Pages:
Author

Topic: "You should assume your IP address can be associated with you.." -Gavin Anderson - page 2. (Read 4884 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Well if you're not doing anything shady or anything dirty you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

That's if you're on a private network like a locked wi-fi....
Activity: 381
Merit: 250
 x

Its not too difficult to change your IP before broadcasting transactions or after broadcasting a transaction:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/change-ip - Requires you to insert a different MAC Addresses into your router homepage and unplug it for 5 mins.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ - Bitcoin Accepted here!!

Edit: Clarity

The issue here is the ISP has log which can point it to you if someone want to spy on you.

Changing IP doesn't solve the problem.

Good point, I actually did not even think about that. I was just thinking about the scenario if someone wanted to target valuable wallets, you would be able to change IP's so they could not target you.
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
 x

Its not too difficult to change your IP before broadcasting transactions or after broadcasting a transaction:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/change-ip - Requires you to insert a different MAC Addresses into your router homepage and unplug it for 5 mins.

The issue here is the ISP has log which can point it to you if someone want to spy on you.

Changing IP doesn't solve the problem.
Activity: 381
 x

Activity: 503
Merit: 501
This is not valid with Dynamic IP internet connections, like the connection I've right now.

Even with a dynamic IP address your identity can still be found.

Your ISP will keep logs of who is assigned what IP address at what times.

Any more information on this? My only sources come from talking to ISP support reps but they've always told me "due to the dynamic nature of allocating IPs" they can't confirm who the owner is, which to me sounds like BS because I'm sure all ISPs have to have rules in place so they can identify customers in the case of abuse.

The root of that crime is stealing anothers connection. That's the best spoof. Now if every packet were ever only shipped only with a sotoshi...
Activity: 661
Merit: 502
This is not valid with Dynamic IP internet connections, like the connection I've right now.

Even with a dynamic IP address your identity can still be found.

Your ISP will keep logs of who is assigned what IP address at what times.

Any more information on this? My only sources come from talking to ISP support reps but they've always told me "due to the dynamic nature of allocating IPs" they can't confirm who the owner is, which to me sounds like BS because I'm sure all ISPs have to have rules in place so they can identify customers in the case of abuse.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
There are a number of ways to mask where a TX originated from:

Tor
Public WiFi
Using blockchain to push a signed TX for you
running a full node and having a light client only connect to that node

Zerocoin.
Activity: 378
Merit: 255
Bitcoin is anonymous because of the sheer number of transactions that take too long to figure out.  If you get on somebody's list, they can figure you out.
With the Bitcoin protocol, could I demand that all entities enquiring into my IP access that data only through my personal multi-signature (or authorized legal/agent) release? In other words, I get a 'you are being snooped message' - again, hidden only through legal means and well documented in the blockchain available for audit. An ultimate goal of mine would be to receive a micro-payment for something as common as a website tracking cookie and gain royalty upon its use. Doesn't matter if we think Google will do it or not, someone will and when they do... Another example, red-light cameras: Pictures go into a crypto/blockchain transaction, access is allowable for brief periods using location protected hardware (leaves the building and it automatically wipes/disables).

So someone buys the right to visually inspect that picture and i am in it. I've got copyright and also protection, and if I wasn't part of the crime (no crime, no reason to be buying up my picture, right?), then i've earned a Satoshi and was informed of surveillance. For every invasion of privacy from bitcoin I could probably come up with 10 protections or ownerships of privacy. Cameras? You take a picture in public? My phone is informed as you've broadcast your actions to the local mesh. This can be done with hardware. Off the grid and on a murky network? Ok, but you'll find your social passport shut down as you traffic in public places. Today I feel if I met a Sci-Fi B grade movie producer I would grab and shake them till they hear me, "Here's Bitcoin 2025, I've got the first 10 episodes" Cheesy

So much is on the table. I don't think that it can be controlled, I believe it will evolve.
Activity: 448
It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin
It's pretty easy to get internet under a fake name.

Even if you signed up under an alias wouldn't your IP address still be associated with you house/apartment?

Yes, and what if you rented in the same fake name?

Before someone says you can't pass a credit check for a place with a fake name - you can rent without doing a credit check. Just tell the landlord that you don't use a SSN on principle (Its a welfare program. Why invest in a corp that's trillions in debt? Underage contract..etc, etc). Some landlords, especially if they're desperate to rent, will let it slide. Others can be talked into it with a large enough deposit.

That sounds a lot like identity theft.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

Even if you signed up under an alias wouldn't your IP address still be associated with you house/apartment?

Yes, and what if you rented in the same fake name?

Before someone says you can't pass a credit check for a place with a fake name - you can rent without doing a credit check. Just tell the landlord that you don't use a SSN on principle (Its a welfare program. Why invest in a corp that's trillions in debt? Underage contract..etc, etc). Some landlords, especially if they're desperate to rent, will let it slide. Others can be talked into it with a large enough deposit.

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003
Activity: 379
Merit: 100
I wish I knew about this before I got into Bitcoin.  I have nothing to hide so I don't mind using my plain IP but if I'm torrenting, I use a proxy just so that it's not so easily accessible.   Undecided
NUD
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
Unless you are using New Universal Dollars™ Wink
this isn't a suprise, really. you can see where transactions are broadcast from, so if sending from your own client, it would appear that your IP address could be narrowed down / linked to you. i've never been concerned, really.

The Point is that a BTC TX can be associated to you via your IP address
In my opinion, eventually the ISP will have as much or more responsibility for knowing and protecting customers as traditional banks.

The ISP will have to work with local laws and governments regarding privacy and accountability.

The ISP is the most likely candidate to provide proof of location, if that ever becomes a feature. ISP's could act as a signature in transactions.

If ISP's won't step up to the responsibility, Maidsafe should.
legendary
Activity: 905
Merit: 1000
Using an unauthorized connection to an unprotected (or weakly protected) WiFi access point (for highly sensitive transactions by "Iranian dissidents") would be a dead-end for IP address tracking, but would not be very user-friendly.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
What was OP?
Thread starter delete cause he worried he being bmtracked now?

Annoying when OP gets  deleted..

IIRC, the body of the OP could just as well have been and 'EOM' trailing in the title.  It should not be big news to anyone that IP assignment logs are retained.  I'd be surprised if this particular bit of meta-data were not both very complete and retained indefinitely (edit: and they go back to the before y2k.)

Of course 'you' would mean whoever is paying the bill to your ISP...because even if your web-cam can be activated at will it is certain to be an unusual event.

Pages:
Jump to: