Pages:
Author

Topic: 1DkyBEKt5S2GDtv7aQw6rQepAvnsRyHoYM - page 24. (Read 85720 times)

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1008
August 19, 2012, 12:56:36 PM
Wrong. It costed a big fat zero.
The 0.01022427 value is the change lol
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/16394734/d2f25503cf1ddf56c65635d449b17c72c32e696cd7f4fca1aeb94392675f19ba
Fees    0 BTC
Or maybe he sent 0.01022427 BTC and 100,000 BTC is the change...
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
August 19, 2012, 08:06:29 AM
Can't claim it, got it off the "Putting your money where Pirate's mouth is" thread, but it neatly sums up my estimation of tomorrow's events, so I blatantly stole it for use here. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
August 19, 2012, 07:57:39 AM

(view image for full size)

Wow, awesome pic!
August 19, 2012, 03:19:23 AM
Hey guys I've been away from bitcoin for approx 1 year (was a GPU miner before that).  Is there a thread explaining all this pirate stuff?  I have no idea what's going on.

The details are scattered everywhere, but the basic run down is that Pirateat40 created this thing, that he calls Bitcoin Savings and Trust. He accepts deposits, and was originally offering up to 7% weekly interest. He now has control of a significant percentage of the world's Bitcoin supply, and has announced that starting Monday, he will be shutting down business and returning the investments, along with any owed interest. It is speculated that:

He is (was) running a Ponzi.
He is (was) running a money laundering scheme.
He is (was) running a legit investment scheme to allow big players to enter the market without drastically distorting it.
He will be returning all the money come monday, and everyone will end up happy.
He will be (and indeed may already have started) running off with all the money, and nobody ends up happy.

Among other things. Basically, Grab some popcorn, you've come back at the right time.

Except for Pirate, of course.

True. I thought about changing that, but by the time I realized, it was too late, so, meh.
(view image for full size)

HAHAHAHA oh WOW.  This is indeed funny.  Caveat emptor indeed in the wild west of a new economy. Thanks for taking the time to explain things.

No problem. Like I said, It's a fun time to be watching from the sidelines.

He's famous for that. Thanks from me too.

Smiley
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
August 19, 2012, 03:17:39 AM
Thanks for taking the time to explain things.

He's famous for that. Thanks from me too.
Activity: 672
Merit: 258
https://cryptassist.io
August 19, 2012, 03:13:59 AM
Hey guys I've been away from bitcoin for approx 1 year (was a GPU miner before that).  Is there a thread explaining all this pirate stuff?  I have no idea what's going on.

The details are scattered everywhere, but the basic run down is that Pirateat40 created this thing, that he calls Bitcoin Savings and Trust. He accepts deposits, and was originally offering up to 7% weekly interest. He now has control of a significant percentage of the world's Bitcoin supply, and has announced that starting Monday, he will be shutting down business and returning the investments, along with any owed interest. It is speculated that:

He is (was) running a legit investment scheme to allow big players to enter the market without drastically distorting it.
He will be (and indeed may already have started) running off with all the money, and nobody ends up happy.

Among other things. Basically, Grab some popcorn, you've come back at the right time.

HAHAHAHA oh WOW.  This is indeed funny.  Caveat emptor indeed in the wild west of a new economy. Thanks for taking the time to explain things.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
August 19, 2012, 03:13:10 AM

He probably will be paranoid and worried of being caught from stealing that much $, so he may not be happy either lol
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
August 19, 2012, 03:11:51 AM

donator
Activity: 289
Merit: 250
August 19, 2012, 03:02:46 AM
Hey guys I've been away from bitcoin for approx 1 year (was a GPU miner before that).  Is there a thread explaining all this pirate stuff?  I have no idea what's going on.

Wow, good luck. These days I find it hard to catch up after even a day of being away.
August 19, 2012, 02:54:24 AM

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
August 19, 2012, 02:53:27 AM

Pirate used to offer 7% interest / week, now that it's closing down there's not much incentive to buy bitcoin as a way to get 28% interest / month
Activity: 672
Merit: 258
https://cryptassist.io
August 19, 2012, 02:45:15 AM
Hey guys I've been away from bitcoin for approx 1 year (was a GPU miner before that).  Is there a thread explaining all this pirate stuff?  I have no idea what's going on.
August 19, 2012, 02:09:27 AM
Which would make even more sense if ASIC devs were the ones now selling coins, before they obliterate the market by releasing them.

I'm bullish, but sometimes I wonder if I should just shut my mouth...

Relax. Worst case scenario, difficulty goes up. Hardly the end of Bitcoin.
Activity: 350
August 19, 2012, 01:57:38 AM
Aliens could have used special technology to simply append them to the block chain too. 

You can not always prove a negative, but as no ASIC's have been seen in the wild I doubt that they have been doing 28% of the hashing for 9 months.

You're probably right. Still, if you'd invented a money tree, would you sell the seeds?

Only if selling the seeds got me more money than I could make off the trees.

Sell the seeds, buy gold. ('cause the money's gonna be worthless when that next crop comes in)

Which would make even more sense if ASIC devs were the ones now selling coins, before they obliterate the market by releasing them.

I'm bullish, but sometimes I wonder if I should just shut my mouth...
August 19, 2012, 01:50:12 AM
Aliens could have used special technology to simply append them to the block chain too. 

You can not always prove a negative, but as no ASIC's have been seen in the wild I doubt that they have been doing 28% of the hashing for 9 months.

You're probably right. Still, if you'd invented a money tree, would you sell the seeds?

Sell the seeds, buy gold. ('cause the money's gonna be worthless when that next crop comes in)
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Drunk Posts
August 19, 2012, 01:46:21 AM

August 19, 2012, 01:27:37 AM

legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004
August 19, 2012, 01:10:23 AM
Has anyone considered that it may be something else entirely?

ASIC miners were supposed to come out at the end of last year. If the group that's built them is hoarding and using them, instead of selling them, that'd explain why so many of these coins are brand new & how they amassed so many so quickly. In which case, we wouldn't have any idea what they plan to do with them - maybe they're going to start a traditional-style bank, or fund some big new initiative to bring BTC into the real world.

Food for thought. Wink

Edit - did the math, over 9 months they would need to have accounted for about 28% of the total network power to accumulate all those coins purely through mining. A lot less if they're trading them for profit. Is it feasible?

Those coins are not from ASIC mining.

You sounds pretty sure.

August 19, 2012, 01:07:01 AM
Has anyone considered that it may be something else entirely?

ASIC miners were supposed to come out at the end of last year. If the group that's built them is hoarding and using them, instead of selling them, that'd explain why so many of these coins are brand new & how they amassed so many so quickly. In which case, we wouldn't have any idea what they plan to do with them - maybe they're going to start a traditional-style bank, or fund some big new initiative to bring BTC into the real world.

Food for thought. Wink

Edit - did the math, over 9 months they would need to have accounted for about 28% of the total network power to accumulate all those coins purely through mining. A lot less if they're trading them for profit. Is it feasible?

Those coins are not from ASIC mining.

You sounds pretty sure.
Activity: 686
Merit: 501
TokenUnion-Get Rewarded for Holding Crypto
August 19, 2012, 01:05:06 AM
Someone with at least 10k BTC placed a wall.

Perhaps it is the same person?
Pages:
Jump to: