Pages:
Author

Topic: 8th Alt coin thread. Or what to do now that asics are all over the place. - page 16. (Read 81426 times)

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
We have been mining Beam on Sparkpool and overall it's been a positive experience.  They have translated allot of the site now, so you don't have to rely on Google Translate like it was at first (that was a very "interesting" experience).

@ElderIII,

Can you mine to a BEAM exchange wallet (ex: BitForex) on Sparkpool?

What mining software have you found to be the best for BEAM?

Thx

Gminer is the best for Nvidia, lolminer is the best for AMD in my experience.  I think you can mine straight to an exchange, but you would still have to manually withdraw from the exchange once per day.  Unless they added a new exchange in the last couple of days I wouldn't trust any of them to hold my coins.  I would rather use the Beam wallet personally.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
Guys how much are you doing with a Vega64 on Grin?

I'm about 0,42 gps on Grin-31 / Vega64 at about 200W.
That's pretty much where you should be, upper end even. What miner are you using? I suppose it's the Minerbabe distro... I've been using it too and it was pretty stable. The only problem is that its web management platform is grossly unpolished and lacks a lot of features.
Activity: 729
Merit: 513
Guys how much are you doing with a Vega64 on Grin?

I'm about 0,42 gps on Grin-31 / Vega64 at about 200W.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059
I've had issues also with the USB Risers. They were also very difficult to diagnose which riser is good or which is bad without actually using it for  a while.

This is why some of my open air rigs still used the Ribbon risers from the Litecoin days. You could visually inspect them for fault and as long as it was 16x - 1x riser it was pretty flexable and you could put them almost anywhere.

However you couldn't use all ribbon risers on a 6 GPU rig, basically the first and last GPU on the rack wouldn't have enough length and you had to use the USB risers for those.

"using it for a while" you say?.....that's why my next plan is build a mining rig composed of old gpus 280x or maybe 290s--->like a testing rig.

that will be 100% sure that its running PSU, motherboard/cpu/ram/hdd and risers(including usb cable) are problem free, i will put any suspicious riser,gpu,psu etc.. to work there, see if something shakes off.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
I've had issues also with the USB Risers. They were also very difficult to diagnose which riser is good or which is bad without actually using it for  a while.

This is why some of my open air rigs still used the Ribbon risers from the Litecoin days. You could visually inspect them for fault and as long as it was 16x - 1x riser it was pretty flexable and you could put them almost anywhere.

However you couldn't use all ribbon risers on a 6 GPU rig, basically the first and last GPU on the rack wouldn't have enough length and you had to use the USB risers for those.
legendary
okay...okay...i surrender riser haters hehe

in the end we got to do what works for us  Wink  ...got some that still work from 2013 BTW

Activity: 85
Merit: 6
We have been mining Beam on Sparkpool and overall it's been a positive experience.  They have translated allot of the site now, so you don't have to rely on Google Translate like it was at first (that was a very "interesting" experience).

@ElderIII,

Can you mine to a BEAM exchange wallet (ex: BitForex) on Sparkpool?

What mining software have you found to be the best for BEAM?

Thx
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
I hate those damn risers. I just threw away 4 of'em. The GPUs started failing or throwing up error 43's in the device manager. In the end it was a combo of bad board and bad risers.

At least now, if I get this type of errors I know to isolate the gpu, and change the riser as a first instance.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
server chassis or any case...nope, just zip tie those cards in the rack and you have all the space you want to be able to put your two hands where you need it when troubleshooting or maintaining.

i dunno. i had gpus on risers zip tied in the air and found it more of a pita then i thought it would be. maybe it was just me as i was slowly rotating out my 380/390s and replaced them with whatever as i went at that time, and zip ties and risers sure made that The Suck in my book.

once the 8 slot onda d8p came out i bought one from phil and never looked back. no risers, nothing loose, easy gpu changes, take the whole rig outside as a unit to blow dust out etc. super neat and absolutely no problems since i set it up.

no risers=less to go wrong imo.
legendary
Generally those gamer type motherboards which allow triple SLI ( or triple crossfire) are very expensive and you need a huge tower case if you want it to be enclosed.

Reason why is because the last GPU will need to go in the last slot and that is usually where the PSU sits (newer cases have PSUs sitting at the bottom not top like the 90s)

Its basically cheaper to just buy a regular motherboard, use risers and just buy a server chassis and you can easily run 5 or 6 GPUs without issue.

server chassis or any case...nope, just zip tie those cards in the rack and you have all the space you want to be able to put your two hands where you need it when troubleshooting or maintaining.
Activity: 73
Merit: 2
Hey how profitable is GRIN atm? for example 1 vega 56 before electric?

They are barely profitable before electricity. Had one of my rigs with 3 vegas mining for a few days but they had a lousy hash rate in comparison to the nvidia cards. My 3 vegas did around 9 gps total consuming around 530 at the wall. Not sure if they will get improved upon later on with better mining programs, or if amd cards just suck at that algorithm.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
Generally those gamer type motherboards which allow triple SLI ( or triple crossfire) are very expensive and you need a huge tower case if you want it to be enclosed.

Reason why is because the last GPU will need to go in the last slot and that is usually where the PSU sits (newer cases have PSUs sitting at the bottom not top like the 90s)

Its basically cheaper to just buy a regular motherboard, use risers and just buy a server chassis and you can easily run 5 or 6 GPUs without issue.
legendary
[...]
a 300w (max) gpu is a perfect fit for a 3 gpu rig config..like a 900w for 3x card plus system power consumption......a perfect fit for a 1200w psu (1200w is a sweet spot for power-price-density-power efficiency ratio)

Exactly! Three cards, one motherboard, one psu, no crappy risers. Powerful and fail proof setup.

i use risers, boards that can handle those  3 to 4 gpus are too expensive or rare etc..

3 risers will be a lot easier to troubleshoot than finding the bad riser in a 8 card riser rig..shuffling by trial and error, testing your spares phew! haha

no the 8 slot boards using 4 cards  never break  and just run with the four cards doing 200 watts each the whole setup pulls

900 watts against the cheap good deal priced corsair 1500 watts atx psu.

My up time has been 99% since sept 2017

with zero psu or gpu  or board fails.

i was referring to risers not board hehe...anyway that is a one fine setup and to add to that if a socket got problematic you still have 4 more available.
Activity: 689
Merit: 253
Hey how profitable is GRIN atm? for example 1 vega 56 before electric?
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
[...]
a 300w (max) gpu is a perfect fit for a 3 gpu rig config..like a 900w for 3x card plus system power consumption......a perfect fit for a 1200w psu (1200w is a sweet spot for power-price-density-power efficiency ratio)

Exactly! Three cards, one motherboard, one psu, no crappy risers. Powerful and fail proof setup.

i use risers, boards that can handle those  3 to 4 gpus are too expensive or rare etc..

3 risers will be a lot easier to troubleshoot than finding the bad riser in a 8 card riser rig..shuffling by trial and error, testing your spares phew! haha

no the 8 slot boards using 4 cards  never break  and just run with the four cards doing 200 watts each the whole setup pulls

900 watts against the cheap good deal priced corsair 1500 watts atx psu.

My up time has been 99% since sept 2017

with zero psu or gpu  or board fails.
legendary
[...]

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
[...]

actually  the 8 slot boards with 4 cards are really good

I got lucky and purchased a lot of corsair 1500 watt titanium psus on the cheap.

I run them pretty hard with zero issues.

Activity: 428
Merit: 250
Inactivity: 8963
[...]

legendary
Nice, I may have to get some 2070s.

It seems like the rtx series is better at some of the newer algos power / hash wise.  My 2080 gets over 7 on grin and 25 on progpow.

I pointed up thread that the latest, biggest and bad ass cards of their time, like hbm fury, 1080ti-gddr5x, 2080ti-gddr6 seems like having extra features or technology that is not that useful to mining, and then new crypto coins and tech will harness that new tech from latest cards..

the bad ass cards are excellent in density, very nice for smaller farms or micro, mini or whatever...more like home/shed based mining..these people who are recommending 470s 4gb and 1060s to newbs...how did it go? hehe, got to spend more money to earn more. imagine a mining room filled to the brim like around 50 of them(470 and 1060) compared to just 20 2080 ti with ability to scale up to 50 2080ti's...the number of rigs..etc. etc.

i hope nvidia release a 3000$ super baddass card in 2021. notice that monitors are getting bigger and 4k, 8k, new technologies have to get more extreme.

Activity: 449
Merit: 24
Nice, I may have to get some 2070s.

It seems like the rtx series is better at some of the newer algos power / hash wise.  My 2080 gets over 7 on grin and 25 on progpow.
Pages:
Jump to: