Pages:
Author

Topic: X6500 Custom FPGA Miner - page 9. (Read 219829 times)

Activity: 60
Merit: 10
July 06, 2012, 09:36:28 AM
Thanks for your reply. So any clue what is wrong in my case? Thanks in advance

If you have mount holes, mount the sink with high quality thermal paste. If you have an older unit without mount holes, use a high quality thermal epoxy ( but do it right, google it, practice on something else, you have pretty much one shot with epoxy).

The adhesive pads do not work well for fpga applications. I would guess 90% of issues when people are unable to achieve decent speed is directly related to how well the job was done mating the heat sink on to fpga core. This has been very true in my own experience, regardless of brand or type.
Activity: 237
Merit: 100
July 06, 2012, 08:43:46 AM
Thanks for your reply. So any clue what is wrong in my case? Thanks in advance
Activity: 243
July 06, 2012, 08:41:35 AM
I'm using Arctic Cooling MX4 thermal grease compound, with the same northbridge cooler. Ambient temp of 25C and without the 120mm avg temp at 200Mhz is 35C, with the 120mm it drop down to 30-32C.
July 06, 2012, 08:18:10 AM
Hi,

Yesterday my Northbridge 2 heatsinks (http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/main/vid-164.jpg) arrived finally.

After mounting them on the X6500 board (with the included thermal tape), the effect of cooling disappoints a quite a bit.
The ambient temperature of my room is 17 degrees Celsius. Yet the temperature of the core is 44 degrees at 126 MH/s.
Is this normal? Is it necessary to buy additional cooling, or should I mount it with thermal glue instead of the included thermal tape?

EDIT:
The metal case of the heatsinks feels cold. Is this normal? You would think that the conduction is not alright...? I assume the temperature of the metal case should be 44 degrees ?
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
July 04, 2012, 01:35:50 PM
Well, guys, I don't know how to put this... I've lost all my work on the x6500 support on cgminer... I was waiting for a partial working version to push to my git repo and... the hard drive died. I've had other drives die on me in the same manner (it doesn't spin up, just clicks), and I always got them to spin up one more time to get a backup done, only it has taken multiple days until I managed that. I'm trying...

But I really don't feel like starting all over right this minute, so if someone else wants to take a stab at it I'll be glad to send the board over. I did pay taxes on getting it into EU and I would really like to get that much reimbursed by whoever gets the board. Failing that I can try to return the board to fizzisist and try to get the taxes reimbursed, though I'm not sure I can.

Or once the frustration wears down I can get to it again, but honestly I've put a lot of time in this and this was the most amateurish error I could have done.

But rest assured I did not grab the board and ran, I'm fully invested in ztex boards and am only doing this x6500 thing to help out, as most of you probably know.

I'll let everyone know if I do get to recover my work but don't hold your breath.

It sucks!!!
Freezer trick, and don't forget the plastic bag to prevent condensation.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
July 04, 2012, 12:29:44 PM
Well, guys, I don't know how to put this... I've lost all my work on the x6500 support on cgminer... I was waiting for a partial working version to push to my git repo and... the hard drive died. I've had other drives die on me in the same manner (it doesn't spin up, just clicks), and I always got them to spin up one more time to get a backup done, only it has taken multiple days until I managed that. I'm trying...

But I really don't feel like starting all over right this minute, so if someone else wants to take a stab at it I'll be glad to send the board over. I did pay taxes on getting it into EU and I would really like to get that much reimbursed by whoever gets the board. Failing that I can try to return the board to fizzisist and try to get the taxes reimbursed, though I'm not sure I can.

Or once the frustration wears down I can get to it again, but honestly I've put a lot of time in this and this was the most amateurish error I could have done.

But rest assured I did not grab the board and ran, I'm fully invested in ztex boards and am only doing this x6500 thing to help out, as most of you probably know.

I'll let everyone know if I do get to recover my work but don't hold your breath.

It sucks!!!
Activity: 447
July 02, 2012, 10:53:54 PM
anyone heard anything on cgminer support for x6500s?

I pm'd nelisky and haven't received a response from him.  Not sure what's going on.

yeah i did the same. never heard back
Activity: 308
July 02, 2012, 12:59:45 PM

I pm'd nelisky and haven't received a response from him.  Not sure what's going on.
Activity: 112
July 02, 2012, 12:41:36 PM

Perhaps ask in the CGMiner thread here : https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/official-cgminer-mining-software-thread-for-linuxwinosxmipsarmr-pi-4110-28402
Or in the BFGMiner thread (fork of CGMiner with extra FPGA support) here : https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/old-bfgminer-modular-fpgagpu-gbt-stratum-rpc-avalonlnxopnwrtppaw64-78192

kind regards
Activity: 447
July 02, 2012, 12:08:12 PM
donator
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
June 25, 2012, 04:59:35 PM
If anyone is interested, I am considering selling a couple of mine.  Let me know.
Activity: 243
June 24, 2012, 06:23:11 PM
Just order my first FGPA board, one X6500 and a Power Supply. I pan to expand in to a Telco Short Rack, then it both modular and expandable.
Activity: 173
June 23, 2012, 09:35:19 AM
MPBM/s default warning temp setting is 45 and I haven't seen these babies above that yet so it's probably normal for a hot environment (I live in the Philippines) and its scorching hot outside during the day. My hobby room doesn't have an AC so I just leave the big window open (barred of course).
June 23, 2012, 09:31:19 AM
Thanks for sharing!
Activity: 173
June 23, 2012, 09:19:15 AM
While waiting for my heatsinks to arrive, I used some old athlon xp hsf and northbridge heatsinks and been mining for almost a week now.

Old Dell Latitude D510 equipped with Pentium M 738 and PATA SSD mining with my new babies.  Smiley

Two is stable above 200 MH/s while the other two fluctuates between 188-199 MH/s. It's probably the temporary HSFs fault. Temps are quite good considering the ambient room temp is between 36-39 Celsius during the day.

The one at the bottom got disconnected yesterday when my cat tried to reclaim his favorite lounging area.
June 23, 2012, 07:47:27 AM
Currently I am using the X6500 Rev3 without any heatsink or cooling (I have ordered the Heatsinks but have to wait several weeks (in the Netherlands the heatsinks are not available unfortuanately). According to the documentation of the  Spartan-6 LX150-3FGG484C the maximum core temperature must not exceed 150 degrees (Celsius?). The MPBM gives fortunately the temp per core. Does anyone can tell me if these temperature values are the ones not to exceed? Or is the maximum allowed temparature lower than 150? Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000
June 16, 2012, 03:04:26 PM
Does the overclocker firmware clock up to 200MHz yet? If not, has there been any work recently towards that?
Just bought another board recently and one of the chips is up 212mh/s!

Will report if it goes higher.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
June 16, 2012, 12:10:43 PM
@All / Fizzisist:

Any word on CGminer support for the X6500 ?

Still trucking along. I've had very little time to spare unfortunately, but I'm by no means stopped. There's a lot of boiler plate code that I'm still doing and I guess that'll take me a couple of solid days, and all I have been able to put is the odd hour here and there.

I'm always hoping to have a test version for everyone during the weekend and then get lots of stuff to do that just takes precedence, it sucks deeply.

But again, I'm working as hard as I can and as soon as I get somewhere usable I'll push it.
Activity: 249
June 14, 2012, 10:26:18 AM
@All / Fizzisist:

Any word on CGminer support for the X6500 ?
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
FPGA Mining LLC
June 13, 2012, 05:20:56 PM
I plan to order a X6500 board once I get back home after this Offsite Server Construction, Do you think a 5A would be enough to power 2 boards?

Thanks in Advance.

At 12V they will use about 3A, so 5A is plenty of headroom.
Pages:
Jump to: