Pages:
Author

Topic: Will we get fooled again? - page 2. (Read 1777 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
firstbits 1LoCBS
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615
August 30, 2012, 09:31:15 AM
. . . you also have to be smart enough . . . that will be a glacially slow process at evolutionary speeds.
You make the mistake of assuming that evolution will select for the more intelligent (or "smarter").  Evolution ALWAYS selects for the best odds of the most procreation.  It is not certain that the more intelligent will have better odds of procreation.  If in the future less intelligence increases the odds or rate of procreation, then the human race will evolve to be less intelligent.
donator
Activity: 853
Merit: 1000
August 30, 2012, 09:14:05 AM
I guessed the song before I even clicked.

Smiley
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
August 29, 2012, 09:12:25 PM
In the olden days, it took at least one generation (20 years+) before stupid mistakes were repeated and lessons had to be re-learned.

Times have shortened...and I'm slightly more optimistic going forward, because humanity now has really good archiving technology.  So the next time someone tries to start a Bitcoin Ponzi, knowledge repositories like this forum should still be up and running.  Interested parties will be able to see what happened in real time, hopefully learn from our stupidity, and avoid making the same mistakes.

Having said that, many people here blissfully ignored the great links posted in various threads to the EVE Ponzi story.  So it's not enough to have the historical info, you also have to be smart enough to use it.  To fix that, we need advances in human nature so that we think less emotionally and more logically.  But unfortunately, that will be a glacially slow process at evolutionary speeds.
Activity: 868
August 29, 2012, 08:53:25 PM
Of course.  Just like with housing and stock market bubbles, everyone will be running around assuring each other that "it's different this time".  I'm not even sure that the next big scam will be any more sophisticated.  Exploiting people's vanity and greed has been a winning combination for a very long time and I doubt that's going to change any time soon.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
August 29, 2012, 08:46:10 PM
I guessed the song before I even clicked. And yes of course people will get fooled again. The future generation of bitcoiners a decade from now will join the economy and someone will promise them 7% a week. Us older bitcoiners will tell them the legend of th man name Pirate who stole all our money. They won't listen to us old farts.
donator
Activity: 853
August 29, 2012, 08:38:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE

While listening to the awesome song, please take a moment to answer the pole

As for me, I answered "I have no clue"
Pages:
Jump to: