Pages:
Author

Topic: An Open Letter to the Bitcoin Community from the Developers - page 2. (Read 5891 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
Very good letter. Finally the people have heard the voice of the reason and will sit to discuss about the problem which faced bitcoin nowadays. This is the right solution and not the division. Hope that everything will go ok and will not be division. Even flaring the absence of the name of Gavin. Hope it will not be late for a pacific and overall solution.
oh ya they got this don't worry.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/21809/open-letter-bitcoin-community-developers/

As active contributors to Bitcoin, we share this letter to communicate our plan of action related to technical consensus and Bitcoin scalability.

Bitcoin is many things to many people. However, the development and maintenance of Bitcoin is a human endeavor. Satoshi sought review and cooperation, and the subsequent work by Bitcoin’s developers has made the system more secure and orders of magnitude faster. The Bitcoin developer community is dedicated to the future of Bitcoin, looks after the health of the network, strives for the highest standards of performance, and works to keep Bitcoin secure on behalf of everyone.

We’re committed to Bitcoin and responsive to the needs of the community. For the past five years, we’ve written code and managed over 50 Bitcoin releases and reviewed more than 45 formal proposals to improve Bitcoin’s performance, security, and scalability. Technical discussions, while heated at times, are always focused on improving Bitcoin.

Much work has already been done in this area, from substantial improvements in CPU bottlenecks, memory usage, network efficiency, and initial block download times, to algorithmic scaling in general. However, a number of key challenges still remain, each with many significant considerations and tradeoffs to evaluate. We have worked on Bitcoin scaling for years while safeguarding the network’s core features of decentralization, security, and permissionless innovation. We’re committed to ensuring the largest possible number of users benefit from Bitcoin, without eroding these fundamental values.

There will be controversy from time to time, but Bitcoin is a security-critical system with billions of dollars of users’ assets that a mistake could compromise. To mitigate potential existential risks, it behooves us all to take the time to evaluate proposals that have been put forward and agree on the best solutions via the consensus-building process.

In the upcoming months, two open workshops will bring the community together to explore these issues. The first Scaling Bitcoin workshop will be in Montreal on September 12-13. The second workshop is planned for December 6-7 and will be hosted in Hong Kong to be more inclusive of Bitcoin’s global user base.

We ask the community to not prejudge and instead work collaboratively to reach the best outcome through the existing process and the supporting workshops. It’s great to already see broad excitement for the event and the high concentration of technical participants attending.

We’re confident that by working together we can agree on the best course of action. We believe this is the way forward and reinforces the existing review process that has served the Bitcoin development community (and Bitcoin in general) well to date.

We welcome your participation as we continue our efforts to bring Bitcoin into the future.

Signed,

Wladimir J. van der Laan

Pieter Wuille

Cory Fields

Luke Dashjr

Jonas Schnelli

Jorge Timón

Greg Maxwell

Eric Voskuil

Amir Taaki

Dave Collins

Michael Ford

Peter Todd

Phillip Mienk

Suhas Daftuar

R E Broadley

Eric Lombrozo

Daniel Kraft

Chris Moore

Alex Morcos

dexX7

Warren Togami

Mark Friedenbach

Ross Nicoll

Pavel Janík

Josh Lehan

Andrew Poelstra

Christian Decker

Bryan Bishop

Benedict Chan

฿tcDrak

Charlie Lee

Jeremy Rubin

Very good letter. Finally the people have heard the voice of the reason and will sit to discuss about the problem which faced bitcoin nowadays. This is the right solution and not the division. Hope that everything will go ok and will not be division. Even flaring the absence of the name of Gavin. Hope it will not be late for a pacific and overall solution.
Activity: 277
Merit: 250
I understand that companies like Circle (who are BIP101 backers) have Goldman Sachs and Moneygram as investors  Cheesy
Little bit of a conflict of interest, perhaps?

I fail to see the conflict of interest.  What does Goldman and Moneygram have to do with anything ?

Still waiting for an explanation on this one Carlton.   Has your bias on this debate degraded your thinking
to the point of spouting non sequitors?

It makes about as much sense as the blockstream conflict of interest

By keeping the 1MB limit in place, Core developers would
force transactions off the main chain as Bitcoin scales.
And Blockstream is in the business of building sidechains,
and other extensibility.  I think that is a very solid argument.
You can disagree with the conclusion but should be honest enough
to admit that the argument is at least plausible on the surface.
What Carlton is saying is just nonsense
that he can't even explain.  

The investors in circle coinbase etc want to either cripple or centralise Bitcoin. They are funding Gavin and Hearn to do that. 'Solid argument'.  Plausible on the surface.

Actually, both arguments are idiotic ad-hominems. Both sides need to reduce the temptation of using them. It just adds vitriol to the debate.

btw most of the people including core-devs who disagree with XT are not from blockstream

blockstream people held similar positions before blockstream

blockstream gains from making bitcoin better and bigger

blockstream gains from keeping block small is questionable and minimal if even existent. Its a very long bow to draw

there are much easier ways for core devs to make way more money then trying to keep blocks small in some hope they can make money of open source infrastructure

the core devs have a long history of being motivated primarily by privacy and tech not by money

lightning network is open source and blockstreams business model is crappy, it receives not revenue. Its essentially a way to  fund devs so they can work on common-good infrastructure. Infact its probably the best way for them to be funded yet remain independent.

ok, somewhat plausible I suppose, but idiotic as you say.

We can accuse both sides of bad motives but I think one side wants main chain scaling and one wants off chain scaling.  would you agree?

Yes, as a rough generalisation. There is also privacy decentralisation vs growing at all cost. There are a few other underlying issues and complexities also.

Maybe the different visions will require a split at some point. For now its completely unnecessary. A uniting compromise is best . Both visions should be compatible for at least the next 3-5 years.

Bitcoin is way to small for such divisions now.

We don't need/have lightning now and we don't need exponentially growing blocks either. 4-8mb for the time being gives plenty of time and would be best way too keep us united, in my opinion.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner

We can accuse both sides of bad motives but I think one side wants main chain scaling and one wants off chain scaling.  would you agree?

It's more like one side wants optimal decentralization and security while the other side is fixated on scaling the system by externalizing costs to the ones running it.

there's a third side saying lets give ourselves some breathing room, and keep trying to find a more optimal solution.

BIP100
Activity: 644
Merit: 504
Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

We can accuse both sides of bad motives but I think one side wants main chain scaling and one wants off chain scaling.  would you agree?

It's more like one side wants optimal decentralization and security while the other side is fixated on scaling the system by externalizing costs to the ones running it.
Activity: 318
Merit: 251
Geez, you just can't please some people.  They go out of their way to organize two open discussion meetings across the world, filled with some of the top technical folk in bitcoin, and you guys are still unhappy.

I don't get it.  It's like someone offering you an olive branch, and you slapping their hand away.

Which approach would you prefer?  The open discussion format such as this, or Mike and Gavin just forcing things down our throat?  I think I'll vote for this approach.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
I understand that companies like Circle (who are BIP101 backers) have Goldman Sachs and Moneygram as investors  Cheesy

I fail to see the conflict of interest.  What does Goldman and Moneygram have to do with anything ?

Still waiting for an explanation on this one Carlton.   Has your bias on this debate degraded your thinking

and other extensibility.  I think that is a very solid argument.

The investors in circle coinbase etc want to either cripple or centralise Bitcoin. They are funding Gavin and Hearn to do that. 'Solid argument'.  Plausible on the surface.

Actually, both arguments are idiotic ad-hominems. Both sides need to reduce the temptation of using them. It just adds vitriol to the debate.

btw most of the people including core-devs who disagree with XT are not from blockstream

blockstream gains from keeping block small is questionable and minimal if even existent. Its a very long bow to draw

there are much easier ways for core devs to make way more money then trying to keep blocks small in some hope they can make money of open source infrastructure

the core devs have a long history of being motivated primarily by privacy and tech not by money

lightning network is open source and blockstreams business model is crappy, it receives not revenue. Its essentially a way to  fund devs so they can work on common-good infrastructure. Infact its probably the best way for them to be funded yet remain independent.

We can accuse both sides of bad motives but I think one side wants main chain scaling and one wants off chain scaling.  would you agree?

@Envrin below...I want bigger blocks.  period. ASAP. If you want discussions, that's fine, looks like you're getting them.  I've already sided with Gavin and the industry leaders who favor Bip 101.  But, any reasonable proposal for bigger blocks would be great such as Bip 100 or Bip 102.
Activity: 277
Merit: 250

and other extensibility.  I think that is a very solid argument.

The investors in circle coinbase etc want to either cripple or centralise Bitcoin. They are funding Gavin and Hearn to do that. 'Solid argument'.  Plausible on the surface.

lightning network is open source and blockstreams business model is crappy, it receives not revenue. Its essentially a way to  fund devs so they can work on common-good infrastructure. Infact its probably the best way for them to be funded yet remain independent.

legendary

No fork, no altcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009
People who feel the need to call XT an altcoin (when the reality is that it will only fork if there's a supermajority of miners running it) are mischaracterizing it, which is a form of intellectual dishonesty. Apparently they need to try to control opinions because they are afraid of letting the economic majority do something that they don't agree with.
There's a reasoning behind calling XT an altcoin, to which I partly agree (though I think altcoin is too bold).
Of course you are implying that you're right here, and they are wrong, while they think the opposite way.

I just don't think there's anything bad in being afraid or suspicious when the economic majority is against you (in fact, it isn't). Quite the contrary, I think it's natural. Being afraid of 'small blocks' is nothing different.

unclear if you mean "right" about the labelling of XT or whether it should be run.

My stance is that if 75% of the miners are running something, who am I to disagree.  
If I don't like it, I don't have to use it.
I mean "right" about your stance on XT not being an altcoin. It's only an opinion, unless we can strictly define what is an altcoin and what is a Bitcoin client.

The reality is that 0% miners are running XT, so why leave? We can argue instead. But I'm sure that some would leave if it hit 75%, that's reasonable, as it would be too late to argue. I personally consider this possibility.
People who feel the need to call XT an altcoin (when the reality is that it will only fork if there's a supermajority of miners running it) are mischaracterizing it, which is a form of intellectual dishonesty. Apparently they need to try to control opinions because they are afraid of letting the economic majority do something that they don't agree with.
There's a reasoning behind calling XT an altcoin, to which I partly agree (though I think altcoin is too bold).
Of course you are implying that you're right here, and they are wrong, while they think the opposite way.

I just don't think there's anything bad in being afraid or suspicious when the economic majority is against you (in fact, it isn't). Quite the contrary, I think it's natural. Being afraid of 'small blocks' is nothing different.

Bitcoin XT is an attack on Bitcoin consensus.

XT shills lead by Mike himself are trying to teach the controversy by spinning the debate into a governance issue.

They mainly use two talking points:

1. The BIP resolution process is broken. They are attempting to sell people into thinking the existing consensus-based development process has not worked. Now understand they have been setting this up from the beginning, stifling discussion and launching a PR campaign led by Gavin blog posts rather than approach the issue within the existing developer community.

Their solution: Mike Hearn, benevolent dictator.

2. That Bitcoin XT is just another Bitcoin implementation and in true open source nature we should have no right to oppose it. They argue their proposal respects the concept of "permissionless innovation".

"Let's throw this irresponsible half-baked chinese number pos in the open and consensus shall decide. Free market guys right!!!?"

This tactic has led a number of foolish sheep into this delusion that somehow there are problems within Bitcoin Core that are so absolutely irresolvable the whole development process should be thought again from the beginning starting with a central figure and a bunch of decentralization theater "implementations" non sense. Here's the kicker: they will pretend that this is how we all got started, with Satoshi, Gavin, blabla. All of this is a bunch of nonsense. You people have two things confused: reputation and authority.

The development of Bitcoin began with Satoshi leading the charge not because "the people", "the community" had made him "benevolent dictator" but because he, of course, had the most influential reputation and weight in decision for being the creator of the system. Don't try to tell me he'd make changes without asking you noobs opinion because he obviously knew better than to do that. Had he stayed with us and grown around the Bitcoin development community it makes no sense to suggest he would have continued to claim "authoritarian control". A part of me is convinced he left partly to avoid this cesspool of power grabs.

legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 7986

People who feel the need to call XT an altcoin (when the reality is that it will only fork if there's a supermajority of miners running it) are mischaracterizing it, which is a form of intellectual dishonesty.

XT IS the altcoin until it surpasses BTC in market cap. Its not a matter of opinion.
legendary

unclear if you mean "right" about the labelling of XT or whether it should be run.

My stance is that if 75% of the miners are running something, who am I to disagree. 
If I don't like it, I don't have to use it.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

legendary
Activity: 1372
--------------->¿?
it is inevitable that bitcoin is/will go to another level where every major governments and corporations will want a piece of it.

It is not.

Government control around the world is slowly disintegrating before our eyes. We only need to hold you animals off for so long.

Yup and bitcoin will only accelerate that but it doesn't mean they won't try. They will.
Don't expect governments to disappear though, they will adapt after hitting the hard reality of decentralization leaving them with less influence they currently have. Which is a good thing IMO.

Bitcoin is a trojan horse. Let it infiltrate the actual power structures around the world that think they can control it like anything else. They might have some influences but it is limited and they will eventually hit the wall of decentralization. Just like anybody else.

You want Bitcoin run by corporation puppets of the governement who the hell do you think you are fooling with you trojan horse preaching?

What I want is irrelevant to what will happen. You and I won't stop the inevitable.
it is inevitable that bitcoin is/will go to another level where every major governments and corporations will want a piece of it.

It is not.

Government control around the world is slowly disintegrating before our eyes. We only need to hold you animals off for so long.

Yup and bitcoin will only accelerate that but it doesn't mean they won't try. They will.
Don't expect governments to disappear though, they will adapt after hitting the hard reality of decentralization leaving them with less influence they currently have. Which is a good thing IMO.

Bitcoin is a trojan horse. Let it infiltrate the actual power structures around the world that think they can control it like anything else. They might have some influences but it is limited and they will eventually hit the wall of decentralization. Just like anybody else.

You want Bitcoin run by corporation puppets of the governement who the hell do you think you are fooling with you trojan horse preaching?
legendary
Activity: 1372
--------------->¿?

It is not.

legendary
If they want a piece of it then they want it to succeed.   Bip 101 lets it scale.

Retard arguments for the simple minded...

Since decentralization does not matter, the followers of Hearndresencoin can just use Paypal. There's no difference besides the personality cult around Andresen and Hearn.

Scaling bitcoin won't make it less decentralized to the point of jeopardising its robustness. The fear of centralization is overblown.

Of course scaling is possible without harming decentralization. Just not the way those two self-proclaimed "benevolent dictators" want to do it. Their proposal which (among other privacy-attacking features) is now included into their Altcoin is not a well-thought-out solution. That's why the vast majority of Bitcoin Core developers rejected it.

Andresen and Hearn are very good at making PR and bully for their own interests. However that doesn't make them good engineers.

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

It is not.

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
The problem lies with shitheads like Luke Dashjr who make changes unilaterally. He decides to make a Gentoo patch that blacklists sites. The bastard blacklisted SatoshiDice, BitcoinDice, Satoshibones, and Luckybit. He also blocked addresses operated by Mastercoin, and Counterparty without telling anyone. He used his pools power, disregarding the trust of his miners, to destroy an altcoin instead of mine Bitcoin which is what his miners signed up to do. As long as people like him are on the dev team I find it hard to trust anything they say or do because you won't find out until way after the fact that any change was made. When you involve corporate heads and government heads to operate your company and develop Bitcoin it's like having an entire team of Luke Dashjr's controlling Bitcoin. At that point I'm out. MasterCard, Visa and bank accounts have worked well for me so far, jumping the extra hoops to use Bitcoin won't be worth it, and the old financial system execs are in charge anyway so why change?

Luke is not a core developer and doesn't have commit access to Bitcoin's repo: https://bitcoin.org/en/development
Though it doesn't prevent him from doing stuff for Core, as many other contributors do.

My point remains. Who can I trust? I already don't trust Circle, Coinbase, a number of other Bitcoin businesses, a clear quarter of the dev team and half the mining pools. What am I left with? I could fire off a laundry list of things I disagree with that have been done by the dev team. Luke Dashjr is just the most extreme example of stupidity. They deliver a signed letter about this great new direction and open consensus that's going to happen. Pfft, they're about as open as the Bitcoin Foundation and agree with community consensus about as much as a military base does. Whatever.

Gavin? 

LOL

You shouldn't have to trust anybody...

Of course you shouldn't. You shouldn't have to trust that a crazy gun toting cop isn't going to shoot you on a traffic stop. You shouldn't have to trust that your bank isn't going to freeze your account. You also shouldn't have to trust that a crazy Bitcoin coder isn't going to cripple your Linux OS with a blacklisting patch.

But we do.
Pages:
Jump to: