Pages:
Author

Topic: 8th Alt coin thread. Or what to do now that asics are all over the place. - page 14. (Read 81426 times)

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'

@ vosk BCI is a shit coin  the entire net work is 10.11gh  I am at 210mh or 1/50 of the network

There have been times I managed close to 2% on a couple smaller coins - DGB for one, and I think Gridcoin I was pushing close to that before they decided to delist MooWrapper for "not being scientific enough" - while still supporting several other projects that were even less scientific.
To be fair, sometime in the last 6 months they've gotten around to delisting most of those OTHER projects.

At my peak in Folding@Home, I was a bit over 2% - then the "rented farms" fad and a certain developer got crazy-big.

Even some not-entirely-shit coins don't take a lot of horsepower to "go big" on at times.

with my solar power deals i can mine it at very little cost.

I have more then 6000 coins I earn 200 or so a week so I could be at 16000 coins a year from today

coins float from 16 to 22 cents and when at 16 I make a few more blocks then when it is at 22

If I am lucky  and it has one runup 16000 coins could be 48000-60000 bucks

My cost to mine then will be under 3000 from sept 2018 to jan 2020
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

@ vosk BCI is a shit coin  the entire net work is 10.11gh  I am at 210mh or 1/50 of the network

There have been times I managed close to 2% on a couple smaller coins - DGB for one, and I think Gridcoin I was pushing close to that before they decided to delist MooWrapper for "not being scientific enough" - while still supporting several other projects that were even less scientific.
To be fair, sometime in the last 6 months they've gotten around to delisting most of those OTHER projects.

At my peak in Folding@Home, I was a bit over 2% - then the "rented farms" fad and a certain developer got crazy-big.

Even some not-entirely-shit coins don't take a lot of horsepower to "go big" on at times.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
anyone mining ZIL (Zilica)?

uupool seems to have setup a live pool using Ethash algo to dual mine ZIL and ETH.

I switched my modest farm from ETC to ZIL+ETH at low intensity to save on power and see how this ZIL goes.

Yeah this ZIL is yet another platform project, but hitting nearly 3000 tx/s is quite impressive (apart from TRON)

https://uupool.cn/zil/tmteth/
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
The last time that XMR forked, I remember it was profitable simply because many people didn't know how to flash their BIOS so they could get the optimal speed with their RX GPUs. Many people were getting crashes or hashing at 50% of the optimal speed.

If you were good with computers, and modding bioses you could figure it out. But many people struggled and just stayed with ETH. However eventually Youtube videos started coming out with step by step instructions and it wasn't long before everybody switched to XMR V8 mining.

According this analysis +85% of Monero network hashrate are asic: https://medium.com/@MoneroCrusher/analysis-more-than-85-of-the-current-monero-hashrate-is-asics-and-each-machine-is-doing-128-kh-s-f39e3dca7d78

It will be very interesting to see how much hashrate decrease after fork.
I also heard those ASICs are of the stone-age 65nm-kind that have somehow been repurposed to mine Monerov8. Go figure.
Anything they do to fork away from this will be good for GPU miners.

A little price pump would do wonders too! Grin
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
The last time that XMR forked, I remember it was profitable simply because many people didn't know how to flash their BIOS so they could get the optimal speed with their RX GPUs. Many people were getting crashes or hashing at 50% of the optimal speed.

If you were good with computers, and modding bioses you could figure it out. But many people struggled and just stayed with ETH. However eventually Youtube videos started coming out with step by step instructions and it wasn't long before everybody switched to XMR V8 mining.

According this analysis +85% of Monero network hashrate are asic: https://medium.com/@MoneroCrusher/analysis-more-than-85-of-the-current-monero-hashrate-is-asics-and-each-machine-is-doing-128-kh-s-f39e3dca7d78

The math and methodology from what i have seen seem is pretty sound....   and sounds about right in the end.....   I have been thinking of taking my personally used builds of XMR stak;  and randomizing the initial nonce somewhat....   I have doen this to other miner apps int he past with good results;  better overall average hashrates.   

I know its partially a placebo thing;  but, if everyone starts in a different portion of the race, they stand less chance of crashing into each other Wink

But this fork will scream louder than any words.   All previous forks have.... and this one, being quiet about its changes until the final week;  is a smart thing;  as long as the devs have a working and tested algo at the time of release; and don't supply a devfee'd out binary/source (which they have not as of yet).

Other binary producers will have to scramble to update themselves;  but honestly;  this will help immensely in the end; and i am 100% for it.

Through this whole algo cycle till today;  I have had 1.2-1.8Kh/s on the monero network; and will continue to keep faith in it.    Privacy coins have been under scrutiny and attack for a bit now.... there's a reason for that....
Activity: 633
Merit: 267

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136
Looks like Monero is finally going to fork to solve the issues with all these FGPA/ASICs. The fork is very soon and the algo isn't even out yet. Seems like a very rushed job.

Wondering what the profits will be like. I am assuming it will be profitable for a week or 2 and then many of the ETH miners will switch back to XMR and it will become unprofitable as it was before.

I think it took 2-3 days for the difficulty to normalize after the last fork.  Then after that it was only like 2 days of good profit before all the CPU bot nets and conspiracy theory fpga/asics hopped back on board.
Activity: 1151
Merit: 528
Looks like Monero is finally going to fork to solve the issues with all these FGPA/ASICs. The fork is very soon and the algo isn't even out yet. Seems like a very rushed job.

Wondering what the profits will be like. I am assuming it will be profitable for a week or 2 and then many of the ETH miners will switch back to XMR and it will become unprofitable as it was before.
Ohhh this would be nice. Almost my entire farm is powered down with this heat wave..
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

Or it might be something they've been working on for a while and are keeping secret until the last minute to preserve the flexibility advantage that GPU miners would have compared to releasing it too early and allowing the Nicehashes, FPGA and ASIC devs of this world to study it.

One can hope, right?

When's the fork? EDIT: found it. "Around March 9" according to Justin Ehrenhofer.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
good, I'm new here, could someone tell me what is the mining thread of altcoins? information or some other discussion? Thank you

there are 8 threads  going back to  2016

a lot of info  on how to mine trade  coins

and build gear buy gear sell gear
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
good, I'm new here, could someone tell me what is the mining thread of altcoins? information or some other discussion? Thank you
legendary

legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 1059
That is some seriously cool work there mate! ^

I am very jealous of such a setup, solar doesn't work here  Undecided

i would like to point out that there is another option, passive income like rooms/apartment/anything for rent produces current too just a different kind of current called currency $$$ that currency can get you coins thru exchanges or run your rigs thru the electric company by sending them $$$.

here is a food for thought, the biggest mining farm--> federal reserve, they can print 4000$ cash for just around 3$ cost...just 3$ for 1 BTC...even cheaper, just typing 4000$ in a computer, that's just cents in electricity and efforts for 1 BTC  Tongue hehe
legendary
I've actually used QuadrigaCX a few years ago. Reason why is because at the time there was no other exchange in Canada.

I never encounted any major issues but I stopped using them when they got a bunch of ETH stuck on that smart contract. No idea what the value was but it was in the millions. Of risk of the exchange being insolvent if everybody decided to withdraw their ETH, I switched to another exchange.

Someone actually pointed out about a year ago or so with that Patryn connection to the fugitive. Unfortunately I didn't believe the story back then and neither did many people. People were too busy watching BTC hit $20K and ETH $1400.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
Little change of subject, but have you guys seen the QuadrigaCX fiasco in Canada ?  Guy apparently died in *india* of all places, and oups there arent any keys to be found, so money is gone xD How convenient.  The little details are fun to read.  Did you know his chihuahuas get a 100k trust fund and his poor wife will officially get 9.6million dollars of the estate.  Not too shabby I'd say, plus of course 150 million in crypto... May this be another reminder to never let your coins in an exchange and also if you trade, that exchange risk is part of trade risk.

Was discussing with a friend. The problem with today's exchanges is that they are amateurs, most of them. Don't get fooled by their fancy graphics and KYC crap. They aren't banks and have little to no backup procedures. Just look at what happened to shitopia, they got locked out of their own wallets because they had no backup of the private keys or no procedure to block any fraudulent attempt to withdraw from them.

Not letting coins on exchanges is one thing (I think we all have a few coins on exchanges, I'm guilty of that), but it's also super important to backup up your keys/seed in several different forms. Also have a way to get your spouse access to the coins should something happen to you (I still need to get on that...)

I still can't comprehend how any of that Quadriga fiasco was possible.  Even if the man really did die (no solid proof either way imo) it boggles my mind that he would have not provided some kind of information to his wife at a bare minimum.  Heck that is a no brainer for simple personal assets, let alone 190 million of other peoples money. 

As for Cryptopia, well I'm not surprised at all that they were hacked and I would not be the least bit surprised if it's an inside job since they have proven themselves to be unethical in the past.
Activity: 487
Merit: 266
Little change of subject, but have you guys seen the QuadrigaCX fiasco in Canada ?  Guy apparently died in *india* of all places, and oups there arent any keys to be found, so money is gone xD How convenient.  The little details are fun to read.  Did you know his chihuahuas get a 100k trust fund and his poor wife will officially get 9.6million dollars of the estate.  Not too shabby I'd say, plus of course 150 million in crypto... May this be another reminder to never let your coins in an exchange and also if you trade, that exchange risk is part of trade risk.

Was discussing with a friend. The problem with today's exchanges is that they are amateurs, most of them. Don't get fooled by their fancy graphics and KYC crap. They aren't banks and have little to no backup procedures. Just look at what happened to shitopia, they got locked out of their own wallets because they had no backup of the private keys or no procedure to block any fraudulent attempt to withdraw from them.

Not letting coins on exchanges is one thing (I think we all have a few coins on exchanges, I'm guilty of that), but it's also super important to backup up your keys/seed in several different forms. Also have a way to get your spouse access to the coins should something happen to you (I still need to get on that...)
legendary
Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182
Now the money is free, and so the people will be
Activity: 558
Merit: 194
This is a good site to get an idea about what your solar production is:

https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php

You enter your address and the size in watts of your system, and it will calculate for your lat/long and weather conditions.

You can play around with different tilt and azimuth value to see how it impacts overall production.

I live in central Virginia and here are my numbers for my 34,720 Watt system: (80 x 260W panels + 48x 290W panels)

Code:
Month	 Solar Radiation	AC Energy	Value
( kWh / m2 / day ) ( kWh ) ( $ )
January 3.81 3,257,432 395,648
February 4.75 3,652,182 443,594
March 5.10 4,236,092 514,516
April 5.66 4,372,219 531,050
May 5.77 4,518,811 548,855
June 5.90 4,356,810 529,178
July 5.95 4,495,470 546,020
August 5.84 4,374,852 531,370
September 5.38 3,955,102 480,387
October 4.70 3,764,586 457,247
November 4.20 3,330,549 404,528
December 3.61 3,089,051 375,196
Annual 5.06 47,403,156 5,757,589

So for the year, I average 130 kWh per day for my location and my climate.  My rate is $0.12146 year around 24/7, with taxes and fees.

Since I have a net metering arrangement with the power company, anytime I produce more than I consume, it goes back into the grid and I'm credited 100% and can then pull out out at night when I'm not producing anything.  If I consistently produce more than I consume, I start building up a "bank" of kWh with the poco.

So in my case, it really doesn't matter when I run my miners.  But for off-grid applications and those without net metering agreements, the method h311m4n came up with is very slick!
Activity: 487
Merit: 266
That is some seriously cool work there mate! ^

I am very jealous of such a setup, solar doesn't work here  Undecided

Thanks!

How do you mean it doesn't work? Not enough sun?
Yeah solar estimators say it's just not profitable/will never ROI.

Weird, where are you located? Because my house isn't perfectly oriented in regards to the sun's movement, but I still produce up to 40kW/day on a good summer day. There's a bunch of online websites where you can set your location, draw the panels on your roof and they will tell you how much you can produce a day.

Plus solar panels are getting cheaper and cheaper. You can get a full kit for about 5000€ on wattuneed.com (includes everything you need).
Pages:
Jump to: