Pages:
Author

Topic: Would you like to have an app for Bicointalk.org - page 3. (Read 804 times)

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
I would never dare to write a reply on the mobile browser. God, its a hell of a task.  Grin
Typing on a small touch screen is terrible with or without app.

The layout could be improved, as it now requires a lot of left/right scrolling on a small screen, but I barely install new apps and wouldn't install it for something as unimportant as improving the forum interface.
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 6830
It's difficult for me to type on the forum from my mobile phone, I keep zooming in and out, dragging left and right to be able to see clearly, it's exhausting really without a PC.
I think we'll surely do with a more friendly site for phone users and I think this should be put into consideration by theymos.
An app is still a far cry away and I doubt that it'll ever be implemented, so I think we should simply focus on making typing less stressful for smartphone users.
If you use Firefox as your mobile browser, you can use this extension to make the forum more responsible.
While that's not the best solution, it works.

[Source Code] Bitcointalk mobile Addon buat Firefox Android
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1268
Life's but a walking shadow!
It's difficult for me to type on the forum from my mobile phone, I keep zooming in and out, dragging left and right to be able to see clearly, it's exhausting really without a PC.
I think we'll surely do with a more friendly site for phone users and I think this should be put into consideration by theymos.
An app is still a far cry away and I doubt that it'll ever be implemented, so I think we should simply focus on making typing less stressful for smartphone users.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18587
Not sure how expensive it would be to make the forum look pretty on a smartphone, but I'm fairly sure bitcointalk has the funds.
I think it's less to do with funds and more to do with time and effort. The latest versions of Simple Machines Forum software provide mobile responsive themes and designs, so all he would need to do is update to the latest version of the software. However, doing so would likely break a bunch of other features and need a significant amount of time to repair. Given that he hasn't done it yet, I can't see him doing it as Epochtalk gets closer to completion.
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
Not an app; but I'd be definately up for a phone browser friendly layout of the forum (some m.bitcointalk.org or similar).
I'd be for that, but not for my own benefit--I can barely type out coherent sentences on my phone because of my huge thumbs and tiny keyboard.  Even when I use a stylus it's an enormous pain in the ass.  That's just me, though.  I'm sure a lot of members do access the forum from their phone, and it'd be nice to have a proper mobile layout for them, and there would be no app needed.

I've actually been quite surprised that Theymos hasn't implemented something like this, since most websites I know of are mobile-friendly and he certainly could do it.  Not sure how expensive it would be to make the forum look pretty on a smartphone, but I'm fairly sure bitcointalk has the funds. 

By the way, this isn't the first time this has been discussed.  I don't think Theymos has the will to do it.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18587
I would love to be able to browse more easily on mobile, but an app is never going to happen. The new forum software Epochtalk will be much more mobile friendly when it is finally released. You can see a very rough idea of how it will look on mobile by visiting https://www.cryptos-currencies.com/, which is being hosted by user lulucrypto.

Given that the new software has been in development for 5+ years, and we still don't have a release date yet, there is no chance that theymos is going to divert time, money, and attention away from it and to begin development on an app. In the meantime, there are user created scripts you can search for which make things a bit nicer on mobile, but as they are all unofficial, you are using them at your own risk - the creator could quite easily slip in some malicious code.
copper member
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1325
I'm sometimes known as "miniadmin"
Not an app; but I'd be definately up for a phone browser friendly layout of the forum (some m.bitcointalk.org or similar).

An app requires to be allowed in the device; which goes quite against the privacy some users want, but there is a TOR mobile app, so with being the site mobile friendly, they'd still be able to maintain that level of anonimity.
Activity: 98
Merit: 49
Because of time constraints, I have not been able to come to the forum as much as I would like to. The current format of the website makes it very unfriendly to be operated on the mobile web browser. I would never dare to write a reply on the mobile browser. God, its a hell of a task.  Grin

I would request the forum admin (theymos) to allocate some funds to the development of a sleek and beautiful mobile application that would make it easier for people like me to access the portal on the go. I think there is an ample amount of fund lying with the forum (going by his comments) to undertake such a development. Maybe, we can contribute to the app by giving out our suggestions for the same. I would love to know about what the community thinks about getting an app.
Pages:
Jump to: