Pages:
Author

Topic: A word of caution to those who have bought recently - page 3. (Read 4700 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006
We (Tangible Cryptography LLC) sell about 10K BTC a week in direct off exchange sales.  Our highest volume week was closer to triple that.  I have learned indirectly through clients that there are about three or four other entities which can handle transactions in the >1000 BTC range.  So what is total OTC volume (to include other direct sellers like BitInstant)?  It is hard to guess but I wouldn't be surprised if it is more than 40K to 60K BTC per week.

Is BitInstant really a direct seller? I always thought that they just transfer the money to an exchange, so their trades show up in the order book.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
The off exchange market is much larger than many people realize.   Someone looking to buy or sell a large quantity (>1000 BTC) will find that due to lack of slippage an OTC transaction with a trusted counterparty makes more sense.  Generally when someone is looking to buy 10K BTC or more they get to know the other party so I have spent considerable time emailing and talking with potential clients.  There is a growing interest from non-traditional money (i.e. those people who have no interest in mining, or a certain darknet marketplace).  While I never ask "how much do you make?" or "what is your net worth?" you get an feel for someone finances on how they deal with money.  In FC4B we have clients who are freaking out because a $400 ACH is a day late.  We have also had direct buyers be willing to post six figure wires a couple days early because it was easier for them to get it done that day.  The later aren't people building mining rigs in their garage. 

We (Tangible Cryptography LLC) sell about 10K BTC a week in direct off exchange sales.  Our highest volume week was closer to triple that.  I have learned indirectly through clients that there are about three or four other entities which can handle transactions in the >1000 BTC range.  So what is total OTC volume (to include other direct sellers like BitInstant)?  It is hard to guess but I wouldn't be surprised if it is more than 40K to 60K BTC per week.

Thanks for this valuable info. I've always been suspecting that OTC Volume was high. Add to that volume on other exchanges and the gox market starts to look a little less mighty. The less liquid mtgox is the more likely it is to be "manipulated". It's just very tempting for someone seeking to buy a large amount OTC or on other exchanges to just slam the price on gox beforehand and then lock in good prices with bitcoin suppliers, isn't it?

I'm not sure arbitraging between exchanges is working the way I expected it to work (make it all one big market). I'll have to ponder this more.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
The off exchange market is much larger than many people realize.   Someone looking to buy or sell a large quantity (>1000 BTC) will find that due to lack of slippage an OTC transaction with a trusted counterparty makes more sense.  Generally when someone is looking to buy 10K BTC or more they get to know the other party so I have spent considerable time emailing and talking with potential clients.  There is a growing interest from non-traditional money (i.e. those people who have no interest in mining, or a certain darknet marketplace).  While I never ask "how much do you make?" or "what is your net worth?" you get an feel for someone finances on how they deal with money.  In FC4B we have clients who are freaking out because a $400 ACH is a day late.  We have also had direct buyers be willing to post six figure wires a couple days early because it was easier for them to get it done that day.  The later aren't people building mining rigs in their garage. 

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
Why is there always this urge to attribute price movements to "one large buyer" or "the manipulator" etc?  Roll Eyes

I feel like there is a psychological need to attribute things to single people... maybe this is why so many believe in god, and in a king or president to control things?

There actually is. Look up Rene Girard.

Is he the guy we can attribute everything to?
legendary
Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001
A 300% price gain in 3+ months without any significant fundamental reason is the work of 1 large buyer.

can easily be changed to:
A 1000% price gain in 9+ months without any significant fundamental reason is the work of 1 large buyer.

Activity: 868

I may be totally wrong and am underestimating the exponential effect of Bitcoin popularity.

This. Just look at bitpays numbers to see how much its growing

This thread reminds me of the "cautionary warnings" when the price went from 3-4$ (the 2nd time.)
zby
legendary
Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001
Same old story - where is 'The Manipulator' thread?

Together with - imagine that a millionaire  learns about bitcoin and decides to try it out with his pocket money
Activity: 504
Merit: 250
As it is even harder to speculate on the intent of a possible speculator, Best pratice is to hedge in a ratio that you feel comfortable with. You know you struck a balance when you feel equally bad about your asks and your bids.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000
Enabling the maximal migration

I may be totally wrong and am underestimating the exponential effect of Bitcoin popularity.

This. Just look at bitpays numbers to see how much its growing
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
I think the spike of new users the Blockchain.info wallet has gotten since December hasn't shown it's full impact yet. Bitcoin has a steep learning curve so I think people will typically trust it only after a few months of experimenting with it. Once these new users start moving bigger amounts it will put a firm support under the price IMO.
Activity: 763
Merit: 500
I'm sure there's a simpler explanation to this story... Smiley
This might be some kind of tactics, to "test" the price level … probably in the past this trick worked a few times, then you can profit. But right now I don't see it. Also, no weekend-dip, afai-can-see.
legendary
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
Actually the HUGE buy and then HUGE sell came within two or so minutes of each other. So yeah, the 'manipulator' may have needed to buy a bunch of btc just so he could use it to push the price down, and didn't care about the trading fee.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010
Why is there always this urge to attribute price movements to "one large buyer" or "the manipulator" etc?  Roll Eyes

I feel like there is a psychological need to attribute things to single people... maybe this is why so many believe in god, and in a king or president to control things?

Because the volume and market cap could certainly allow a single large buyer or a consortium of sophisticated traders, to manipulate the btc market very easily.

Even worse, its a schizophrenic manipulator who does stuff like BUY 10k BTC to raise the price up to 14.31 and about an hour or so later sells it down below 14!  And then buys little bits back up to 14.20...

I'm sure there's a simpler explanation to this story... Smiley
BCB
vip
Activity: 1078
BCJ

Because the volume and market cap could certainly allow a single large buyer or a consortium of sophisticated traders, to manipulate the btc market very easily.

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack

BCB
vip
BCJ
Interesting

Any evidence of this in the public trading records.

I also know there is a significant amount of otc transactions.

Interesting, if you don't want to give exact figures, how large is OTC trade in percent of Gox volume in your opinion?

I would have no idea how to extrapolate those figure however FastCash4Bitcoins has moved over 200,000 btc and counting and the other side of there business Bitcoinsdirect is often out of coin.  So there is not insignificant  volume there.

If I had to guess I would say at least  5000 coins move in any given week on bitcoin-otc

And I have see significant orders on localbitcoins.net.

Again what percentage of gox volume I have no idea.  
BCB
vip
BCJ
The only reason for it is that the more and more ppl getting into bitcoin. Just see how many new users blockchain.info is getting: https://blockchain.info/charts/my-wallet-n-users Bitcoin subreddit is constantly getting more and more subscribers.

Also don't foget that amount of fiat money is practically infinite.

+1

I believe the recent media attention and the growth in user base supports this price increase and we'll continue to see it climb in 2013.  I am concerned about the effect that ASIC delivery or ASIC failure will have on the market.
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
Again, im just speculating but seeing 9k orders from a single account at current prices points to someone spending 150k into Bitcoins only recently.

Activity: 57
Merit: 0
Your story of one large buyer reminds me of a conspiracy theory. And as usual with conspiracy theories they are often false.

Also below 12.90 there might not be a lot of orders, but if the price drops lower I will add to my position, and there are probably more people who don't have orders in place, but will act the same.
Activity: 602
Merit: 508
Firstbits: 1waspoza
The only reason for it is that the more and more ppl getting into bitcoin. Just see how many new users blockchain.info is getting: https://blockchain.info/charts/my-wallet-n-users Bitcoin subreddit is constantly getting more and more subscribers.

Also don't foget that amount of fiat money is practically infinite.
Pages:
Jump to: