Pages:
Author

Topic: 8th Alt coin thread. Or what to do now that asics are all over the place. - page 21. (Read 81426 times)

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059
anybody mining grin here? it seems 2080ti shines here with 1080ti as 1st runner up..

will GRIN pump to revive GPU mining?
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
On a similar note I had my first ASUS RX 570 GPU go flaky on me the other day. Hashed at half speed or not at all.
Switched riser, no improvement.
Switched GPU... all fine.

Now to the RMA... as it's just under 2 years old, they have to repair, replace or refund it I guess (3 years warranty). Wonder what they'll do... Maybe send me an RX 590 instead! Grin

PS: oh this reminds me that I need to re-flash the original bios...  Tongue

I actually had this exact issue last month. Tried everything. And basically was about to RMA it, and right before shipping the GPU i've flashed back the original stock bios, and to my surprise the GPU hashed at the correct speed (without memory straps).

Then I modified the memory straps again and it was finally hashing at the correct speed. So somehow the BIOS was messed up for some reason.

Try this before you actually send it in and see if it fixes your issue.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
On a similar note I had my first ASUS RX 570 GPU go flaky on me the other day. Hashed at half speed or not at all.
Switched riser, no improvement.
Switched GPU... all fine.

Now to the RMA... as it's just under 2 years old, they have to repair, replace or refund it I guess (3 years warranty). Wonder what they'll do... Maybe send me an RX 590 instead! Grin

PS: oh this reminds me that I need to re-flash the original bios...  Tongue
legendary
It was nice today getting paid about 10 BTC/TH/day for ETH mining. According to https://www.nicehash.com/algorithm/daggerhashimoto

Basically its triple the going rate and its around $1/day/GPU for most GPUs.

Reason why it was so high is due to some weird ETC block rewards which were like 200 ETC blocks instead of the usual 4 ETC. Looks like either some attack or someone using some crazy high gas fees.
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1166
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
if you can remove that fan often there is a sticker on the motor hub, remove the sticker and you should see the bearing. sometimes under a rubber plug, sometimes not. add a drop of light oil (like sewing machine oil or 3-in-1 oil) to it. that can add a few months but likely youll have to redo it every month or two.

Sintetic engine oil will do a much better thing. I use Castrol engine oil and lasts much longer.

interesting. you use the lightest weight oil you can get? at least very light oil was what was recommended back in the day, like 20-30 years ago when i was using and rebuilding very small fans on electronics and early computers. and engine oil then was typically 30 weight or more. thick oil would sometimes prevent the fan from starting and sometimes they would not attain the correct rpm as these were pretty small low power fans back then though.. now engine oil is much lighter and fan bearing are probably much different in lubrication requirements, or at least the bearing themselves are larger.

I think it has to do with the level of tolerance things are designed to now;  similar to the aspect of newer engines using specific viscosities because of tighter bearing tolerances
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
if you can remove that fan often there is a sticker on the motor hub, remove the sticker and you should see the bearing. sometimes under a rubber plug, sometimes not. add a drop of light oil (like sewing machine oil or 3-in-1 oil) to it. that can add a few months but likely youll have to redo it every month or two.

Sintetic engine oil will do a much better thing. I use Castrol engine oil and lasts much longer.

interesting. you use the lightest weight oil you can get? at least very light oil was what was recommended back in the day, like 20-30 years ago when i was using and rebuilding very small fans on electronics and early computers. and engine oil then was typically 30 weight or more. thick oil would sometimes prevent the fan from starting and sometimes they would not attain the correct rpm as these were pretty small low power fans back then though.. now engine oil is much lighter and fan bearing are probably much different in lubrication requirements, or at least the bearing themselves are larger.
Activity: 711
Merit: 500
I will wait to see if my motherboard can last longer. If it dies, I will try to change it by myself.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
https://wwwcudominercom/?a=N5XGAJBbt Check this out.  this is like nice hash i think.

not at all like nicehash  it is software

I will look at it on a more secure pc

I disabled link  and deleted post as I am not sure it is a safe link

dubious this miner

it has even a referral system built-in

what will they think of next
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
https://wwwcudominercom/?a=N5XGAJBbt Check this out.  this is like nice hash i think.

not at all like nicehash  it is software

I will look at it on a more secure pc

I disabled link  and deleted post as I am not sure it is a safe link
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1166
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
Re the onda mobos, they are by far the most common failure point of my farm. I use the 8 slot version, with 4 extra pcie 1x slots unused.

Running 51 rigs, replaced 18 of them already. Not to mention 5 of the warrantied boards returned that's still not working. Unfortunately there's no major manufacturer making such mobos, closest is biostar but they aren't made to power 1080ti as power comes from the board.

i have that mobo, the onda D8P i think. 8 x16 slots, and 4 x1 towards the back of the board. and takes like 3 molex and 3 sata power inputs along the back?

run 7 vgas (mixed assortment from 1080tis to a 460) plus nest4x with 3 acorns. win10 1709. 8 gigs ram, g4400. 256 gb ssd in that weird ssd slot forgot the name of the format (not m2 though.. maybe msata?). had no problems at all.

my biggest gripe is i cant find any bios updates anywhere but it hasnt seemed to need them tbh.

only downside to it, as with most mining mobos, is only one pcie lane to all slots but the 1st, which is 8 pcie lanes. no prob for traditional mining but not sure how acorn gpu accelerators will like those x1 lanes.

Same, I havent put more than 7 cards in active use at any time yet on it.   I believe it could handle it;  but I wouldn't want to use cards that pull excessive power form the 16x slots with this board;  Just knowing I have one molex or SATA feeding 2 slots each.  The 3 of the 1x slots share 1 power connector if im not mistaken, while the other shares with the last PCIE 16x slot using the furthest SATA power connection.

for me this board was about price (back when I bought), the technology it used (not all PCIE power plugs, 3.25x slot spacing, and the fact it has 16x slots instead of others.    My only gripe with the D8P is it's lack of being able to be mounted in a 4U space with the widest plane across the 4U slot, and not 90* rotated where it would take massive depth in a 4U rack; also making the case cross-flow air, instead of typical ventilation with a rack which typically moves air from front to back, not side to side as this board would need to be mounted.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
Re the onda mobos, they are by far the most common failure point of my farm. I use the 8 slot version, with 4 extra pcie 1x slots unused.

Running 51 rigs, replaced 18 of them already. Not to mention 5 of the warrantied boards returned that's still not working. Unfortunately there's no major manufacturer making such mobos, closest is biostar but they aren't made to power 1080ti as power comes from the board.

i have that mobo, the onda D8P i think. 8 x16 slots, and 4 x1 towards the back of the board. and takes like 3 molex and 3 sata power inputs along the back?

run 7 vgas (mixed assortment from 1080tis to a 460) plus nest4x with 3 acorns. win10 1709. 8 gigs ram, g4400. 256 gb ssd in that weird ssd slot forgot the name of the format (not m2 though.. maybe msata?). had no problems at all.

my biggest gripe is i cant find any bios updates anywhere but it hasnt seemed to need them tbh.

only downside to it, as with most mining mobos, is only one pcie lane to all slots but the 1st, which is 8 pcie lanes. no prob for traditional mining but not sure how acorn gpu accelerators will like those x1 lanes.
I have the six-slot d1800, so far no issues. Found a bios on a Chinese site (thank you google translate) without which the thing just wouldn't work originally. Even had to flash it blindly (as I first flashed the one for the version with IGPU - which mine doesn't have - and there was no description on that site) but ultimately that did it.

I run 6 Vegas on it but never run them at more than 1300W combined.
legendary

Activity: 610
Merit: 265

How much power for the 1080tis?

I ended up running four 1080tis alternate slots

All Evga hybrids 200 watts a card total about 825 watts a board.

Pretty much bulletproof.

But when you go to seven cards and run 1425 watts the boards and cards struggle.

Only 15 rigs are 1080ti. The most power hungry board I run is 70% PL on the rigs with 3 Evga sc2 hybrids, 4x Strixx + server fans. But there are failures across the different rigs, 1060s,1070tis, polaris all have failures.

I installed dust filters on my farm intakes, hope that will decrease failures somewhat.

At this point, if supermicro can make the same board for $250 and put a enterprise quality stamp +5 year warranty on it, I'll bite.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

How much power for the 1080tis?

I ended up running four 1080tis alternate slots

All Evga hybrids 200 watts a card total about 825 watts a board.

Pretty much bulletproof.

But when you go to seven cards and run 1425 watts the boards and cards struggle.
legendary
I will wait to see if my motherboard can last longer. If it dies, I will try to change it by myself.

because of the dead cpu fan? the celeron should just clock down by itself if it gets too hot.

if youre on windows there are cpu temp monitoring programs that will keep of track that. realtemp or coretemp are good.
Activity: 610
Merit: 265

Activity: 202
Merit: 10
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
I checked and see that I only have the large eight card boards not the six card ones

Thanks. @philipma1957. I will wait to see if my motherboard can last longer. If it dies, I will try to change it by myself.
Activity: 224
Merit: 18
You guys heard what happened with Ethereum Classic. Apparently they had multiple 51% attacks which was detected by Coinbase and it looks like the hash power wasn't coming from Nicehash. Looks like there might be some crazy new DaggerHashimoto ASIC farm which has 8+ TH/s of power.

I don't see the point of doing this as it will make the ETH developers suspicious and might lead to an emergency hard-fork to change the mining algo, since its not everyday where 8+ TH/s of power comes out of nowhere. They change the algo and their powerful ASICs become worthless. Right now 8TH/s leads to about $100K a day of mining revenue, why do a 51% attack and get potentially slightly more but face the risk of getting caught, doesn't make sense this attack to me.
They posted a tweet first saying that someone was testing new 1500 mhs asics but it's deleted now
legendary
You guys heard what happened with Ethereum Classic. Apparently they had multiple 51% attacks which was detected by Coinbase and it looks like the hash power wasn't coming from Nicehash. Looks like there might be some crazy new DaggerHashimoto ASIC farm which has 8+ TH/s of power.

I don't see the point of doing this as it will make the ETH developers suspicious and might lead to an emergency hard-fork to change the mining algo, since its not everyday where 8+ TH/s of power comes out of nowhere. They change the algo and their powerful ASICs become worthless. Right now 8TH/s leads to about $100K a day of mining revenue, why do a 51% attack and get potentially slightly more but face the risk of getting caught, doesn't make sense this attack to me.
Activity: 32
Merit: 4
I posted this in another thread but I might just as well post it in here too:

I was wondering what the best (i.e. cheapest) case would be for an Onda D1800 with 6 GPUs on it... It would need to fit the PSU as well I reckon. Don't want to splash out too much cash, but I'm thinking of moving this open-air rig to another place so I need it properly secured. I'm guessing some type of 4U case should work...?
best bet is check aliexpress, and ebay.... you should be able to search of "onda 1800 case" and find results.

Or;  See if spotwood's open air frame would be in the price range and liking to you.   I personally bought his frame for my D8P and it was one of the best decisions i've made for that machine.

I do not know the dimensions for the 6 slot ONDA, but I like this case:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091IZ1ZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it was $99 for the longest time and now the price seems to have jumped.  It is also sold by Walmart/NewEgg, so check around.  And I second the recommendation for the Spotswood frames -- whether you go with an open frame, or go with the 4U build, I think the Spotswood 4U drop in frame is very worthwhile.  Assembly with all of those exquisitely tiny screws and bolts is a bit of a pain the first time around.  But once it is all adjusted and in place, you'll be glad that you added it to your 4U build.  His open frames are also excellent and minimalist in a good way.
Pages:
Jump to: