Pages:
Author

Topic: [150TH] [PPLNS 0.5%] Jonny's Mining Emporium (bravo-mining.com) - page 69. (Read 267187 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Thanks for the quick answer about 'N', how about shift information?  I can't seem to find it anywhere on the site, thanks.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Just a quick answer since I'm on my phone... N is 5 times current difficulty.
legendary
Where can I find shift information for my worker on the pool?  What is the N value in this pool's PPLNS?  I looked for a payments page on the web page but did not see anything, sorry if I missed it.
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
When does renting hash make sense?

I've seen this question posted in a number of places around the forum and thought I'd write up an explanation that will hopefully help you make a decision on whether or not to rent.

Things you need to consider:

First and foremost is the price of your rental vs the expected earnings of that rental.  For example, if you were to consider renting 100TH/s right now, you would expect that hashing power to make you 0.3039BTC a day.  Take a look at the rental sites and compare what they are charging for 100TH/s for 24 hours vs that number.  I think this is pretty obvious, but I'll write it anyway: the lower the better Smiley

Next you need to consider the hidden costs of that rental.  The rental sites do not give things away.  For example, nicehash.com applies a 3% fee on every order.  Yes, they are making money from both the renters as well as the owners (owners get charged a 3% fee for pointing their gear there).  So, this means that even if you do get your rental for exactly the price the hash rate expects to earn, you are starting at a loss.  To start off even, you need to get your hash - assuming you're renting from nicehash.com - at 3% less than what you would expect that hash to make.

The next thing to consider is the pool to which you wish to point your rented hash.  What payout method does the pool use?  What fees does the pool charge?  Pro tip: the absolute WORST type of pool you can point rented gear towards is a PPS pool.  Every PPS pool out there charges you a fee - and usually a pretty high one.  The biggest pool, f2pool, charges a whopping 4%.  Think about that.  If you've rented from nicehash.com and point that gear to f2pool, you need to get your rental for 7% under expected value just to break even.

Finally, now that you've chosen your rental provider and the pool on which you're going to mine, take a look at the stats.  How are those miners performing on the pool?  Are you getting a lot of rejects?  Seeing a ton of invalid shares?  That will have an impact on your payout as well.  For example, a lot of the Bitmain gear loses a considerable portion of its hash when pointed to p2pool.  Bitmain's crappy cgminer fork just can't handle the way p2pool works and the hash rate suffers for it.

You'll notice I've written nothing about a pool's luck.  Quite simply, it is not relevant.  Past performance has no bearing at all on the future.  You can certainly use that information speculatively, but it is certainly not a metric on which to base things.

I hope this has helped, and I look forward to seeing some of that rented hash pointed to Bravo Mining Smiley
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Let's crack block number 4!  We've got about 150TH of base hash rate now, so we're growing Smiley.  The current round is still under 120%, which means that if you find the block, you're getting 0.9BTC bonus.  So, let's knock it out of the park!
legendary
For the time being I'll have my S5 pointed here during the day most days and I'll be solo mining with my Avalon6 at night.  I'm probably sending these machines to be hosted at some point, but for a little while I'll be playing with them at home (despite my outrageous electricity rate).

Let's get block #4 for the pool!
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
With the small difficulty bump it looks like your rental costs should be somewhere near:

It's up to you as to how far beyond you're willing to go and what formula you use.
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Well... unfortunately nobody had the luck of the Irish yesterday.  However, don't let that get you down because the other promotion is still going.  Right now, if you find a block the block finder's bonus is 0.9BTC.  So, let's crack this thing wide open!

Oh... and if we hit a block right now?  It would include 0.75BTC in fees Smiley
Activity: 517
Thanks and lets find the next block soon!  Wink
St Patrick's Day Promotion
One day only, we're going to celebrate the luck of the Irish.  Starting at 00:00:00 and going to 23:59:59 EDT on Thursday, March 17.
Dang, just missed the contest, but no block solve.  I did get my A6 up and running for a bit, tested it here.  Cool

Glad you got it going!!
legendary
St Patrick's Day Promotion
One day only, we're going to celebrate the luck of the Irish.  Starting at 00:00:00 and going to 23:59:59 EDT on Thursday, March 17.
Dang, just missed the contest, but no block solve.  I did get my A6 up and running for a bit, tested it here.  Cool

legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Only 5.75 hours left to claim the bonus!  Who's going to be the lucky winner?  Point your hash here and win! Grin
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Yeah, I bounced the stratum server and the bitcoin daemon this morning... made a couple changes to things behind the scenes.  Since I moved to the new dedicated hardware, I've been tweaking things.

Sorry about that failover - and if you noticed that one, you probably noticed the restart I did about an hour ago, too Tongue

By the way, thanks for the retweet earlier!
legendary
I did not have time last night to get my A6 up and running again, so I was not able to point it here today for the promo (plus it's too hot in my house right now to leave it running all day).  The S5 is still hashing away (it vents all its hot air outside), though, although it did fail over this morning.
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Good luck to everyone today!  Just over 13 hours left to win the luck-o-the-Irish block finder's prize.  Smiley
Good luck folks Smiley  I've had to say out of this last block mostly Sad  (outside of my S5) Working on getting back into it!
Activity: 228
Merit: 100
What an AWESOME PROMOTION -- and assuredly a BLOCK BUSTER!!!

And I WANT TO PLAY...

Unfortunately, I'm traveling - and my Trezor is at home...  Huh

And St Patrick's Day was one of my FAVORITE holidays when I was younger...

HAVE FUN GUYS  -- and BEST OF LUCK!!!

edit:  Forgot that I could just buy some coin from Coinbase -- Its been SO LONG since I've done that...  Grin
legendary
Activity: 4158
Merit: 8049
'The right to privacy matters'
I am going to run 8.88 th for all of 3/17/2016
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
The St Patrick's Day promo technically starts in 2 hours, but if either of you hits the block before then, I'll still give you the extra bonus.  And yes, Phil, if the block is found prior to midnight tomorrow the finder will get 1BTC plus the 0.X coins from the currently running promo (right now it is 0.9BTC)
Activity: 777
Merit: 1003
I figured an extra 1+ BTC was worth the risk of some rented hash.  Grin

Yes, I'm circling in on you  Cool, duunnn dunnn... duuuunnnn duun... duuunnnnnnnn dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnn dunnnn (Google Jaws for those who don't know)
Pages:
Jump to: