopoly and kill LTC while they still have a chance

Alts are dead? Funny, I recall raging against alt-coins and trolling the shit out of smoothie and all those alt-coin tards incessantly a couple years ago. I turn back up and the problem has exacerbated a hundredfold. People are still mining fucking ixcoin and i0coin and those fucking abominations.

Trust me, greed hasn't gone anywhere.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
Smoothie, isn't what you just described above is effectively using litecoins to buy bitcoins? Just like I said.

legendary
Note: Litecoins allow you to obscure the bitcoin network in terms of tracing where a transaction came from and went to. Bitcoin by itself can't do this. This is something Trace Mayer mentioned and agree with.
The Litecoin blockchain is just as public as the Bitcoin blockchain.

If you mean that I can exchange my BTC for LTC, and then my LTC for BTC, well... that's no different than manually mixing with someone else's BTC.

If I own Bitcoin address A and B and Litecoin address C and D and I am an exchange.

User E sends Litecoins to address D but I credit his account in my accounting system with address C litecoins (meaning if he withdrew them it would come from that address).

But say user E sells LTC for BTC. So now his balance shows up as bitcoins in the accounting from account A but when he withdraws simple send him bitcoins from account B.

So is that not enough obscurity to say that bitcoin can't do this on its own?

Or did I miss something? (sorry a bit tired, may have overlooked something)..

Smiley

To trace the transaction you would need the exchange accounting information as well as bitcoin and litecoin block chains. Quite a bit of information when tracking I think.
Activity: 787

lol haha....

Well let's give it a few more years to catch up to where bitcoin is.

Most naysayers claimed LTC would die long ago at 1/2 a penny and 6 cents....now they are all but silent.

Utility is important I agree...litecoin has some catching up to do.

Note: Litecoins allow you to obscure the bitcoin network in terms of tracing where a transaction came from and went to. Bitcoin by itself can't do this. This is something Trace Mayer mentioned and agree with.

Smoothe so are you more of a bitcoin or litecoin Bull? what % of your portfolio is LTC?
legendary
The Litecoin blockchain is just as public as the Bitcoin blockchain.

If you mean that I can exchange my BTC for LTC, and then my LTC for BTC, well... that's no different than manually mixing with someone else's BTC.
legendary

lol haha....

Well let's give it a few more years to catch up to where bitcoin is.

Most naysayers claimed LTC would die long ago at 1/2 a penny and 6 cents....now they are all but silent.

Utility is important I agree...litecoin has some catching up to do.

Pages:
Jump to: