Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 682. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
Been out of the loop for a long time due to life getting in the way.

I just downloaded monero.win.x64.v0-9-0-0. Any instructions that I can refer to?

Thanks!

[1] Unzip / extract the file in a directory you prefer.

[2] Start bitmonerod.exe, this is the daemon. It'll begin to sync from scratch. The syncing time depends on a variety of factors, for instance your bandwith, computer specifications and type of harddrive. However, type of harddrive explains most of the difference in syncing time. On an SSD it usually takes about an hour to sync from scratch, whereas it will take a few hours with an HDD (might even be a bit longer).

[3] If bitmonerod.exe (the daemon) is synced (it will notify you with something like: "bitmonerod has synced, you can now use simplewallet"), you can open up simplewallet.exe and create a wallet (or import / restore an existing one).

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask!

Perfect!

Took me a while but I finally got it installed and I let it sync from scratch. How exactly do I transfer my existing wallet? Obviously copy and pasting doesn't work. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions that they could point me to?

Thanks

That should work, wallets from older binaries are compatible with newer binaries conditional on being created on the same OS.

Damn! It did work.

Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

I just downloaded monero.win.x64.v0-9-0-0. Any instructions that I can refer to?

Thanks!

[2] Start bitmonerod.exe, this is the daemon. It'll begin to sync from scratch. The syncing time depends on a variety of factors, for instance your bandwith, computer specifications and type of harddrive. However, type of harddrive explains most of the difference in syncing time. On an SSD it usually takes about an hour to sync from scratch, whereas it will take a few hours with an HDD (might even be a bit longer).

[3] If bitmonerod.exe (the daemon) is synced (it will notify you with something like: "bitmonerod has synced, you can now use simplewallet"), you can open up simplewallet.exe and create a wallet (or import / restore an existing one).

Perfect!

Took me a while but I finally got it installed and I let it sync from scratch. How exactly do I transfer my existing wallet? Obviously copy and pasting doesn't work. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions that they could point me to?

Thanks

That should work, wallets from older binaries are compatible with newer binaries conditional on being created on the same OS.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

Thanks!

Perfect!

Thanks

legendary
Activity: 2242
Merit: 3523
Flippin' burgers since 1163.

Great, I indeed just received this email. Apparently they could fix it without dev support.

Support Fox (ShapeShift)
Feb 2

Hello,

Monero has been fixed but thanks for your suggestion. Have a great day!
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
Could Monero get on 1ex.trade pls?

Thnx!
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1456
Sounds like an idea for the FFS.  A little marketing wouldn't hurt.
Activity: 1873
Merit: 840
Keep what's important, and know who's your friend
You are right.

Maybe I spam with this chart too much. If so we can move to trello for example.

Let's not make it too detailed.  This bikeshed has already been painted with three coats and a gloss!   Cheesy

Less is more.  Use the oligiodynamic effect.

The goal is to allow people's intuition (which they trust) to do the heavy conceptual lifting.

Don't raise the cognitive load and visual complexity with a bunch of text and stuff all crammed together.

That is ready to be printed on stickers for viral marketing.

Enigmatic is good.  We automatically ignore adverts but are drawn to puzzles.

Let people figure it out.  Or put a QR code for getmonero on the bottom.    Cool

Hmm....the dollar bills look a little scrunched in the avatar.  Perhaps just a big $ would be better for low res...

I've thought about this last year, but would anyone be interested in going in with me to get a bunch of stickers made with a corresponding QR code that directs people to the getmonero page? I was recently thinking about printing out stickers like that with just the original Monero logo, but I feel like that logo would better intrigue people. I travel a good bit, and also live close to a college town, so I could easily post them on campus and anywhere else I go I travel for work. I would be trying to target a younger group of people, so I would probably stick to areas that might garner attention, like around the bar areas and such.

Do you guys even think it would be worth it? would a direct link to getmonero be the best website to direct people to learn more about it? I feel like there might need to be an even more generic landing page for something like this for people who have never heard of Bitcoin or cryptocurrencies in general, since I feel like getmonero is more intended for a group that has familiarized themselves with cryptos.

What do you guys think?
Activity: 400
Merit: 263
The colours are still ugly and muddy.

:cry:
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
You are right.

Maybe I spam with this chart too much. If so we can move to trello for example.

Let's not make it too detailed.  This bikeshed has already been painted with three coats and a gloss!   Cheesy

Less is more.  Use the oligiodynamic effect.

The goal is to allow people's intuition (which they trust) to do the heavy conceptual lifting.

Don't raise the cognitive load and visual complexity with a bunch of text and stuff all crammed together.

That is ready to be printed on stickers for viral marketing.

Enigmatic is good.  We automatically ignore adverts but are drawn to puzzles.

Let people figure it out.  Or put a QR code for getmonero on the bottom.    Cool

Hmm....the dollar bills look a little scrunched in the avatar.  Perhaps just a big $ would be better for low res...
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Doesn't that get fixed in this PR? -> https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/pull/630

EDIT: Atrides, could you link us to the source code where "pending_timeout" exists?

Yes, that fixed issue.
2Mutovin, you need to compile from source, 9.1.0 has still this bug.

"pending_timeout" was here "bitmonero/external/unbound/services/outside_network.h"
But only as "struct", I thought it was planned to implement in the future.

Are you in charge of Monero Club? Can you share your future vision for it with the community?
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Admin of DwarfPool.com
Doesn't that get fixed in this PR? -> https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/pull/630

EDIT: Atrides, could you link us to the source code where "pending_timeout" exists?

Yes, that fixed issue.
2Mutovin, you need to compile from source, 9.1.0 has still this bug.

"pending_timeout" was here "bitmonero/external/unbound/services/outside_network.h"
But only as "struct", I thought it was planned to implement in the future.

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Currently it's a bug in Monero. Your coins are frozen until it will be fixed.
In source code exist "pending_timeout", but not realized, therefore pending coins are pending forever.

Even with rebuild wallet file and with deleted poolstate, you cannot send your coins.
The daemon gets new poolstate from other daemons (and they have you old transaction, overall) or if daemon try to send forward, get rejects from other nodes.

There's no such thing as pending_timeout, are you thinking of something else?

Transactions fall out of the mempool 24 hours after the local node's receive_time for that tx, the issue is that a handful of these transactions are perpetually stuck because, as you correctly state, you'll receive the transaction again if it's out your mempool and a node rebroadcasts it (there are various conditions under which this can occur).

The larger issue was a bug that allowed valid post-March-fork transactions to enter the mempool in its pre-March-fork state. That has been fixed, and we will put out a point release this week pending one other fix, as discussed in the Monero Dev Meeting this past Sunday.
legendary
I made rescan_spent, xmr were reflected in a purse, was updated till 0-9-1-0, in attempt to send xmr wrote Error: transaction was rejected by daemon with status: Failed, made once again rescan_spent, writes again that on balance these coins aren't present, and in show_transfers there is pending out 113.800000000000 f9e2551e60ec55c0caca725dd07c6e23c48175398387edfc35289f369d2cea08 0000000000000000 0.340000000000 how to return them? or to make that reached the destination?
prompt, please, how to return coins?
Try this
1. Exit simplewallet
2. Make sure your wallet.bin.keys file is securely backed up
3. Delete the wallet.bin file.
4. Exit daemon
5. Remove poolstate.bin file
6. Restart daemon
7. Restart simplewallet.
8. Wait for wallet to rescan (may take some time).
9. Check balance and resend coins
EDIT: Added steps 4-6

Thanks a lot, coins are displayed in a purse now, but I can't send them a purse Error answers: transaction <6643070e524e0fbde6cb6107fe8faacacb18f9ce7f1ea43c15a126fe0c2a4513> was rejected by daemon with status: Failed
demon writes [RPC0] [on_send_raw_tx]: Failed to process tx
prompt, please, as to correct it?

In source code exist "pending_timeout", but not realized, therefore pending coins are pending forever.

Even with rebuild wallet file and with deleted poolstate, you cannot send your coins.
The daemon gets new poolstate from other daemons (and they have you old transaction, overall) or if daemon try to send forward, get rejects from other nodes.

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Admin of DwarfPool.com
I made rescan_spent, xmr were reflected in a purse, was updated till 0-9-1-0, in attempt to send xmr wrote Error: transaction was rejected by daemon with status: Failed, made once again rescan_spent, writes again that on balance these coins aren't present, and in show_transfers there is pending out 113.800000000000 f9e2551e60ec55c0caca725dd07c6e23c48175398387edfc35289f369d2cea08 0000000000000000 0.340000000000 how to return them? or to make that reached the destination?
Try this
1. Exit simplewallet
4. Exit daemon
6. Restart daemon
7. Restart simplewallet.

Thanks a lot, coins are displayed in a purse now, but I can't send them a purse Error answers: transaction <6643070e524e0fbde6cb6107fe8faacacb18f9ce7f1ea43c15a126fe0c2a4513> was rejected by daemon with status: Failed

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1101
karbo.io
aiwe, great job on the graphics! Do you have links to where we can download high-quality versions of each (300-dpi jpg, or .psd)?

I will attach vector images on Trello
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
Try this
1. Exit simplewallet
4. Exit daemon
6. Restart daemon
7. Restart simplewallet.

Activity: 850
aiwe, great job on the graphics! Do you have links to where we can download high-quality versions of each (300-dpi jpg, or .psd)?
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
FYI, cross-posting from: Want to help Monero? We're trying to find a Mozillian that can champion our project to Mozilla.

Hi guys. We've been itching to approach Mozilla to see if we qualify for their Open Source Support program, especially for things like the Kovri I2P router. In order to do that we need a current Mozillian who will apply with us, and will champion to Mozilla for the grant we'd apply for.

We've had a couple of hopefuls that haven't really panned out, they're either not interested in the project or no longer active Mozillians. If you know anyone, or you are a Mozillian, please let us know so we can work together on making Monero better:)

Great idea! Hopefully we can identify someone who can help with this initiative.
Activity: 1873
Merit: 840
Keep what's important, and know who's your friend
Don't know how sincere this guy is, but was just browsing around and saw this post on the bitcoin section of the forum:

I am volunteering at few trade shows involving technology in August & November/December of this year.  One of these trade shows will be in Pennsylvania and another will be in Ohio.  I am looking for someone who is interested in coming out to speak to the public about what Bitcoin/Altcoins are and how they work.  If you would be interested, please post here or message me.  I am looking for only those who are serious and know what they are talking about.  Message me if you have any other questions.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/looking-for-a-very-knowledgable-bitcoinaltcoin-speakers-1349226

Could possibly be a good way to get someone knowledgeable from our community to speak about Monero in relation to Bitcoin to other genuinely interested people if someone is near the area.  
Jump to: