Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] CUDA enabled qt client miner for primecoins. Source code inside. WIP - page 7. (Read 31718 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Wow. Good job on publicizing that. Too bad I don't own any CUDA cards. Sad Can buy one, though. Been wanting to for a while just for the sake of using blender cycles.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
FYI I believe there are already large prime libraries and Wuite a bit of CUDA code on Mersenne a prime solving that "should" be able to plug into a CUDA miner.

I have a few nVidia cards I would be happy to test early betas on.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
Please compile source code for windows.
Activity: 252
awesome work! cant wait  Grin
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
Very excited to see this. Thank you for all your hard work, it is very much appreciated.
Activity: 336
you sir, are awesome. I will click the trust in your name to give you some Smiley
Activity: 301
Mikaelh, since my code is a fork of your client... whats the status of your github page?
https://github.com/mikaelh2/primecoin

Or did you move permanently to bitbucket / or sourceforge with this?

Github support hasn't responded to me. Right now I'm forced to use Bitbucket as a replacement.
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
Right who knows! I'm only doing this in CUDA because: I have a Nvidia graphics card and I know CUDA fairly well.

It's not even sure that GPU mining primecoins will be significantly faster. And as I said, getting big integer math on GPU right isn't exactly easy to do. If ATI or NVIDIA is faster with this, pure speculation.

Thanks for all the support!!!  I hope to have something functional soon, but progress over the weekend will be slower.

Mikaelh, since my code is a fork of your client... whats the status of your github page?
https://github.com/mikaelh2/primecoin

Or did you move permanently to bitbucket / or sourceforge with this?
Activity: 112
Independent Analyst
The latest client is hp5
Activity: 280
Awesome.
So does that mean I have to order an Nvidia card now rather than the 7950 I was going to buy with the BTC I made last night off XPM? lol

Before anyone actually starts ordering new GPUs, I'd like to say that I see no reason why CUDA should outperform OpenCL. The current mining code is mostly doing integer math. As most people should know from Bitcoin/Litecoin mining, GPUs from AMD are very good at integer math. I would advise waiting until properly optimized CUDA and OpenCL miners are available until you decide which GPUs you will be buying in the future.
I refer you too http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/9854/why-do-amds-gpus-mine-faster-than-nvidias

if the theory there is correct then trying to compair opencl and cuda prime searching is moot until we have some working code to test and optimize
Activity: 476
Are you planning to release windows binaries ?
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Accepting donations for "early access" is about as close to an outright scam as you can get, and I NEVER expected the person behind reaper etc. to pull something as cheap.

It's essentially buying software. People give him money, he gives them a product. Anyone is perfectly entitled to buy, the only prerequisite is one Bitcoin, or less than $100. People in many fields purchase software and make money from the product of the software, think CAD, think Graphics Design, think electrical engineering, think multimedia...

Everyone freaks out when someone doesn't do something for free, it's a bit sad. The project will be released free, but for those who want early access, they can buy the software. He's selling a product. And taking pre-orders.

EDIT: Also, a 'scam' is generally when the person who pays money doesn't get a product. Sure we can't prove this is the true reaper developer, but if it is (and chances are high!), then it won't be a 'scam,' but rather not giving the software away to everyone. He wants to be paid for his work, but he still wants to be able to release the software as open source and support it as freeware. Mrtlt has earned like 21 Bitcoins, or around $2,000 for his efforts. If it takes him just 40 hours to develop the software, he's getting paid less than most top-notch programmers.

I have absolutely nothing against someone charging for software. What is shady is the idea of paying for priority access of a software with unknown specs, exclusive for people who are willing to 'risk' money on a gamble.

Just does not smell right. The idea of this project, a bounty and open development is far more open and honest in my opinion.
Activity: 301
Awesome.
So does that mean I have to order an Nvidia card now rather than the 7950 I was going to buy with the BTC I made last night off XPM? lol

Before anyone actually starts ordering new GPUs, I'd like to say that I see no reason why CUDA should outperform OpenCL. The current mining code is mostly doing integer math. As most people should know from Bitcoin/Litecoin mining, GPUs from AMD are very good at integer math. I would advise waiting until properly optimized CUDA and OpenCL miners are available until you decide which GPUs you will be buying in the future.
Activity: 72
anyone try this and find block ?
legendary
Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029
Why all the attention to CUDA?

Based on previous prime-number-based-research projects, CUDA has outperformed OpenCL.
Activity: 441
Awesome.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
Good post to get prices unstable Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011
Reverse engineer from time to time
Why all the attention to CUDA?
legendary
Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029
I'm sure OP is already aware, but I have a bounty for 6 BTC for a primecoin CUDA miner, which this is well on the way to earning. Bounty of course requires a public release of the code and binaries, which it looks like OP is going to provide no problem.   
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000
Crackpot Idealist
Pages:
Jump to: