Pages:
Author

Topic: "You should assume your IP address can be associated with you.." -Gavin Anderson - page 4. (Read 4884 times)

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
I am not tech literate. You can run your entire internet connection using tor? Or, are you saying use tor when using btc services or online wallet an such?

(Please, no making fun of me, I admit to being mostly computer illiterate.)
If you are running a Bitcoin node (this means Bitcoin-Qt, bitcoind, btcd, or I think Obelisk) on your own computer, and you are running a Tor client, then you can configure the Bitcoin node to only connect to the Bitcoin network via Tor.

If you're using an online wallet, then you don't have any privacy anyway so it doesn't really matter if you use Tor to access it or not.
Activity: 882
Merit: 500
One way to mitigate someone passively snooping on the network level, and finding out who is the originator of transactions would be to encrypt peer to peer communications.

Attackers who set up nodes will have to set up a sufficient amount in order to provide acceptable confidence that peer they got the transaction from is indeed the originator of the transaction.
Tor communications are encrypted peer-to-peer.

Set up your node to accept connections via a hidden service, and use -onlynet=tor to make sure you only connect to other hidden services.

Now 100% of your peer-to-peer connections are encrypted.

I am not tech literate. You can run your entire internet connection using tor? Or, are you saying use tor when using btc services or online wallet an such?

(Please, no making fun of me, I admit to being mostly computer illiterate.)
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
One way to mitigate someone passively snooping on the network level, and finding out who is the originator of transactions would be to encrypt peer to peer communications.

Attackers who set up nodes will have to set up a sufficient amount in order to provide acceptable confidence that peer they got the transaction from is indeed the originator of the transaction.
Tor communications are encrypted peer-to-peer.

Set up your node to accept connections via a hidden service, and use -onlynet=tor to make sure you only connect to other hidden services.

Now 100% of your peer-to-peer connections are encrypted.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
Yes, people can track your IP to a bitcoin transaction if you do not mask it.

well, i for once didnt know this.
i thought bitcoin was only seen by wallet address..

actualy, you can use online wallet, or a vpn for that matter.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin
There are a number of ways to mask where a TX originated from:

Tor
Public WiFi
Using blockchain to push a signed TX for you
running a full node and having a light client only connect to that node
vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻

legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3041
Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023
Anyone who can eavesdrop on your network connection (such as your ISP, the NSA, or your neighbour if you use open Wi-Fi) can see if you send a transaction that you didn't previously receive, which proves you created it, and are not merely relaying someone else's transaction. Also, an early version of Bitcoin had a bug which allowed an attacker with a direct connection to your node to determine your addresses. Although this bug has been fixed, the current version may yet have similar bugs.

For these reasons, it is recommended to run Bitcoin over Tor. However, note that doing so does not necessarily make you anonymous, as there are other methods of associating your identity with your Bitcoin transactions than your IP address.

None of this is secret or controversial. Bitcoin was never intended to be completely anonymous.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
Yes, people can track your IP to a bitcoin transaction if you do not mask it.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Pages:
Jump to: