Pages:
Author

Topic: [307.79 LTC + 0.063 BTC Awarded] Litecoin wallet for Android - page 4. (Read 8540 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Manateeeeeeees
First transaction worked on the phone!

Manateeeeeeees
Ug syncing is going to take hours.  I guess that's the problem with having blocks solved at a higher rate.  Currently 1% done after 20 minutes or so.
Manateeeeeeees
This is from my phone (not an emulator).  Looks like things are going well so far.  I'm going to let it sync with the blockchain for a bit now.  It's probably going to take an hour plus.

legendary
Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000
Live and enjoy experiments
211.5 LTC added to the bounty so far.

I'll add 77 LTC to the bounty. Let me know which address to send.

The address is in the first post.

I'll contribute as well. Just waiting for my BTC-e withdrawal to confirm...
Sent 78.49 LTC  to LTCmeAofhGojvv4Gahazxf4ZdKzdFgzuNj
Activity: 168
Merit: 100

The address is in the first post.

I'll contribute as well. Just waiting for my BTC-e withdrawal to confirm...

/E; Contributed with 7.9 LTC
legendary
Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000
Live and enjoy experiments

Manateeeeeeees
Preliminary work done, now moving on to actual tests!

Activity: 185
In the meantime, I'd love to just get a litecoin-only version on the play store so people could start using it.  Do you think the current state of litecoinj is ready for that?  I'll start poking at that today and see if I can get it working on my phone, and if I can, I'll release it so other can try it.

Yes. In fact, no changes need to be made to the current wallet code, it just needs to be pointed to litecoinj instead of bitcoinj and it should work. (Do not put a bunch of litecoins in the wallet though, it hasn't been tested enough for me to guarantee nothing will get lost. Also the litecoin testnet seems to be dead.)

In other news, it the Bitcoinj devs are deliberating on whether they want to include support for litecoin, but they seem to be leaning towards no. If they decide against it, I may maintain a clone that has support for both.
Manateeeeeeees
This is a great idea. i don't currently own ltc, is there a btc bounty address?
Added.

Awesome. I've put $6 for starters. Lets get this thing going! It would be even better if we can have an intergrated BTC/LTC client!

That's what I'm working towards. My litecoinj is essentially done, so now I'm trying to cleanly integrate it into bitcoinj, which would allow the current android bitcoin wallet to handle litecoin with very few changes.

In the meantime, I'd love to just get a litecoin-only version on the play store so people could start using it.  Do you think the current state of litecoinj is ready for that?  I'll start poking at that today and see if I can get it working on my phone, and if I can, I'll release it so other can try it.
legendary
Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014
Obviously one integrated app is best so I'd like to amend this bounty to add the below condition. If you contributed to this bounty or have been coding and object to this change, please post your concerns. If there are no objections within the week, we'll consider it amended.

Proposed amendment:

Code:
7. If this wallet is based on an existing Bitcoin app, the bounty will only be awarded if the original release is amended to support Litecoin. In this case, the bounty will be split equally between the existing app maintainer and other contributing developers. For example if there is one app maintainer and two contributors to the Litecoin support upgrade each will receive 33.3% of the bounty.

Thanks,

weex
Activity: 483
Merit: 501
Adapting a version of Bitcoin Wallet that uses litecoinj rather than bitcoinj should be fairly easy, anyone can do that and collect the bounty.

However, my vision is a bit more sophisticated: Rather than having separate apps for each chain, I want to use only one app that integrates everything payment-related.

In order to get there, we need to

1. get litecoinj merged into bitcoinj
2. extend Bitcoin Wallet to support multiple wallets
3. extend Bitcoin Wallet to support multiple chains
4. get litecoin on the latest protocol

ad 1: I think it would be best if someone would speak up on the bitcoinj mailing list and explain the plans (Alex?). Usually Mike, the lead developer, has very valuable feedback. Be prepared to write a lot of unit tests, if you haven't done already.

ad 2: This is something that has to happen anyways. Its kind of a prerequisite for encrypted wallets and HD wallets, and of course also multiple chains. I plan to work on it as soon as Bitcoin Wallet version 3.0 is released (hopefully within a month).

ad 3: I had this already planned as well. Currently I'm already maintaining two apps (Prodnet and Testnet), and its a pita sometimes. The tricky part here will be memory consumption and resources in general. Its already stressful to download one chain, but multiple chains? It's safe to assume that you will need powerful (Jelly Bean class) hardware for this.

ad 4: Protocol version 70001 (Bitcoind/bitcoin-qt 0.8.x) contains a very important enhancement for SPV clients called Bloom Filters. It saves a huge amount of traffic, RAM and CPU cycles. Without these optimizations, mobile clients simply can't scale. What's the plan with litecoin for this?
legendary
This was found by Jasinlee on the devcoin wiki http://devtome.org

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=litecoin_android_lite_wallet

That cropped up tonight, was there any bounty outstanding for an open source, ltc wallet?

just thought you should know Smiley I don't have an android myself so can't test easily but this should be what you are after by initial browse of the page
This is a good step in making Litecoin transactions a bit easier on Android but it doesn't satisfy a very important part of the bounty.
2. Litecoin private keys should either be stored on the mobile device or an encrypted copy of them be downloaded and only decrypted on the device (like blockchain.info's client and web app).
Unfortunately, using an instawallet-style backend means the server has all of the private keys. From a security standpoint, t's ok to use these kinds of wallets for small amounts of LTC for short periods of time but they shouldn't be treated like a bank or checking account.
Activity: 742
Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3
I tested it on my Samsung Note 2, sent and received a ltc successfully.
legendary
Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010
This was found by Jasinlee on the devcoin wiki http://devtome.org

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=litecoin_android_lite_wallet

That cropped up tonight, was there any bounty outstanding for an open source, ltc wallet?

just thought you should know Smiley I don't have an android myself so can't test easily but this should be what you are after by initial browse of the page
Activity: 263
Merit: 250
I added 10 LTC to the bounty.  I personally will add more if the needed code becomes upstreamed in both bitcoinj and the Android wallet app.
Activity: 185
Added.

Awesome. I've put $6 for starters. Lets get this thing going! It would be even better if we can have an intergrated BTC/LTC client!

That's what I'm working towards. My litecoinj is essentially done, so now I'm trying to cleanly integrate it into bitcoinj, which would allow the current android bitcoin wallet to handle litecoin with very few changes.
Activity: 2044
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
Added.

legendary
Added.
Activity: 2044
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
Manateeeeeeees
If litecoinj gets done, I'd love to try my hand at re-coding a version of the android bitcoin client to use it.  I can release apps on Google Play currently.  Please keep me posted.
Pages:
Jump to: