Author

Topic: 2019 NBA Pre-Season - page 2104. (Read 902697 times)

legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 1127
April 27, 2020, 06:54:54 PM

I prefer the same thing but era had changed where even most positions are already capable on shooting 3's or shall we say that they do already had that kind of versatility when it comes to shooting capabilities.
Honestly speaking its quite boring if we cant feel the thrill specially with body contacts and strong defenses between the teams but well there's always a change.

The Finals during the last season of Lebron with the cavaliers was boring, Warriors dominated them very well and it wasn't physical as I like to see.
Warriors shooting 3s very well, all of them, Durant, Curry, and Thompson were all good shooters, look at Thompson learning how to drive the ball inside, he got injured because he was not used to playing more physical, so players nowadays try to avoid that as they don't want to risk their future.

they got paid very big for a soft sport. hilarious...

hopefully NBA will revise some rules and make NBA as exciting as before again. Miss the bad boys Pistons style of play.

Fully agree into your sentiment which is totally true.Its understandable if a certain player do play its role (shooting guard) but when all players of the team are doing the same thing then its not really enjoying to watch and same as you said where its already boring.I dont think that there would be some reversion of rules when it comes to this because its part of the playstyle as long the said player is capable on doing of.
Of course if you are a player you would surely take care of your career and avoid injury as much you can because you do know on whats on stake if accident do happen.
Activity: 2856
Merit: 674
April 27, 2020, 06:35:30 PM

I prefer the same thing but era had changed where even most positions are already capable on shooting 3's or shall we say that they do already had that kind of versatility when it comes to shooting capabilities.
Honestly speaking its quite boring if we cant feel the thrill specially with body contacts and strong defenses between the teams but well there's always a change.

The Finals during the last season of Lebron with the cavaliers was boring, Warriors dominated them very well and it wasn't physical as I like to see.
Warriors shooting 3s very well, all of them, Durant, Curry, and Thompson were all good shooters, look at Thompson learning how to drive the ball inside, he got injured because he was not used to playing more physical, so players nowadays try to avoid that as they don't want to risk their future.

they got paid very big for a soft sport. hilarious...

hopefully NBA will revise some rules and make NBA as exciting as before again. Miss the bad boys Pistons style of play.
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 1127
April 27, 2020, 06:25:03 PM
It also connects with the soft defense by now.

The old type of basketball is more fun, it should be physical and most points should be taken from the inside as it would bring more intensity to the game.
Nowadays, scoring is quite effortless especially if a player is a good ball handler and a 3 point shooting, I doubt curry would be popular if he was born during the time of Jordan.
Activity: 1568
Merit: 283
April 27, 2020, 03:08:18 PM
Jordan and Kobe both gave success to their team, but will that kind of mentality now still works?
The warriors was the latest good example, there's no I in that team and they beat a team with an I which is team Lebron.
That killer instinct that has always been talked about when considering MJ and Kobe is something very special, it really doesn't have a big list, those two are probably the only ones. Moreover, Wilt Chamberlein is probably the first player I can think of who had raw talent, very good, managed many things, but always lost to Russell, why? Because Wilt was basically out there to do whatever he can, not whatever team can achieve.

The biggest example I can think of is Shaq, that dude probably had the greatest talent I have ever seen with my own eyes, probably a talent we will NEVER see again, he was just that good, yet dude was as lazy as it gets and as spoiled as it gets as well. Lebron is awesome right?

Well, he likes to whine about his teammates all the time as well and did so many PR moves instead of trying to just be winner about it, even though he managed to will his team into finals, he was simply a baby about it most of the times. Yet even with all of that said, an MJ or a Kobe is not enough for a championship, they had many years they didn't win a single thing, you always need some decent players around them to win.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 5937
April 27, 2020, 11:53:38 AM
If you are a 3 point shooter you have so much options when you do the hesitation move.
Unlike when it was at Jordan's era. The defense is so tight that you will need to push the player a little to gain some space.
Just watched The Last Dance episodes 3 and 4 and I am glad that they gave considerable amount of time to Detroit vs Bulls rivalry, so people can see how tough basketball was back then. Changing hand-checking rule back in 2004 changed NBA forever. And for the worse I would say. Just imagine Jordan now, with all this rules where defensive player can't even look bad at you Cheesy.

Regarding documentary, even after 4 episodes this might end up as one of the best sports documentaries ever. But I have one complaint (actually two, but they are kinda connected)- in 4 episodes so far, no Kukoc at all. One  can argue that he is not there yet as they still didn't reach the time when he came (1994), but then there is Steve Kerr, guy that came to Bulls in 1993, and never was an important part of Bulls (he was an elite 3 pts shooter but never used much). I guess he is there because he won those titles with GSW so he is popular now and makes sense from the commercial point of view.
But this documentary is also about that 1997-1998 season, where Kukoc was 3rd best shooter, 3rd best in rebounds  and 2nd in assists. At the time he came to Bulls he was the best European player ever at that age, he won everything that it was there to win, and yet, as many great Euro player, he was misused and heavily underappreciated. Hell, he was even cropped out of that famous picture that was used as documentary promo poster ( Kukoc and Harper cropped, Jackson and Kerr added). I hope we see a bit of Kukoc when they reach 1992 and that famous Dream Team. Kukoc would dominate today's NBA  with his skill set, he was player ahead of his time.

The old type of basketball is more fun, it should be physical and most points should be taken from the inside as it would bring more intensity to the game.
Nowadays, scoring is quite effortless especially if a player is a good ball handler and a 3 point shooting, I doubt curry would be popular if he was born during the time of Jordan.
I agree, but unfortunately, NBA thought differently, so was majority of the fans back then, from what i can remember. They really disliked  tough and hardworking teams.
Activity: 2912
Merit: 613
Winding down.
April 27, 2020, 09:32:01 AM

Activity: 3024
Merit: 651
April 27, 2020, 09:22:35 AM
I think the NBA style now has evolved, the I and the ME will not work anymore effective with the current system.

If we have observed, most points now are already coming from 3 point spot and some from jump shot, only few players now really drive in the paint since we have a lot of big centers now compared in the past IMO. In addition, players developing their 3 point shooting, that makes them so confident with taking the shot.

If you are a 3 point shooter you have so much options when you do the hesitation move.
Unlike when it was at Jordan's era. The defense is so tight that you will need to push the player a little to gain some space. i.e. Utah Jazz Bryon Russell against the winning shot of Jordan.
We all saw it, there is small push that happened there.

Now, you are a sharp shooter, you hesitate, you can force it to the paint leaving the opponent.
Why? Because there is a need for a space and they cannot touch you unless you are at the painted area.
Even centers are doing it now.
Activity: 3164
Merit: 660
Live with peace and enjoy life!
April 27, 2020, 08:56:55 AM
I think the NBA style now has evolved, the I and the ME will not work anymore effective with the current system.

If we have observed, most points now are already coming from 3 point spot and some from jump shot, only few players now really drive in the paint since we have a lot of big centers now compared in the past IMO. In addition, players developing their 3 point shooting, that makes them so confident with taking the shot.
Activity: 2954
Merit: 672
Message @Hhampuz if you are looking for a CM!
April 27, 2020, 08:05:42 AM
Do you believe that GOAT mentality would bring the team's to its success?

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1254636528388542464/photo/1

Jordan and Kobe both gave success to their team, but will that kind of mentality now still works?
The warriors was the latest good example, there's no I in that team and they beat a team with an I which is team Lebron.
April 27, 2020, 01:25:48 AM
This is hilarious.  Grin Had fun reading all the reactions of this players. It's like they became a kid of the 90's again.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-players-react-to-the-last-dance-episodes-3-and-4/
Just putting one example from the link.

Say what you want Dennis Rodman invented load management 😂😂😂😂😂

— Donovan Mitchell (@spidadmitchell) April 27, 2020

Please do share if you have links of more fun reactions from NBA players, coaches or even celebrities.
Reading them takes the stress out from this quarantine boredom.

Activity: 1456
Merit: 267
Buy $BGL before it's too late!
April 27, 2020, 12:09:28 AM

That is also why we can't do much but just analyze players now. Like KD and LBJ which is being discussed just a page away.  Grin

-Snip-
So the chance that this players will be able to run again and execute practices are possible now. Good to know that if the government allows them without any prohibitions they can workout and begin to plan their next steps. A good sign though is not yet clear that the entire league will be resuming
since the pandemic virus still on the spread and vaccine still unavailable.

At least they are now back on their practices but still the season is questionable on when the season start again maybe for entertainment they should released a clips on their practices or behind the scene so that their fans could see a glimpse on what's happening on them. I'm really excited to see the action back so hopefully this disease things will end soon.
Or also chances that before the resume those highlights from the practices will be circulated, we know that social media sites are been used as a good channel to upload updates from each teams who already have the pass from the government to attend practices.
As a fan, I wanted to see how this players really excited to play again with their teammates hope to see all those bloopers while working out.
Activity: 3052
Merit: 606
April 26, 2020, 07:11:51 PM
There is like three teams or so that can do it, Orlando and Miami and one more I am forgetting that is not really all that inclusive. Sure maybe those teams could start practicing but I think it would still be a safe distance between each other Cheesy. I doubt anyone would want to work on their post up during this pandemic Cheesy.
That's not a practice anymore, social distancing if they like to follow it, they need to stay at home, basketball is a close contact game, what they need to ensure is that those players are free from covid so it will not infect the whole team.

I would have advise only to come back to team training when all teams are allowed by the government, if only a few of them can do it doesn't it create some disadvantage to other teams when they get back, few teams will be basically fully ready and doing 5 on 5 practices yet some teams will basically fish out of water and that is why I do not really think it would be fair. In the end we have only 20 games left, and being out of shape would really hurt everyone involved.

We can't seem to expect that the government will lift the quarantine soon as the number of cases in US are still growing steadily.
And with the huge number of positive cases, it's not safe to host games where crowd is the main source of income.
Activity: 2618
Merit: 335
April 26, 2020, 01:44:52 PM
There is like three teams or so that can do it, Orlando and Miami and one more I am forgetting that is not really all that inclusive. Sure maybe those teams could start practicing but I think it would still be a safe distance between each other Cheesy. I doubt anyone would want to work on their post up during this pandemic Cheesy.

I would have advise only to come back to team training when all teams are allowed by the government, if only a few of them can do it doesn't it create some disadvantage to other teams when they get back, few teams will be basically fully ready and doing 5 on 5 practices yet some teams will basically fish out of water and that is why I do not really think it would be fair. In the end we have only 20 games left, and being out of shape would really hurt everyone involved.
April 26, 2020, 11:57:54 AM
What do you think of this guys?

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2020/04/26/lamelo-ball-rumors-washington-wizards-2020-nba-draft-news-nbl-report-scout/
I dont trust the link since its named lonzowire.
So I look deeper and found this.
https://www.ibtimes.com/nba-rumors-wizards-appear-determined-draft-lamelo-ball-2964834

Looks to me like they are really determined to do it.
But why leak it? A chance of getting him may go 50/50 since they are on the 9th spot of draft lottery.
Or is it best to tell every team that they want this kid in their roster?
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1292
Hhampuz for Campaign management
April 26, 2020, 08:47:29 AM
Yeah right, everyone missed seeing the NBA games all this time. I guess after all of this pandemic are done, every seat in the coliseum will be filled. There will be also some high consumers watching NBA online in the NBA TV. Everything about NBA will be alive again,
We can't be sure that everything will be back to normal, unless the end of the pandemic is because there is a vaccine already, if not, then things will not be back to normal fully. If they'll pursue to resume, most people would just prefer to watch it live and pay for the subscription fee, that way they are safe.

Thankfully no players have been hit hard by the virus and most of the infected players are now recovering. we can expect to see some great play again soon especially from those stars players.

I think all of them have recovered already.
Activity: 2184
Merit: 585
You own the pen
April 26, 2020, 08:33:35 AM
Nevertheless, delaying the season makes the viewer more excited about the upcoming season. Better for us to wait until this pandemic ends.
Delaying means the season will still resume, we will not be seeing a new season yet, this season will just be shortened but we will see the full playoffs schedule I guess because that matters a lot, and the NBA finals could earn a lot of viewers as that's where people show how they miss the NBA.

Yeah right, everyone missed seeing the NBA games all this time. I guess after all of this pandemic are done, every seat in the coliseum will be filled. There will be also some high consumers watching NBA online in the NBA TV. Everything about NBA will be alive again, Thankfully no players have been hit hard by the virus and most of the infected players are now recovering. we can expect to see some great play again soon especially from those stars players.
Activity: 3052
Merit: 606
April 26, 2020, 06:48:24 AM
What could be an issue if this pandemic ends? I can't think of it, maybe a war?
There's no war, unless this pandemic is later found out that it's man made to destroy a certain countries economy, but i don't think whoever will investigate will be able to prove that.

Whatever it is, the fans will surely buy their tickets for the first match of it and will definitely show how much they've missed the league. That's true support from the fans and how they really love the sport and NBA.
The support is their but fans would not go to the venue if there's no vaccine available yet.
April 26, 2020, 06:27:37 AM

There will be some restrictions:
  • Only individual sessions, no group practices
  • It is on voluntary basis, so each player can decide for himself
  • Since it will be only available in areas where stay-at-home orders are loosened, teams from big cities with highest amount of covid 19 cases won't be able to join then anytime soon (like New York, Philadelphia  etc).

According to Wojnarowski, despite all this we are still not any closer to season resumption, but Ill take anything at the moment.
NBA's decision on opening practice facilities to players in markets where governments may be loosening stay-at-home orders doesn't mean a resumption of season is imminent. The NBA is still unsure on if/when it can play again. But getting players safely into gyms was a priority.
Source

Yeah, team plays will not be worked out.
Shadow basketball is what will happen.
Still, I consider that as a good sign that we are near in ending this virus thing.

Some of them may be living in condominiums alone and that is why they are giving this opportunity.
Unlike other players with homes where they could dribble and run in a spacious land.
They just don't want their players get rusty.  Grin
Activity: 2632
Merit: 787
Jack of all trades 💯
April 26, 2020, 05:03:51 AM

That is also why we can't do much but just analyze players now. Like KD and LBJ which is being discussed just a page away.  Grin

All we can do is wait.
We can speculate everything but in the end it will be the US government decision and NBA management into when they will continue the season.
Yeah, that means they will need to abide by the rules of what the government tells them.

Here is one good news.
They could stretch those legs now.
https://secure.nba.com/article/2020/04/25/report-players-could-return-team-facilities-soon

MIAMI (AP) — NBA players will be allowed to return to team training facilities starting Friday, provided that their local governments do not have a stay-at-home order prohibiting such movement still in place as part of the response to the coronavirus pandemic.
So the chance that this players will be able to run again and execute practices are possible now. Good to know that if the government allows them without any prohibitions they can workout and begin to plan their next steps. A good sign though is not yet clear that the entire league will be resuming
since the pandemic virus still on the spread and vaccine still unavailable.

At least they are now back on their practices but still the season is questionable on when the season start again maybe for entertainment they should released a clips on their practices or behind the scene so that their fans could see a glimpse on what's happening on them. I'm really excited to see the action back so hopefully this disease things will end soon.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 5937
April 26, 2020, 04:18:30 AM
Good news indeed and step in right direction, as even if season continues, players will need some time to prepare. It has many restrictions though and it's not like they will just jump into it normally, but I am sure that players will be happy with that. Small steps Smiley

So the chance that this players will be able to run again and execute practices are possible now. Good to know that if the government allows them without any prohibitions they can workout and begin to plan their next steps.
There will be some restrictions:
  • Only individual sessions, no group practices
  • It is on voluntary basis, so each player can decide for himself
  • Since it will be only available in areas where stay-at-home orders are loosened, teams from big cities with highest amount of covid 19 cases won't be able to join then anytime soon (like New York, Philadelphia  etc).

According to Wojnarowski, despite all this we are still not any closer to season resumption, but Ill take anything at the moment.
NBA's decision on opening practice facilities to players in markets where governments may be loosening stay-at-home orders doesn't mean a resumption of season is imminent. The NBA is still unsure on if/when it can play again. But getting players safely into gyms was a priority.
Source
Jump to: