Pages:
Author

Topic: A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by a Bitcoin Forum moderator. - page 6. (Read 1518 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18587
I agree with Upgrade00's points above. We already have some users who open multiple new threads whenever some of their posts are deleted and target the moderators they think are responsible with abuse. This would only be magnified several times over if every deleted post stated which moderator had acted upon it. Moderators would end up receiving endless PMs, and I can even envisage reports against some users not being acted upon due to the backlash the moderator anticipates facing in return.

A link to thread in question is reasonable, and should be fairly straightforward to implement.

Reasons for some posts being deleted would be nice, but it certainly shouldn't be mandatory for all posts being deleted. As you say, 99% of posts being trashed are simply zero quality nonsense or spam. Forcing moderators to give reasons for all these would massively slow down how quickly they can work, for little benefit. In cases such as yours, however, when the posts clearly aren't just spam, then reasoning would be good. This doesn't necessarily need to be built in to the system - a PM from the mod in question with a brief explanation would also work.

This also isn't the first time I've seen complaints about over-moderation in the Mining Board. It is not a board I frequent, and so I would be keen to hear the feelings of users who do.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174
Professional Community manager
- username of a moderator who made the deletion (for an easier contact),
- add a link to the thread from which post was deleted (to make it easier to find),
- add an annotation in the thread from which post was deleted,
- add the reasons for deletion.
I do not support including the name of the moderator who deleted the post for a number or reasons. In peculiar cases where the relevance of a post is debatable it may need further discussions, but majority of deleted posts are worthy of the action, and including the name if the mods could expose them to lots of backlash and unsolicited PMs, especially those that operate in the spam filled boards.
AFAIK, the name of the mods who handles any action on the forum (ban, post deletion,of nuking) is not made public to avoid personalizing the decisions they make.

I have no issues with the second and third suggestions.

The fourth however would be too bulky to handle.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 1708
First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold
"A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by a Bitcoin Forum moderator."

This is literally all information received by a user whose post has been deleted, and we can't forget, that in some cases, these are long working hours that have been irrevocably removed.

Of course, in 99% of cases, this is enough, because the spammer was punished, but in 1% of the cases, hours of someone's work disappeared and there is no easy way to find out why?

Information: "A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by a Bitcoin Forum moderator." is not sufficient and there should be at least a link provided to the thread from which it was removed, to be honest, there should be username added of the moderator who removed it, to be able to communicate with him, additionally, an annotation in the thread too, that the post was removed.

This could be really hard to even find the proper thread from which our posts were removed without all this information or to look further for help, especially in cases that really need this second look.

As an example, I can throw here my 2 (exactly 3) posts that were recently removed.

Two weeks ago two of my posts were deleted by moderators and I found that this is really hard or even impossible for me to find out why they were removed, so I started to look for help, but to my surprise, there is not much I could do Undecided Huh.

Both posts were published in the Mining Board, where we can see at the first look, that mining had really hard times lately because the majority of threads in this section are locked and not much is going on there at all.

Anyways, I was able to find two threads that were interesting for me and I knew a lot about the subject. Both threads were opened a long time ago, but still frequently updated with new comments. Of course, because there is not much going on, sometimes answers in these threads were posted with long monthly breaks. As always, before I commented there, I have read both threads fully and prepared really high-quality on-topic answers. Both threads were updated with new comments from the OPs about a week or two ago and are still running. Both removed posts were (additionally) already merited by few members (just after publishing) and one of these posts got an answer from the thread OP in which he stated that he is interested in the info I just provided. In short, the discussion was started again.

I have to add that this reply from OP was also removed.

To better understand what I am talking about, here are screens from both posts, with links to threads.

The winter mining setup

Bitcoin Mining on an APPLE II Computer! Highly Impractical Other Devices? Poll!

As I said already, both posts were immediately merited by few members and the thread OP, here screen:

These are my first merits for deleted posts Undecided.

First, I asked few members, I know here on the forum personally for help to look at these posts to find the reasons for removal, which I could have missed, but nobody was able to find it either, even other moderators, so I started by sending PM's to mods from the mining board: Gmaxwell and Frodocooper, kindly asking for explanation and help.

Only moderator Gmaxwell was so kind to answer and did it very fast after only one day:

As you can clearly see even he can't see the reasons for deletion.

I waited good two weeks for the answer from Frodocooper but never received it Undecided.

I started this thread to discuss in a wider group the need to enrich the information that the user receives after his post is removed, but also quietly counted to find out the reason for deleting my posts, because I do not want to spam, a few additional moderators with PMs if I still even don't know who did it?

As I already mentioned the provided information: "A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted..." is not sufficient when there is a problem and one has to look for help.

My suggestion will be to add an additional piece of info like:

- username of a moderator who made the deletion (for an easier contact),
- add a link to the thread from which post was deleted (to make it easier to find),
- add an annotation in the thread from which post was deleted (to inform about deletion OP and other readers),
- add the reasons for deletion (to avoid unneeded questions and additional work).

I hope to discuss these suggestions with the community, additionally counting for a response from the moderator who removed my posts and that he provides valid reasons for it to let me avoid such mistakes in the future if I made any.

Believe me such simple info as a link to thread can save hours of searching. I was lucky to write in mining, where threads from 2018 are still easy to find, but if someone has post deleted from an old thread in the altcoin section and he doesn't remember the title exactly, he will need a lot of luck to find it using the search function, believe me, that you won't remember the titles of the threads or even who published them, after a few hours, don't mention days or weeks.

PS
To be fully honest, I have to add that when I get to know that 2 of my posts were removed in a row (which happens to be very rare or even never happened before), I have written another 3rd post in The winter mining setup thread, which also was removed.

I haven't mentioned this one because I can understand that it could be removed as an off-topic (which also could be discussed  Wink).

Of course, no answer or reaction from the moderator who deleted it.

Pages:
Jump to: