Pages:
Author

Topic: 16 Bitcoin Software Wallets, compared feature by feature - page 3. (Read 1212 times)

legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 3645
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
Why not?

In most non-custodial or custodial wallets, the developer/company disclaims legal responsibility or any legal consequences such as losing coins or using them in dark activities, so knowing the company or headquarters will not make a difference.

For example, we have Sparrow, dated 2020, without a known company or headquarters compared to a wallet like blockchain.com, which was launched in 2011. They have a headquarters and a registered company. However, Sparrow is better than blockchain.com based on many metrics.

I disagree, it's very important to have an app lock as an extra protection. Also, take into account that some wallets are for desktop. And the app lock is usually related with an encryption of the keys on the device.
locking app different from encryption, in most cases the lock mechanism, whether it is a pin, password, fingerprint, or others, does not encrypt the data inside the application, but rather is necessary to protect against physical attacks.

If the wallet does not encrypt recovery files, there is no point in recommending it.
Activity: 51
Merit: 76

I know this makes your job as maintainer more difficult, but Lightning wallets perhaps should be their category alongside software wallets and hardware wallets (though Lightning wallets are technically a subcategory of software wallets).  There's many different aspects to compare between Lightning wallets, such as their implementation, features such as splicing, taproot channels, BOLT12, LNURL, LSP provision, routing channels, trampoline routing, opening channels to any node, watchtower support, Nostr zapping, multipath payments, channel liquidity ads, and probably a ton of other things I can't think of off of the top of my head.

Yes, I know there are a lot of aspects related to Lightning wallets, but for now that will not be the priority. I haven't enough time to do that I want to prioritize btc on chain.

2. "Left button" and "Right button" for easier navigation doesn't show when i scroll down my browser. For referecne, i tried it with Tor Browser.
3. It's nice to see whether wallet support Bitcoin Signet (since it's less known than testnet3). Although IMO Liquid doesn't have to be mentioned since Bitcoin side-chain generally isn't popular, even among Bitcoin enthusiast.
2. Are you having this issue only in mobile?
3. I think that row doesn't hurt and could be useful for some people

2. I used desktop browser. I just did another check and found it happens on Firefox and Tor Browser. However it works fine on Chromium.
3. I see. In that case, you might want to check RSK which is another Bitcoin sidechain which is frequently mentioned when people talk about sidechain.

2. I tried on both browsers and I can't reproduce the issue
3. Yes, I will add a row for RSK as soon as one of the wallets listed support it.
Activity: 378
Merit: 93
Enable v2transport=1 and mempoolfullrbf=1

I know this makes your job as maintainer more difficult, but Lightning wallets perhaps should be their category alongside software wallets and hardware wallets (though Lightning wallets are technically a subcategory of software wallets).  There's many different aspects to compare between Lightning wallets, such as their implementation, features such as splicing, taproot channels, BOLT12, LNURL, LSP provision, routing channels, trampoline routing, opening channels to any node, watchtower support, Nostr zapping, multipath payments, channel liquidity ads, and probably a ton of other things I can't think of off of the top of my head.
For now I am focusing on btc-only wallets.
Technically speaking Green wallet is not really a pure Bitcoin wallet because it is working with Liquid chain, and Blockstream is advertising L-USDT all the time, even giving discounts for purchasing their Jade hardware wallet with this token.

Yes, I know. But the same we could say from wallets supporting lightning.
Basically I am focusing on wallets that support only btc or anything on top of it.

Added Phoenix Wallet

https://thebitcoinhole.com/software-wallets/phoenix

[moderator's note: consecutive posts merged]
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
Technically speaking Green wallet is not really a pure Bitcoin wallet because it is working with Liquid chain, and Blockstream is advertising L-USDT all the time, even giving discounts for purchasing their Jade hardware wallet with this token.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
Does anyone know if there are other wallets that automate this process in the same way?
It is just an explanation, that is how it works.

The wallet itself is supporting RBF, which means all transactions made on it will support that. If it is incoming (unconfirmed) transaction, you will be able to pump the fee which is what I think Wasabi is referring to. Electrum, Sparrow and Bluewallet can do that. Any wallet that has both RBF and CPFP can do that.

The above CPFP explained, if you are the receiver.

If you are the sender and you make a transaction on a wallet that does not support RBF (and if the transaction does not support full RBF) and you import the seed phrase on those wallets that support coin control, even if you do not see CPFP, you will still be able to pump the fee if the unconfirmed transaction has change address UTXO. Only what you will have to do is to transfer the change address UTXO or part of the change address UTXO to another address on your wallet using a higher fee that can get the two (I mean the child and the parent) transactions confirmed early.
Your website looks good. Few thoughts,

1. IMO width of column which contain wallet name could be smaller in order to show more column.
2. "Left button" and "Right button" for easier navigation doesn't show when i scroll down my browser. For referecne, i tried it with Tor Browser.
3. It's nice to see whether wallet support Bitcoin Signet (since it's less known than testnet3). Although IMO Liquid doesn't have to be mentioned since Bitcoin side-chain generally isn't popular, even among Bitcoin enthusiast.
4. Electrum doesn't create BIP 39 12/24 words, but rather Electrum Seed (see https://electrum.readthedocs.io/en/latest/seedphrase.html) so "12 words seed creation" for Electrum should be updated.

1. Yes. I changed that. Good suggestions
2. Are you having this issue only in mobile?
3. I think that row doesn't hurt and could be useful for some people
4. You are right. Fixed

Thanks for your feedback
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
That section of their docs was updated recently (23 August), so it's fair to assume that they do indeed support both RBF and CPFP. Based on how the support page explains it, the user doesn't have an option to choose whether to use RBF or CPFP. The software does it automatically, preferring to go for RBF and only then for CPFP if the first option isn't possible. That's quite an interesting approach. Does anyone know if there are other wallets that automate this process in the same way?
Well done on the site!  It's a little difficult to fit all the categories even on a big screen, but that just means you did a thorough job.

A few notes on partial support:  Wasabi has partial support for QR code scanning (Windows and Linux only, not Mac) and partial support for Taproot (seed import and internal addresses only, external addresses are always Segwitv0).

Thanks for finding that. Fixed.

The reason I see password not to be included is because any wallet that did not include pin or password to access the wallet should not be recommended.

This is how we are doing on this forum, we recommend just the good wallets. Among the wallets that you mentioned on the table, only two wallets do not support password, I can not recommend such a wallet and I will not include it among.

Although , I will prefer a wallet to have a password which is separate from the device password.

I don't recommend all the hardware & software wallets that are listed in the website. I just compare them, so users have all the info to decide. In some cases, not having a password is not a big deal. For example Liana doesn't support password, but is a good wallet to learn about timelocks and miniscripts.

[moderator's note: consecutive posts merged]
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
Your website looks good. Few thoughts,

1. IMO width of column which contain wallet name could be smaller in order to show more column.
4. Electrum doesn't create BIP 39 12/24 words, but rather Electrum Seed (see https://electrum.readthedocs.io/en/latest/seedphrase.html) so "12 words seed creation" for Electrum should be updated.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
- There is no need to add APP LOCK as this feature is present in most phones and can be activated even if the software-wallet does not support it.
I disagree, it's very important to have an app lock as an extra protection. Also, take into account that some wallets are for desktop. And the app lock is usually related with an encryption of the keys on the device.

There's no effective security chip on desktops - the closest we have is Trusted Platform Module for PCs but this is not exposed by any well-known API so that means wallets and most other software can't make any use of it. On Macs there's the T2 security chip which I think has better exposure to software than the TPM, but what's the point of making a wallet only for Macs?

So app lock is going to be quite hard to find on desktop wallets (unless you are talking about auto-locking after inactivity).
legendary
Since we are talking about crypto-software-wallets, there is no need to mention LAUNCH YEAR/COMPANY/HEADQUARTERS/X (TWITTER),...etc
Why not?
I think it depends on how you want it, in my opinion. But it is because these are not the criteria to be used to know if a wallet is good or not.

The reason I see password not to be included is because any wallet that did not include pin or password to access the wallet should not be recommended.

This is how we are doing on this forum, we recommend just the good wallets. Among the wallets that you mentioned on the table, only two wallets do not support password, I can not recommend such a wallet and I will not include it among.

Although , I will prefer a wallet to have a password which is separate from the device password.
Good list, is the code open source or are there plans to translate it, I can help with that if possible.
Sorry, for now, no plans to open source it.

Since we are talking about crypto-software-wallets, there is no need to mention LAUNCH YEAR/COMPANY/HEADQUARTERS/X (TWITTER),...etc
Why not?

- In LIGHTNING NETWORK, I would like to add whether it is non-custodial or custodial
This could be a good addition.

- There is no need to add APP LOCK as this feature is present in most phones and can be activated even if the software-wallet does not support it.
Activity: 378
Merit: 93
Enable v2transport=1 and mempoolfullrbf=1
Well done on the site!  It's a little difficult to fit all the categories even on a big screen, but that just means you did a thorough job.

A few notes on partial support:  Wasabi has partial support for QR code scanning (Windows and Linux only, not Mac) and partial support for Taproot (seed import and internal addresses only, external addresses are always Segwitv0).
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 3645
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
Good list, is the code open source or are there plans to translate it, I can help with that if possible.

- In LIGHTNING NETWORK, I would like to add whether it is non-custodial or custodial
 - No need to add a QR Scanner

I almost liked the PRIVATE KEYS section, it's the first time I've found such details.
There is an extended list by ---> https://walletscrutiny.com/ you can check out.
Moved the topic to the new board.

Also added Envoy wallet to the comparison.
legendary
If you scroll down, you will see move topic at the left side. But this thread is already on the wallet software board.
In this new website I compare, feature by feature, the most popular Bitcoin Software Wallets: https://thebitcoinhole.com/software-wallets
I see you decided to expand your website from only hardware wallets to software wallets and other bitcoin related stuff.
My suggestion is to move this topic to main Wallet Software board, since we can all see several desktop wallets on your website.
You can also add few more software wallets like Unstoppable.money, and divide them into android and desktop category.
I will think about more good wallets later and post them here.

Yes, I picked the wrong board. Any way to move the topic or I need to start a new one?

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
In this new website I compare, feature by feature, the most popular Bitcoin Software Wallets: https://thebitcoinhole.com/software-wallets
I see you decided to expand your website from only hardware wallets to software wallets and other bitcoin related stuff.
My suggestion is to move this topic to main Wallet Software board, since we can all see several desktop wallets on your website.
You can also add few more software wallets like Unstoppable.money, and divide them into android and desktop category.
I will think about more good wallets later and post them here.
RBF was introduced in their latest version (I guess), but CPFP was removed.

How can I bump the transaction fee with child pays for parent (CPFP)?
Since Wasabi version 2.0.4 this FAQ is now obsolete because of the new Speed Up Transaction feature that can be used.

Here they say they support RBF and CPFP: https://docs.wasabiwallet.io/using-wasabi/Send.html#speed-up-or-cancel-transaction
Pages:
Jump to: