Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 869. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
If you can have intelligent questions, you can have stupid questions. Back on topic, wonderlic's already sidetracked this thread enough.

I was always taught there are no stupid questions. what's a wonderlic anyway?
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud

BTW Asking "stupid" questions is not evidence of stupidity. Not asking questions is.

you bolded this, so it was extra important presumably.

It seems, from the language you chose, you accept the presupposition that you are/were asking stupid questions.

Customer asks clerk, "I have a coupon for 25% off a hundred dollar purchase. How many dollars does that come to?"

I would say asking stupid questions is sometimes evidence of stupidity and not asking questions can mean you already have an answer or are willing to work it out on your own or are timid, none of which are stupidity. I'm almost tempted to take you off ignore to see what other words of high-school teacher wisdom you have for us.

This is actually not a stupid question because one has to take the newspeak of marketing into account. The correct answer would be along the lines of 24.99 less applicable handling fees and taxes.

Depends where you live, but when I was asked this question,  I was teen working in Pennsylvania at a clothing store where there is no tax on clothing and there wouldn't be a handling fee. The point is to put it in the context of when it would be dumb to ask this; one time invalidates the argument that there are no dumb questions.

But maybe we should get really dumb with it, "If a monkey ate enough beans could he fart his way to heaven and beat up a time traveling Tom Cruise before he ascends the nth level of Scientology and has sex with all our moms?  

Or "Mr Officer, is all right if I take your gun, shoot you and then go on a shooting rampage at the local mall?"

Or just before the prosecution is about to close a slipshod case with no chance of winning, "Your honor, if you found all the money I'm accused of embezzling at 152 North Frampton St. in an 85' red buick with my murdered business associate, 12 kilos of coke, 500 pounds of explosives and detailed instructions to blow up a children's hospital, could I still get my parking validated?"

If you can have intelligent questions, you can have stupid questions. Back on topic, wonderlic's already sidetracked this thread enough.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

explain - which format?

1. original missive
2. my digests
3. podcasts with brief summary at beginning

The original missives. Your digests are very good as well. If it is not convenient or circumstance/environment doesn't permit listening to the audio, then it is terribly painful to read the transcription. Not that the transcription is done badly but the non-formal, conversational flow is just a terrible format to consume via text. Also, there is no distillation of the information. Some people may enjoy the conversational tone, but it is mostly just fluff to me. I could take 2 minutes to grab the important parts in the original missive format. It is not possible in this current way, whether the audio or transcription, to skim through for the pertinent data.

agreed, I get it. No ones stopping nobody from making original-style missives from the podcast. The podcast had 2 goals - 1. make more digestable for most (i think this is a silent majority) and 2) free up fluffypony from doing most of the work for the missive.

indeed, if you recall, the first podcast had mixed reviews, and someone actually offered a bounty for someone to create a digest / summary of it. So there's that. i think it was good ol' stslimited. Where's he been? U lurkin?
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

BTW Asking "stupid" questions is not evidence of stupidity. Not asking questions is.

It seems, from the language you chose, you accept the presupposition that you are/were asking stupid questions.

Customer asks clerk, "I have a coupon for 25% off a hundred dollar purchase. How many dollars does that come to?"

I would say asking stupid questions is sometimes evidence of stupidity and not asking questions can mean you already have an answer or are willing to work it out on your own or are timid, none of which are stupidity. I'm almost tempted to take you off ignore to see what other words of high-school teacher wisdom you have for us.

This is actually not a stupid question because one has to take the newspeak of marketing into account. The correct answer would be along the lines of 24.99 less applicable handling fees and taxes.
legendary

explain - which format?

1. original missive
2. my digests
3. podcasts with brief summary at beginning
Activity: 453
Merit: 500
hello world
thank you for this missives!! it was really time  Smiley
glad you had a good time in europa Cool
legendary
https://youtu.be/WnWLSy36pQA

how to run huge memory version of Monero on Windows as a scheduled task, so it doesn't interfere with your daily activities, but you can still keep your node up to date.

could also be interpreted as Gingeropolous's Super-Hacky Smart mining, because you can make the task scheduler run bitmonerod.exe with --start-mining flags.
Activity: 225
Merit: 100

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_such_thing_as_a_stupid_question

" '(There's) no such thing as a stupid question' is a popular phrase that has had a long history. It suggests that the quest for knowledge includes failure, and that just because one person may know less than others they should not be afraid to ask rather than pretend they already know. In many cases multiple people may not know but are too afraid to ask the "stupid question"; the one who asks the question may in fact be doing a service to those around them.

Carl Sagan, in his work The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark said: "There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question"

A woman, recounting a story about an old man who used to answer all her "stupid questions", explained "Chica, if you ask a question it makes you look stupid for 5 minutes - but if you don't ask - you stay stupid for fifty years, so always ask questions in your life". "
legendary

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
who am i fooling? no way i have the time for a translation ask until my day job stuff takes a breather. 'twas a fallacious conceit to consider.
legendary
As for the latter I have no idea so would also include the ? you did.

question mark

noun

Also called interrogation point, interrogation mark. a mark indicating a question: usually, as in English, the mark (?) placed after a question.

Because I was asking generalizethis if that was the correct tl;dr.

@ Fluffy-- Yes, that would be the correct TL;DR.  Wink

And look at this:

-troll (n.2)
"act of going round, repetition," 1705, from troll (v.). Meaning "song sung in a round" is from 1820.

-troll (n.1)
supernatural being in Scandinavian mythology and folklore, 1610s (with an isolated use mid-14c.), from Old Norse troll "giant being not of the human race, evil spirit, monster." Some speculate that it originally meant "creature that walks and talks clumsily," and derives from Proto-Germanic *truzlan, from *truzlanan (see troll (v.)). But it seems to have been a general supernatural word, such as Swedish trolla "to charm, bewitch;" Old Norse trolldomr "witchcraft."

The old sagas tell of the troll-bull, a supernatural being in the form of a bull, as well as boar-trolls. There were troll-maidens, troll-wives, and troll-women; the trollman, a magician or wizard, and the troll-drum, used in Lappish magic rites. The word was popularized in literary English by 19c. antiquarians, but it has been current in the Shetlands and Orkneys since Viking times. The first record of the word in modern English is from a court document from the Shetlands, regarding a certain Catherine, who, among other things, was accused of "airt and pairt of witchcraft and sorcerie, in hanting and seeing the Trollis ryse out of the kyrk yeard of Hildiswick."

Originally conceived as a race of malevolent giants, they have suffered the same fate as the Celtic Danann and by 19c. were regarded by peasants in in Denmark and Sweden as dwarfs and imps supposed to live in caves or under the ground (in their parents basement).
They are obliging and neighbourly; freely lending and borrowing, and elsewise keeping up a friendly intercourse with mankind. But they have a sad propensity to thieving, not only stealing provisions, but even Monero threads. [Thomas Keightley, "The Fairy Mythology," London, 1850]
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
lol lawlz lolololololololololoo so much funny biznissss so funnee wow much jokez lol.lolololololo

Yes, that's why a project is kept open source, whether the project in question is Monero or what-the-phack-ever.

To prevent the use of "backdoors" etc and malicious code in general. Transparency.

Do I really have to explain EVERYTHING to you like you're five?

Are you five?

I assumed you were referring to future arrests/interventions (as I did). And who would undertake to maintain a life-threatening Git repo? Few.

I agree open-sourcing is about transparency. Still - that hasn't helped OpenSSL fast enough…

Asking trolling questions is evidence of trolling.

Ahhh... wanderlust the inquisitive gentle troll(tm).
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
MoneroWallet.com is coming soon (details in this reddit post) http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3axapc/androidios_client_side_web_client_coming_soon/

MoneroWallet.com is nearly ready to be released. We have a fully functioning POC, and just are making CSS and HTML changes before release.

We are in need of a logo and are running a contest - 25 XMR to the chosen design.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Also I didn't mean I'd willingly disappear, I meant I'd *be* "disappeared" by forces unknown:)

That's how I read it. Altho one might be willing to cease development rather than visit gitmo.
And presumably a dead man's switch ready-to-go? Man… the future sucks.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Nice reply. Sufficed to say your "cooperation" would not go so far as to backdoor anything or use libs you otherwise would not have, correct?

While perhaps "we have to pragmatically recognise that the "status quo" is going to stay as it is for the foreseeable future in most countries" my concern is that things might become considerably worse, and quickly. In other words you might be be doing more listening than talking.

Don't disappear yet, we hardly know ye. On second thought, run for the hills!

Absolutely, any "assistance" would naturally be limited to what is actually achievable by blockchain / data analysis of Monero transactions (practically nothing). In fact, going down the road of trying to assist them would be an excellent education in-and-of-itself, so that's good:)

Also I didn't mean I'd willingly disappear, I meant I'd *be* "disappeared" by forces unknown:)
legendary
lol lawlz lolololololololololoo so much funny biznissss so funnee wow much jokez lol.lolololololo

Yes, that's why a project is kept open source, whether the project in question is Monero or what-the-phack-ever.

To prevent the use of "backdoors" etc and malicious code in general. Transparency.

Do I really have to explain EVERYTHING to you like you're five?

Are you five?

Do you mean there can be no backdoors in open source programs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9L5zbaQML0

there are front doors, and there are revolving doors
doors on rudders of big ships
and there are revolving doors
there are doors that open by themselves
there are sliding doors, and there are secret doors
there are doors that lock
and doors that don't
there are doors that let you in
and then, there are those - that naturally - that you can't come back from
Do you mean there can be no backdoors in open source programs?

I mean that if there is, it is likely to be found when reviewed by benevolent people.

Do you think a hypothetical backdoor is less likely to be found in open source than closed source?

Well, OpenSSL does not have malicious code, it just has had weaknesses that have been exploited.  

Sure, open source code is supposed to be less prone to these exploits, due to much review, but I think it typically holds true that open source software is more robust and resilient to exploits than closed source software.

Now you're the one with his back-to-the-door, so to speak. As I said before my point has more to do with the ramifications of developing crypto tech to the individual(s) developing it.
Jump to: