Pages:
Author

Topic: Will the CGMINER developer get a loaner unit from BFL? - page 2. (Read 6228 times)

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
OK, kind of new I should have stuck to supporting kano and con for their cgminer work and just STFU on Luke.

Good call, my bad, carry on.

I honestly have no f'in clue what Luke does, so I won't comment about him again.
I took CGMiner, the GPU miner, and rewrote significant pieces to make it modular and support FPGAs additionally. Everything FPGA-related in CGMiner is based on that work, but Con has opted to fork it in CGMiner and force me to continue the original modular/FPGA project independently as BFGMiner. Don't buy into the trolls and their FUD. Despite Con's renewed interest in maintaining CGMiner as a fork of BFGMiner now that he realizes GPUs are history, the original (BFGMiner) is still better. Wink
vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
In regards to getting con mining gear, I have donated heavily towards the 2.5.0 release of cgminer. This should go a long way to helping con getting any equipment he may want or need.

I would also recommend others donate to him so that he can purchase some ASIC gear.
Activity: 535
Merit: 500
OK, kind of new I should have stuck to supporting kano and con for their cgminer work and just STFU on Luke.

Good call, my bad, carry on.

I honestly have no f'in clue what Luke does, so I won't comment about him again.
vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
Activity: 518

bulanula is allowed to +1, but he isn't?

My post was not simple spamming of "+1" crap.

I included some relevant information in there too ( the reasons for the votes ).
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh

bulanula is allowed to +1, but he isn't?
Don't mind them, they are butt-buddies on IRC. Grin
legendary
Activity: 952
vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
donator
Activity: 266
Merit: 252
I'm actually a pineapple
BTW, LUKE-JR =  fail

For the last ten or so months I have been following BTC it seems you are always in the middle of some type of shit storm. Wake up buddy. When you're always involved, the problem is likely YOU.

Kano and others have helped countless people here for free from everything including linux installs, etc.

You my friend just bitch and moan.

Luke, I cannot believe I'm always the one defending you.  PLEASE put your messages on a 24-hour emotional-intensity hold.  Sad

jjshaboohshoobah, you're so wrong I think one of my testicles started aching.  Luke does not interact well with humans, but he has done far, far more than bitch and moan.  That said, he has done a fair amount of bitching and moaning, and creating a bunch more bitching and moaning in reply.

The thing I learned ages ago with Luke is that you have to let a lot of stuff slide.  Don't discuss opinions, because he has too much energy and investment and will exhaust anyone with counterclaims and arguments.  Unfortunately, they're mostly well-reasoned, so it becomes mostly an emotional slapfest.

Stay on topic with Luke, and grow up and ignore the bait.  He works his ass off for BTC.  I don't know a lot of people who care as much, or devote as much effort, into doing what is right for BTC.  Sometimes he is factually wrong, naïve, or outright ignorant, and can step outside his center of knowledge, but you have to center yourself and realize they are HIS issues, and deal with facts, not wishes.  If you bring your issues in, then you're just going to waste your time and his time.

From what I've seen, Luke is competent enough to support FPGA/ASIC/etc. with BFGMiner with or without c(g)miner from which to draw.  Whether people let this happen depends on their ability to interact with difficult but productive personalities.

+1
Activity: 518
Unbelieveable how much crap guys like Con have to go through to provide great free software and they get like what , 50 bucks in BTC ? lol

While profiteering douchebags like BFL and their cult of minions make a killing.

Anyone want to send ckolivas 50 BTC in advance for the next cgminer release? It will be available in 6 months, he promises

BTW, LUKE-JR =  fail

For the last ten or so months I have been following BTC it seems you are always in the middle of some type of shit storm. Wake up buddy. When you're always involved, the problem is likely YOU.

Kano and others have helped countless people here for free from everything including linux installs, etc.

For the record, I don't know Kano or Con from Adam and what I posted is no representation of them in any way. Although you should all send Ckolivas a final BTC donation for his cgminer work and I guess Kano, although I'm not sure how their relationship works in this whole thing.

No one will need to work on ASIC so they deserve it for the GPU mining period.

+1 for this useful post.

+1 for ckolivas and his great software.

-1 for Luke-JR killing CLC coin and also ( supposedly ) doing LTC TX spam testing.
Activity: 535
Unbelieveable how much crap guys like Con have to go through to provide great free software and they get like what , 50 bucks in BTC ? lol

While profiteering douchebags like BFL and their cult of minions make a killing.

Anyone want to send ckolivas 50 BTC in advance for the next cgminer release? It will be available in 6 months, he promises

BTW, LUKE-JR =  fail

For the record, I don't know Kano or Con from Adam and what I posted is no representation of them in any way. Although you should all send Ckolivas a final BTC donation for his cgminer work and I guess Kano, although I'm not sure how their relationship works in this whole thing.

No one will need to work on ASIC so they deserve it for the GPU mining period.

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I probably shouldn't give his lies a response, but...

Again as I stated before, the BFL code gives 5x the stales of the GPU code and the Icarus code.
Here Kano is going just based on raw stale count. He should knew pretty well that the hack he's talking about actually hides most of these, rather than preventing them. The proper solution can actually prevent them.
The proper solution is to fix the fucking BFL bitstream.
Having to poll the stupid thing over and over again looking for a reply is so stupid it's unbelievable.
But the BFL guy told you - yes read between the lines - fuck off luke-jr they aren't doing that (even if they did say before they would)
Are you stupid or what?

I wrote the LP change in the Icarus code.
The truth is, I implemented LP support for Icarus in CGMiner. Anyone can see this in: 34f8641 Icarus: Abandon a scanhash early when work restart requested

FWIW, while Kano didn't introduce longpoll support, he has contributed a bit to the Icarus driver:
Look I am sick of your stupid lies.
You refer to your update above - yeah click on it - it's dated? 21-Apr when you wrote it.
My commit that I overwrote it with is dated 2 days later 23-Apr.
https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/commit/80f4fbbdebb4a1c8cf356c2334cb73cd01925eed
However that code came from my git.
Code:
commit 9ae94d0564168804ae666f961e087ec0f80de355
Author: Kano
Date:   Sun Apr 1 19:42:29 2012 +1000

icarus.c reduce stales by aborting work on LP
I still have a copy of that git on my computer so I searched it to find that above.
Which is as I said to you above - 3 weeks before (well give or take a few days Tongue)
That branch doesn't exist any more - but even xiangfu copied it back then (a few times after that as I made changes) to run it on his Icarus farm, long before I put it into ckolivas git.
Now even more to that - if I check the FreeNode IRC #cgminer log
March 30:
18:37 < kanoi> hi xiangfu Smiley
18:37 < xiangfu> hi
18:37 < kanoi> got rid of stales Smiley
18:37 < kanoi> (icarus)
18:38 < kanoi> jst been letting it run for a while - not a lot of blocks/LP's this afternoon since I've been working on it Sad
18:39 < xiangfu> sorry. cannot follow you. Sad  you mean there is new code that can get rid of stales?
18:39 < kanoi> yes I've done that this after noon
18:39 < kanoi> I'll put it up on my git in a minute if you want
18:40 < kanoi> you got a minute now?
18:41 < kanoi> I'll put it up - you can grab a copy and then I'll remove it - I haven't tested it on windows yet so I can't leave it there for now

April 4:
17:16 < midnightmagic> kanoi: hey thanks for that icarus LP change. it's working very well.
April 12: (no missing lines between)
18:24 < xiangfu> I am using kanoi/master f15076697750fc17b2f6f32030497b1d6c27fb4e (April 5)
18:52 < a5m0> is that better than the ckovias one?
18:55 < kanoi> for Icarus it includes aborting work on an LP

I wouldn't worry about Kano's trolling - he's taking a lot of things out of context and combining with outright lies to basically throw a fit. Ironically, I don't even remember what his original reason for throwing a fit this time was anymore Wink
Just like you don't remember facts, only spit out lies so often.
It's getting tiresome.
This is the first time you've actually tried to prove yourself right.
Well at least you tried to back your lies, you thought you were smart coz github no longer shows the history of my code, but you didn't realise I would still have a copy of that git or have the comments in IRC to prove you wrong.
I'm fucking sick of it - constantly saying 'you tell the truth' and 'I lie' - and each time I've shows it's the other way around.

Please stop wasting your time and write some useful code ...

Oh wait - no that's not possible either.
When I asked you to do the LP code in BFL you said that it couldn't be done without messing up something or other.
Yet today in a couple of hours ckolivas has written a few patches to your BFL code (without even having a BFL) and it does do LP abort properly and reduced my rejected shares in a major way.

Yeah so now you aren't the only one with low reject BFL code - everyone can have it now from the cgminer git and in the next release.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Just go away already. I already told you I'm outta here. Take all the bfl stuff, I'm retiring.
legendary
I got sick of hearing about this issue, so I coded up a generic solution for the problem myself, even though I have no singles of my own.

How do you put up with their constant bickering? lol
By ignoring them. I finally offered code to fix some BFL hardware and luke rejected it lol. I guess he was afraid BFL might realise they're betting on the wrong horse by supporting him instead of me. Whatever, I'm outta here, this is like a primary school playground and I'm no longer interested.
Correction: I didn't reject it, I found it didn't work and started to explain why not - and he rudely dismissed the possibility there was anything wrong with it (though he later decided to fix some of the more obvious issues).
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
I got sick of hearing about this issue, so I coded up a generic solution for the problem myself, even though I have no singles of my own.

By ignoring them. I finally offered code to fix some BFL hardware and luke rejected it lol. I guess he was afraid BFL might realise they're betting on the wrong horse by supporting him instead of me. Whatever, I'm outta here, this is like a primary school playground and I'm no longer interested.
legendary
Looks like Con's solution to his perceived problem of "BFL actually supports CGMiner pretty well, via the original developer of FPGA support and BFL driver - but that's not via me" is to get rid of me so they're left forced to give him stuff or not be supported. In effect, Con has decided that CGMiner will become/live on (how long?) as a de facto hostile fork of BFGMiner (which has continuity of maintenance). I'm disappointed Con has chosen to severe cooperation between CGMiner and BFGMiner, but I hope to continue pulling as many improvements from CGMiner as possible (Con hinted earlier tonight that he wasn't planning to accept the device API updates needed for better Mini Rig functionality - including p2pool compatibility - so there's an increased risk some changes might become impractical)

P.S. I won't speak for BFL, but they asked me to do the Mini Rig improvements for BFGMiner originally (I was doing the CGMiner backport mainly because it was possible). Hopefully this will finally be ready this week (waiting on BFL for some last things), and I expect to release a version of BFGMiner using it ASAP.
legendary
Activity: 952

-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
legendary
I probably shouldn't give his lies a response, but...

Again as I stated before, the BFL code gives 5x the stales of the GPU code and the Icarus code.
Here Kano is going just based on raw stale count. He should knew pretty well that the hack he's talking about actually hides most of these, rather than preventing them. The proper solution can actually prevent them.

I wrote the LP change in the Icarus code.
The truth is, I implemented LP support for Icarus in CGMiner. Anyone can see this in: 34f8641 Icarus: Abandon a scanhash early when work restart requested

FWIW, while Kano didn't introduce longpoll support, he has contributed a bit to the Icarus driver:
  • Cosmetics: Change "PGA" to "ICA" and add himself to copyright header
  • REMOVED epoll support (CGMiner performs worse than BFGMiner on Linux, because of this)
  • Improve detection time with faster "golden nonce"
  • REMOVED workaround for Icarus USB-UART dropping communication on some systems (because of this, CGMiner will not work with Icarus for more than a few hours on my system or anyone else affected by the hardware issue)
  • --icarus-timing and automatic hashrate detection (this was an excellent improvement)
  • General FPGA avoiding of harmless serial port open failures

It's important to note if you just look at the commit log that Kano reverted a number of my improvements in 80f4fbbdebb4a1c8cf356c2334cb73cd01925eed, and later added them back himself. Other additions, like fixing the MH/s display, I spent hours debugging to find the problem and fix for it, and Kano ripped it off without properly attributing me.

I would not attempt to try and edit the BFL code, since the last time I made a MINOR indirect change that included the BFL code, he had it rejected from cgminer: https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/pull/215
No, I told you to fix the bug you introduced with it. When you refused, I fixed it for you, and the actual improvement you made was merged - note that I even made sure to attribute you properly.

If you guys are referring to firmware support of nonce range processing, this is in the Mini-Rig class products, but not in the Singles.

Upgrading the firmware in the singles with these new calls is not possible via USB, so if you have a software side enhancement to give the same end result, I would have to say that's best so units already in the field can operate more efficiently.  Both Mini Rigs & SC based processors support nonce range.

If this hadn't been made clear before, Luke and you were waiting for a Singles firmware update... I apologize.
Unfortunately, it doesn't achieve nearly the same end result, and the minimal results it does get really don't justify the time (IMO) it would take to make something generally usable of it - obviously spending the time finishing up the protocol update (now limited to Mini Rigs) and getting Windows auto-detect are better uses Wink

I wouldn't worry about Kano's trolling - he's taking a lot of things out of context and combining with outright lies to basically throw a fit. Ironically, I don't even remember what his original reason for throwing a fit this time was anymore Wink
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
If you guys are referring to firmware support of nonce range processing, this is in the Mini-Rig class products, but not in the Singles.  

Upgrading the firmware in the singles with these new calls is not possible via USB, so if you have a software side enhancement to give the same end result, I would have to say that's best so units already in the field can operate more efficiently.  Both Mini Rigs & SC based processors support nonce range.

If this hadn't been made clear before, Luke and you were waiting for a Singles firmware update... I apologize.
Oh that's a pity, even gigavps mentioned that he had passed this info onto you guys about 3 months ago ...
And luke-jr's "any day now" was his reason for only having his own version of a low-stale miner ... not everyone else having.
Oh well BFL sux when it comes to stales and sounds like that aint gonna change soon.
Pages:
Jump to: