Pages:
Author

Topic: An (even more) optimized version of cpuminer (pooler's cpuminer, CPU-only) - page 52. (Read 1958475 times)

Activity: 839
Merit: 507
  • A --benchmark option is now available to benchmark a system without the need of connecting to a work provider.
can you tell more about that option?
There's not much to say, really. The option allows you to do some testing without the need of connecting to a pool. No shares are generated.

Thanks Pooler!
Gained 1 kh/s Smiley.
i've lost 0.7 kh/s
Does your processor have AVX?
yes, my Bulldozer x6 an x8 does, haven't tested on x8 yet tho
AMD processors use a different implementation, which (as you can see if you look at the commits to the git repository) has remained unchanged since last version, and actually since version 2.2. For this reason, I'm obliged to respectfully ignore your comment.

Looking to get started on this with W7 x64 and an i7 3930K, I tried running the minerd.exe and get an json_rpc_call failed message. This is with or without a cfg.json file present in the directory. I ran through the first 6 pages or so of this post and didn't see any full Windows setup. If someone could give me a step by step please I would be happy as a pig in shit.
The online help is your friend, just run "minerd --help". You will get a detailed description of all supported options, and see that you have to use "-c" if you want to use a configuration file.

What does the --s flag do?
There is no --s flag. There's a --scantime flag, whose short version is -s. The miner will accept --s because in the Windows version there's just one long option that starts with "s", and getopt is indulgent. Please note that, since this may change in the future, you should not be using shortened long options such as --s when writing scripts or batch files.
That said, you can safely ignore the option when mining at a pool, since it is ineffective when long polling is enabled. If you are solo mining, you can set it to as low as 1 to minimize the likeliness of generating orphaned blocks.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
[...] This time I've also built a couple static binaries for Linux (x86 and x86-64), for those people who really don't want to bother compiling the miner themselves.

Static binaries? Uh, nice!
Due to the libcurl deps I'm failing badly to a build static bin myself (on RHEL5). What flags did you set?
Don't you need to set LDFLAGS to compile statically on Linux? It's been a while, so I could be mistaken.
Activity: 225
[...] This time I've also built a couple static binaries for Linux (x86 and x86-64), for those people who really don't want to bother compiling the miner themselves.

Static binaries? Uh, nice!
Due to the libcurl deps I'm failing badly to a build static bin myself (on RHEL5). What flags did you set?
Activity: 182
Looking to get started on this with W7 x64 and an i7 3930K, I tried running the minerd.exe and get an json_rpc_call failed message. This is with or without a cfg.json file present in the directory. I ran through the first 6 pages or so of this post and didn't see any full Windows setup. If someone could give me a step by step please I would be happy as a pig in shit.

edit - got the miner setup. Using 8 threads at stock speeds I'm getting about 67KH/s. What does the --s flag do?
Activity: 447
Merit: 250
I get this error in OS X Mountain Lion:

dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libidn.11.dylib

libidn is installed via fink, so I'm not sure what's up?
Activity: 266
LitecoinTalk
Thanks Pooler!

Gained 1 kh/s Smiley.

i've lost 0.7 kh/s

Does your processor have AVX?

yes, my Bulldozer x6 an x8 does, haven't tested on x8 yet tho
Activity: 770
Merit: 502
LitecoinTalk
Activity: 770
Thanks Pooler!

Gained 1 kh/s Smiley.
LitecoinTalk
    • A --benchmark option is now available to benchmark a system without the need of connecting to a work provider.

can you tell more about that option?
    Activity: 839
    Merit: 507
    Version 2.2.3

• This version includes the long-awaited ARM NEON implementation of both scrypt and SHA-256d. To use it you have to specify "-mfpu=neon" in CFLAGS when compiling. Since there is no portable way of detecting the capabilities of an ARM processor at runtime, the resulting binary will only be compatible with those systems that support the NEON instruction set (not all ARMv7-based SoCs do). According to my tests, this version brings a 10% speedup to Cortex-A8 and a 40% speedup to Cortex-A9.
    • Slight speed improvement (2-3%) for the AVX-specific scrypt implementation.
    • I've added some architecture-specific notes to the README.

The source code is, as always, available at GitHub. Binaries are available here. This time I've also built a couple static binaries for Linux (x86 and x86-64), for those people who really don't want to bother compiling the miner themselves.
    Activity: 504
    Merit: 500
    Scattering my bits around the net since 1980
    The Windows 32-bit binary triggers my spybot as a backdoor/trojan..  What up with that?
    CGminer also sets off my anti-virus too.

Someone probably was embedding the miners in some trojans they were sending out to get their botnet mining for them.

-- Smoov

Not necessarily. At least my antivirus hates almost every Bitcoin program I use. (Example from a few days ago: "VIRUS DETECTED: Win32.BitcoinMiner" for CGMiner.)
    Yeah, but it wouldn't be logged as a virus (with that label), unless it was found in some malware it got to analyze. Since it is labelled specifically Win32.BitcoinMiner, they know what it was, not just some heuristic false positive...

besides... how many people have we had coming to the forums and IRC, asking how to do that very kind of install on a system automatically?

-- Smoov
    Activity: 294
    Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.
    The Windows 32-bit binary triggers my spybot as a backdoor/trojan..  What up with that?

Someone probably was embedding the miners in some trojans they were sending out to get their botnet mining for them.

-- Smoov

Not necessarily. At least my antivirus hates almost every Bitcoin program I use. (Example from a few days ago: "VIRUS DETECTED: Win32.BitcoinMiner" for CGMiner.)
    Activity: 504
    Merit: 500
    Scattering my bits around the net since 1980
    The Windows 32-bit binary triggers my spybot as a backdoor/trojan..  What up with that?

-- Smoov
    Activity: 62
    Merit: 10
    legendary
    Activity: 2674
    Merit: 1083
    Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
    Hm... looks like my Intel core 2 Duo T7700 doesnt profit from the changes. I made some tests with the following result:

Old, original dll
    -----------
    original exe - 6.72khash/s

New dll
    -----------
    original exe - 6.82khash/s
    new exe - 2.55khash/s
    minerd-ssse3-core2 - 2,6khash/s
    minerd-amdfam10-sse4a - 2,68khash/s
    minerd-corei7-avx - crash
    minerd-i7 - crash

scryptminer - 6,6khash/s

So it looks like the original.exe with the new dll has a slight better result. I tested all test with 2 threads and 5 seconds update. Then i created an excelsheet of all the values (sometimes some hundred values).
    legendary
    Activity: 1596
    If you start it in a console with --help it tells you this :

Usage: minerd [OPTIONS]
    Options:
      -o, --url=URL         URL of mining server (default: http://127.0.0.1:9332/)
      -O, --userpass=U:P    username:password pair for mining server
      -u, --user=USERNAME   username for mining server
      -p, --pass=PASSWORD   password for mining server
      -x, --proxy=[PROTOCOL://]HOST[:PORT]  connect through a proxy
      -t, --threads=N       number of miner threads (default: number of processors)
      -r, --retries=N       number of times to retry if a network call fails
                              (default: retry indefinitely)
      -R, --retry-pause=N   time to pause between retries, in seconds (default: 30)
      -T, --timeout=N       network timeout, in seconds (default: 180)
      -s, --scantime=N      upper bound on time spent scanning current work,
                              in seconds (default: 5)
          --no-longpoll     disable X-Long-Polling support
      -q, --quiet           disable per-thread hashmeter output
      -D, --debug           enable debug output
      -P, --protocol-dump   verbose dump of protocol-level activities
      -c, --config=FILE     load a JSON-format configuration file
      -V, --version         display version information and exit
      -h, --help            display this help text and exit

So the most simple way is this :

minerd --url http://poolofyourchoice:9332/ --userpass yourusername:yourpassword
    legendary
    How can i configure this? There were only 3 files in the zip and no config or txt. Only starting the exe results in an error because he cant reach the Server.

Thanks!
    Sebastian
    Activity: 1596
    It is 8 individual mining threads, so 8 x 3.3khps = 26.4khps.
    It is not possible to make all threads mine together because every step in calculating a hash is dependent on the previous one.
    Well, maybe some little steps are possible to do in parallel, but keeping the threads in sync would cost much time and make overall hashing slower.
    Pages:
    Jump to: