Pages:
Author

Topic: Analysis - page 85. (Read 941567 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
March 30, 2017, 12:59:23 PM
You think it would be more profitable than mining ETH?  We have to assume that ETH will continue going up as BTC goes down due to this HF as has been the case.

Likely so: there not so many more gpu miners globally than ethereum miners. Maybe 3-4X. And even at half price btc is still 10X the eth price.
Problem is that it would last some months only, until new asics get produced for the new PoW, and then we would be back at step 1.

Yeah, Jihan leading the BU charge is a ASIC manufacturer, the biggest I believe.  It would likely not take him long to ramp up production of such devices.
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064
Bitcoin is antisemitic
March 30, 2017, 12:57:17 PM
You think it would be more profitable than mining ETH?  We have to assume that ETH will continue going up as BTC goes down due to this HF as has been the case.

Likely so: there not so many more gpu miners globally than ethereum miners. Maybe 3-4X. And even at half price btc is still 10X the eth price.
Problem is that it would last some months only, until new asics get produced for the new PoW, and then we would be back at step 1.
legendary
March 30, 2017, 12:40:41 PM
legendary
Bitcoin is antisemitic
March 30, 2017, 12:39:15 PM
Lets assume for the sake of argument that those GPUs are mining ETH being highly profitable at the moment and likely rising in price if the HF drama intensifies in an inversely correlated price relationship with Bitcoin.  If the HF happens Bitcoin price will tank hard, that is almost a certainty.  So ETH shoots up, BTC drops down why would those GPU miners jump on a BTC pool if they make more money mining ETH?

it depends: if the PoW of BTC gets changed in order to be GPU-only, then it may be profitable.
Without changing PoW no one will even try to mine btc with a GPU.
legendary
March 30, 2017, 12:30:06 PM
Lets assume for the sake of argument that those GPUs are mining ETH being highly profitable at the moment and likely rising in price if the HF drama intensifies in an inversely correlated price relationship with Bitcoin.  If the HF happens Bitcoin price will tank hard, that is almost a certainty.  So ETH shoots up, BTC drops down why would those GPU miners jump on a BTC pool if they make more money mining ETH?

legendary
Activity: 1246
March 30, 2017, 12:23:53 PM
Somehow I doubt that very much, do you have any numbers to prove your claim?  100 million is a lot of money they can throw at this war.

Bitcoin is almost a 20 billion market, almost every Bitcoin user has a GPU ready to mine with. Many of us have multiple GPUs from mining altcoins or bitcoins in the old days. 100 million is peanuts, I would love to see them pissing those 100 million away to try and kill Bitcoin. But they're probably bluffing anyway just trying to sound really tough and mean lol.
legendary
March 30, 2017, 12:09:45 PM
Somehow I doubt that very much, do you have any numbers to prove your claim?  100 million is a lot of money they can throw at this war.

100 millions to seize a 20 billions' toy sounds like cheap.
And then you cannot concentrate large fractions of the total hashrate in the same place with GPUs.

Its a small price to pay for gaining control of Bitcoin, especially considering its potential MCAP in the future.  Many people don't seem to realize that or suffer from cognitive dissonance.
legendary
Bitcoin is antisemitic
March 30, 2017, 12:07:47 PM

100 millions to seize a 20 billions' toy sounds like cheap.
And then you cannot concentrate large fractions of the total hashrate in the same place with GPUs.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 2793
Shitcoin Minimalist
March 30, 2017, 12:06:27 PM

Can you prove they'll actually blow $100 million to kill bitcoin? People say a lot of things.
legendary
March 30, 2017, 11:58:53 AM
legendary
Activity: 1246
March 30, 2017, 10:26:20 AM
Can't stop it if it's only mineable by CPU. I doubt even they could stop a GPU-Algo. Too many GPU-rigs from Ethereum that will flip to mine the new Bitcoin chain. And they don't produce GPUs themselves, they would have to buy them from AMD. And AMD can produce only so many at a time.

100 million dollars buys a lot of GPU equipment.

Drop in a bucket to the total amount of GPU equipment that would be ready to mine and secure the Bitcoin blockchain.
legendary
March 30, 2017, 10:10:06 AM
Can't stop it if it's only mineable by CPU. I doubt even they could stop a GPU-Algo. Too many GPU-rigs from Ethereum that will flip to mine the new Bitcoin chain. And they don't produce GPUs themselves, they would have to buy them from AMD. And AMD can produce only so many at a time.

100 million dollars buys a lot of GPU equipment.
Activity: 235
Merit: 100
March 30, 2017, 07:39:11 AM
ImI
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019
March 30, 2017, 04:40:58 AM
Core should hardfork to another Algo and activate Segwit at the same time.
Who the hell needs Sha256-Asic farms. Any PoW algo is fine.
The sooner the better. The Sha256 Bitcoin would soon be irrelevant, and the new fork will take the name Bitcoin.

Bitmain CEO Jihan Wu and other miners are foes. They aren't even able to load up a 5 min. video of themselves on youtube and state why they mine BU. There is something shady going on and it should be ended with full force.

Its not as easy as that, mining cartel has stated they have 100 million dollars set aside to destroy the Core fork even if they adapt another algo.

And they have all the right to do so. If you invest in mining equipment it's obv your choice what to do with it. That's called free capitalism.
STT
legendary
Activity: 4060
Merit: 1448
March 29, 2017, 11:01:53 PM
What the heck, why do they need to destroy anything.  Whats wrong with creating something superior and believing in capitalism.  If you dont believe in yourself and your product enough to think it will succeed then you have already lost, plans to destroy others just confirms your failure to everybody else.   If thats seriously their stated deployment for a new coin, its obvious to me they will not progress crypto currency.  Maybe they make a profit that way somehow, but its of no benefit to anybody else.

I always thought overly centralized hashing would be a negative, maybe their destiny is to prove that point.
Activity: 807
Merit: 423
March 29, 2017, 06:21:39 PM
The sooner the better. The Sha256 Bitcoin would soon be irrelevant, and the new fork will take the name Bitcoin.

Bitmain CEO Jihan Wu and other miners are foes. They aren't even able to load up a 5 min. video of themselves on youtube and state why they mine BU. There is something shady going on and it should be ended with full force.

Three chains instead of two.
What could go wrong?
legendary
March 29, 2017, 06:00:43 PM

Its not as easy as that, mining cartel has stated they have 100 million dollars set aside to destroy the Core fork even if they adapt another algo.
Activity: 235
Merit: 100
March 29, 2017, 05:59:04 PM

Activity: 499
Merit: 500
March 29, 2017, 12:53:21 AM
Anything new from the master?

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/BTCUSD/AVRDIIr7-At-strong-support/

Selected area has a massive support including linear and log long term support trendline , daily ma200 and weekly ma20.

Also commented here (in Russian) https://vk.com/bitcoin_vanga:

Bullish wedge forming, let's see if Bitcoin likes it. Once $1120 is broken, next target 1300+, by the book. I'd like to add that a powerful logarithmic trend that's been forming for 1.5 years is currently boosting the support.

I don't think $1000 will be broken on a weekly timeframe. There is a lot of support gathering there: daily MA2000, weekly MA20, logarithmic and linear long-term trends.
Activity: 665
Merit: 500
March 28, 2017, 06:46:41 PM
Hi, Could you give any more references/info about your third point?

What does mean they submitted to a questionnaire? Could you withdraw at the end?

If not, could you at least withdraw your BTC?

Thx

Yes, they asked me a list of questions about how I came in possession of my coins. I answered, and then they performed the money wire that I requested, but warned me that they could ask me even more questions in the future. If you do a search here about Bitstamp you will see that it happened to many others.

Since I had just sold and asked a wire I guess that if I did not answer they would have forced me to buy back btc and withdraw that. I did not hear that they scammed anyone up to now, but still this AML paranoia together with the blockchain risks to kill bitcoin fungibility.

Happened to me as well last week. Totally normal KYC procedure imo. I'm not worried.
Pages:
Jump to: