Pages:
Author

Topic: Within 2 years, effectively 85% of all bitcoins are mined! - page 4. (Read 4733 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 1000
Fica Tranquilo

I think the near future 'limited new supply' vs 'high demand' is highly underestimated. Good times ahead!

source: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/chart-bitcoin-inflation-vs-time-130619

The truth is even better...

This graph assumes a stable mining pace, however we all know that bitcoins are mined at an increasing pace...
The actual next halving of the reward will already be halfway 2016...
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
I think this will likely result in a more stable price as there will be less of a supply of bitcoin that will generally be sold to cover mining costs. A more stable price will likely (IMO) result in a higher overall level of adoption.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
It's a shame, because now nobody will invest in any bitcoin-related ideas. Instead, they'll be laying as many people off and using as old equipment as possible because, y'know - deflation. We've had extreme "real" deflation over the past few years... that's probably why we're in a dry spell, now. Everyone must've been banking on bitcoin staying nominally inflationary forever so nobody could retire.

-Or something. I'm sure there's a legit counter-point somewhere.
I would disagree. The reason why we have had such a "deflationary" period is because people/investors had to "discover" bitcoin in order to invest and buy it. The inflation rate in terms of total of bitcoin available has been increasing at levels that would be generally be considered to be unhealthy under normal conditions.

The fact that a lower "true" inflation rate is occurring does not mean that "deflation" will occur (higher USD/BTC prices), but rather a more stable price. I would argue that a more stable price would give people less of an incentive to hoard their bitcoin and more of an incentive to engage in commerce in bitcoin, which would encourage more companies to invest in bitcoin related businesses and infrastructure. 
legendary
Activity: 2242
Merit: 3523
Flippin' burgers since 1163.
I hope you are right because to me it all seems stale, news that would have boosted the price doesnt seem to affect it any more.  Undecided

There is only a limited time frame left wherein the shortage of bitcoins can be denied.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
It's a shame, because now nobody will invest in any bitcoin-related ideas. Instead, they'll be laying as many people off and using as old equipment as possible because, y'know - deflation. We've had extreme "real" deflation over the past few years... that's probably why we're in a dry spell, now. Everyone must've been banking on bitcoin staying nominally inflationary forever so nobody could retire.

-Or something. I'm sure there's a legit counter-point somewhere.
Activity: 127
Merit: 100
I hope you are right because to me it all seems stale, news that would have boosted the price doesnt seem to affect it any more.  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 2242
Merit: 3523
Flippin' burgers since 1163.
In our current western economy, when there is plenty for everyone, few consider the real value of their money and material possessions. The same applies to the current bitcoin presumed dollar value. Daily supply (~3600 coins) is still high, and demand relatively low.

However, the above is about to reverse. Fresh supply is about to run out, the last 10% takes forever. This while the usability keeps on increasing at an amazing pace.

I think the near future 'limited new supply' vs 'high demand' is highly underestimated. Good times ahead!

source: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/chart-bitcoin-inflation-vs-time-130619

Pages:
Jump to: