Pages:
Author

Topic: An (even more) optimized version of cpuminer (pooler's cpuminer, CPU-only) - page 38. (Read 1958260 times)

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
I think you are probably right about being a old core/family with 2 hyperthreaded cores (i'll check tomorrow)

While I'm here, here's a non-exhaustive list of things that can significantly influence your hash rate:
running in 32 or 64 bit mode;
CPU microarchitecture (Netburst, Core 2, Nehalem, Sandy Bridge, Haswell, ...);
CPU cache size and speed;
CPU clock frequency;
hyperthreading;
the CPU time used by concurrently running applications.

As the gear-heads would say "There is no replacement for displacement"  Grin

Any idea on why top shows 25% idle (even for 1 thread) ?
Started looking over the code now that i am back home, hopefully if i get some time i could add some powerpc stuff i am more familiar with
powerpc ASM? if so that would be fun to test on some older machines Smiley
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
I think you are probably right about being a old core/family with 2 hyperthreaded cores (i'll check tomorrow)

While I'm here, here's a non-exhaustive list of things that can significantly influence your hash rate:
running in 32 or 64 bit mode;
CPU microarchitecture (Netburst, Core 2, Nehalem, Sandy Bridge, Haswell, ...);
CPU cache size and speed;
CPU clock frequency;
hyperthreading;
the CPU time used by concurrently running applications.

As the gear-heads would say "There is no replacement for displacement"  Grin

Any idea on why top shows 25% idle (even for 1 thread) ?
Started looking over the code now that i am back home, hopefully if i get some time i could add some powerpc stuff i am more familiar with
Activity: 839
Merit: 507
Started playing around with the recent cpuminer (2.3.2) and litecoin/scrypt on a old spare quad Xeon server i have
I noticed that the performance on the older Xeon@3Ghz is not in par with my quad core2 Q6600@3Ghz
Both machines have 8Gigs of ram, Ubuntu X64 and cpuminer was compiled on each machine

The Q6600 gives me around 6.5 khash/s per core while the Xeon 1.60 khash/s
[...]

You didn't mention the exact model of the Xeon, but judging from the cpuinfo report you provided it looks like it's an old Netburst-based processor, which would partially explain why it is so slow. Does it support hyperthreading by any chance? Have you tried running a single thread to see if the per-thread speed is higher?

• running in 32 or 64 bit mode;
  • CPU microarchitecture (Netburst, Core 2, Nehalem, Sandy Bridge, Haswell, ...);
  • CPU cache size and speed;
  • CPU clock frequency;
  • hyperthreading;
  • the CPU time used by concurrently running applications.
On the other hand, all other things being equal, the following do (should) not influence the hash rate:
  • the amount or speed of RAM;
  • the operating system (as long as it provides full support for the capabilities of the CPU it's running on).
Activity: 18
Started playing around with the recent cpuminer (2.3.2) and litecoin/scrypt on a old spare quad Xeon server i have
I noticed that the performance on the older Xeon@3Ghz is not in par with my quad core2 Q6600@3Ghz
Both machines have 8Gigs of ram, Ubuntu X64 and cpuminer was compiled on each machine

The Q6600 gives me around 6.5 khash/s per core while the Xeon 1.60 khash/s
cpuinfo reports pretty similar bogomips although this is not a true performance measure

i.e Q6600

processor   : 1
vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
cpu family   : 6
model      : 15
model name   : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
stepping   : 11
cpu MHz      : 3000.000
cache size   : 4096 KB
physical id   : 0
siblings   : 4
core id      : 1
cpu cores   : 4
apicid      : 1
initial apicid   : 1
fpu      : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level   : 10
wp      : yes
flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips   : 5994.00
clflush size   : 64
cache_alignment   : 64
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

Xeon

processor   : 1
vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
cpu family   : 15
model      : 4
model name   : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz
stepping   : 3
cpu MHz      : 2992.877
cache size   : 2048 KB
physical id   : 3
siblings   : 2
core id      : 0
cpu cores   : 1
apicid      : 7
initial apicid   : 7
fpu      : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level   : 5
wp      : yes
flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid cx16 xtpr
bogomips   : 5985.52
clflush size   : 64
cache_alignment   : 128
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

The only major difference i can think off is that the Q6600 uses DDR2 while the Xeon older server DDR memory, but i really wonder if that alone could account for the huge performance difference,since both have rather large caches.

One other strange thing i noticed is that cpuminer uses roughly 75% of the core's "power" (Top shows 75% nice 25% idle) in both cases
(Was expecting to  see a 100% nice on the core it was running)

My interest is purely from a dev standpoint as with the the GPU's doing most of the work, the few khash difference per cpu core is nothing in a production system.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014
--help for all the args

You should use -t to limit the number of threads to say half of the cores on your CPU

legendary
/dev/null
I am looking for a way to limit the cpu power used, because at 100% my pc will overheat after a while, any way to do this?
Is there a list of the avaible commands somewhere?

Thanks!
minerd --help Wink use less threads
Activity: 8
I am looking for a way to limit the cpu power used, because at 100% my pc will overheat after a while, any way to do this?
Is there a list of the avaible commands somewhere?

Thanks!
legendary
For the fun of it I compiled cpuminer on Raspberry PI, which is overclocked to 800MHz

Scrypt mining runs at 0.36khs  Grin

PSL
Activity: 166
Merit: 10
pls scrypt-jane supported

cpuminer was already forked and modified for scrypt-jane,it is here:

https://github.com/ali1234/cpuminer
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/yacoin-cpuminer-released-very-soon-pools-will-be-availaible-for-this-coin-200147

Well, there are other options for improvement too, like adding support for OneCoin or CopperLark or j-Coin or MemoryCoin... ;-)
Activity: 48
pls scrypt-jane supported
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Hey pooler, which pool do you recommend?
what's the difference between scrypt and sha algo? why I'm always get boo when using scrypt algo? Thanks.
They are completely different proof-of-work algorithms. You must use scrypt for Litecoin, and you must use sha256d for Bitcoin.

Added this to the FAQ on the first post.
Activity: 9
what's the difference between scrypt and sha algo? why I'm always get boo when using scrypt algo? Thanks.
legendary
How do I make Minerd to run automatically everytime i restart my pc?

You can use my front-end controller application Crypto Miners in Tray. Wink In addition to lots of automatic start/stop/watch/keep alive options, it has "Run with Windows" checkbox, which will autostart everything once you log in.
Activity: 435
How do I make Minerd to run automatically everytime i restart my pc?
legendary
/dev/null
ive done the same with my RPi and odroid-x2 jff Wink

RPi:
scrypt - 0.44 khash/s
sha256d - 258.40 khash/s

odroid-x2:
scrypt - 6.71 khash/s
sha256d - 4219 khash/s
PSL
Activity: 166
Merit: 10
I experiment with cpuminer 2.3.2 at different ARM computers and these are hashrates I measured:

=============================================
Toshiba AC100 subnotebook running Lubuntu 12.10, Nvidia Tegra2 chip, 2x 1000 MHz
ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)

./configure CFLAGS="-O3 -pipe" && make
# LTC hashrate: 1.38 khash/s (2x 0.69)
# BTC hashrate: 820 khash/s (2x 410)

HDMI stick MK802 II running debian 7.0 armhf, 1x 1000 MHz
ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l) with NEON support (Allwinner A10)

# LTC hashrate: 0.73 khash/s
# BTC hashrate: 566 khash/s

./configure CFLAGS="-O3 -pipe -mfpu=neon" && make
# LTC hashrate: 0.86 khash/s
# BTC hashrate: 600 khash/s

BeagleBone Black running debian 7.0 armhf, 1x 1000 MHz
ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l) with NEON support, CPU is "double issue" (it can execute two instructions in parallel)

# LTC hashrate: 0.71 khash/s
# BTC hashrate: 555 khash/s

./configure CFLAGS="-O3 -pipe -mfpu=neon" && make
# LTC hashrate: 0.84 khash/s
# BTC hashrate: 589 khash/s

Raspberry PI running debian 7.0 armhf, 1x 900 MHz (CPU overclocked from 700 to 900 MHz)
ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)

# LTC hashrate: 0.43 khash/s
# BTC hashrate: 258 khash/s
Activity: 252
(Although I did like seeing the difficulty level for each share)
Thanks Pooler!
yeah me too
Activity: 35
version 2.3.2
32bit version for sha256d is not working for me (just hangs) but works fine on scrypt.
I have no problems with the 64bit version for scrypt or sha256d.

Tested on 32bit win xp and server 2003

I use v2.2.3 if I need to run sha256d on 32bit systems.

Confirmed on Windows XP, though interestingly enough it seems to run with no problem at all in wine.
Even more interesting is the fact that if I build it with a different version of gcc it appears to run fine everywhere. I have now uploaded this build, please see if it works for you.

sha256d is working on XP 32bit on new build.
no more stratum proxies yay!  (Although I did like seeing the difficulty level for each share)
Thanks Pooler!
version 2.3.2
32bit version for sha256d is not working for me (just hangs) but works fine on scrypt.
I have no problems with the 64bit version for scrypt or sha256d.

Tested on 32bit win xp and server 2003

I use v2.2.3 if I need to run sha256d on 32bit systems.

Confirmed on Windows XP, though interestingly enough it seems to run with no problem at all in wine.
Even more interesting is the fact that if I build it with a different version of gcc it appears to run fine everywhere. I have now uploaded this build, please see if it works for you.
Pages:
Jump to: