Pages:
Author

Topic: . - page 3. (Read 5221 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1
October 01, 2012, 11:12:28 PM
Rassah, I do believe a machine can be a sentient being only because I believe consciousness can be quantified and replicated. This is why I am sympathetic to the theories I am suggesting.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
October 01, 2012, 09:53:35 PM
Um, wtf???

I prefer the much simpler explanation of our brains being a network of electrical impulses, designed to help us survive and reproduce, but having more information stored than we can possibly process and make sense of, rather than this extra-body existence and reincarnation.

Haha, in your simple explanation, if consciousness is just a product of electrical impulses in your brain,
then answer me this simple question - what makes a particular consciousness *your* consciousness?

When you say "[brain] ...having more information stored than we can possibly process", who is this mysterious *we* that processes it?

How *you* ended up in this biological shell with brain and stuff?
See, if you never existed before, then what triggered your appearance in this strange form at this time on this planet?

There was no "appearance." It was a very slow development from nothing, through a very mentally undeveloped state as a toddler, to more and more developed state through childhood and adulthood,  as my brain recorded various experiences and formed neural pathways that help me relate new information to my present day experiences. My particular life experiences, which were a direct PHYSICAL influences on the network structure of my brain's neural network, is what make my particular consciousness *my* particular consciousness. And "we" as in human species. We are no different from very complex network-based computers. And once our technology allows computers to think the way we do, and store our consciousness on machines, you guys will be going around causing all sorts of violence against intelligent machines and people who upload themselves to such machines, because you will think they don't have "souls" or "consciousness" any more, and thus won't consider destroying them as murder.
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
October 01, 2012, 08:39:05 PM
Um, wtf???

I prefer the much simpler explanation of our brains being a network of electrical impulses, designed to help us survive and reproduce, but having more information stored than we can possibly process and make sense of, rather than this extra-body existence and reincarnation.

Haha, in your simple explanation, if consciousness is just a product of electrical impulses in your brain,
then answer me this simple question - what makes a particular consciousness *your* consciousness?

When you say "[brain] ...having more information stored than we can possibly process", who is this mysterious *we* that processes it?

How *you* ended up in this biological shell with brain and stuff?
See, if you never existed before, then what triggered your appearance in this strange form at this time on this planet?
Activity: 532
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
October 01, 2012, 05:51:27 PM
myrkul sorry: You are indeed not ironic, you sincerely believe people are a commodity and that their inner self is hired also! The one point you make, that is true is that doing good to others for the purpose of self gratification is somewhat selfish, but that is quite a stretch as you actually do something beneficial to others regardless of your personal motivation.

No, I do not believe people are a commodity. I do not believe their "inner self" is hired as well. I do believe you should not endanger someone's job by dragging out the call just to make yourself feel better.

You yourself stated that your motivation for doing this is to prove to yourself that you don't see them as faceless cogs in a machine made to serve you. That is a selfish motive, which in itself I do not disapprove of. Nothing wrong with acting to please yourself. What is wrong is to act to please yourself to the detriment of others. Which is exactly what you are doing when you drag out the call and tell them a joke when they are being paid to provide a service to people. People who do things other than their jobs while on their jobs don't typically get to keep that job.

If you truly wanted to make them feel valued, and cared about their welfare, you would take the advice of one of the people you are discussing about how to do that. No. All you care about is how you feel about how you consider them. It doesn't matter that you could be damaging the person's livelihood. You don't consider them part of a machine, and you've just wasted their time proving that to yourself. And let me tell you, again from the perspective of a person who has worked in a call center: That's exactly how we see it when the call drags on after we should have said "Thank you for calling " and hung up. You're wasting our time, and ruining our numbers. Polish your self-esteem on your own damn time.
Activity: 616
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer
October 01, 2012, 05:40:09 PM
This user is currently ignored.
Activity: 742
Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3
October 01, 2012, 05:39:50 PM
Dude, you gotta remember, "You never go full retard." That will help you when posting Atlas.
Activity: 295
Merit: 250
October 01, 2012, 05:38:02 PM
What's wrong with just saying "consciousness" is a fractal along one axis, "reincarnation" is a fractal along another, and having done with it? Bosh. Job complete...

Feel free to explain.

Well. I just quite like fractals really. But there's a certain poetry in nature replicating itself. The golden ratio repeats itself at all manner of levels. Consciousness is a "mirror" of reality, to possibly borrow from Shinto. Ergo, could consciousness be a fractal mirroring of the body which is, in turn a fractal mirroring of the environmental systems, which is in turn... etc. etc. etc.

Hence one axis = layers of reality which shift in tune with each other. As the global ecosystem alters, the human consciousnesseseses tied to it alter.

And if time is a dimension, wherein patterns repeat themselves with subtle variation (fractals are not *identical* at all levels, just reminiscent) - e.g. evolution and mutation, innovation cycles, plus ca change, etc., why couldn't reincarnation on a physical/mental/cultural/historical axis not also be a constant looping of fractal reflections? The golden ratio dispersed along event horizons.

But I'm still working on it. There may be holes in my argument.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
October 01, 2012, 05:08:35 PM
Um, wtf???

Where did all the "consciousness" of the old 386 and 485 PCs go to? Reincarnated as android phones and cheap GPS systems?
Activity: 504
October 01, 2012, 10:07:33 AM
myrkul sorry: You are indeed not ironic, you sincerely believe people are a commodity and that their inner self is hired also! The one point you make, that is true is that doing good to others for the purpose of self gratification is somewhat selfish, but that is quite a stretch as you actually do something beneficial to others regardless of your personal motivation.

BTW this is the first time any one has replied with "FUCK YOU" to me ever in a forum.
October 01, 2012, 09:40:56 AM
myrkul, I do not always live up to my own ideals, you are indeed joking admitting it or not. If you are sincerely angry, I must admit this is also somewhat pleasureful.
Activity: 496
October 01, 2012, 08:59:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QDT58Q6Zxo

I've been searching and well...

I think Dr. Newton has pretty much figured it out through putting dozens of patients in hypnosis. According to him, we do reincarnate and we choose to live specific lives to learn certain lessons. Apparently there is life everywhere in every form and I find this funny in the context of libertarian philosophy: Life is inherently voluntary according to Dr. Newton. We can choose to stay on Earth after we die and watch our loved ones. We can choose to live multiple lives on Earth or live a life of a gaseous being on another planet. We can choose to live a life in the third-world or the first-world.

Now, I am still skeptical but if this is how the universe functions in the regards to sentient beings, I am truly content. I am truly happy. ...and apparently what he reports are universal visions across all his clients.

Anyways, what do you think of reincarnation? Is it just too good to be true?

P.S. Dr. Newton used to be a complete atheist.

The OP is spot on.
Years of research and some sort of 'inner knowing' have led me to the same conclusions.
I would recommend the channelings of Bashar and Kryon on youtube to anybody interested in this topic.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention Dolores Cannon one of the pioneers in regression hypnosis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihH0L_bffAA
October 01, 2012, 08:15:40 AM
Cracking me up, can't LLO properly. 

Perhaps the reason you must convince yourself that others do not exist solely to provide services to you is because you are the only person about whom you care in the slightest. If you truly cared about them, you would take my advice with thanks, instead of laughing at it. Fuck you.

Hypocrite.
October 01, 2012, 07:57:00 AM
Cracking me up, can't LLO properly. 
October 01, 2012, 07:52:52 AM
Wonderful, adding fractals to this, so it sounds like theoretical physics.

Sorry guys, I have to say something nice to you now, Knowingly forcing you to read my post and robbing some ponzi schemer for your time where he could feel some sense of purpose in life offering you 11% interest/week.
I see the joke you're trying to make here, but it falls flat. It's not my job to read this forum, and if it is anyone's job to do so, I truly pity them. Nor am I providing a service to you or anyone else by reading this. I gave you specific advice from the perspective of one of those "human telephone exchanges" on how to make us feel valued without endangering our jobs, and you try to turn it into a joke. Son, I am disappoint.

Here it goes: The contributions to this forum are diversified and original and really boost my English writing skills. I'm sure that this forum has a higher than average of good thinkers and the originality here always takes my preconceptions of everything in a new direction.

Thank you. Or perhaps you're welcome would be more appropriate?
October 01, 2012, 07:33:32 AM
Wonderful, adding fractals to this, so it sounds like theoretical physics.

Sorry guys, I have to say something nice to you now, Knowingly forcing you to read my post and robbing some ponzi schemer for your time where he could feel some sense of purpose in life offering you 11% interest/week.

Here it goes: The contributions to this forum are diversified and original and really boost my English writing skills. I'm sure that this forum has a higher than average of good thinkers and the originality here always takes my preconceptions of everything in a new direction.

Cheres
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
October 01, 2012, 06:43:59 AM
What's wrong with just saying "consciousness" is a fractal along one axis, "reincarnation" is a fractal along another, and having done with it? Bosh. Job complete...

Feel free to explain.

On another note, I thought about dying and nobody being there for me. Apparently that happens. lol

My own conceptions of what it must be like to be alone at the spiritual gateway and
beyond is not shared by those souls who utilize the option of going solo. Actually,
people in this category are experienced travelers. As older, mature souls, they seem
to require no initial support system. They know right where they are going after
death. I suspect the process is accelerated for them as well, because they manage to
more rapidly wind up where they belong than those who stop to meet others.
October 01, 2012, 06:42:21 AM
When I call up a business I usually prolong the conversation with the receptionist, and come with some kind encouraging joke.

I know what you're doing here, and I approve. But you're doing it wrong. In prolonging the conversation and telling a joke, you're denying other people the service that that person is being paid to deliver. As a phone tech support person, I can honestly say that calls such as the ones you suggest usually brightened my day. But they also negatively affected my metrics... call times, etc. Consider, then, the next time you drag out a call, that you may be costing that nice person on the other end of the line their job.

Instead, show your respect for them by being understanding that the other person did not cause the problem you're having, and indeed only wants to help you fix it, and, at the end of the call, honestly and sincerely thank them. If they did an exceptional job, be sure to contact their superiors and let them know. A letter makes a nice frameable cubicle decoration.

Seriously, if you want to make the person you're taking to feel valued and appreciated, a simple sincere "thank you" is all you need. Remembering and using their name in that thanks will really drive it home.
Activity: 295
October 01, 2012, 06:18:53 AM
October 01, 2012, 05:53:08 AM
Sorry I was not finished: It is as simple as making people feel good about them self makes you feel good about yourself.

The wrong way of doing it, is to try to outsmart or trick others to boost your own confidence in yourself, and ease your own pain, but only achieving a kind of reenactment of your own pain of past deceits.
October 01, 2012, 05:39:51 AM
Every porcupine have a fluffy belly, and I have had my share of deceit too, as most people have. But the alternative is to live in fear and suspicion, and that makes you kind of gray on the inside. I believe that I have to risk a measured amount of naivety or card blanc trust in strangers, else it would be a world not worth living in! luckily lots of people have come to the same conclusion. Mutual passions in business or other types of relations are meaningful as you are sharing a common sub goal of your life. Sharing a passion is real human interaction. The business relation I consider wasteful is the view of the other person as a service provider to me. When I call up a business I usually prolong the conversation with the receptionist, and come with some kind encouraging joke. That is not a trick to make her remember me the next time I call. I have to prove to myself that the other person is not just a a human telephone exchange to me.
Pages:
Jump to: