Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANALYSIS] Altcoin Investing - page 11. (Read 41067 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030
January 20, 2014, 09:10:13 AM
Freetrade would be cool if you can say something about worldcoin / earthcoin / netcoin / betacoin  too because i hold alot of them...

There must be a hundred coins that I haven't even heard of yet. Ill be adding more to the list soon, but I'm interested if anyone can point to any that address any of the three questions.
legendary
Activity: 1292
Merit: 1000
January 20, 2014, 06:52:49 AM
Litecoin increased in value by ~32,000% last year! Bitcoin only managed a measly ~5500%. Litecoin is also the number one traded crypto in China. Its take up by Gox, Coinbase and Bitstamp will have a HUGE effect on its price.

Yes, this is why it doesn't make a good investment - any gains coming from being the first successful altcoin are already factored in. I don't see it outperforming Bitcoin, but with significant potential to underperform. Sorry, all I see with this one are bag holders.

Your Guide could be treated as impartial.
But you have made one, but reveal misstep...

0/10 for Litecoin
http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/v2/coins/graphicalComparison

Pity, to much litecoin hate between the lines... Smiley
legendary
January 20, 2014, 06:27:40 AM
Litecoin increased in value by ~32,000% last year! Bitcoin only managed a measly ~5500%. Litecoin is also the number one traded crypto in China. Its take up by Gox, Coinbase and Bitstamp will have a HUGE effect on its price.

Yes, this is why it doesn't make a good investment - any gains coming from being the first successful altcoin are already factored in. I don't see it outperforming Bitcoin, but with significant potential to underperform. Sorry, all I see with this one are bag holders.
legendary
Activity: 1292
January 20, 2014, 05:26:52 AM
FreeTrade's Anti-Scrypt Guide To Altcoins He's Personally Invested In

+1

Let's say you want a modest 100X return on your investment. You need 1BTC to go from $800 to $80,000. The cost to keep BTC at $80,000? Every day $300 million (3,600*$80000) has to enter the market. It's difficult to see how that happens.

Only one Bill Gates - has more money than all mined and not yet mined bitcoins at current price,
so 100x ROI =>  TOP 100 Forbes investing a bit in bitcoin Smiley

"but realistically, who can wait that long to be a billionaire"

They could wait, and large serious bussiness can wait,

So, coin for fast, easy money...

Why didn't you start with a coin where 90% is mined at first not year but day, 10% second day,
and then also 2% per year.

Seems to be definitely better than Memorycoin v2.0, right?

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 2793
Shitcoin Minimalist
January 20, 2014, 02:51:12 AM
FreeTrade's Anti-Scrypt Guide To Altcoins He's Personally Invested In
legendary
January 20, 2014, 02:42:51 AM
What about the so called 2nd gen coins - Mastercoin and NXT with explicit decentralised P2P exchange support? (Guess I should include Ripple with these - despite being overtly corporate)

Yes, been getting a lot of questions about those - how do you think they address the big 3 questions?
legendary
Activity: 882
January 20, 2014, 02:01:01 AM
Concerning Bitcoin's future value, I always like to discuss this article by rick falkvinge: http://falkvinge.net/2013/03/06/the-target-value-for-bitcoin-is-not-some-50-or-100-it-is-100000-to-1000000/

Yeah, that's a good article and I was influenced by it early on. However, I don't think he takes inflation into account . . . he's talking about Bitcoin as if they are shares that are 100% issued already . . . but 50% of Bitcoins are still to be mined, so to reach those levels in the short time, trillions of dollars have to flow into Bitcoin . . . if there was 0% inflation already, it could reach those levels much more easily because only small numbers of Bitcoins need to be traded at those high levels.

By considering inflation, you just need to divide his number by 2 not 100 or 1000.
legendary
January 20, 2014, 01:57:26 AM
A coin for voting and ranking in the blockchain?

Think politics, community self-arrangement, social networking, etc.  Potential incentives for user content generation, ranking, and navigation based on wallet ID and user-community reputation.  Adds another dimension to prisoner's dilemma, betting, bluffing, bidding games.  Then even commercial applications like auctions, proposals, bidding, supply chain traceability, and configuration control. 

As ever, Max, you're way ahead of me.
legendary
January 20, 2014, 01:35:48 AM
Concerning Bitcoin's future value, I always like to discuss this article by rick falkvinge: http://falkvinge.net/2013/03/06/the-target-value-for-bitcoin-is-not-some-50-or-100-it-is-100000-to-1000000/

Yeah, that's a good article and I was influenced by it early on. However, I don't think he takes inflation into account . . . he's talking about Bitcoin as if they are shares that are 100% issued already . . . but 50% of Bitcoins are still to be mined, so to reach those levels in the short time, trillions of dollars have to flow into Bitcoin . . . if there was 0% inflation already, it could reach those levels much more easily because only small numbers of Bitcoins need to be traded at those high levels.
Activity: 798
‘Try to be nice’
January 20, 2014, 01:18:07 AM
I definitely agree with you that Quark and Protoshares look great. I wish you mentioned transaction times as I feel like BTC and LTC are lacking there. It's simply amazing that no one points out that QuarkCoin has 12x faster transactions than BTC and the fastest confirmation in the crypto game at 28-36 seconds. Serious in-store merchant potential.

I know Quark and Litecoin folks think block confirmation time is important. Personally I don't. When ordering via BitPay, you're getting immediate confirmation. Retail merchants will offload the risk of double spends to third party processors - much better than asking folks to wait for a confirmation that may come in 30 seconds, or 30 seconds after that or . . ..
Sorry - no extra points for fast block times - I'm more inclined to see that as a negative because it weakens blockchain security.

Generally agreed , but I'd add that under 30 seconds would need added security and an active development tream but over 60 seconds starts to look redundant based on the evidence that has been presented, and when one takes into account other security measures.

So from 30 to 60 seconds strikes a balance of security and native client speed .

Why there are actually advantages to faster block times (that are also secure) are in the instance where for example there is no trusted long term party, so like for example in a "cash transaction" this is where business can be conducted in a much more efficient manner.

So in Summary it's an extra added benefit for private transactions, but for trusted well known third party transactional movements, block times are the same as any other well developed cryptocurrency.

Regards.
legendary
January 20, 2014, 01:03:34 AM
I definitely agree with you that Quark and Protoshares look great. I wish you mentioned transaction times as I feel like BTC and LTC are lacking there. It's simply amazing that no one points out that QuarkCoin has 12x faster transactions than BTC and the fastest confirmation in the crypto game at 28-36 seconds. Serious in-store merchant potential.

I know Quark and Litecoin folks think block confirmation time is important. Personally I don't. When ordering via BitPay, you're getting immediate confirmation. Retail merchants will offload the risk of double spends to third party processors - much better than asking folks to wait for a confirmation that may come in 30 seconds, or 30 seconds after that or . . ..
Sorry - no extra points for fast block times - I'm more inclined to see that as a negative because it weakens blockchain security.
legendary
Activity: 1204
to your stations, man the pineapples!!!
January 20, 2014, 12:42:22 AM
dogecoin is a curiousity.
has the potential from pure marketing, and seemingly a very keen community - although i'm unsure how that equates into real development.

and i think that a global sort of dev body could be useful, any potential issues with bitcoin will no doubt be felt by all the other coins..
legendary
Activity: 882
January 20, 2014, 12:27:19 AM
All your reasoning is based on one assumption: all coins have the same potential to be accepted by the mainstream. This, however, is far from the reality. To be honest, I think there's only one coin could be accepted by the mainstream and currently that is bitcoin. Therefore, comparing it with all your other listing is meaningless. Bitcoin is never competing with any altcoin, but the fiat system and the governments.

Among other listings, memorycoins is your one-man show. Give it 3/3 for the support is a complete bias. Adding voting for CTO, CFO, ... is just your marketing effort and it does not really give you any real support like a company. Moreover, 1000x ROI means the market cap exceeds LiteCoin, and memorycoin becomes the second largest coin in the world. Really ambitious. Smiley

Anyway, I wish what you said could be true cause I've mined a block in the early days of memorycoin. Smiley
legendary
January 20, 2014, 12:08:51 AM
No mention of zetacoin?

I haven't looked into that coin yet - how does it answer the big 3 questions?
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
January 19, 2014, 11:32:15 PM
everyone is recommending to invest in litecoin because it can get 20x value, i doubt that too, litecoin is nothing for me.. its just still popular because its the coin after bitcoin.. ( and because people are still recommending it )

Freetrade would be cool if you can say something about worldcoin / earthcoin / netcoin / betacoin  too because i hold alot of them...

and the upcoming zerocoin, i think if zerocoin can be included in bitcoin to make it totally anonym then bitcoin will skyrocket and destroy the moon Tongue
this is where everyone is wrong...litecoin isnt just popular cuz its bitcoins number 2...its completely differant than bitcoin with the mining being scrypt...this is what seperates the 2 not OMG ITS BITCOINS NUMBER 2 SO ITS GOOD TO
they are completely different beasts
just like these new coins like memorycoin are differant than all the others, litecoin was the first to differentiate from bitcoin, it isnt just BITCOINS NUMBER 2 ZOMG BUY
Activity: 490
Merit: 504
January 19, 2014, 11:27:44 PM
so what about Nxt?

Activity: 686
Merit: 251
I'm investigating Crypto Projects
January 19, 2014, 11:26:52 PM
Thanks man every since I discovered altcoins a few weeks ago my head is exploding from hype and information overload. I need to get some reasoning going and figure out what way to proceed. Your post is the first sanity I ran into. Thanks!
legendary
January 19, 2014, 11:21:09 PM
What do you think of Mastercoin, Datacoin???

Planning to add thoughts on more coins in the coming days and weeks.
legendary
Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006
January 19, 2014, 06:35:56 PM
Feel like you forgot Peercoin.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
January 19, 2014, 06:17:26 PM
everyone is recommending to invest in litecoin because it can get 20x value, i doubt that too, litecoin is nothing for me.. its just still popular because its the coin after bitcoin.. ( and because people are still recommending it )

and the upcoming zerocoin, i think if zerocoin can be included in bitcoin to make it totally anonym then bitcoin will skyrocket and destroy the moon Tongue
Pages:
Jump to: