Pages:
Author

Topic: 200,000 people apply to be first to live on Mars - page 6. (Read 7520 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 500
Lol and they will all die. It's like swimming on the ship more than half year You get crazy Cheesy
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Earth is finite, outer space is not therefore it is in the humankind's best interest that we inhabit other planets and evolve according to those needs of newer planets.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
It's a nice idea but I think we're quite a few years away from a manned mission to Mars. At least the first settlers will have the benefit of being able to send BTC home - unfortunately anything they buy would not be arriving with them any time soon....
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071
i will go..
but only if the other 3 are hot chicks...oh yeah ;>

You'd be screwed if they were married or had boyfriends though Tongue

Why? Unless they would be on one of the next flights in, it's not like they would be seeing each other again.  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
i will go..

You'd be screwed if they were married or had boyfriends though Tongue
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
i will go..
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
With more than 6.5 billion people living on Earth and that number increasing all the time, our planet is quickly becoming overcrowded.

We've been over 7 billion people for about a year now.

So it seems reasonable, notwithstanding the monstrous technical challenges it would present, that we might one day start to look beyond our planet for future housing solutions.

We are not looking at colonizing other planets to reduce the population of earth - that is a logistical impossibility.  We colonize to ensure the continuance of our race.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195
With more than 6.5 billion people living on Earth and that number increasing all the time, our planet is quickly becoming overcrowded.

It's really not becoming overcrowded at all. In the future we may struggle with food shortages, but that's a long way off.
Activity: 182
Merit: 101
With more than 6.5 billion people living on Earth and that number increasing all the time, our planet is quickly becoming overcrowded. So it seems reasonable, notwithstanding the monstrous technical challenges it would present, that we might one day start to look beyond our planet for future housing solutions. But why would we consider Mars? True, it's relatively nearby, galactically speaking; we know a lot about it already; it at least used to be a bit more like us; and it even has two moons (Phobos and Deimos) to hit us in the eyes like big pizza pies -- but Mars? Who knows? Perhaps inhabiting the red planet might be a more realistic housing option than it might seem at first blush. Perhaps one day we'll have no choice but to pack up and leave the planet.

But let's not kid ourselves. Thus far, nothing's changed about Mars. It's still the same inhospitable, rocky, barren place it was yesterday, last week or a thousand years ago. It's quite cold, has a terribly thin atmosphere, has essentially no magnetic field and provides no oceans in which to jet-ski. If we do want to live on Mars, it's not exactly rolling out the welcome mat.

So, clearly, terraforming Mars would be an incredibly daunting task. In order to recreate the planet as a kind of second Earth, we would need to address its atmospheric shortcomings and warm its frozen surface. Scientists, ever on the task, have proposed a number of schemes to induce a Martian greenhouse effect, ranging from the use of oxygen factories to crashing an asteroid into one of its poles. The idea in either case being, of course, that in time the greenhouse effect would thicken the atmosphere and warm the planet, bringing it a little closer to the kind of habitable conditions present on the third rock from the sun. We'd also need to work out the most efficient homes to build; the best way to feed ourselves and a host of other questions. It also wouldn't hurt if we improved our space travel technology so we could shuttle between Earth and Mars a bit more easily during all of this terraforming work. Daunting, indeed.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
I'm sure I read something ages ago about them turning this into a reality TV show. Could be BS as I don't see how it's feasible.

Living on Mars, months away from any kind of emergency assistance, is about as real as it gets.   Wink

Just add an automated escape pod with room for only one person on Mars to see what would happen for the Live Martian TV show.... The launch card will be hidden on top of Mt Olympus... GO!

how dafauq would they get to it? Cheesy
Mt Olympus is like 20 000 m high Cheesy

Every time a "participant" would drop from Mt Olympus all the way down to his death, the Wilikon FlyCam© will follow him live... For 20 min! People on Earth would do the count down just like for new year's eve, for the last few feet. The participant will have plenty of time discussing his favorite classic lady gaga tracks and thanking his sponsors before impact.

Don't you feel the excitement already? It would be the ultimate reality TV show.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
So since this is a one way trip i wonder what kind of people apply anyway...
legendary

Well, they should be able to jump higher on Mars (I think)...  Tongue
Activity: 196
Merit: 101
I'm sure I read something ages ago about them turning this into a reality TV show. Could be BS as I don't see how it's feasible.

Living on Mars, months away from any kind of emergency assistance, is about as real as it gets.   Wink

Just add an automated escape pod with room for only one person on Mars to see what would happen for the Live Martian TV show.... The launch card will be hidden on top of Mt Olympus... GO!

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Living on Mars, months away from any kind of emergency assistance, is about as real as it gets.   Wink

Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970

Living on Mars, months away from any kind of emergency assistance, is about as real as it gets.   Wink
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195
legendary
Holy sh...

Don't have access to internet, phones, TV, radio, even no newspapers or... oh my God... nothing Cheesy
I think they aren't be able to procreate too. And live in little pod without chance to get back on Earth anymore.
Only desperados can accept that offer  Roll Eyes

Well, I imagine they could still get internet, etc... lag time would be awful though, so they probably aren't going to be able to spend all day playing LoL. As for living space, I guess that as additional modules arrive (and more people), they would have more of it, and more options... assuming they survive the voyage and stay long enough.
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
Do they accept Bitcoins?

The catch: They won’t ever come back.

That is scary, why would someone do that, wasting their whole life away from this beautiful planet.

I would bet people in Europe were saying the exact same thing every time they saw ships sailing away for new lands, facing sea monsters, the edge of the world and starving mutineers 100 of years ago... Technically, at least in theory (hahaha!) they know more about their destination on Mars than explorers back then Cheesy

Ultimate anarchism is to have total control of one's life AND one's death I would believe. Of course I cannot fathom why so many people would be pretty much ready to die or being eaten by each other, but this is ultimately their choice. As long as they don't ask me to pay for a bailout if they change their mind once over there.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Holy sh...

Don't have access to internet, phones, TV, radio, even no newspapers or... oh my God... nothing Cheesy
I think they aren't be able to procreate too. And live in little pod without chance to get back on Earth anymore.
Only desperados can accept that offer  Roll Eyes
Pages:
Jump to: