Pages:
Author

Topic: 1080Ti Specific - Best mining option - page 90. (Read 409660 times)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
January 05, 2018, 01:43:52 PM

you forget other parts on the card that cant handle these temp for a long time without being affect. The cards are built to run @70C, its a fact. Now if you want to go ahead and run them @85C its your business.

Where this 'fact' comes from?.

1080Ti boxes, MSI website (read my previous post)
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
January 05, 2018, 01:10:43 PM

you forget other parts on the card that cant handle these temp for a long time without being affect. The cards are built to run @70C, its a fact. Now if you want to go ahead and run them @85C its your business.

Where this 'fact' comes from?. Even working temperature of CPU depend on each generation. No air-cooled 1080ti will run @70 C in any demanding game. You can argue that's only for short sessions, but the world is full of crazy gamers miners.  Many of them run in SLI, where the card on the top will reach  85C easily. 

I think the lifetime  depends on the card quality. I  put my money in a hight quality board, like these of FTW3/Srix/Lighting/etc,  running at 75C 24/365 instead of a cheap card running at 65C  24/365.

All this discussion is a bit silly.  As long as  the card is under warranty it's a manufacturer's problem, not our business,  to make sure  that the card is not fried under extreme conditions while the warranty is active.

Activity: 476
Merit: 278
January 05, 2018, 10:33:35 AM
How much underwolt are you guys able to run on your cards while still overclocking? Im running my cards at around +100 core while having 90% power draw.
Thats where silicon lottery kicks in as some of the cards are already maxed out at factory settings like aorus extreme  while others are can be oc without problem.Also different algos different power draw and oc
January 05, 2018, 10:10:51 AM
[

the capacitors on these cards are rated for 90 000 hours(10 years) @70c.
According to Steve Burke at Gamers Nexus you're looking at 5000 or 10000 hours @ 105C.
Not saying it is gospel, just parroting what he says.
Video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WWfj7RF_z8&t=874s
For everyone's benefit and enjoyment...

Are there really people running their GPU's at 105C?
I dont believe so, to much throttle to run it at that temp

vrms can hit 100+ *C

anyway i have run various cards for years 24/7/365 at folding and mining, only lost a couple fans. but i do keep them clean and cool(ish).

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
January 05, 2018, 08:01:50 AM
[

According to Steve Burke at Gamers Nexus you're looking at 5000 or 10000 hours @ 105C.

vrms can hit 100+ *C

anyway i have run various cards for years 24/7/365 at folding and mining, only lost a couple fans. but i do keep them clean and cool(ish).
January 05, 2018, 07:43:55 AM
How much underwolt are you guys able to run on your cards while still overclocking? Im running my cards at around +100 core while having 90% power draw.

I guess it depends of the algorithm/miner
Activity: 16
Merit: 1
January 05, 2018, 07:27:42 AM
January 05, 2018, 07:23:36 AM
Apologies in advance since I imagine this has been covered before.  Basic simple question.

What temp range is safe to run the 1080ti at long term without seriously degrading the longevity of the GPU?

Got my e-bill today and it wasn't as bad as expected.  So am going to push TDP up and get more hash - while also getting more heat.
It's a difficult question to answer. I suggest you watch Gamers Nexus latest Q&A video on youtube, he addresses this point specifically. The general understanding is, as long as your card is not temp throttling, you should be fine. What's most likely to pop are capacitors. They are rated between 5000 and 10000 hours usually.

I could care less about that nobody, its right on some 1080Ti boxes btw.

from MSI's website:
All Solid Capacitors
    10 years long lifetime under full load.
    Lower temperature and higher efficiency.
    Aluminum core for higher stability.
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Founders-Edition.html

Infos are more specifics (with 2 charts) on the box with lifespan expectancy according to the temperature.  Ill grab a picture next time I see it.
These infos are clearly made for rendering software users (and miners Wink )
January 05, 2018, 06:59:37 AM
Apologies in advance since I imagine this has been covered before.  Basic simple question.

What temp range is safe to run the 1080ti at long term without seriously degrading the longevity of the GPU?

Got my e-bill today and it wasn't as bad as expected.  So am going to push TDP up and get more hash - while also getting more heat.
It's a difficult question to answer. I suggest you watch Gamers Nexus latest Q&A video on youtube, he addresses this point specifically. The general understanding is, as long as your card is not temp throttling, you should be fine. What's most likely to pop are capacitors. They are rated between 5000 and 10000 hours usually.

no matter what you read, dont go over 70C if you want to use your card more than 4 years. Going over 75C is asking for problem...
January 05, 2018, 06:58:00 AM
Apologies in advance since I imagine this has been covered before.  Basic simple question.

Got my e-bill today and it wasn't as bad as expected.  So am going to push TDP up and get more hash - while also getting more heat.

I could care less about that nobody, its right on some 1080Ti boxes btw.
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
January 05, 2018, 06:42:37 AM

Activity: 96
Merit: 10
January 05, 2018, 06:41:15 AM
While XZC is still profitable for me and maybe has a future, I started with BWK today to see if it's any good. Should make 2x XZC profits (higher power usage though).
Was getting 0.9~ XZC per day in december now just 0.5, this new diff really sucks =/

Jkcrypto has some awesome posts on this, really good updated info for us with 1080 ti!

Were u able to run the miner he posted? Mine crashes with an windows error.
If not, Which miner are u using?
Activity: 14
January 04, 2018, 08:34:47 PM
While XZC is still profitable for me and maybe has a future, I started with BWK today to see if it's any good. Should make 2x XZC profits (higher power usage though).
Was getting 0.9~ XZC per day in december now just 0.5, this new diff really sucks =/

Jkcrypto has some awesome posts on this, really good updated info for us with 1080 ti!
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
January 04, 2018, 08:21:43 PM

January 04, 2018, 07:50:38 PM

legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092
~Full-Time Minter since 2016~
January 04, 2018, 05:21:11 PM
Skein... at Ahash at least. Check your hashrates here: http://pools.you-stupid-woman.com/

EDIT : nm, figured it out Smiley
Thanks for the tip. I cant mine skein with ccminer though, give me "retrying in 30sec..." error on startup. tried 4 diff. ccminers...any clue?

Nemos is using ccminerAlexis78. Tried that one?

yes, alexis is best on Skein

Damn, just saw http://pools.you-stupid-woman.com/, thats pretty cool, think i might use that
If it works out nice ill make sure send small tip hehe
Thx for the contribution man
Activity: 1218
Merit: 534
January 04, 2018, 04:09:58 PM
Skein... at Ahash at least. Check your hashrates here: http://pools.you-stupid-woman.com/

Thanks for the tip. I cant mine skein with ccminer though, give me "retrying in 30sec..." error on startup. tried 4 diff. ccminers...any clue?

Nemos is using ccminerAlexis78. Tried that one?
Activity: 11
January 04, 2018, 03:47:49 PM

Activity: 55
January 04, 2018, 03:43:38 PM
Whats everyone favorite 1080 ti to get?

From my experience :  FTW3 hybrid >  Asus Strix OC>  MSI Trio > Aorus Extreme Edition  Waterforce.

The FTW3 hybrid has the crappiest fan I've ever found in a high end card,  but it's sooo good, so well done. For a small fee the warranty is extended to 5 years.  I'm in love with it.

The Aorus Extreme Edition  Waterforce has been a complete disappointment. It's about 5% slower than the air cooled Asus Strix OC.  

Activity: 1218
Merit: 534
January 04, 2018, 03:36:53 PM
I am new to mining. I own a ASUS Strix 1080Ti which I want to give a try for mining. I searched this forum for what to mine and I found most recent recommendations about zcash. On other side I also checked on nicehash for hassle free mining.
What do you guys suggest?

I'd suggest Verge or ZCoin (not ZCash). Or general Lyra2v2v or neoscrypt mining on something like Hashrefinery. Make sure you download the correct miners and tweak your card for the best power to hash ratio for the specific algo you are mining.
Thanks for the advice. I recently tried ccminer 1.8.3 mod4 version. Do You suggest any other miner?I prefer a GUI one until I get to understand all command line versions.

I saw this on Reddit, should help you pick the right miner for which algo (he tested with 1080ti). https://www.reddit.com/r/gpumining/comments/7nr8hd/which_miner_should_i_use_a_handy_guide/
Another way to check which miner works best per algo is to look at the bench tab on zpool.ca. Filter by algo, then by GPU and sort by decreasing hashrate. Voilà! Smiley
Thanks! I learned a lot from 5 posts which were made in reply to my query. For now i found that nist5 and lyra2v2 is currently most profitable. correct me if i m wrong.

Pages:
Jump to: