Pages:
Author

Topic: WTF Auction #10 - Unique 5 BTC Hybrid Coin - Lealana & Casascius - page 2. (Read 1066 times)

Activity: 354
Merit: 23
Activity: 47
Merit: 11
For something this expensive....you either meet personally or hire a crypto courier like Anonminer.

I would never ever send this by mail. Just my Satoshis
If the winner is in the continental USA I would be happy to fly/drive out and personally deliver the coin, however that cost would have to be added to the total amount as some sort of delivery fee.  Or if someone wants to come to Colorado they are more than welcome to come pick it up.  If not, shipping high value items is a thing and I remain confident that it can be shipped safely.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1242
You can guess on the topic.... or say we will insure it, but you can't..... PERIOD.  Sure the agent will tell you all you want to hear about providing coverage, but when you go to make a claim they will not cover ANY digital value.  It's a fact.  I highly recommend those of you dealing with high end coins to make yourself a bit more informed on this matter.  I have done my research, but no need to trust me... do your own.  

I think it depends who you talk to @ the post office. My friend is a postmaster with almost 10 years experience. He said if you can prove you paid XYZ for it (I explained it as a password to a digital safe) then they shouldn't deny the claim. It's digital property according to the IRS so I don't see how the USPS can consider to be something else.

He is wrong and merely guessing.  I'm done saying the same thing over and over.  Take your chance.  Oh.... and ask your buddy if he's certain enough that the USPS would cover it to dig in his pocket if they don't.  I bet you get his real answer.... and if he says yes, get it in writing. Wink
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 2224
EIN: 82-3893490
hire a crypto courier like Anonminer.

sorry it's off topic - but that is a thing?!?! That would be awesome to do stuff like that, travel, meet people etc!

Yes it is a thing. I am a crypto courier as well. But atm not offering service. So recommend anonminer who is offering

awesome! I cant wait till I have enough trust in this community to offer the service as well! ok - I will be quiet now - back to buying this beautiful coin someone!
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 3238
The Stone the masons rejected was the cornerstone.
You can guess on the topic.... or say we will insure it, but you can't..... PERIOD.  Sure the agent will tell you all you want to hear about providing coverage, but when you go to make a claim they will not cover ANY digital value.  It's a fact.  I highly recommend those of you dealing with high end coins to make yourself a bit more informed on this matter.  I have done my research, but no need to trust me... do your own. 

I think it depends who you talk to @ the post office. My friend is a postmaster with almost 10 years experience. He said if you can prove you paid XYZ for it (I explained it as a password to a digital safe) then they shouldn't deny the claim. It's digital property according to the IRS so I don't see how the USPS can consider to be something else.

And you really want to go thru that headache or take that chance? No way...i had items lost and it was a nightmare to get anything done or back. Imagine with btc. People will not undeestand our hobby and how it works.
copper member
Activity: 335
Merit: 35
You can guess on the topic.... or say we will insure it, but you can't..... PERIOD.  Sure the agent will tell you all you want to hear about providing coverage, but when you go to make a claim they will not cover ANY digital value.  It's a fact.  I highly recommend those of you dealing with high end coins to make yourself a bit more informed on this matter.  I have done my research, but no need to trust me... do your own. 

legendary

sorry it's off topic - but that is a thing?!?! That would be awesome to do stuff like that, travel, meet people etc!

Yes it is a thing. I am a crypto courier as well. But atm not offering service. So recommend anonminer who is offering
legendary

legendary
legendary
For something this expensive....you either meet personally or hire a crypto courier like Anonminer.

I would never ever send this by mail. Just my Satoshis
legendary
I am just starting to learn about these coins, so if my questions are stupid, I apologize - why does the year on the front (2012) not match the date on the back (2013)? Is it coin made in 2012 and funded in 2013?

Read Smothie's original auction post, there's more info here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/lealana-casascius-2012-5-btc-brass-hybrid-auction-1145131

thanks! will do!
I am sure we can get insurance for this, as this is not just a generic wallet or coin with "digital value", this is a unique coin, the only one of its kind in existence!  I have shipped many rare coins insured (numismatics mostly), and if we set it up the right way, meaning we treat it as a rare numismatic piece, not a physical wallet, I don't see why it wouldn't work this time.  However, if anyone wants to bid with a disclaimer that the bid is only valid if it can be confirmed that the shipping can be insured, I am happy to abide under that condition. 
I am just starting to learn about these coins, so if my questions are stupid, I apologize - why does the year on the front (2012) not match the date on the back (2013)? Is it coin made in 2012 and funded in 2013?

Read Smothie's original auction post, there's more info here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/lealana-casascius-2012-5-btc-brass-hybrid-auction-1145131
Activity: 1211
Merit: 135
Krogothmanhattan alt account
MJ when I have shipped high dollar crypto coins I always use USPS registered mail. You are telling me in case of loss they would not pay out the full value I insured for? At least registered mail is very secure, never had a problem. In that case what is the best method of shipping a very expensive coin like this one?

In person safest and best. I don't think any carrier covers any digital value.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164
MJ when I have shipped high dollar crypto coins I always use USPS registered mail. You are telling me in case of loss they would not pay out the full value I insured for? At least registered mail is very secure, never had a problem. In that case what is the best method of shipping a very expensive coin like this one?
legendary
A few folks have asked for some more information regarding shipping and insurance, as well as for some more photos.

Someone asked about the photos, they appear to show a scratch, and whether or not the scratch is on the coin or the air-tite, and it's on the air-tite.  I took the coin out of the holder and took the following additional photos: https://postimg.cc/gallery/44Bj3LD

As to shipping and insurance, UPS offers high value goods shipping which includes options to insure up to $100,000 for international shipments, or up to $150,000 for domestic (USA).  If someone bids on this coin and wins, I would be more than happy to cover the cost of the insurance (winner still pays the $30 domestic shipping fee, or international shipping fee. I will cover insurance): https://upscapital.com/product-services/high-value-goods-parcel-pro/

Insurance does not cover the digital value...   even private insurances have disclaimers about this.

Have you ever had to file a claim?

USPS Website States:

Proof of Value, Replacement, or Repair Costs

"The final or complete transaction sheet indicating the amount deducted from an Internet account to pay for the item."

Would a Bitcoin transaction that includes the USD at the time of the transaction suffice for this?

Would these fall under their "gift card" category?

100% they do not cover digital value!!  ICG made a collector whole and most came from their own pockets as insurance does not cover digital value.  There was a theft by a postal worker on a package they sent out.  It was an inside job at the post office.  Insurance covered the precious metals and a touch more, but that was it.
copper member
Activity: 335
Merit: 35
A few folks have asked for some more information regarding shipping and insurance, as well as for some more photos.

Someone asked about the photos, they appear to show a scratch, and whether or not the scratch is on the coin or the air-tite, and it's on the air-tite.  I took the coin out of the holder and took the following additional photos: https://postimg.cc/gallery/44Bj3LD

As to shipping and insurance, UPS offers high value goods shipping which includes options to insure up to $100,000 for international shipments, or up to $150,000 for domestic (USA).  If someone bids on this coin and wins, I would be more than happy to cover the cost of the insurance (winner still pays the $30 domestic shipping fee, or international shipping fee. I will cover insurance): https://upscapital.com/product-services/high-value-goods-parcel-pro/

Insurance does not cover the digital value...   even private insurances have disclaimers about this.

Have you ever had to file a claim?

USPS Website States:

Proof of Value, Replacement, or Repair Costs

"The final or complete transaction sheet indicating the amount deducted from an Internet account to pay for the item."

Would a Bitcoin transaction that includes the USD at the time of the transaction suffice for this?

Would these fall under their "gift card" category?
legendary

2 different makers... 2 different production dates....  coin in 2012 by Casascius....  hologram in 2013 by Lealana

gotcha! thanks. I recognized the coin as Casascius - I just didnt realize that with the holo coming from Lealana would be the reason - but it makes sense. I was thinking that both were produced at the same time but I can see how that can easily not always be the case.

I am always continuing to learn here, thanks again!
legendary

Someone asked about the photos, they appear to show a scratch, and whether or not the scratch is on the coin or the air-tite, and it's on the air-tite.  I took the coin out of the holder and took the following additional photos: https://postimg.cc/gallery/44Bj3LD

As to shipping and insurance, UPS offers high value goods shipping which includes options to insure up to $100,000 for international shipments, or up to $150,000 for domestic (USA).  If someone bids on this coin and wins, I would be more than happy to cover the cost of the insurance (winner still pays the $30 domestic shipping fee, or international shipping fee. I will cover insurance): https://upscapital.com/product-services/high-value-goods-parcel-pro/
Pages:
Jump to: