Pages:
Author

Topic: XMR vs DRK - page 18. (Read 69755 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
eidoo wallet
March 30, 2015, 07:50:24 AM
Then there's "instant transactions", which as others showed was taken from Green Addresses, a system already available with Bitcoin.

If you read what GreenAddress actually is, you will see they are not at all the same. It can never be used from personal wallets, as the recipient has to trust the previously published sending address not to double spend.

This is just one more misunderstanding on what Darkcoin/DASH is in addition to uniform denominations, change handling, and whether masternodes actually send and receive coins.

Wait, what does Dash do again? Oh yea, I have to rely on others to setup masternodes in order to even use the "anonymity" in the first place. I also have to trust that all the masternodes are not compromised since most of them are hosted on centralized servers online, as there's still a chance of deanonymizing a transaction. Yippee.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
March 30, 2015, 05:53:42 AM
Darkcoin foundation is threatening to kill people - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/warning-dont-ever-talk-badly-about-darkcoin-dash-the-darkcoin-foundation-1006273

How are we still talking to these low lifes?

they sold their houses and gamble them on crypto?  Grin
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
March 30, 2015, 05:47:44 AM
...At this stage there are a series of major flaws that remain untouched because of ...

Can you elaborate on these major flaws?

How do you cryptographically proof you made a payment if it has been send through darksend?

You can sign a message from the address(es) where you sent.

Or add a message/guid in the transaction.

Or the merchant could create unique receive address for each customer/transaction.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
March 30, 2015, 05:28:14 AM
A few interesting posts overnight. Something from andytoshi caught my eye:

Quote from: andytoshi
"I'm not entirely clear on what masternodes do these days, but I infer that their actions affect users' privacy, i.e. they are "confining and constraining" information. This is a cryptographic function too. Human decisions may factor into their behaviour, but they are still performing a cryptographic function; human involvement does not change this, only changes the failure modes."

This is an interesting statement and really gets to the heart of the debate.

The mixing provided by masternodes, if working as intended, is a form of one-way encryption. The process does indeed 'confine and constrain' information; information about relationships between address balances. The critical questions are around the efficacy, efficiency, permenancy and vulnerability of this process.

Efficacy: I see no reasonable argument that shows the mixing process does not produce the required result. Address balances are effectively rotated through addresses resulting in no traceable association between two given addresses.

Efficiency: The mixing process can take a while and the user experience in the wallet is not perfect, so there is room for improvement here.

Permanency: If we assume that private keys are safe then the off-chain nature of the mixing provides a permanent 'encryption' of balance movement through the public blockchain.

Vulnerability: This, it seems, is the most critical point and the subject of intense debate on this thread. Almost the entire technical argument against DASH concerns percieved fragility and centralisation of the Masternode network. Yet still, no opponent has demonstrated how any realistic adversary could hope to compromise the network, or indeed define/quantify 'compromised'.

What I see is a trade-off between utility and vulnerability. The MN network provides a two-tier architecture enabling diverse services to be developed on top of a traditional PoW cryptocurrency. Today we have the mixing service & instant transactions. Future features may include two-factor authentication, decentralised web wallets and who knows what else. It's this utility and native feature set that elevates DASH and has the potential to drive adoption. If the platform that enables these features creates vulnerabilities, then the question really is whether these vulnerabilities are realistically exploitable, by whom and for what?

So in the trade-off between utility and vulnerability there is a tipping point which defines whether DASH is fit-for-purpose. I don't see any reason why DASH is at, or anywhere near, that tipping point.

Meanwhile my technical questions remain unanswered Smiley

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10924115
March 30, 2015, 05:08:08 AM
Then there's "instant transactions", which as others showed was taken from Green Addresses, a system already available with Bitcoin.

If you read what GreenAddress actually is, you will see they are not at all the same. It can never be used from personal wallets, as the recipient has to trust the previously published sending address not to double spend.

This is just one more misunderstanding on what Darkcoin/DASH is in addition to uniform denominations, change handling, and whether masternodes actually send and receive coins.
March 30, 2015, 05:06:56 AM
Unfortunately Dash has the same fungibility problems no matter how much they try and hide it

How does it? I really want to know but nobody will tell me  Sad  Cheesy

Because if someone identifies outputs I own as being tainted then they can be blocked by merchants or exchanges or whatever.

"But you can just Darksend them!" is the reaction I have seen. Except that in Bitcoin you can send them to yourself and boom - new outputs. Does that make Bitcoin magically fungible? Or what if I mix the outputs using BitcoinFog, does that make Bitcoin perfectly fungible?

Fungibility is destroyed the minute you can trace transactions through the blockchain, it doesn't matter how you mix them and who is involved. Otherwise just use Bitcoin and send the funds back to yourself if they're tainted, no Dash needed!

I don't know how good BitcoinFog's mixing is, or how big their anonymity set is. But the main difference is, that it requires trust. One day when their anonymous admin runs into financial problems and looks at the Fog's wallet and sees a couple of thousand bitcoins in there, well, I wouldn't want to be mixing on that day. And you'll need to keep track of your change, basically you can't spend a change anymore until it's mixed again. And you better not send multiple changes in one transaction to the Fog as it will tie the two changes and hence the two transactions you made together. It's very easy to do a mistake like that. DRK/DASH wallet on the other hand will take care of this.
Activity: 826
March 30, 2015, 01:10:24 AM

There was a study on why doesn't selfish behavior pervade society if selfish behavior has the most benefits--they used bats as one study group. Bats share food with neighbor bats when they find a food source. The scientist fed certain bats, but did not let them share the food to see how the group would behave. The group reacted by not sharing food with the "selfish" bats. And while I feel sorry for the bats in the study because they were ostracized by the scientist's actions and not their own--i don't feel sorry for when it happens to humans. The larger your stake in Monero, the more it makes sense to give back towards the success of the project. Even Nash is on record that game theory is lacking when talking about human interactions. Probably being institutionalized gave him the insight that not all human actions are rational or can fit into the context of game theory.

Meh, I'm selfish. You guys can donate, and I'll get the benefits of those donations if XMR ends up succeeding. If I did donate, I'd only donate directly to Fluffypony, as he's the only one on the XMR team that I like Cheesy
Activity: 392
Merit: 255
March 30, 2015, 12:45:15 AM
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
March 30, 2015, 12:21:15 AM
https://getmonero.org/knowledge-base/people --more devs than you can shake an angry troll stick at, and they're volunteers not paid by an instamine, but go on trying to sell your concern pericope like a two bit trial lawyer. Also, if they believe x-dark-dash is a fraud, they have every right, and I applaud them for it, to call it so. Your concern trolling is very appreciated--you obviously put a lot of time and effort into it.
Buddy, I have more XMR than you, I guran-fucking-tee it. And I'm actively bringing new investors in, so please stfu about concern trolling. It's true that I have Dash as well, but my only concern is to see the development of the best technology. I just think that devs should be coding, not arguing with idiots on a forum.

Unless you are certain how much XMR he has, how can you guarantee it? ...

It would be easier if XMR wasn't so gosh-darned anonymous Tongue

Didnt you see the Monero RichList?

http://moneroblocks.eu/richlist
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
March 30, 2015, 12:14:21 AM
https://getmonero.org/knowledge-base/people --more devs than you can shake an angry troll stick at, and they're volunteers not paid by an instamine, but go on trying to sell your concern pericope like a two bit trial lawyer. Also, if they believe x-dark-dash is a fraud, they have every right, and I applaud them for it, to call it so. Your concern trolling is very appreciated--you obviously put a lot of time and effort into it.
Buddy, I have more XMR than you, I guran-fucking-tee it. And I'm actively bringing new investors in, so please stfu about concern trolling. It's true that I have Dash as well, but my only concern is to see the development of the best technology. I just think that devs should be coding, not arguing with idiots on a forum.

Unless you are certain how much XMR he has, how can you guarantee it? ...

It would be easier if XMR wasn't so gosh-darned anonymous Tongue
legendary
March 29, 2015, 11:39:46 PM
^ Priceless. Even XMR has got retards amongst its community.

We have to have at least one, for diversity and all that.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
March 29, 2015, 11:38:46 PM

Then donate some of the xmr to the devs or learn to code. Criticizing the devs is doing what? You think they're all beholden to your opinion? Like your a shareholder? They are volunteers! With lives! Opinions! And have every right to do what they want they aren't working on the project. Fluffy alone has donated over $300K in manpower hours to Monero. Have you donated a single hour?

I can still gain all the benefits, even if I choose not to share.

There was a study on why doesn't selfish behavior pervade society if selfish behavior has the most benefits--they used bats as one study group. Bats share food with neighbor bats when they find a food source. The scientist fed certain bats, but did not let them share the food to see how the group would behave. The group reacted by not sharing food with the "selfish" bats. And while I feel sorry for the bats in the study because they were ostracized by the scientist's actions and not their own--i don't feel sorry for when it happens to humans. The larger your stake in Monero, the more it makes sense to give back towards the success of the project. Even Nash is on record that game theory is lacking when talking about human interactions. Probably being institutionalized gave him the insight that not all human actions are rational or can fit into the context of game theory.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
March 29, 2015, 11:37:56 PM

Then donate some of the xmr to the devs or learn to code. Criticizing the devs is doing what? You think they're all beholden to your opinion? Like your a shareholder? They are volunteers! With lives! Opinions! And have every right to do what they want they aren't working on the project. Fluffy alone has donated over $300K in manpower hours to Monero. Have you donated a single hour?

Can I please see a citation, if this is information he chose to make public? The one summer undergraduate accounting class part of me is curious as to how it was calculated.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
March 29, 2015, 11:35:51 PM
^ Priceless. Even XMR has got retards amongst its community.
Activity: 532
March 29, 2015, 11:32:33 PM

Nah you aren't a Bat, just a full blown retard Darkcoiner.
March 29, 2015, 11:27:26 PM

legendary
March 29, 2015, 11:07:40 PM

Unless you are certain how much XMR he has, how can you guarantee it? Statements like these are used much too frequently without the evidence/knowledge to back them up imo. You would have appeared more educated had you simply stated that you own a lot of xx and are actively "bringing new investors in".

Maybe Brilliantrocket has more than half of all the XMR?

Is it true?
March 29, 2015, 11:06:24 PM
... I guran-fucking-tee it. ..............

Its confirmed.
Look at my post history and confirm when I got involved with Darkcoin  Wink I got my coins at a rate of around 5000 per BTC  Grin And I believe in diversification.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
March 29, 2015, 11:05:36 PM

Unless you are certain how much XMR he has, how can you guarantee it? Statements like these are used much too frequently without the evidence/knowledge to back them up imo. You would have appeared more educated had you simply stated that you own a lot of xx and are actively "bringing new investors in".

Maybe Brilliantrocket has more than half of all the XMR?
legendary
Activity: 1260
World Class Cryptonaire
March 29, 2015, 11:05:06 PM

Pages:
Jump to: