Pages:
Author

Topic: XMR vs DRK - page 14. (Read 69755 times)

Activity: 644
Merit: 502
March 30, 2015, 06:02:03 PM

What huge failures in basic security are you referring to?

All the ones pointed out by everyone who has pointed them out.

If I did actually redundantly reiterate the many flaws here by pointing them all out AGAIN, you dashers would just say "nugh-ugh!"

And we would start yet another revolution around the circle this thread has been going in from the beginning.

So to you guys, a "cold wallet" is one that is "cold" when you want it to be and "hot" when you want it to be. Lukewarm wallet? Tepid wallet?

EDIT: OK, I get it. Even a "cold" wallet has to be brought "online" at some point, in order to transfer funds.  So, it is a rather ambiguous term.
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
March 30, 2015, 05:59:27 PM
- Nobody has answered the question about DRK fungibility

Actually, I commented on it myself upthread. A large amount of transparency reduces the anonymity set and thus reduces fungibility. Coins must be cryptographically identical to be fungible. Otherwise you will eventually run into issues where coins without some degree of taint could be considered suspicious. Here's the quote:

[snip]

You can't have fungibility and transparency at the same time. Sorry. All units have to be cryptographically indistinguishable, and having a large amount of transparency in the ledger only serves to reduce the anonymity set (and reduce the fungibility as a result).

Monero is currently the most fungible crypto in existence. Maybe some day if zerocash works out it's kinks it will take monero's place. Darkcoin isn't a contender in that regard (though it's privacy tech can be debated).

Next:

- Nobody has answered the question about Masternodes being 'compromised' by anyone other than NSA

You are asking questions that (you know) nobody has an answer to. "Assuming the NSA has enough resources to bring down drk/dash, how much money/resources would someone else need?" Nobody knows, which is why you should stick with the best freakin tech available (ie. not dash).

Also, a lot of us (perhaps not you) are interested in monetary privacy for the specific reason that we don't want NSA-level organizations spying on everything we do. Your "anyone other than NSA" question is pointless to those of us in that category, because they are exactly the type of adversaries we're concerned about. Sure, all crypto projects are vulnerable at this point, but some have a much more "optimistic" future than others.

This should also answer your "fit-for-purpose" question. You still haven't defined exactly what "fit-for-purpose" means, but the answer is unquantifiable regardless. If you're willing to trust an inferior solution that you think is "good enough" (while being full aware of all the other shady practices surrounding this project), then there's really nothing more we can do to convince you otherwise.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
March 30, 2015, 05:57:48 PM

The standard for fintech security is 'mathematically proven,' not "the code has been reviewed once."

Ah so it's "fintech security" now not "fintech". Nice little mod there.

I'd love to know your fintech credentials...

My "credentials" are sufficient to know "the code has been reviewed once" isn't the standard for anything except failures like Darkcoin.

'Mathematically proven' security is an important part of fintech.  That's why Bitcoin exists.  You must be new.

*CLICK*

Date Registered:    May 26, 2014

Yep, I figured.  You are so noob to the topics here you think 'mathematically proven' means 'perfect.'

*PLONK*
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
March 30, 2015, 05:48:00 PM
There is a key in the config file that identifies the node so you can start it remotely from the cold wallet.

You obviously don't know what a cold wallet is.

A cold wallet is one in which the private keys are NOT stored on a machine with ANY access to or from ANY other machine at all.

So, it is therefore IMPOSSIBLE to "start (a node) remotely from (a) cold wallet."

It is huge failures in basic security concepts that make the D-coin akin to a mirage, and almost like a Trojan Horse, in my opinion.

If you compromize the server running the daemon and get access to the MN private key  you still won't be able to touch the 1k deposit.
MN priv keys have nothing to do with addresses private keys.
What huge failures in basic security are you referring to?
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
March 30, 2015, 05:47:13 PM

The standard for fintech security is 'mathematically proven,' not "the code has been reviewed once."

Ah so it's "fintech security" now not "fintech". Nice little mod there.

I'd love to know your fintech credentials...
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
March 30, 2015, 05:47:03 PM
Masternode for anonymity is a bad idea, that's why Drk re-branded itself as Dash and continued to add "additional services" because it makes not sense from a purely anonymous standpoint.

Masternode is the equivalent of the "miner" but instead to provide "anonymity". It gets compensated for doing this "work" just like a miner get rewarded to do its work.

But that was before the invention of better anonymous technology such as those used in Monero. In Monero, you get anonymity for free*, basically baked into the protocol. But with Drk, you have to pay Masternodes for such "services" and you get an inferior version.

That's like still riding a horse when we have invented the car. Why would you do it?

That's why Drk needs to re-brand beyond the "anonymous" label because it's charging people to do inferior work.

Second point is the comparison between the Miner and the Masternode.

The miner does work to secure the blockchain but the work that has already been done cannot be used to corrupt the blockchain, meaning that in order to change history, new work has to be done.

But with the Masternode, the work that has been done is providing anonymity can in fact be used to unwind that very same anonymity. It's almost like a "Proof Of Stake equivalent" but in the anonymous dimension, where some staking in the past can somehow be used in the future but in this case providing anonymity in the past can be used to unwind in the future. This itself may not be a bad thing but what make it really bad is that it's a third party, so where you rely on other miners to secure the blockchain but this work cannot be undone, with Masternode, you rely on other nodes to provide anonymity but the work can be undone.
March 30, 2015, 05:45:13 PM
There is a key in the config file that identifies the node so you can start it remotely from the cold wallet.

A cold wallet is one in which the private keys are NOT stored on a machine with ANY access to or from ANY other machine at all.

I think the definition of 'cold storage' is somewhat ambiguous, but in general refers to storing keys offline except when it's necessary to use them online, which in the case of masternodes is when you need to start the node - typically following an upgrade.
legendary
March 30, 2015, 05:43:29 PM

The standard for real-world fintech is 'mathematically proven.'

Hahaha, nope, it ain't.

The standard for real-world fintech is 'works' and 'makes money'. At least if you're talking about 'fintech' as in 'finance technology' used in 'finance companies' by 'finance professionals' like what i am.

"The code has been reviewed once."

^^That's your problem right there.^^

You should make that the cult's new motto:

DASH - The code has been reviewed once!

It'll make a fitting epitaph as well:

March 30, 2015, 05:35:34 PM

So, it is therefore IMPOSSIBLE to "start (a node) remotely from (a) cold wallet."

It is huge failures in basic security concepts that make the D-coin akin to a mirage, and almost like a Trojan Horse, in my opinion.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
March 30, 2015, 05:35:00 PM

Additional services at the very core of DASH, at the very core of its marketing and its purpose in life.  I look at them as core services and not additional services.  All central to the DASH architectural model.

But the point is that the basic coin is the same as BTC. The idea is you have some services on top that improve on what you can get from trusted third-parties with BTC. These services run on 2,400 servers in a random, trustless fashion - instead of a handful of servers owned by one anoymous dude who can steal your coins.

Forgetting any first-mover advantages or whatever....if this is an improvement over standard BTC then why not use it?

So if all DASH is is a Bitcoin tumbler, can it really be marketed as an anonymous cryptocurrency?
Activity: 392
Merit: 255
March 30, 2015, 05:26:34 PM

I have to interject here.  Something touting itself as an anonymous crypto currency cannot be fit for purpose if it has not been proven mathematically sound.  I believe in this situation the onus is reversed.  It is up to DASH to prove the cryptographic functions, mathematics and logic behind its anonymity and privacy are sound and not the other way around.

but everything that makes it a cryptocurrency is proven - it's a fork of bitcoin core.

the additional services provided by masternodes are just that; additional services....like what you can get with BTC from trusted third parties, but instead native to the coin and trustless.

Additional services at the very core of DASH, at the very core of its marketing and its purpose in life.  I look at them as core services and not additional services.  All central to the DASH architectural model.

how do you prove that a complex system is 'mathematically sound'?  E.g. where is the mathematical proof that Bitcoin user's will mine and make transactions and act honestly for the best interest of the system, without which Bitcoin 'wouldn't work'?  The closest that current Math can come is game theory - but that's not a proof.
March 30, 2015, 05:24:53 PM

Additional services at the very core of DASH, at the very core of its marketing and its purpose in life.  I look at them as core services and not additional services.  All central to the DASH architectural model.

But the point is that the basic coin is the same as BTC. The idea is you have some services on top that improve on what you can get from trusted third-parties with BTC. These services run on 2,400 servers in a random, trustless fashion - instead of a handful of servers owned by one anoymous dude who can steal your coins.

Forgetting any first-mover advantages or whatever....if this is an improvement over standard BTC then why not use it?
March 30, 2015, 05:23:19 PM
Rebranding is gr8!

I suggest Monero becomes MASH.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
March 30, 2015, 05:20:34 PM

I have to interject here.  Something touting itself as an anonymous crypto currency cannot be fit for purpose if it has not been proven mathematically sound.  I believe in this situation the onus is reversed.  It is up to DASH to prove the cryptographic functions, mathematics and logic behind its anonymity and privacy are sound and not the other way around.

but everything that makes it a cryptocurrency is proven - it's a fork of bitcoin core.

the additional services provided by masternodes are just that; additional services....like what you can get with BTC from trusted third parties, but instead native to the coin and trustless.

March 30, 2015, 05:12:32 PM

The standard for real-world fintech is 'mathematically proven.'

Hahaha, nope, it ain't.

The standard for real-world fintech is 'works' and 'makes money'. At least if you're talking about 'fintech' as in 'finance technology' used in 'finance companies' by 'finance professionals' like what i am.

GTFO.  This is crypto, not a new fucking gastropub on Yelp.

OK dude, let's keep it civilised....good luck with your mission Smiley
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
March 30, 2015, 05:09:51 PM
Then there's "instant transactions", which as others showed was taken from Green Addresses, a system already available with Bitcoin.

If you read what GreenAddress actually is, you will see they are not at all the same. It can never be used from personal wallets, as the recipient has to trust the previously published sending address not to double spend.

This is just one more misunderstanding on what Darkcoin/DASH is in addition to uniform denominations, change handling, and whether masternodes actually send and receive coins.

Wait, what does Dash do again? Oh yea, I have to rely on others to setup masternodes in order to even use the "anonymity" in the first place. I also have to trust that all the masternodes are not compromised since most of them are hosted on centralized servers online, as there's still a chance of deanonymizing a transaction. Yippee.

Wait, what has your reply to do with the misunderstandings I mentioned? Oh yea, nothing. It's just your need to regurgitate the same old that's been discussed to death already.

Since you're so concerned about masternodes "being compromised", can you explain what is exactly the most important data that the attacker (realistically, only the NSA) would collect?

Huh? You replied that Green Addresses required a level of trust, to which I replied that Dash's entire masternode system requires a level of trust, get it? It's not even the NSA, it's much more simpler than that. Masternodes are hosted on centralized servers, the hosting providers of such servers technically "own the masternode". Dash's entire masternode system is centralized. Even your former lead developer admitted it...Don't let investments clog your reasoning.

So you're claiming that if A requires trust, and B requires trust, then A = B.

One more time, Just go read the wiki page, Green addresses is not the same as InstantX.
legendary
March 30, 2015, 05:07:13 PM
You've already been shown the maths proving Cryptonote/Monero is secure and private.

There exists no equivalent research for Masternodes, much less the rest of Darkcoin's hodge-podge of borrowed and rebranded crypto tricks.

What DASH is doing is not hyper-complex. The code has been reviewed once by K Atlas, is open source and will no doubt be subject to further review. At no point have I said DASH is perfect or 'mathematically proven' - it's about real-world utility and whether it's fit for purpose.

You refuse to listen when gmaxwell, the inventor of CoinJoin, says Evan's homespun version is flawed.

Well, in the comments posted from him on this thread he was saying there are better approaches, but doesn't say it's broken. I can see he doesn't like DASH though....fair enough.

Trusted 3rd parties are security holes.  That is why Bitcoin exists.  If you still don't get it, you never will.

Sure, but I don't really see where the trust is. Masternode owners is all anyone says, but there's no clear demonstration of _why_ they are trusted.

lots of stuff about cults

I could take you a lot more seriously if you dropped all this BS, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do...

The standard for real-world fintech is 'mathematically proven.'  The fact you try to equate 'mathematically proven' with 'perfect' shows how little you understand the topic.

You are obviously drinking deeply of the Darkcoin Kool-Aid.  We can all see it.  Hence the "stuff about cults."

"The code has been reviewed once?"

Once?  Really?  Did it get four stars?  

GTFO.  This is crypto, not a new fucking gastropub on Yelp.
March 30, 2015, 05:07:07 PM

I have to interject here.  Something touting itself as an anonymous crypto currency cannot be fit for purpose if it has not been proven mathematically sound.  I believe in this situation the onus is reversed.  It is up to DASH to prove the cryptographic functions, mathematics and logic behind its anonymity and privacy are sound and not the other way around.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
March 30, 2015, 05:04:57 PM
You have to trust masternode owners to uphold the value of your coins, because a lot of the value comes from owners' dependency upon financial privacy. It is totally contrary to the philosophy of the blockchain, so you trust absolutely no one but everyone for that. And value=/=price mind you

Activity: 392
Merit: 255
March 30, 2015, 05:04:13 PM
Pages:
Jump to: