Pages:
Author

Topic: X6500 Custom FPGA Miner - page 26. (Read 219954 times)

Activity: 720
Merit: 525
February 29, 2012, 04:00:13 AM
I was able to drastically reduce the rate of invalids by removing the heatsinks, scrapping clean the white adhesive and using gasoline, and the apply thermal paste (I couldn't quickly find thermal epoxy here in Mexico) and then gently press the heatsinks back on.

I think TheSeven is right about the nasty plastic packaging of the FPGA, it is the major bottleneck for its heat to dissipate. Isn't this chip available with a metal top?

Glad to hear you got it working better! Is the heatsink then attached to the PCB in some way? I don't think the thermal grease will hold onto it very well (for long at least). Or maybe I misunderstood what you used...

Nope, no metal packages available for the Spartan 6 FPGAs, unfortunately. Looking at the published thermal specs for these FPGAs (UG385, page 341), though, I don't think the case is that bad. Obviously metal would be better, but we're just trying to move less than 10 W here. In rough numbers, keeping the thermal resistance from case to ambient under about 5 degC/W should be good enough. This is possible with the stock heatsinks and a good fan next to the board. The key then is that we have two parallel thermal paths: through the case and through the PCB. Adding those in parallel means that the total thermal resistance from junction to ambient is reduced a lot. This is why airflow over the board itself is very helpful! If you want to eliminate whole board airflow, you need to drastically reduce the thermal resistance of the heatsink.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame
February 28, 2012, 10:43:13 PM
I was able to drastically reduce the rate of invalids by removing the heatsinks, scrapping clean the white adhesive and using gasoline, and the apply thermal paste (I couldn't quickly find thermal epoxy here in Mexico) and then gently press the heatsinks back on.

I think TheSeven is right about the nasty plastic packaging of the FPGA, it is the major bottleneck for its heat to dissipate. Isn't this chip available with a metal top?

Liquid nitrogen bath for hashing...lol
Activity: 518
February 28, 2012, 10:30:36 PM
I don't see one available on digikey -- Xilinx might be able to cook something up, but I'm willing to bet it would cost quite a bit.
Activity: 408
Merit: 101
🦜| Save Smart & Win 🦜
February 28, 2012, 10:17:13 PM

donator
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
February 27, 2012, 09:00:12 PM
Those things are sweet, i'm totally trying a set of those out.
Activity: 162
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
February 27, 2012, 06:46:37 PM

is that a combined fan/heatsink?  what brand/model?  what do the numbers represent on the readout at the top?
legendary
Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000
February 27, 2012, 06:42:45 PM
SamHa1n what enclosure is that?
Activity: 90
Merit: 10
Activity: 60
February 27, 2012, 05:28:35 PM
Activity: 378
Why is it so damn hot in here?
February 26, 2012, 12:16:36 AM
Still waiting to see an oil immersion cooling setup.   Grin
Activity: 80
February 25, 2012, 04:40:05 PM
@ mike2kt:

Holy! That is one crazy setup! (had to comment on how crazy it was lol)

That aside, why don't you epoxy the heatinks down and the the fan closer to the heatsinks?

Let's just say that’s not my first X6500 board. I used to test with a mix of arctic silver epoxy and regular arctic silver. Not a good solution for frequent swaps. As for the fan in that picture, it moves 81.5CFM. Interestingly enough, I get MORE invalids on core 0 (the core closest to the fan) if I put it right next to the board (large magnetic field).

This board is used more like a test mule rather than "just a miner."

-M2KT
Activity: 249
February 25, 2012, 02:37:49 PM
@ mike2kt:

Holy! That is one crazy setup! (had to comment on how crazy it was lol)

That aside, why don't you epoxy the heatinks down and the the fan closer to the heatsinks?

At last I can post! Thank you fizzisist!

Here is a shot of the "Deep Cool Nbridge 8 Northbridge Chipset Cooler" set. I have a 5 lbs weight to hold them down on the rev 2 board at the moment. The fan in the photo is a Delta screamer and not the Panaflo I use daily. Obviously the Delta puts out a lot more CFM then the 40 CFM Panaflo, but the invalid rate (<0.3 @200Mhz) is the same between the two fans from my testing.

CYA Disclaimer: this is a rev 2 board that I push to the edge. Until the rev 3 boards arrive with proper heatsink mounts, I can’t recommend ANYONE else try the unconventional tests I’ve been running. I have thermal sensors, voltage monitors and additional inline fuses that are not standard to protect the rev 2 board (100% automatic cutoff if anything is out-of-range).

- M2KT

Actually, someone (mike2kt) has already tested that cooler and shared his results by email. Here's what he says:

I would post a reply, but my stupid account is still locked from posting.

The cooler he is linking to is the one I’ve been using full time for the past few weeks.

The answer is YES, they will work passively on the 200Mhz bitstream given clearance around and above the board.

However, I personally still run a small 80mm, 40 CFM fan (Panaflo H1A) blowing across the board just to keep the other components cool. The fan is silent for all intents and purposes.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
February 24, 2012, 11:54:02 PM

Here is a shot of the "Deep Cool Nbridge 8 Northbridge Chipset Cooler" set. I have a 5 lbs weight to hold them down on the rev 2 board at the moment. The fan in the photo is a Delta screamer and not the Panaflo I use daily. Obviously the Delta puts out a lot more CFM then the 40 CFM Panaflo, but the invalid rate (<0.3 @200Mhz) is the same between the two fans from my testing.

CYA Disclaimer: this is a rev 2 board that I push to the edge. Until the rev 3 boards arrive with proper heatsink mounts, I can’t recommend ANYONE else try the unconventional tests I’ve been running. I have thermal sensors, voltage monitors and additional inline fuses that are not standard to protect the rev 2 board (100% automatic cutoff if anything is out-of-range).

- M2KT

Actually, someone (mike2kt) has already tested that cooler and shared his results by email. Here's what he says:

The cooler he is linking to is the one I’ve been using full time for the past few weeks.

The answer is YES, they will work passively on the 200Mhz bitstream given clearance around and above the board.

However, I personally still run a small 80mm, 40 CFM fan (Panaflo H1A) blowing across the board just to keep the other components cool. The fan is silent for all intents and purposes.

LOL, that is some crazy sh*t! Wink
Activity: 80
February 24, 2012, 11:45:05 PM

- M2KT

February 24, 2012, 10:01:31 PM
Hi fizzisist,

could a fully passive cooler like this, one per fpga, be enough?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12775/vid-165/Deep_Cool_Nbridge_8_Northbridge_Chipset_Cooler.html?tl=g40c16s500&id=sLNsfH2v

spiccioli

February 24, 2012, 09:10:35 PM
Heh you should have come up with all these suggestions a month ago when the new board was being designed.   I for one much prefer power one side, usb the other. The rev3 board, for me is completely optimal.

You're right, too late for this revision! But, they're great ideas and we're always looking to improve. We're collecting all of these ideas and keeping them in mind as we plan for the future.
legendary
Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000
February 24, 2012, 07:59:26 PM
And yes! I would totally love to see how you got MPBM working on OpenWRT!!!
+1
Activity: 266
The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame
February 24, 2012, 07:21:55 PM
Maybe instead of daisy chaining USB, the board can come with its own bus, so they can be easily added without having to use more USBs and power cables.

or create a 6 card max backplane?
Activity: 408
Merit: 101
🦜| Save Smart & Win 🦜
February 24, 2012, 06:08:54 PM
Maybe instead of daisy chaining USB, the board can come with its own bus, so they can be easily added without having to use more USBs and power cables.
Pages:
Jump to: