Pages:
Author

Topic: Android Bitcoin Client Bounty (1740 BTC pledged) - page 6. (Read 44734 times)

Activity: 337
Merit: 265
Wait a second, I thought this is about a full implementation of Bitcoin on top of Android and not some remoting.

You can run bitcoind on the phone. This even makes your wallet compatible with the desktop version.
Activity: 489
Merit: 504
Wait a second, I thought this is about a full implementation of Bitcoin on top of Android and not some remoting. I'm implementing the whole stack in Java for a native Bitcoin app.

Personally I prefer remote solution because I don't want to have my coins on mobile phone for security reasons. So handling wallet + QR codes are enough for me and I want to support this solution. This does not mean I won't pay you for full Android stack, too.
Good point, I'm using the Android BackupManager to save and restore the wallet once it's implemented, so keeping things on a phone wont be too risky, just restore and transfer to another account :-)
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
Wait a second, I thought this is about a full implementation of Bitcoin on top of Android and not some remoting. I'm implementing the whole stack in Java for a native Bitcoin app.

Personally I prefer remote solution because I don't want to have my coins on mobile phone for security reasons. So handling wallet + QR codes are enough for me and I want to support this solution. This does not mean I won't pay you for full Android stack, too.
legendary
SSL works in theory. In practice, there's either a bug in browsers or bitcoind that prevents a reliable connection. I hope to resolve that within the next days.

Great, then I send you the rest of my bounty.
SSL works in theory. In practice, there's either a bug in browsers or bitcoind that prevents a reliable connection. I hope to resolve that within the next days.
legendary
Does this qualify for the bounty?

I like your solution (but didn't tested it on phone yet). Unfortunately current version is still unusable because nobody will open own bitcoind RPC to internet and send plain username/password over it. I don't know how difficult is to add SSL layer, but once this will be solved somehow, my 50BTC is yours.
My js-remote is fully working on Android and supports local transactions by displaying QR codes on the phone and scanning them with the camera. It's also possible to display QR codes on a computer and send Bitcoins to it from a phone.

Does this qualify for the bounty?
cdecker: I hate ads in Android apps, how about a paid client?
I see some interesting possibilities here. What if the app would transfer a small fraction of a bitcoin to Cdecker, once for every day in which the user made a transfer? Or perhaps, users could send, with the app, a certain amount to Cdecker and in doing so disable the ads?
Oh please no!
Automatically stealing a few cents per transaction would start the whole mess about the puddinpop cuda client again, don't worry I'll probably stick to opensourcing the core and make an ad based Frontend and give people the option to disable the ads by sending me a few coins :-)
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072
that's about $400... that's a measly amount for work like this that'd take time.
Sure, but people can reasonably add conditions to their bounties that require FOSS attributes.

Read the quote I was quoting. It was the person saying whether $400 isn't enough. Hint: it isn't, unless you want to do it & the $400 is a bonus. This is a perfectly doable task but would take quite a while to do to perfection (which personally if I'm taking people's money then I do want to). Grin
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
that's about $400... that's a measly amount for work like this that'd take time.
Sure, but people can reasonably add conditions to their bounties that require FOSS attributes.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072
1740 BTC is not enough for you?

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
Ad supported software has it's place, but not on my hardware.  Only open source software qualifies for my bounty contribution.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
1740 BTC is not enough for you?
Activity: 322
I see some interesting possibilities here. What if the app would transfer a small fraction of a bitcoin to Cdecker, once for every day in which the user made a transfer? Or perhaps, users could send, with the app, a certain amount to Cdecker and in doing so disable the ads?
Activity: 292
Apparently I inspired this image.
I hope in the lecture break I'll find some more time to spend on this one :-)

Will you be taking on this project? Where the source code repository for the android client?
I'm pretty sure that I'll open source the protocol and wallet implementation, to improve reliability by peer review and augment trust in my code. What I'm still playing with is the thought of creating an Ad supported Android client, which would not be opensourced right away, since I know pretty good how that would turn out (people would just strip my ads and take the code and republish it without them). Since there is some serious time involved in creating the infrastructure needed to run an Android client (and the Java Protocol implementation for that matter) I think it would be nice to get something off it Smiley
Activity: 238
Merit: 10
It would be great to add support for transfers via the new Near Field Communications standard rather than through a centralized service like bu.mp.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

Will you be taking on this project? Where the source code repository for the android client?
Working on the Java implementation of the protocol: this protocol really has everything a Java Programmer doesn't like, lots of unsigned numbers (unsigned long requires to be mapped to BigInteger...) and little endian, which makes it particularly awful to read stuff from the wire. Anyhow today I read my first single message from the wire dump ^^
Pages:
Jump to: