Pages:
Author

Topic: $504000 per day (Read 16609 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 104
November 15, 2017, 09:07:42 AM
The miners are currently being paid an equivalent of about $324000 per day through the block reward. (about 90 USD per BTC, 25 BTC per block, 144 blocks per day)

Do you think this amount is a reasonable amount to keep the network going?

Edit: Changed title due to increased price.

year 2013  Smiley what a topic. nice old stats.  90 USD price Smiley
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
www.DonateMedia.org
April 13, 2013, 12:16:13 AM
hey friends, TRC was hit by one of the asics and is lagging and they put in a historical fix, and we just need to get through 2 Blocks, and we will be out of our bind.  but the increased difficulty has scared the miners away, if anyone could spare any mining power for half an hour for the TRC cause, it would be so helpful right now.

thank you

and I know TRC doesn't belong over on BTC

That will be a problem for the budding sub-currencies under Bitcoin as these super powerful devices come online. Those markets are too fragile to power dump on. Bitcoin went through a natural progression in size and computing power. LTC/TRC may have some headache as that high level tech is being applied to it way too early.

As far as most people know ASIC for LTC is not possible or is a far ways off due to different computational method.  It's the SHA256 cryptos that are getting bulldozed.

ASIC for Scrypt can be done, but it is so expensive to produce up front there is no way we'll see them for Litecoin anytime soon. It is likely Litecoin and others will follow a similar hardware path to Bitcoin from CPU
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
April 12, 2013, 10:21:50 AM
hey friends, TRC was hit by one of the asics and is lagging and they put in a historical fix, and we just need to get through 2 Blocks, and we will be out of our bind.  but the increased difficulty has scared the miners away, if anyone could spare any mining power for half an hour for the TRC cause, it would be so helpful right now.

thank you

This is bad for TRC Sad But what if someone will attack it again after the network gets back to normal?  Sad
www.DonateMedia.org
April 11, 2013, 06:38:59 AM

thank you

That will be a problem for the budding sub-currencies under Bitcoin as these super powerful devices come online. Those markets are too fragile to power dump on. Bitcoin went through a natural progression in size and computing power. LTC/TRC may have some headache as that high level tech is being applied to it way too early.

As far as most people know ASIC for LTC is not possible or is a far ways off due to different computational method.  It's the SHA256 cryptos that are getting bulldozed.

Possibly just a big FPGA rig is more likely
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
April 10, 2013, 03:45:19 PM

thank you

www.DonateMedia.org
April 10, 2013, 08:21:35 AM

thank you

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
We are connected. you are me I am you.
April 10, 2013, 08:12:59 AM

thank you

www.DonateMedia.org
April 10, 2013, 07:23:13 AM
As the currency war progresses, and Bitcoin keeps expanding, miners will be forced to start using their coin to buy the necessary hardware to stay competitive. Until now it was more or less a garage experiment that no one predicted would do what it's doing now. There was simply nothing much to do with BTC after you mined it in the early days as no one accepted them really, so it has just been piling up in these accounts a while.

But that is changing now with more and more merchants hopping on board, and competition due to the ASIC wave that is inbound will increase dramatically. Garage GPU mines will either move forward in the new industry and throw down the big bucks to go Pro, move to Litecoin/Terracoin or some other BTC derived economy, or just sell their rigs and shut down altogether.

Such short term thinking, keep focus on the larger picture and the Bitcoin protocol's viability looks a lot rosier. We are about to enter the big leagues here and will involve serious capital, spending within the network will increase as merchants make that available. I'm just waiting for a company like Newegg to start accepting them which will propel Bitcoin's legitimacy, and the real game will begin.

This is just the beginning of something like likes of which the world has never seen, I myself am going all in.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
April 09, 2013, 06:37:33 AM
Buy as main BTC as possible while waiting ASICs second gen to order as soon as its announced. It will be a gamble, but the reward will be much higher

Buying BTC at $130 is a huge gamble and unrealistic for a most people.  If I had the money to invest considerably in BTC at the current prices, I'd pony up for an existing ASIC.  But, as it stands, the mtgox price is down 2% already.

I think the takeaway for me is, I should have got into mining earlier and/or bought bitcoins at $10.  Just missed the boat.  Nobody to blame but myself.

What if you read this in a couple years when one BTC trades for $1000, $2000 or even more?
Sure it may not seem realistic right now but can you rule it out?
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
April 05, 2013, 11:03:39 AM

"Bad guys" will always have access to ASICs, one can't simply pretend away that threat.  Today if someone wanted to attack Bitcoin they wouldn't build a GPU farm they would fab some chips and build a smaller easier to manage ASIC farm.  It wouldn't matter if BFL and Avalon didn't exist an attacker would STILL go that route because it is the most economical.

Yep, but even "Bad Guys" have enemies/competitors that will counter-attack by supporting the network.

BINGO!!

Greed is a powerful thing. I doubt that there is only one entity going hard into ASICs, it will balance out.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
April 03, 2013, 04:51:30 PM
Buy as main BTC as possible while waiting ASICs second gen to order as soon as its announced. It will be a gamble, but the reward will be much higher

Buying BTC at $130 is a huge gamble and unrealistic for a most people.  If I had the money to invest considerably in BTC at the current prices, I'd pony up for an existing ASIC.  But, as it stands, the mtgox price is down 2% already.

I think the takeaway for me is, I should have got into mining earlier and/or bought bitcoins at $10.  Just missed the boat.  Nobody to blame but myself.

Excuse me but that's BS. I buy BTC at all prices, as soon as I get my paycheck, and it's been months now. What's expensive? I guarantee you that when I was buying at 14, 25, 33 or 65 something in my stomach was telling me "what a pity, now is more expensive", just because I knew that just a few months earlier it was WAY cheaper.

But you know what? My brain and my analysis always told me: THIS IS CHEAP COINS

And $140 it's still very cheap coins.

Wake up: there are only 11MBTC in circulation, and there will be a maximum of 21MBTC.

BUY
Activity: 140
April 03, 2013, 04:27:11 PM

Buying BTC at $130 is a huge gamble and unrealistic for a most people.  If I had the money to invest considerably in BTC at the current prices, I'd pony up for an existing ASIC.  But, as it stands, the mtgox price is down 2% already.

I think the takeaway for me is, I should have got into mining earlier and/or bought bitcoins at $10.  Just missed the boat.  Nobody to blame but myself.
legendary
April 03, 2013, 04:18:03 PM
Or buy an ASIC rig and enjoy  Smiley

^ This is the problem. 

I'm trying to get into mining, but roadblocks are pretty much everywhere.  ASIC's are being only shipped by one vendor, at the moment - Avalon - but in small numbers and those are all spoken for.  Most miners that have been mining a while can afford the $5k,$10k,$20k USD equivalent price (which keeps going up) for those machines due to the demand.  BFL has reasonably priced equipment, but hasn't really shipped anything and, in my opinion, isn't even close to shipping a real product that meets their advertised specs.  FPGA's and GPU's aren't cost effective to invest in at this point, due to the difficulty.  Besides, even if I wanted to buy FPGA's, hardly anyone is selling those anymore, either.

So really, there aren't options for new people interested in mining.  This "decentralized" currency is ending up in the hands of the few that actually have the few ASICs out.   Believe me, I'd love to "buy an ASIC rig and enjoy", but I can't reasonably do that.

Until more vendors are really shipping equipment or turning out more equipment than they have orders to fill, the ability for someone to break into mining now is slim to none.  That is simply the state of the scene right now.

Activity: 140
April 03, 2013, 04:12:24 PM
Or buy an ASIC rig and enjoy  Smiley

^ This is the problem. 

I'm trying to get into mining, but roadblocks are pretty much everywhere.  ASIC's are being only shipped by one vendor, at the moment - Avalon - but in small numbers and those are all spoken for.  Most miners that have been mining a while can afford the $5k,$10k,$20k USD equivalent price (which keeps going up) for those machines due to the demand.  BFL has reasonably priced equipment, but hasn't really shipped anything and, in my opinion, isn't even close to shipping a real product that meets their advertised specs.  FPGA's and GPU's aren't cost effective to invest in at this point, due to the difficulty.  Besides, even if I wanted to buy FPGA's, hardly anyone is selling those anymore, either.

So really, there aren't options for new people interested in mining.  This "decentralized" currency is ending up in the hands of the few that actually have the few ASICs out.   Believe me, I'd love to "buy an ASIC rig and enjoy", but I can't reasonably do that.

Until more vendors are really shipping equipment or turning out more equipment than they have orders to fill, the ability for someone to break into mining now is slim to none.  That is simply the state of the scene right now.
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
April 03, 2013, 02:16:48 PM
The rate the price is jumping is starting to look ridiculous. 50% in one day, there is no way that will continue very long. Looks like we will see the top soon.

When 1 Satoshi = 1$ I'd say this is close to top! At least that is my wishful thinking Smiley

legendary
April 03, 2013, 02:13:11 PM
The rate the price is jumping is starting to look ridiculous. 50% in one day, there is no way that will continue very long. Looks like we will see the top soon.

Sooner or later a reasonably large correction is expected, but we're VERY FAR from the top. The game has just started.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
April 03, 2013, 09:13:09 AM
Activity: 756
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
March 28, 2013, 10:45:48 AM
Just to give us something to compare to, I looked up the financial statement of Visa:

If I am reading it right, in 2012 they had expenses of 2.47 billion dollars, revenue of 10.42 billion dollars, leaving 7.95 billion dollars profits.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/v/financials

The 118 million per year to miners seems like a lot for a network so much smaller than Visa? I would be surprised if bitcoin was 1% as big as the Visa network, anybody know a good way to measure it?

There can't be a accurate comparison until the transaction fees are the primary source of income for the miners. At the moment all income is skewed because of the mining reward being mostly about the Bitcoin release still. Work out how much is coming in per day/year from the transaction fee and then compare to VISA.

Right, the revenue of VISA should be compared with the amount miners get from the transaction fee. A better comparison would be to compare the block reward to the amount all the banks around the world spend each day on their computer systems and security systems. Any idea how to estimate that amount?
mjc
Activity: 588
Available on Kindle
March 28, 2013, 03:00:42 AM

what utter bull, mitty

The mining reward encourages the existence of the network.  With out it your transactions do not get processed.  The fact that the reward is so large, is simply the fact that BTC exchange is so high.  It will equalize as the amount of money flowing in matches the amount going out.  The only reason it is so high is because so many people are buying BTC.  It has NO impact on the network how much the miners make.  I think you can easily get away with sending funds with out transactions or very low transaction fees attached.  The amount miners make from transactions is so small anyways.
Activity: 207
March 28, 2013, 02:26:06 AM
The miners are currently being paid an equivalent of about $324000 per day through the block reward. (about 90 USD per BTC, 25 BTC per block, 144 blocks per day)

Do you think this amount is a reasonable amount to keep the network going?

The fed creates $268000 in debt per one mined bitcoin .

Do you think this amount is a reasonable amount to keep the system going?
Pages:
Jump to: