Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 892. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Hey guys, I was asking about making Paper Wallets for Monero a page or so back. I only have like 50 Monero coins, which I know is not much, but I want to stash them away safely and just try and forget about them until I check back in on what they're worth in the future. Don't want to be tempted to spend/sell them if I need some BTC for a purchase.

A few people pointed out MyMonero.com as a good web wallet. In your opinion, can the site be trusted to hold my Monero funds securely for a while? And is that the user fluffypony's project?

You should never trust any web wallet regardless of who is developing it. Just like you should never trust any exchanges with your funds. The largest theft of coins originated from compromised online web wallets (blockchain.info), exchanges (Gox/Mintpal) and marketplaces (countless). Trust yourself and your own system and never take advice from anywhere who says otherwise.

The biggest problem with XMR paper wallets right now is the lack of an easy way to use the view key to verify a balance.

For example if someone sends XMR to your cold wallet how can you verify that transfer? You cant unless you run the daemon and turn the "cold wallet" into a hot wallet.

Finding a way to make the view key function work for users should be a top priority. Until then cold wallets are only good if YOU are the one who send the XMR to the cold wallet (from a hot wallet under your control).

If I am wrong and there is a way to use the view key to verify payments send to a cold storage address please correct me.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
Monero=money what do this coin now?
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
Hey guys, I was asking about making Paper Wallets for Monero a page or so back. I only have like 50 Monero coins, which I know is not much, but I want to stash them away safely and just try and forget about them until I check back in on what they're worth in the future. Don't want to be tempted to spend/sell them if I need some BTC for a purchase.

A few people pointed out MyMonero.com as a good web wallet. In your opinion, can the site be trusted to hold my Monero funds securely for a while? And is that the user fluffypony's project?

You should never trust any web wallet regardless of who is developing it. Just like you should never trust any exchanges with your funds. The largest theft of coins originated from compromised online web wallets (blockchain.info), exchanges (Gox/Mintpal) and marketplaces (countless). Trust yourself and your own system and never take advice from anywhere who says otherwise.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
Well I just tried 2 different times to create an account/wallet on MyMonero.com and got "server error" each time after tediously writing down the mnemonics each time. I was on the latest version of the Tor browser bundle if this makes a difference.

Tor is not 100% safe. There was cases of people getting their wallet stolen using blockchain.info through Tor because of corrupted Tor-nodes.
I don't know if theses flaws has been addressed today but I would be careful.
You better use a VPN.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Well I just tried 2 different times to create an account/wallet on MyMonero.com and got "server error" each time after tediously writing down the mnemonics each time. I was on the latest version of the Tor browser bundle if this makes a difference.

dude, just download the binaries, run simplewallet, get the seed there.

http://getmonero.org/downloads/

no blockchain necessary

Activity: 910
Merit: 530
$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
Does somebody likes to play agar.io from time to time?
I had a nice advertisement up for about 20 minutes Wink

Bump because it is an awesome idea.
agar.io have a huge traffic and allow us to advertise about Monero while having some fun.
legendary

Or follow this:

https://forum.getmonero.org/5/support/308/cold-wallet-instructions

it says cold wallet, but its really paper wallet. Its cold paper.
Activity: 768
Merit: 505

Yes and yes. Also AFAIK you get some 13 word mnemonic seed , which should enable you later to create also a real wallet with the ?23? word seed if needed to and in case the site goes down.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502

Yes and Yes.
Activity: 910
Merit: 530
$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
OpenBazaar Receives $1 Million in Funding from Andreessen Horowitz and Others
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/39fud6/openbazaar_receives_1_million_in_funding_from/

Awesome news!! We should donate moar xmr to our friend Atrides, hes working hard on Freebazaar - Openbazaar fork /s
https://github.com/freebazaar?tab=activity

Yeah, OpenFreebazaar appears to be a scam at this point (whether originally intended to be or not).

You mean FreeBazaar?

I doubt OpenBazaar is a scam, with it having just received 1 million dollars.

Oopsie!
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/39fud6/openbazaar_receives_1_million_in_funding_from/

Awesome news!! We should donate moar xmr to our friend Atrides, hes working hard on Freebazaar - Openbazaar fork /s

Yeah, Openbazaar appears to be a scam at this point (whether originally intended to be or not).

You mean FreeBazaar?

I doubt OpenBazaar is a scam, with it having just received 1 million dollars.

Activity: 453
Merit: 500
hello world
Ah, 1000 was it? Might as well give it a shot. Predictably it crashed again in the same place with size 10000..

yes, give it a try, it worked very well for me, but first i had all the same problems like you have now.

remember: this is not an official release! use it very carefully therefore.
i would only do small transactions with it, better save than sorry
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
There is a clear case of intent here.

I just wish "a clear case of intent" would be all that's needed to put the lying illuminatis, banksters, politicians and media behind the bars as well...

Hear hear!
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
Where is our overweight developer ? I haven't seen him post in a while..

chattin to him right now recording a missive. what're you doin?

I'm mining moneritos, I keep the network secure for you guys, yep, you're welcome..

We don't need your botnet.
legendary
Activity: 1105

Yeah, OpenFreebazaar appears to be a scam at this point (whether originally intended to be or not).
legendary
Activity: 1092

legendary
Where is our overweight developer ? I haven't seen him post in a while..

chattin to him right now recording a missive. what're you doin?

I'm mining moneritos, I keep the network secure for you guys, yep, you're welcome..

awesome! Me too. Need some more GPUs..... thankfully my new place has a basement!
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
There is a clear case of intent here.

I just wish "a clear case of intent" would be all that's needed to put the lying illuminatis, banksters, politicians and media behind the bars as well...
Jump to: