Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 866. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
All I want is a new CLEAN page for just to live!
Anyone guess when monero price will be up again? I was remember 38k-41k monero price on Poloniex at 31.03.2015.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
^ re: chinese translation: I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think its a great idea, but might be a little too early. There's a lot of needed content on getmonero.org. User guides. Developer guides. All empty. if we could arrange for whatever translating service to do future content translations, then by all means go forward. Otherwise, IMO, we'd do better to to create content for the website in english.

And I don't know what 300$ in translating services can get yah.

But who knows. Perhaps just translating whats there now is all we need to get the ball rolling.

A pump to the moon from Asian whales is fine, but what I'd really like to see are contributions, of code and aligned pure crypto research, from outside the Anglosphere.

This may be a pipe dream, given BTC's role model of more-or-less English-only core devs, but in the international spirit of Esperanto, we can hope.
Activity: 337
Merit: 250
It is great to see all these people working together to accomplish a goal. I know it is a great feeling for the developers to reach a point of critical mass.

It does however have a certain level groupthink (non-objectivity) attached to it, and people tend to emotionally marry the investments they feel a teamwork attachment to.

I don't know why I am making this comment. Perhaps I am saying I envy or relish the feeling of being involved in a great team result,  but also those damn black swans. C'est la vie.

Agree 100%, very important ideas here.  But I would like to point out, that you even see this ten fold in the culture around bitcoin.  (to the point of excluding alt coins, and to the point of coming up with 'ideas' for bitcoin, that have already been implemented in alt coins.)

Appreciate your insight.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
It is great to see all these people working together to accomplish a goal. I know it is a great feeling for the developers to reach a point of critical mass.

It does however have a certain level groupthink (non-objectivity) attached to it, and people tend to emotionally marry the investments they feel a teamwork attachment to.

I don't know why I am making this comment. Perhaps I am saying I envy or relish the feeling of being involved in a great team result,  but also those damn black swans. C'est la vie.

You can always add to the mix.  Wink

It's good to have free-thinkers and those who refuse to compromise around. As Delueze pointed out, the fringes become the centers and the former centers become the re-purposed blocks that form the foundation of the coming tower.
Activity: 420
Merit: 262

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
^ re: chinese translation: I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think its a great idea, but might be a little too early. There's a lot of needed content on getmonero.org. User guides. Developer guides. All empty. if we could arrange for whatever translating service to do future content translations, then by all means go forward. Otherwise, IMO, we'd do better to to create content for the website in english.

And I don't know what 300$ in translating services can get yah.

But who knows. Perhaps just translating whats there now is all we need to get the ball rolling.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
also it would be good to have simplewallet translated to chinese.

It does not lend itself to translating at the moment, as there is no i18n (ie, gettext or similar) used for all the strings it outputs. So that would need to be changed first, if translating simplewallet is wanted. And it'd probably pull all the rest of the core code which can send error messages as well.

Agreed, basically speaking, we need the whole Monero environement translated into chinese, with Monero core, simplewallet, getmonero.org, and further documentation.

So i think we have two options
1.) Hiring a chinese translator to do that all at the moment speaking and every 3 months what gets added.
2.) Organize a chinese community and hope they are doing this as long as Monero exists.

Both have their downsides, but in my personal limited opinion, number 1 would be feasible and instant.
What do you guys think?

Let me know your thoughts Ladies and Gentleman!

I pledge 50 XMR for the chinese translation as well, would make 675 XMR so far. Is there anybody willing to organize this?

As soon as someone comes forward willing to translate we can find a trusted escrow and talk with flyffly about how the new language will be integrated in the current website, also it would be good to have simplewallet translated to chinese.

i would hit that. my chinese is quite good.

Sounds good  Cheesy
Can you give us an example of your translation, or has anybody here read a translated script from aminorex?

I pledge 50 XMR for the chinese translation as well, would make 675 XMR so far. Is there anybody willing to organize this?

As soon as someone comes forward willing to translate we can find a trusted escrow and talk with flyffly about how the new language will be integrated in the current website, also it would be good to have simplewallet translated to chinese.

i would hit that. my chinese is quite good.

awesome, I would send the moneroj directly to you.

Let´s use a transparent escrow, i think this is in the interest for all of us  Shocked

@fluffy @smooth @GingerAle

What do you think about translating getmonero.org into traditional chinese?
We already have 675XMR pleged, so this would be an excellent oportunity to approach the chinese market with our beloved XMR  Grin
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Trademark attack?
https://forum.getmonero.org/20/general-discussion/320/monero-is-under-trademark-attack

I think I read about this on reddit or here a week or two ago. Anyone think this is srsbiznss? Just trolling?

Yeah, there really is a BS claim but fluffypony and the team are on top of it, with the help of the EFF and lawyers...

Just go back a page or two in this thread for discussion.

Oic. Seems like BS to me, but good to know it is being looked at seriously...
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
well that's a novel "attack vector"
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
Trademark attack?
https://forum.getmonero.org/20/general-discussion/320/monero-is-under-trademark-attack

I think I read about this on reddit or here a week or two ago. Anyone think this is srsbiznss? Just trolling?

Yeah, there really is a BS claim but fluffypony and the team are on top of it, with the help of the EFF and lawyers...

Just go back a page or two in this thread for discussion.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Trademark attack?

legendary
Activity: 1276
Watch-only wallets can now be created from a standard address and a view key (they were previously created by saving a wallet from an existing full wallet in simplewallet). This makes it much easier to use a view key (ie, the Monero core team publishes their standard address and view key).

it's this one no?
https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commit/dc4dbc1cebc51e2567572c33571f943c0e30cc38

i was very confused by the description when i saw it Cheesy

but one day i will really learn how this all works lol Grin

thanks for all your contributions! love the web wallet too

That's the one, and you're welcome Smiley

Smooth I agree complexity is the killer. One way to decrease complexity is separation-of-concerns.

This is really the one high level thing that helps a lot. Now always super easy to do, but it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Smooth I agree complexity is the killer. One way to decrease complexity is separation-of-concerns. The base coin protocol should for example be as orthogonal as possible to the wallets. Ideally even the base coin protocol would be nearly orthogonal modules, such as:

* consensus subsystem
* transaction subsystem (drop in CN, CCT, or what have you, even use more than one at the same time)
* SPV client-server subsystem

Oh shit, I am sharing my design.

Backdoors can be minimized with clear semantic code, strongly typed language, detailed comments, and minimal code. Cryptographic critical paths should especially be documented line-by-line.

Such nirvana is easy to write down as a goal and hard-to-do.

Any way, I think code shouldn't be so boring. Should interest people just to study it for its elegance and semantic terseness. If I get bored with pedantic minutia reading code, I am usually gone. So that pretty much eliminates C as a language choice for me. After 5 MB of C and 68000 assembly source code I wrote in the 1980s, I think I had my lifetime's fill of that crap already.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
What if you "disappeared" and because of that the other 6 "retire" or "lose interest" and turn over control to "Gavinmike".

Then someone else can fork the repo and take over. If no one cares enough to do that, then it doesn't really matter does it?

If you are asking for some sort of ironclad guarantee of no potential failure modes of an asset with potential million-to-one returns in the event of meaningful success then you don't really understand economics, and I don't think that is the case. I guess you are just pointing out possible failure modes for others, which is fair game.

I was cracking a joke but at the same time saying if the ideological devs could be scared away and replaced by G-MEN pretending to be ideological, similar what is sometimes alleged against Gavin and Mike Hearn.

Ideally you don't need any more core devs and the coin is done. But I realize that is probably unrealistic.

I think its fair that eventually something like a coin could actually be "done". It really doesn't need to be a very complex piece of software to do what it needs to do. I also think this largely blunts the FUD that is often stated about open source not being secure against back doors because of the example of openssl. But openssl is an enormous piece of code that is made more so by the need to support complex externally-defined (possibly attacker-defined) standards and compatibility with many other implementations including broken ones. A coin doesn't need to do any of that, making it possible for the code to be both relatively small and far more transparent.

This does not remove the possibility of deep back doors like the compiler bootstrapping issue.
What if you "disappeared" and because of that the other 6 "retire" or "lose interest" and turn over control to "Gavinmike".

Then someone else can fork the repo and take over. If no one cares enough to do that, then it doesn't really matter does it?

If you are asking for some sort of ironclad guarantee of no potential failure modes of an asset with potential million-to-one returns in the event of meaningful success then you don't really understand economics, and I don't think that is the case. I guess you are just pointing out possible failure modes for others, which is fair game.

I was cracking a joke but at the same time saying if the ideological devs could be scared away and replaced by G-MEN pretending to be ideological, similar what is sometimes alleged against Gavin and Mike Hearn.

Ideally you don't need any more core devs and the coin is done. But I realize that is probably unrealistic.
Activity: 453
Merit: 500
hello world
Watch-only wallets can now be created from a standard address and a view key (they were previously created by saving a wallet from an existing full wallet in simplewallet). This makes it much easier to use a view key (ie, the Monero core team publishes their standard address and view key).

it's this one no?
https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commit/dc4dbc1cebc51e2567572c33571f943c0e30cc38

i was very confused by the description when i saw it Cheesy

but one day i will really learn how this all works lol Grin

thanks for all your contributions! love the web wallet too
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

legendary
Activity: 1276
Here's a less technical overview of what's been pushed to Monero. Since I'm starting, I'll just do the first history page from github, which covers about a month: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commits/master

There's been a fix for EOF (end of file) input, over several pull requests, which allows simplewallet and bitmonerod to exit normally when ^D is pressed. This may seem esoteric to Windows users, but it's a common way to end input on Linux, and it was bugging me that when I did that, simplewallet went into an infinite loop failing to read, and I had to ^C it. So that's now fixed.

Next, we've got a fix to a socket (network connection) count. As far as I can tell, there is no real user level fix here, it was just an informative count, and the counter wasn't properly maintained when a connection was closed. If nothing else, it should be less confusing now when debugging this code.

Watch-only wallets were previously saved using the same password as the original wallet. This is now changed, so an independent password can be used. This is useful if you're going to send that watch-only wallet file to someone else: they won't get your main wallet's password.

Integrated addresses allow the merging of a standard address with a payment ID in a single serialized larger address. It's using base58 with checksum as well. This allows someone to give a standard address + payment ID pair with a single user string, which may hopefully mean easier integration in existing processes. There are RPC commands as well to manipulate those so exchanges/services can use them in scripts.
There will be an update to that soon (hopefully) which will allow these payment IDs to be optionally encrypted on the blockchain as well - currently, they're in cleartext.

A bug in the checkpoint loading from DNS got squashed. It wasn't correctly walking the list of DNS servers to compare their results and look for matching records, to mitigate corrupt/malicious data being received from a minority of them.

Transaction splitting (when you send some amount, but the list of inputs is too large to fit in a single transaction) now handles much larger splits, and will split very large transfers a lot quicker. Instead of trying to split in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc transactions, it will use an exponential curve, so when at first it doesn't succeed, it starts taking larger steps. Reasonably sized transfers that fit in 3 transactions or less will still take as little as possible.

Seed related commands (or some of them) are now disabled for watch-only wallets, where they don't make much sense.

DNS results could previously ignore the fact that a result came from a server without cryptographic assurance of non tampering. This was changed so that crypto proofs of results is required. I'm not 100% sure what kinds of failures were being disregarded here.

Non ASCII mnemonic seeds were mishandled in simplewallet, which would mean a seed generated from the offline wallet generator would fail to restore in simplewallet. This was fixed, and non English languages could then be enabled in the generator.

And that's it for last month.

legendary
Activity: 1154
@fluffy @smooth & co,

The pools section in the OP would do well with a wee bit of house keeping.
I've checked each pool link to find the following:

http://backup-pool.com/monero/  <- dead link
http://monero.backup-pool.com/  <- current link

http://pool.cryptoescrow.eu/   <- dead link, pool closed

http://monero.coolmining.club/  <- pool closed

Cryptonotepool.uk is listed as donating 0% of their fees, which I understand is not the case.
I think there are also new pools to be added, though I don't have the necessary info.

Cheers!
Activity: 212
Merit: 100
Hi there i have xmrchat.com and monerochat.com for sale
pm me your offer
Jump to: